Kelechi "Senior Man" Iheanacho headliner on the Guardian

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

charlie
Egg
Egg
Kelechi "Senior Man" Iheanacho headliner on the Guardian

Post by charlie »

Kelechi Iheanacho: ‘People forget my name, they call me Senior Man’

Leicester’s Nigerian striker on the support he gets from Brendan Rodgers, how he overcame family tragedy and self-doubt, and why he loves playing alongside Jamie Vardy
Kelechi Iheanacho is referred to affectionately by his Leicester teammates as “Senior Man”, a nickname that until recently might have struck outsiders as sarcastic.

The player who could not usurp Sergio Agüero at Manchester City was for a long time the frustrated understudy to Jamie Vardy after moving to Leicester. But so far in 2021, at the age of 24, he is one of the most prolific strikers in English football. On Sunday Southampton may fear him more than anyone else in the semi-final of the FA Cup, a tournament in which he already holds three records.

For Iheanacho the quest to fulfil potential has been tough. He has had to overcome family tragedy and acute doubts. But even when he went a year at Leicester without scoring, he kept believing. His goals – 11 in his past 11 games – are a reward for persistence as well as talent.
Full article on the guardian.com
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... senior-man

Kelechi has been a model for football development. Talented youth player, patient understudy to a legend. And now coming into his own.
I was wrong to want him out of Leicester. His patience and hardwork is finally paying off, and I could not be prouder of him.

:clap: :clap:
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Kelechi "Senior Man" Iheanacho headliner on the Guardian

Post by Damunk »

charlie wrote:

Leicester’s Nigerian striker on the support he gets from Brendan Rodgers, how he overcame family tragedy and self-doubt, and why he loves playing alongside Jamie Vardy
Kelechi Iheanacho is referred to affectionately by his Leicester teammates as “Senior Man”, a nickname that until recently might have struck outsiders as sarcastic.

The player who could not usurp Sergio Agüero at Manchester City was for a long time the frustrated understudy to Jamie Vardy after moving to Leicester. But so far in 2021, at the age of 24, he is one of the most prolific strikers in English football. On Sunday Southampton may fear him more than anyone else in the semi-final of the FA Cup, a tournament in which he already holds three records.

For Iheanacho the quest to fulfil potential has been tough. He has had to overcome family tragedy and acute doubts. But even when he went a year at Leicester without scoring, he kept believing. His goals – 11 in his past 11 games – are a reward for persistence as well as talent.

Kelechi has been a model for football development. Talented youth player, patient understudy to a legend. And now coming into his own.
I was wrong to want him out of Leicester. His patience and hardwork is finally paying off, and I could not be prouder of him.

Excellent interview. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
So much for his allegedly "racist" manager Brendan Rogers who CE insisted had wanted to "sabotage Nacho's career".
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
charlie wrote:

So much for his allegedly "racist" manager Brendan Rogers who CE insisted had wanted to "sabotage Nacho's career".
:rotf: I still no trust that guy, inside inside e no happy to see Kele shine...wait till Barnes and hin pets return to full fitness...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
charlie wrote:

:rotf: I still no trust that guy, inside inside e no happy to see Kele shine...wait till Barnes and hin pets return to full fitness...
maceo4, all that wan na sentiment.
Its not as if Barnes or Maddison have not equally justified their roles this season.
Its about systems and what is found to work best.

No manager manages on pure sentiment.
Their jobs are on the line, even much more than yours or mine.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote:
charlie wrote:

Was he supposed to say otherwise? We may only find out the truth when Rodgers is no longer his manager. Even Leicester fans felt that Rodgers had a thing against Kelechi.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
charlie wrote:

Was he supposed to say otherwise? We may only find out the truth when Rodgers is no longer his manager. Even Leicester fans felt that Rodgers had a thing against Kelechi.
But he didn't need to say anything on that specific matter.
He always has three options: Praise, disparage or stay neutral and say nothing.
He chose to praise and we are in no position whatsoever to believe he was lying.

We are fans - forever sentimental and often too far removed from reality. :lol:
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
charlie wrote:

But he didn't need to say anything on that specific matter.
He always has three options: Praise, disparage or stay neutral and say nothing.
He chose to praise and we are in no position whatsoever to believe he was lying.

We are fans - forever sentimental and often too far removed from reality. :lol:
He was probably asked about the manager (unless you have a transcript of the interview) and you expect him to say something negative? Rodgers might be nice to him but showed him little faith. You know when a manager has faith in a player.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
charlie wrote:

maceo4, all that wan na sentiment.
Its not as if Barnes or Maddison have not equally justified their roles this season.
Its about systems and what is found to work best.

No manager manages on pure sentiment.
Their jobs are on the line, even much more than yours or mine.
Yea but so has Kelechi once he actually got a chance. The difference will be Kelechi has to walk on eggshells once they get back because the first poor showing he has he will back to the end of the queue but they will get countless chances to make mistakes without any repercussions. Kele knows the queue he is in at Leicester and isn’t necessarily happy about it but it is what it is, but he still has to be diplomatic in his answers.
”Everyone has their route in football and this is mine. It wasn’t only (Sergio) Aguero at City I was behind. There were five strikers. It was a long queue. I was behind (Stevan) Jovetic, (Edin) Dzeko, (Alvaro) Negredo and (Wilfried) Bony. It was quite long! But I trained, loving football and trying to improve every day, and I did start playing.

“Then I came to Leicester and I saw another queue. A queue with Vardy, (Shinji) Okazaki, (Islam) Slimani and the rest, but I am still alive and here, and there is hope every day, so I am happy and loving my football.

“I am not leaving Leicester at the moment but if I ever do then I will be careful not to get into any more queues!”
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

boywonder is all that plus a bag of chips
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...life is never easy at the top.
Lessons for all those hoping to get to professional and or top club.
Stay where you are, work hard, enjoy it, and let them come for you.