Nigeria moves up to #3 in Africa FIFA rankings

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Nigeria moves up to #3 in Africa FIFA rankings

Post by 1naija »

ANC wrote:
1naija wrote:
ANC wrote:The fact of the matter is, Nigeria stand a better chance against the like of Algeria, Morocco and even Senegal to some extent.
I remember ANC 2000, when I was so sure Nigeria would beat Cameroon, a Cameroonian school mate was confidently sure the game would turn out otherwise.

Nigeria should not wish to face Ghana or Cameroon with a WC ticket on the line, not at least with the current crop of players.
History matters in football ya know?

I'm glad you and your friend remember the 2000 ANC game against Cameroon but don't remember the more recent 2017 WC qualifier against them. As for Ghana, good luck counting on them to pick the WC ticket ahead of us. You must have forgotten how they were jubilating with us after we beat them in Port Harcourt to pick the WC ticket .
:laugh:
that should have been investigated by fifa.
Quit living in the past, you dont hear me talking about your Yellow Cab anymore, do u?

Sorry I forgot ANC 2000 is living in the present.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

1naija wrote:
ANC wrote:
1naija wrote:
ANC wrote:The fact of the matter is, Nigeria stand a better chance against the like of Algeria, Morocco and even Senegal to some extent.
I remember ANC 2000, when I was so sure Nigeria would beat Cameroon, a Cameroonian school mate was confidently sure the game would turn out otherwise.

Nigeria should not wish to face Ghana or Cameroon with a WC ticket on the line, not at least with the current crop of players.

I'm glad you and your friend remember the 2000 ANC game against Cameroon but don't remember the more recent 2017 WC qualifier against them. As for Ghana, good luck counting on them to pick the WC ticket ahead of us. You must have forgotten how they were jubilating with us after we beat them in Port Harcourt to pick the WC ticket .
Quit living in the past, you dont hear me talking about your Yellow Cab anymore, do u?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Damunk wrote:
1naija wrote:
ANC wrote:
1naija wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

smdh
forest for the trees.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

vancity eagle wrote:
ANC wrote:Just done be upset when this comes to bite you in the @$$ in the third round of world cup qualification, when you end of with Ghana/Cameroon/Ivory Coast etc

So you rather we face Algeria, Senegal, Morocco ?

So long as we win most of our next 6 qualifying games and qualify of course we will be top 5.

I only worry about Ivory Coast, should they get past Cameroon which I fully expect them to do. They have a lot of talent, and if it all comes together at the perfect time, it will be tough for us to beat them.

Anyways I hope some of the favoured teams like Egypt and Tunisia get knocked out so somehow Ivory Coast can make top 5.
Cameroun always destroy Ivory coast.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I can see us getting Ivory Coast in the World Cup play-off. I am not worried though as they are beatable.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

1naija wrote:Nigeria is currently the most dangerous team in Africa. If there is no wuru wuru at this nations cup, we will win it easily. None of the teams can match our fire power. We are not too solid on defense but we can defend when we have to. Our midfield is as good as any on the continent.

Only Algeria come close. But they wont get another own goal from Ekong and a fantastic last minute free kick from mahrez to beat us this time.
Yeah I agree. We will win the Nations Cup.

I haven’t made a statement like that in at least 20 years, I think. But Im confident we’ll win this one. We have all we need to do so, and the players have the right mentality
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Damunk wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:Where are the haters who open threads to complain about how SE goes down in FIFA rankings.

Thanks to 2 straight wins, something neither Algeria, Morocco, Senegal, Egypt , or Ghana could achieve we have moved up to #3 in Africa.

- Senegal (22nd)
- Tunisia (26th)
- Nigeria (32nd)
- Algeria (33rd)
- Morocco (34th)

We moved up 4 places from #36 to #32.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Let's see...who was the first to jump on CE to tell us when we dropped places?
And who were those joining the celebration? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=302532
No doubt, Bigpokey24 is number one among them. In fact, Bigpokey24 is numbers one, two, three, four and five - consecutively
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Odas wrote:
Damunk wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:Where are the haters who open threads to complain about how SE goes down in FIFA rankings.

Thanks to 2 straight wins, something neither Algeria, Morocco, Senegal, Egypt , or Ghana could achieve we have moved up to #3 in Africa.

- Senegal (22nd)
- Tunisia (26th)
- Nigeria (32nd)
- Algeria (33rd)
- Morocco (34th)

We moved up 4 places from #36 to #32.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Let's see...who was the first to jump on CE to tell us when we dropped places?
And who were those joining the celebration? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=302532
No doubt, Bigpokey24 is number one among them. In fact, Bigpokey24 is numbers one, two, three, four and five - consecutively

I remember when Arsenal celebrated coming third in the league, this was right after the Kanu/Henry era.
That was the beginning Arsenal FC decline to a mid level team.
Just saying...Five years to get to this point?
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

Hmmmm......from your mouth to God's ears!
I am not so bullish as you and some of the other posters on this thread.
Every time we've won the ANC, one of our top tier African brethren have set us a tactical conundrum we overcame on the way to winning it all

ANC 1980 - Tough semi vs Morocco won 1 - 0
ANC 1994 - Tough semi vs CIV 2-2 won on penalties
ANC 2013 - Tough qf vs CIV won 2 - 1

What each of all these teams had were coaches who were flexible and able to adjust in real time as things evolved during these games; they also had some excellent leaders playing in key positions and benches that made a difference.

ANC 2019 - Tough semi vs Algeria lost 1-0

Misleading score line above because they were CLEARLY better than us in almost every department; I hate to admit it but it's a fact.
Our coach wasn't able to do anything tactically or personnel-wise to change this; even though there is a very strong argument to make that beyond Mahrez we had a squad at least as good as the Algerians if not better.

So fast forward to the build-up to 2022, I think we have a much better goalie and health permitting a no 9 that can score goals for fun and makes whoever he's playing with better.

Midfield? Ndidi/Etebo played in that game, are we better? What if Ndidi gets injured?

Defense? Troost/Balogun also played but don't fill me with confidence unless we can somehow add a third CB like Awaziem/Akpoguma without sacrificing our ability to create chances at will. Teams will press us high because of our well documented weaknesses and we are susceptible to the counter......

Not so sure......so can the argument be made that we are the most "dangerous" team in Africa going into the ANC? What about Algeria who are arguably better than 2019? CIV with additions like Boly/Haller and Zaha still in the mix? Senegal? Morrocco? The hosts...?

At some point Rohr will have to prove his mettle tactically even as he tries to find better pieces for his default tactical framework; hopefully he proves me wrong

He is a safety first coach and won't throw the shackles off but maybe, just maybe he will have enough individual talent to go the extra step.....

In closing we have WC qualifiers that will give us more insight into what we might be capable of and give the likes of Sadiq and some of the other pretenders an opportunity to show how they might fit in or not....and if we don't qualify the mood will be very different likely with a different coach starting from scratch....
1naija wrote:Nigeria is currently the most dangerous team in Africa. If there is no wuru wuru at this nations cup, we will win it easily. None of the teams can match our fire power. We are not too solid on defense but we can defend when we have to. Our midfield is as good as any on the continent.

Only Algeria come close. But they wont get another own goal from Ekong and a fantastic last minute free kick from mahrez to beat us this time.
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ANC wrote:I remember when Arsenal celebrated coming third in the league, this was right after the Kanu/Henry era.
That was the beginning Arsenal FC decline to a mid level team.
Just saying...Five years to get to this point?
Na wa.
You love negative spin sha.
But why? What's the problem?
You truly think this is the highest we've been ranked "in five years"?

Just sayin'.... :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

Are we definitely playing all our home games in Lagos for sure?
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.