EII: An interesting story on Ahmed Abubakar of Raccah (& Yakubu Mohammed)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gadfly
Egg
Egg
EII: An interesting story on Ahmed Abubakar of Raccah (& Yakubu Mohammed)

Post by Gadfly »

A Former African Professional Soccer Player Now Coaches Bronx Youth
by MICHAEL DE VULPILLIERES

https://www.welcome2thebronx.com/2020/1 ... onx-youth/

Abubakar Ahmed Ali shares an apartment in Yonkers, N.Y. with his wife of nearly 17 years, Patricia. Their home is a patchwork of memories, a window into a life and soccer career spanning nearly seven decades, three countries and two continents. From floor to ceiling, photos of African soccer legends, family members, imams, NYC public figures, and his former youth team players wallpaper their cramped living room.
On a small table at the center of the room sits a miniature soccer pitch with figurines deliberately placed. Patricia looks at the table and explains: “That’s where he works on his strategy.”

Since arriving in New York from Accra nearly 20 years ago, after a long career playing professionally in Ghana and Nigeria, Ali has overseen more than a dozen youth soccer teams in the Greater NY area, all as a volunteer. When he’s not coaching, he is training kids one-on-one. He speaks with great passion and emotion about his “youth,” as he calls them, young African immigrants aspiring for success here in the US.
“I put everything to help the kids in the community,” reflects Ali with pride. “This is my passion.”
Every Saturday morning, the 69-year-old travels 20 miles south to Macombs Dam Park in the shadow of Yankee stadium to train African teenagers on the sidelines of a weekly soccer match where dozens of Ghanaian, Algerian, Liberian, Guinean and Nigerian players meet up for pickup games.

The quality of play on the field is high. Current and former professionals, college players, aspiring pros and even a former boxing world champ from Ghana come out regularly.

Ali seems to know everyone on and off the pitch, switching with ease from English to Hausa to Twi.
One of several links in the Bronx to his life back in West Africa is his best friend Ahmed Yakubu Mohamed, whom Ali has known since the 1960s when they played together in Accra. Mohamed drives to the Bronx from his home in New Jersey every weekend and brings his teenage grandson Mubashir, an aspiring college player, so Ali can train him. Running drills with Mubashir, Ali’s slow gait up and down the sidelines reveals the wear on his legs of a long career played at the highest level.

Ali was born in Accra, Ghana in 1950. He proudly mentions a couple distinctions within his lineage: his grandfather was a respected local imam and his father was a professional cyclist. As a man of deep faith and a gifted athlete, Ali carried on both legacies.
Since a young age Ali demonstrated considerable soccer skill, rising in the ranks from youth to adult at Accra Hearts of Oak, one of the most popular and successful Ghanaian clubs.

Abubakar Ahmed Ali (L) and his best friend Ahmed Yakubu Mohamed (R) watch Mohamed’s teenage grandson Mubashir run training drills./Michael de Vulpillieres

In the mid-70s, when Ali was in his 20s, he was recruited to play in Nigeria, ultimately with the newly-established and well-financed Raccah Rovers in Kano State.

“Playing in Ghana we were amateurs,” he recalls, justifying the move. “They would only pay us a few dollars a match with a bonus of $200-300 a year.”

Ali’s transfer was part of a broader trend in the 60s and 70s in which Ghanaian soccer players joined the more lucrative and professional Nigerian League en masse.

Author Anzu Aneke wrote about this phenomenon in an essay about Nigeria soccer in the 1970s entitled, In Search of Nigeria’s Golden Age: “The vibrancy and liquidity of the Nigerian game attracted players from across the region. It was even known for some players to change nationality to ensure that they gained extra kudos in the Nigerian League.” This was the case with Ali who was selected to play several matches with the Nigerian national soccer team.

After a historic win in 1978 that saw his Raccah Rovers win their first Nigerian League title, the team was selected as one of the opponents for an African exhibition tour later that year featuring Pele. Ali was matched up against the Brazilian, then 37 years old, for one half in front of a capacity crowd in Kaduna on April 28, 1978. He remembers Pele complementing him after the game.
“He [Pele] told me I reminded him of Luís Pereira,” said Ali with a smile, referring to the legendary Brazilian defender who played alongside Pele.

After retiring as a pro, Ali shifted his focus to coaching kids and spent most of the 90s managing youth teams in Ghana.
He first arrived in the US around the time of his 50th birthday in 2000. Ali does not speak much of the circumstances that brought him here, except that it was initially to help his friend, and former teammate, coach a youth team in Upstate NY. But he ended up staying and quickly put down roots.

Within a few weeks he found an apartment in Yonkers, where he still lives in today; he found employment at a local car wash, where he worked for nearly a decade; and he met Patricia, a 44-year old woman originally from North Carolina, who would become his wife three years later. Patricia, who Ali calls his “backbone,” has been actively involved in each of his coaching endeavors since they met, namely filming youth matches and practices.

Abubakar Ahmed Ali was a member of the Nigerian national soccer team that won the silver medal at the 1978 All Africa Games/Michael de Vulpillieres

Back at their home in Yonkers, a worn medal bearing the outline of the African continent sits discretely on one of the shelves. He received it after his Nigerian national soccer team made it to the final of the 1978 All-African Games, an Olympic-style, multi-sport tournament on the continent. His team lost in the final to the host Algerian team 3-2.

“I played in the semifinal, but they did not play me in the final,” he says with a mix of validation and regret. He adds: “You know, I never lost a game that I played with the Nigerian national team.”

As Ali scans the awards and photos that line the walls of his living room, his gaze stops at a huge youth league trophy won for a major tournament win in 2015 sitting atop an old TV.

“I’ve achieved a lot in my career,” he reflects. “If I had money for all my trophies, I’d be a rich man,” he adds. “But it’s not about money, football is love. And that love has a lot of meaning.”

Michael de Vulpillieres is pursuing a master’s degree at the Julien J. Studley Graduate Program in International Affairs at the New School in Manhattan. As part of an international photojournalism class last fall at the New School, Michael documented how African immigrant communities in NYC come together through soccer.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg
Re: EII: An interesting story on Ahmed Abubakar of Raccah (& Yakubu Mohammed)

Post by The Eagle »

Interesting, though, as is always the case with feature-length articles on Nigerian footballers, I am always left not really knowing much more about them than I would know from the statistics of their careers.

Not sure I've ever seen a proper documentary done on a Nigerian legend, you know, with interviews with people who knew them as children, photographs from when they were in their secondary school team, etc, etc, etc. Maybe such exists, but I haven't seen it. Usually someone just sits down with the legend and records them speaking on their past, which tells you a lot .... but sometimes it is good to hear from alternative voices who might disagree with some of the things the legend says in his interview, not just rivals, but journalists and fans who were there when it (whatever it is) happened.

PS: So Algeria beat us in the final in Algeria to win the 1978 AAG .... then Nigeria beat Algeria in the final in Nigeria to win the 1980 Nations Cup .... then Algeria beat us in the final in Algeria to win the 1990 Nations Cup? Hmm. We are overdue to host the Nations Cup again, so we can beat them in the final to win a 4th title. :mad:

PPS: Oga Gadfly, how body? E dey cloth? :)
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

This player is probably Annas Ahmed, as he was known when playing for Raccah Rovers and the Green Eagles. I believe Algeria beat us 1-0 in the final of the AAG in Algiers 78. He was predominantly a right-back.
I am happy
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

The Eagle wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:34 pm Interesting, though, as is always the case with feature-length articles on Nigerian footballers, I am always left not really knowing much more about them than I would know from the statistics of their careers.

Not sure I've ever seen a proper documentary done on a Nigerian legend, you know, with interviews with people who knew them as children, photographs from when they were in their secondary school team, etc, etc, etc. Maybe such exists, but I haven't seen it. Usually someone just sits down with the legend and records them speaking on their past, which tells you a lot .... but sometimes it is good to hear from alternative voices who might disagree with some of the things the legend says in his interview, not just rivals, but journalists and fans who were there when it (whatever it is) happened.

PS: So Algeria beat us in the final in Algeria to win the 1978 AAG .... then Nigeria beat Algeria in the final in Nigeria to win the 1980 Nations Cup .... then Algeria beat us in the final in Algeria to win the 1990 Nations Cup? Hmm. We are overdue to host the Nations Cup again, so we can beat them in the final to win a 4th title. :mad:

PPS: Oga Gadfly, how body? E dey cloth? :)
The Eagle, I hail una. Body dey inside clothes.

On documentary, hopefully, one day someone will follow in the footstep of our CE own Bambo Akanni who is doing a wonderful job raising the profile of Nigerian Athletes through his Making of Champions (MoC) organization.
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Dammy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:19 am This player is probably Annas Ahmed, as he was known when playing for Raccah Rovers and the Green Eagles. I believe Algeria beat us 1-0 in the final of the AAG in Algiers 78. He was predominantly a right-back.
Hi Dammy,

This player is not Annas Ahmed. For Raccah, he is listed as Ahmed Abubakar. Check EII's books. If you do not have his books, I recommend purchasing them. Some wonderful history and documentaries in his books.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gadfly wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:09 pm
Dammy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:19 am This player is probably Annas Ahmed, as he was known when playing for Raccah Rovers and the Green Eagles. I believe Algeria beat us 1-0 in the final of the AAG in Algiers 78. He was predominantly a right-back.
Hi Dammy,

This player is not Annas Ahmed. For Raccah, he is listed as Ahmed Abubakar. Check EII's books. If you do not have his books, I recommend purchasing them. Some wonderful history and documentaries in his books.
Yep. Different player. There were numerous Ghana boys who played for Nigerian clubs in those years. Several including Leotis Boateng, Baba Ottu; Shefiu ended up aging for Nigeria. The great Aluyfsalam Rocks FC was full of Ghanaians.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:01 pm Yep. Different player. There were numerous Ghana boys who played for Nigerian clubs in those years. Several including Leotis Boateng, Baba Ottu; Shefiu ended up aging for Nigeria. The great Aluyfsalam Rocks FC was full of Ghanaians.
John Orlando of Water Corporation (The Ibadan one) was also in the 1980 Nations Cup winning squad and wasn't excluded from all the goodies the team got for winning the trophy. I doubt he has been back in Naija since he went back to Ghana, I think he is in US now.

IICC had a few Ghanaians as I believe did Stores, a couple of the IICC boys actually never went back as they got married to Naija girls and put down roots here. One in Ibadan, the other up North somewhere.

My favourite Ghanaian footballer in Nigeria was NNB's Peter Yeboah, did all the unseen dirty work but what an incredibly skilful player. I wonder where he is now?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Aswani wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:41 pm
Enugu II wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:01 pm Yep. Different player. There were numerous Ghana boys who played for Nigerian clubs in those years. Several including Leotis Boateng, Baba Ottu; Shefiu ended up aging for Nigeria. The great Aluyfsalam Rocks FC was full of Ghanaians.
John Orlando of Water Corporation (The Ibadan one) was also in the 1980 Nations Cup winning squad and wasn't excluded from all the goodies the team got for winning the trophy. I doubt he has been back in Naija since he went back to Ghana, I think he is in US now.

IICC had a few Ghanaians as I believe did Stores, a couple of the IICC boys actually never went back as they got married to Naija girls and put down roots here. One in Ibadan, the other up North somewhere.

My favourite Ghanaian footballer in Nigeria was NNB's Peter Yeboah, did all the unseen dirty work but what an incredibly skilful player. I wonder where he is now?
Aswani,

John Orlando did not play for Water Corporation of Ibadan. I guess you mixed the club up here. He played for Water Corporation of Ilorin and not the Ibadan Water Corporation. It was from Ilorin that he moved to Ibadan but to join Shooting Stars (Not Water Corp.) Any way, you are correct, there were so many Ghanaian footballers who moved to Nigeria. The reality is that it was not just footballers but everyone who could make the trip to escape the stiffling economy of Ghana in those days. Many headed to Nigeria to make a living. There were numerous who moved into cab driving as well as other line of work.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:01 pm
Hi Dammy,

Yep. Different player. There were numerous Ghana boys who played for Nigerian clubs in those years. Several including Leotis Boateng, Baba Ottu; Shefiu ended up aging for Nigeria. The great Aluyfsalam Rocks FC was full of Ghanaians.
There was no one with that name in the Green Eagles squad in 1978. The only players from Raccah Rovers to have played for the national team were Annas Ahmed and Shefiu Mohammed. Annas Ahmed was a Ghanaian, that's why I narrowed it down to him. Do you know that Audu Khadiri and Khadiri Ikhana is the same person? Sometimes this things happen in football.
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:32 am
Hi Dammy,

There was no one with that name in the Green Eagles squad in 1978. The only players from Raccah Rovers to have played for the national team were Annas Ahmed and Shefiu Mohammed. Annas Ahmed was a Ghanaian, that's why I narrowed it down to him. Do you know that Audu Khadiri and Khadiri Ikhana is the same person? Sometimes this things happen in football.
Dammy,

It is not correct to state that the only players from Raccah Rovers to have played for the Eagles, at the time, are those highlighted in red. In fact, at the time, four players from Raccah were regularly called to the camp (there were others like skipper Hussaini Alabi who was called a few times as well but never made the tournament squads). See also Gideon Musa although I would have to check if he had made the Eagles by 1977 coming from the National Junior team.

The regular four were Annas Ahmed, Baba Ottu Mohammed, Shefuiu Mohammed, and Abubakar Garba. In this case (i.e. 1977) Baba Ottu Mohammed was a Raccah Rovers player and made the Nigerian squad. He was originally Ghanaian also but I cannot vouch that he is the player in that photo though. In addition, could this guy have been Abubakar Garba? I don't know but you do provide a possible explanation given that some of these players can sometimes present different names. Garba was a centre back and mostly was not on the field given that Christian Chukwu simply dominated that position along with Odiye during the period in question.
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

EII,

I believe he is Ahmed Abubakar Garba, as the name is sometimes listed in the match day squad, per your book.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Ahmed Abubakar and Grandson Abbas were 5 and 6 for Raccah. Walter Osai played left back.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:23 pm
Dammy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:32 am
Hi Dammy,

Dammy,

It is not correct to state that the only players from Raccah Rovers to have played for the Eagles, at the time, are those highlighted in red. In fact, at the time, four players from Raccah were regularly called to the camp (there were others like skipper Hussaini Alabi who was called a few times as well but never made the tournament squads). See also Gideon Musa although I would have to check if he had made the Eagles by 1977 coming from the National Junior team.

The regular four were Annas Ahmed, Baba Ottu Mohammed, Shefuiu Mohammed, and Abubakar Garba. In this case (i.e. 1977) Baba Ottu Mohammed was a Raccah Rovers player and made the Nigerian squad. He was originally Ghanaian also but I cannot vouch that he is the player in that photo though. In addition, could this guy have been Abubakar Garba? I don't know but you do provide a possible explanation given that some of these players can sometimes present different names. Garba was a centre back and mostly was not on the field given that Christian Chukwu simply dominated that position along with Odiye during the period in question.
E11, I believe Baba #$% Mohammed played for Mighty Jets before joining Raccah Rovers. I was an avid follower of the Green Eagles in those days and I had exercise books full of national teams squads that I copied from newspapers back then. His name just does not ring a bell. I remember the Algiers 78 squad was made up of 18 players and the covering central defenders was Ignatius Ilechukwu of Rangers and Tunde Bamidele of Taraba United while Chairman Christain Chukwu and Godwin Odiye were the regular starters. In the 1978 AFCON in Ghana we had Chukwu, Odiye, Dina, Bamidele, Ilechukwu. The only Raccah Rovers players that were in the Green Eagles squad in 1978 were Annas Ahmed, Shefiu Mohammed, Baba #$% and Felix Owolabi.
I am happy
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:49 am
Aswani wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:41 pm

Aswani,

John Orlando did not play for Water Corporation of Ibadan. I guess you mixed the club up here. He played for Water Corporation of Ilorin and not the Ibadan Water Corporation. It was from Ilorin that he moved to Ibadan but to join Shooting Stars (Not Water Corp.) Any way, you are correct, there were so many Ghanaian footballers who moved to Nigeria. The reality is that it was not just footballers but everyone who could make the trip to escape the stiffling economy of Ghana in those days. Many headed to Nigeria to make a living. There were numerous who moved into cab driving as well as other line of work.
I stand corrected sir.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Dammy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:22 amE11, I believe Baba #$% Mohammed played for Mighty Jets before joining Raccah Rovers. I was an avid follower of the Green Eagles in those days and I had exercise books full of national teams squads that I copied from newspapers back then. His name just does not ring a bell. I remember the Algiers 78 squad was made up of 18 players and the covering central defenders was Ignatius Ilechukwu of Rangers and Tunde Bamidele of Taraba United while Chairman Christain Chukwu and Godwin Odiye were the regular starters. In the 1978 AFCON in Ghana we had Chukwu, Odiye, Dina, Bamidele, Ilechukwu. The only Raccah Rovers players that were in the Green Eagles squad in 1978 were Annas Ahmed, Shefiu Mohammed, Baba #$% and Felix Owolabi.
Una no vex .... but, I was under the impression that Taraba United was a relatively young club that did not exist in the 1970s. Was it a different, prior club using the same name, or is there a mistake somewhere?
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

The Eagle wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:05 pm
Dammy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:22 amE11, I believe Baba #$% Mohammed played for Mighty Jets before joining Raccah Rovers. I was an avid follower of the Green Eagles in those days and I had exercise books full of national teams squads that I copied from newspapers back then. His name just does not ring a bell. I remember the Algiers 78 squad was made up of 18 players and the covering central defenders was Ignatius Ilechukwu of Rangers and Tunde Bamidele of Taraba United while Chairman Christain Chukwu and Godwin Odiye were the regular starters. In the 1978 AFCON in Ghana we had Chukwu, Odiye, Dina, Bamidele, Ilechukwu. The only Raccah Rovers players that were in the Green Eagles squad in 1978 were Annas Ahmed, Shefiu Mohammed, Baba #$% and Felix Owolabi.
Una no vex .... but, I was under the impression that Taraba United was a relatively young club that did not exist in the 1970s. Was it a different, prior club using the same name, or is there a mistake somewhere?
The Eagle,

It did exist. Raccah's Shefiu Mohammed came from there.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Gadfly wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:24 pm
The Eagle,

That is interesting. The wikipedia page (for what its worth as a source) for today's Taraba United says that it began life as S.E.C. FC in Abuja (Securities and Exchange Commission), before moving to Jalingo in 2007. Either the wiki page is wrong, or there were/are two separate teams to have used the name. Or perhaps an existing team bought the registration for another team, so as to "promote" itself to a higher division .... as quite a few clubs in South Africa have done.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

The Eagle wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:15 pm
The Eagle,

That is interesting. The wikipedia page (for what its worth as a source) for today's Taraba United says that it began life as S.E.C. FC in Abuja (Securities and Exchange Commission), before moving to Jalingo in 2007. Either the wiki page is wrong, or there were/are two separate teams to have used the name. Or perhaps an existing team bought the registration for another team, so as to "promote" itself to a higher division .... as quite a few clubs in South Africa have done.
I wonder what happened to Bauchi Wunti?
I am happy
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

The Eagle wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:15 pm
The Eagle,

The Eagle,

Just seeing this. The older Taraba United was based in Wukari.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Hi Dammy,

Stationary Stores also has a few Ghanaians such as the great Yakubu Mambo and Sani Mohammed who both played for Nigeria.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."