10 things Gernot Rohr needs to do to win Qatar 2022

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
10 things Gernot Rohr needs to do to win Qatar 2022

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] He needs to get Maduka Okoye and Francis Uzoho to work on sweeping. In today's world, the sweeper-goalkeeper is a must. Who is better with their feet should be the person to get the number one shirt

[2] He needs to get Tyronne Ebuehi and Ola Aina working on crosses. Whoever is going to play in that position needs to be able to whip in crosses like Finidi George

[3] Zaidu Sanusi and Jamillu Collins/Calvin Bassey need to be trained to gallop up and down the flanks non-stop. They need to have the energy of Roberto Carlos

[4] He needs to get centrebacks who play out of the back. To beat the high press, your centrebacks need to be able to play the ball out of the back. Personally, I am in favour of Awaziem and Adarabioyo playing this role. Rohr thus has got to set himself a goal of wooing Adarabioyo

[5] He needs to get Wildred Ndidi to learn how to play for 90 minutes without giving dangerous freekicks away. Too often he has conceded freekicks close to the penalty area that has cost us goals. I would also like Ogene Etebo well trained up as his understudy

[6] He needs to get Joe Aribo to up his game as a box-to-box midfielder. We all see the quality of the likes of Paul Pogba and I think Ariobo needs to try and bring his game up to that level. At the moment, I am not even sure he is better that Youri Tielemans. I would also like to see Alhasan Yusuf well trained up as his understudy

[7] To open stubborn defences, you need a world class playmaker of the calibre of Austin JJ Okocha. At the moment, we only have three candidates for the role - Ebere Zeze, Alex Iwobi and Michael Olise. Rohr has got to make wooing Ebere and Olise one of his main tasks

[8] Having a world class targetman who is complete striker is a huge bonus to any team as it gives you numerous scoring options. I for one have absolute faith in Victor Osimhen and believe he can develop into another Drogba or Eto'o. Rohr has to make sure, however, that he selects the best person for back-up. There are a lot of contenders including Onuachu, Awoniyi, Kayode, Sadiq, Dennis, Maja, Dessers and Olayinka. Rohr can only select one of these, so should resist the temptation to appease players and in the process make the team lopsided

[9] Out wide, he needs to pick his two most productive players who will get us goals. We need wide forwards who will cut in and score and not those who will constantly run into cul-de-sacs. If you ask me, at the moment, Samuel Kalu and Ademola Lookman are our best two in this area. I would add two more such players to the squad out of Samuel Chukwueze, Kelechi Iheanacho, Henry Onyekuru and Chidera Ejuke

[10] Nigeria does not score enough goals from set pieces. I would like to see the team work a lot more on this. Who for instance is our free kick expert?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: 10 things Gernot Rohr needs to do to win Qatar 2022

Post by Bigpokey24 »

What you wrote are only feasible with a tactical ept manager. We are deficient when it comes to tactics. 11 players are picked and sent to match up against the opposition. I am confident if we dig down and research, the last WCQs were successful because S.Yusuf was part of the coaching crew . Since then we've been presenting choosing and passing that as football
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] He needs to get Maduka Okoye and Francis Uzoho to work on sweeping. In today's world, the sweeper-goalkeeper is a must. Who is better with their feet should be the person to get the number one shirt

[2] He needs to get Tyronne Ebuehi and Ola Aina working on crosses. Whoever is going to play in that position needs to be able to whip in crosses like Finidi George

[3] Zaidu Sanusi and Jamillu Collins/Calvin Bassey need to be trained to gallop up and down the flanks non-stop. They need to have the energy of Roberto Carlos

[4] He needs to get centrebacks who play out of the back. To beat the high press, your centrebacks need to be able to play the ball out of the back. Personally, I am in favour of Awaziem and Adarabioyo playing this role. Rohr thus has got to set himself a goal of wooing Adarabioyo

[5] He needs to get Wildred Ndidi to learn how to play for 90 minutes without giving dangerous freekicks away. Too often he has conceded freekicks close to the penalty area that has cost us goals. I would also like Ogene Etebo well trained up as his understudy

[6] He needs to get Joe Aribo to up his game as a box-to-box midfielder. We all see the quality of the likes of Paul Pogba and I think Ariobo needs to try and bring his game up to that level. At the moment, I am not even sure he is better that Youri Tielemans. I would also like to see Alhasan Yusuf well trained up as his understudy

[7] To open stubborn defences, you need a world class playmaker of the calibre of Austin JJ Okocha. At the moment, we only have three candidates for the role - Ebere Zeze, Alex Iwobi and Michael Olise. Rohr has got to make wooing Ebere and Olise one of his main tasks

[8] Having a world class targetman who is complete striker is a huge bonus to any team as it gives you numerous scoring options. I for one have absolute faith in Victor Osimhen and believe he can develop into another Drogba or Eto'o. Rohr has to make sure, however, that he selects the best person for back-up. There are a lot of contenders including Onuachu, Awoniyi, Kayode, Sadiq, Dennis, Maja, Dessers and Olayinka. Rohr can only select one of these, so should resist the temptation to appease players and in the process make the team lopsided

[9] Out wide, he needs to pick his two most productive players who will get us goals. We need wide forwards who will cut in and score and not those who will constantly run into cul-de-sacs. If you ask me, at the moment, Samuel Kalu and Ademola Lookman are our best two in this area. I would add two more such players to the squad out of Samuel Chukwueze, Kelechi Iheanacho, Henry Onyekuru and Chidera Ejuke

[10] Nigeria does not score enough goals from set pieces. I would like to see the team work a lot more on this. Who for instance is our free kick expert?
U mean to qualify for Qatar? :sneaky:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

paj wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] He needs to get Maduka Okoye and Francis Uzoho to work on sweeping. In today's world, the sweeper-goalkeeper is a must. Who is better with their feet should be the person to get the number one shirt

U mean to qualify for Qatar? :sneaky:
You play too much!!
This time to win it all; we have the personnel but the psychology of it all wins you the cup. And all what he narrated are encapsulated in behavior and physiology
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
delisyomie don
Egg
Egg

Post by delisyomie don »

let them qualify first, do you think other Africa country in your group will just hand it over to you or to talk about 3rd round ?,with all this covi positive result or away football ground etc,or do you mean to qualify ?
Last edited by delisyomie don on Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thanks
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

Oyinbo call it “Delusions of Grandeur”!

Na so we dey tok of playing Brazil in ‘98 WC QF and lost 4-1 to Denmark in 2nd round

Make we kwalify first na.....????
delisyomie don wrote:let them qualify first, do you think other Africa country in your group will just hand it over to you talk about 3rd round,with all this covi positive result or away football ground etc,or do you mean to qualify ?
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

Oyinbo call it “Delusions of Grandeur”!

Na so we dey tok of playing Brazil in ‘98 WC QF and lost 4-1 to Denmark in 2nd round

delisyomie don wrote:let them qualify first, do you think other Africa country in your group will just hand it over to you talk about 3rd round,with all this covi positive result or away football ground etc,or do you mean to qualify ?
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

Ayo, in my opinion, he only has to do one thing for the SE to do very well at Qatar 2022, HE SHOULD RESIGN AND GO, let a competent foreign or local coach do the job. Amuneke or Oliseh will do a better job, shame Siasia is banned from football. But lets be honest enough with ourselves, after 5 years this guy has done nothing tangible and am glad we have a very challenging group for AFCON, our performance in Cameroun next year will drive home my point.
Truth needs no support system, it can stand firmly on its legs!!

COYS
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

tedder89 wrote:Oyinbo call it “Delusions of Grandeur”!

Do you think countries like Brazil, Argentina, Germany, England, France, Holland, Belgium, etc are just content to qualify? There are building teams that will win the whole thing.

By the time qualification is secured, it is too late for any wholesale changes. We Africans simply do not think long term! Frederick Lugard summed us up brilliantly in his 1922 book The Dual Mandate in British Tropical Africa.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

oluwaseye the 1st. wrote:Ayo, in my opinion, he only has to do one thing for the SE to do very well at Qatar 2022, HE SHOULD RESIGN AND GO, let a competent foreign or local coach do the job. Amuneke or Oliseh will do a better job, shame Siasia is banned from football. But lets be honest enough with ourselves, after 5 years this guy has done nothing tangible and am glad we have a very challenging group for AFCON, our performance in Cameroun next year will drive home my point.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
This your post seems even more deluded than the original post itself!

I am all for a 'competent" coach, even a world class one, but I am not going to delude myself that we have a proven international class coach within our shores OR a world class coach on the global stage that a) we can afford and b) is willing to come to Naija to do the dirty work.

So since you seem so convinced they are available, be kind enough to share.

Siasia, Amuneke and Oliseh that you mention are not entirely without their own catastrophic failings, so where does your supreme confidence in them come from? :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

oluwaseye the 1st. wrote:Ayo, in my opinion, he only has to do one thing for the SE to do very well at Qatar 2022, HE SHOULD RESIGN AND GO, let a competent foreign or local coach do the job. Amuneke or Oliseh will do a better job, shame Siasia is banned from football. But lets be honest enough with ourselves, after 5 years this guy has done nothing tangible and am glad we have a very challenging group for AFCON, our performance in Cameroun next year will drive home my point.
OMG! Here we go again! We should be careful what we wish for. As much as i look forward to Amuneke playing some part in future, please remove Oliseh & Siasia from the list. Both are good coaches but their player selections are atrocious. Oliseh who benched Mikel for Paul Onobi in a world cup qualifier were we struggled against Swaziland. I remember the AFCON 2017 qualifier away to Tanzania where we were totally outplayed and it took Carl Ikeme's heroics to get a point. Tanzania and Swaziland are nowhere as good as Benin Rep which Rohr beat home & away. Siasia, failed to qualify us for common AFCON twice. I remember just needing to beat Guinea at home to qualify for AFCON 2012, and he couldn't manage that. If Oliseh/Siasia were our coaches currently no way would we have this level of quality in our squad, instead we would have the likes of Victor Mboma etc, some hey yous in Russia, Turkey & Latvian leagues. Remember Oliseh/Siasia left us 14th place in Africa. I am however ready to give Amuneke the benefit of a doubt when Rohr's time is up with us given that he either unearthed/had a hand in unearthing talents like Osimhen, Iheanacho, Ndidi, Chukwueze, Uzoho etc.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Let us get real guys. If we want to win the World Cup, we need a coach like:

[1] Marcelo Bielsa
[2] Pep Guadiola
[3] Jurgen Klopp
[4] Carlo Ancelotti
[5] Jose Mourinho
[6] Gus Hiddink
[7] Hans-Dieter Flick
[8] Mauricio Pochettino
[9] Thomas Tuchel
[10] Luis Enrique
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Damunk wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
This your post seems even more deluded than the original post itself!

I am all for a 'competent" coach, even a world class one, but I am not going to delude myself that we have a proven international class coach within our shores OR a world class coach on the global stage that a) we can afford and b) is willing to come to Naija to do the dirty work.

So since you seem so convinced they are available, be kind enough to share.

Siasia, Amuneke and Oliseh that you mention are not entirely without their own catastrophic failings, so where does your supreme confidence in them come from? :idea:
How quickly we have forgotten the fact that Nigeria failed to qualify for back to back editions of the Africa Nations Cup..And when Hey You's! used to make match day team lists. Damn we are not even missing Mikel.

The team is naturally evolving and we now have proper competition in all positions even down to the goalkeepers. Players on their last legs have adequate replacements. The missing piece is the attacking m/f and there are options on the table..

Folks just think that a WC coach is just going to stroll in, wave a magic wand and win everything in sight :dream:
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Let us get real guys. If we want to win the World Cup, we need a coach like:

[1] Marcelo Bielsa
[2] Pep Guadiola
[3] Jurgen Klopp
[4] Carlo Ancelotti
[5] Jose Mourinho
[6] Gus Hiddink
[7] Hans-Dieter Flick
[8] Mauricio Pochettino
[9] Thomas Tuchel
[10] Luis Enrique
Westerhoff would never have made that list...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mr Shows wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Let us get real guys. If we want to win the World Cup, we need a coach like:

[1] Marcelo Bielsa
[2] Pep Guadiola
[3] Jurgen Klopp
[4] Carlo Ancelotti
[5] Jose Mourinho
[6] Gus Hiddink
[7] Hans-Dieter Flick
[8] Mauricio Pochettino
[9] Thomas Tuchel
[10] Luis Enrique
True. Westerhoff could never win the World Cup
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:

[1] Marcelo Bielsa
[2] Pep Guadiola
[3] Jurgen Klopp
[4] Carlo Ancelotti
[5] Jose Mourinho
[6] Gus Hiddink
[7] Hans-Dieter Flick
[8] Mauricio Pochettino
[9] Thomas Tuchel
[10] Luis Enrique
True. Westerhoff could never win the World Cup
Sure built a team that could have ...
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

To think we won with Olympics with a second rate Bonfere Jo..
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

[1] Marcelo Bielsa
[2] Pep Guadiola
[3] Jurgen Klopp
[4] Carlo Ancelotti
[5] Jose Mourinho
[6] Gus Hiddink
[7] Hans-Dieter Flick
[8] Mauricio Pochettino
[9] Thomas Tuchel
[10] Luis Enrique
how many WC titles do they have against their names?
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”