Westerhoff Celebrates 81st Birthday

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

folem
Egg
Egg
Westerhoff Celebrates 81st Birthday

Post by folem »

Most Successful Foreign Coach in Super Eagles’ History Celebrates 81st Birthday in Style
Nigeria’s most successful coach, Clemens Westerhof, clocked 81 on Monday, May 3, and received a grand celebration following his remarkable achievements in the game of football.

He was employed by Nigerian authorities to become the national football team coach in 1989 shortly after the team failed to qualify for the 1990 World Cup at the expense of Cameroon.

The Dutchman was handed the task of rebuilding the team and the impact was felt instantly as he guided Nigeria to the final of the 1990 AFCON before losing to hosts Algeria in the final.

He coached the Super Eagles to their first-ever FIFA World Cup in 1994 helping the team to reach the second round of the tournament before losing out to eventual runners-up, Italy.

Earlier that year, he tutored Nigeria to win her second AFCON title after the team defeated Zambia 2-1 in the finals hosted by Tunisia.

He is responsible for what could be described as a "golden" period in Nigerian football.

Players such as Jay-Jay Okocha, Sunday Oliseh, Nwankwo Kanu, Rashidi Yekini, Daniel Amokachi and others, who all went on to successful careers with various high-profile European clubs, entered the world spotlight while playing under Westerhof.

As he celebrates his 81st birthday, fans and lovers have taken to social media to celebrate him as a hero.

Former Nigerian goalkeeper Peterside Idah thanked the coach for handing him his debut with the senior national team.

He wrote: “Happy 81st birthday to my coach Clemens Westerhof. (He) gave me my first invitation to the national team.”

A fan then wrote: “Happy Birthday to a great coach. You made us proud!"

Another added: “He looks so different here. I understand he is 81 and looks changed."
Last edited by folem on Sat May 08, 2021 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Westerhoff Celebrates 81st Birthday

Post by ANC »

TIME flies
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Happy Birthday!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Happy birthday CW. And thanks for the good times.
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

Happy Birthday, coach.
LeonPhelps
Egg
Egg

Post by LeonPhelps »

Happy birthday to a great man, not like the clowns we have nowadays chasing players across Europe. Westerhoff got his players from no where.
"In Japan a corrupt person kills himself. In China, they kill him. In Europe and America they jail him. In Africa, he will present himself for election." - Prof. PLO Lumumba
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

LeonPhelps wrote:Happy birthday to a great man, not like the clowns we have nowadays chasing players across Europe. Westerhoff got his players from no where.
He did? Under which bridge was that?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:
LeonPhelps wrote:Happy birthday to a great man, not like the clowns we have nowadays chasing players across Europe. Westerhoff got his players from no where.
For the record, Westerhoff travelled around the country scouting for player.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:

But that was when you had a stronger league, no?
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

ANC wrote:
fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:

There is always an excuse...
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ANC wrote:
fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Fabio is stuck in 1994.
Even then, on his third AFCON attempt when he finally actually 'won' something (according to Uncle Fabio's achievement metric), 99% of Westerhoff's team was foreign based.

Okay, maybe only 95%.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

folem wrote:Most Successful Foreign Coach in Super Eagles’ History Celebrates 81st Birthday in Style
Nigeria’s most successful coach, Clemens Westerhof, clocked 81 on Monday, May 3, and received a grand celebration following his remarkable achievements in the game of football.

He was employed by Nigerian authorities to become the national football team coach in 1989 shortly after the team failed to qualify for the 1990 World Cup at the expense of Cameroon.

The Dutchman was handed the task of rebuilding the team and the impact was felt instantly as he guided Nigeria to the final of the 1990 AFCON before losing to hosts Algeria in the final.

He coached the Super Eagles to their first-ever FIFA World Cup in 1994 helping the team to reach the second round of the tournament before losing out to eventual runners-up, Italy.

Earlier that year, he tutored Nigeria to win her second AFCON title after the team defeated Zambia 2-1 in the finals hosted by Tunisia.

He is responsible for what could be described as a "golden" period in Nigerian football.

Players such as Jay-Jay Okocha, Sunday Oliseh, Nwankwo Kanu, Rashidi Yekini, Daniel Amokachi and others, who all went on to successful careers with various high-profile European clubs, entered the world spotlight while playing under Westerhof.

As he celebrates his 81st birthday, fans and lovers have taken to social media to celebrate him as a hero.

Former Nigerian goalkeeper Peterside Idah thanked the coach for handing him his debut with the senior national team.

He wrote: “Happy 81st birthday to my coach Clemens Westerhof. (He) gave me my first invitation to the national team.”

Another added: “He looks so different here. I understand he is 81 and looks changed."
Happy Birthday to CW.

Big Boss achieved ALL that CW achieved and within a shorter time.

And the highlighted cannot be true. Yekini did not enter the spotlight under CW. Same for Kanu
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
tmex12
Egg
Egg

Post by tmex12 »

HBD to the GREAT man who understood and appreciated the qualities of Nigerian soccer. He took all that he found and added stability to build the greatest Nigerian team ever. Now we have a journeyman German in charge, who with years under the belt and one still can’t discern the style of play he’s instituted.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

wanaj0 wrote:
folem wrote:Most Successful Foreign Coach in Super Eagles’ History Celebrates 81st Birthday in Style

Happy Birthday to CW.

Big Boss achieved ALL that CW achieved and within a shorter time.

And the highlighted cannot be true. Yekini did not enter the spotlight under CW. Same for Kanu
True for Kanu but not so for Rashidi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvm3YNueBjI[/video]
dcf1
Egg
Egg

Post by dcf1 »

He has done very well to reach this age with his medical condition.

He did well too to build his defence round Chidi Nwanu once it became clear that Keshi was finished.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

dcf1 wrote:He has done very well to reach this age with his medical condition.

He did well too to build his defence round Chidi Nwanu once it became clear that Keshi was finished.
:lol:
I still remember Nwanu's clean tackle on Diego Maradona (RIP great one) like it was yesterday
When you had men playing for Nigeria