If Nigeria Played in the Euros

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
If Nigeria Played in the Euros

Post by wiseone »

How far would Nigeria progress in the tournament if UEFA allowed Nigeria to compete as a "guest team" in the Euros? I believe CONMEBOL and CONCACAF sometimes allow guest nations to play on an ad hoc basis.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: If Nigeria Played in the Euros

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Based on our talent level and experience we'd perform about the same as we have at the WC. First rd and out or 2nd rd and out.

However, if our play is better than the sum of all parts we can get to the quarters or semis. The real challenge for SE is to play at a high level together at both ends and all departments of the game. This is what Rohr is trying to accomplish. Talent alone will not get us there.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

wiseone wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:41 pm How far would Nigeria progress in the tournament if UEFA allowed Nigeria to compete as a "guest team" in the Euros? I believe CONMEBOL and CONCACAF sometimes allow guest nations to play on an ad hoc basis.
with **** nah F9 we go get we have only defeated the likes of Lesotho and Benin in the last 20 games
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Watching the Euro 2020 so far

Post by Tobi17 »

Watching the Euro 2020 so far

My final conclusion based on the quality of the competition so far is that no African team except for maybe a well coached team like Algeria stands a chance in the world cup against the very best teams in Europe and South America. I'll go further to make clear that sticking with Rohr will not only be a colossal waste of time (since we will be going to the World cup to learn as usual), but the same excuse from Rohr will be those Euro/South American teams are far better than ours since their players play in better clubs blah blah blah... it will be 3 games and out, when we know deep down that the quality of these SE team IF well coached, is at the very least good enough to make it to the QF of the world cup.

So the question remains, since we know how very conservative and brutally limited Rohr is as a manager... what exactly are our honest expectations at the world cup if we do make it? will this be another case of a very promising generation of young Nigerian players been reduced to the limited scope of a very tepid coach like Rohr? Rohr is officially the longest serving SE coach so far, will this man finally get his head out of his own #$%, quit his self-defeating and over-pragmatic "Mr humble" rubbish mentality and realize he can actually get the best out of these crop of players csuse they are talented enough? will Rohr win is our 4th gold trophy at the AFCON and against all odds and expectations outperform the records of all the previous coaches in the next world cup?... personally I think NOT, so I'll be just hope for the best and expect the worse for the remainder of Rohrs tenure as coach.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Watching the Euro 2020 so far

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

There are multiple Euro 2020 threads on the World Soccer forum❗️
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Serious concentration levels are needed to hang with these teams.
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

ROHR said we don’t have players to compete, so tell me how Switzerland is competing.
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Robotnik wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:38 pm Serious concentration levels are needed to hang with these teams.
All too well, my people only see what they want to see and remember only what they want to remember :) . African teams are not the only ones that are prone to loss of concentration during critical moments in games. We tend to make it sound as if the Europeans are perfect. We have seen a lot of it (loss of concentration) in this tournament. In the first game today, Spain were leading and then threw away the 2-goal lead. In the second game between France and Switzerland, same thing happened. If that was Nigeria, we no go hear word.....
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Watching this Euros has been a humbling experience. It has demonstrated just how far behind Nigeria is. Nigeria's level in the Euros would be to qualify for the 2nd round by finishing 3rd in a group of 4. I notice that there is a correlation between national team strength and the quality of clubs a nation's players play for. The club line up for France's starting 11 today was:

Spurs
Real Madrid-PSG-Barcelona
Bayern-Chelsea-Man U-Juventus
Barcelona-Real Madrid-PSG

Every single one of France's 11 has won the Champions League or played in a Champion's League final.
Now contrast that with Nigeria's club starting 11:

Sparta
Fulham-Watford-Rangers-Porto
Rangers-Leicester
Everton
Villarreal-Napoli-Kano Pillars

Not quite as impressive is it?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:08 pm Based on our talent level and experience we'd perform about the same as we have at the WC. First rd and out or 2nd rd and out.

However, if our play is better than the sum of all parts we can get to the quarters or semis. The real challenge for SE is to play at a high level together at both ends and all departments of the game. This is what Rohr is trying to accomplish. Talent alone will not get us there.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Watching the Euro cup has actual reassured me that Rohr is the man for the job. The defensive discipline he's trying to build, the compact MF, the quick hitting attack and the commitment to team defense and team attack .

The likes of Switzerland, Czech Republic and Wales are flat out shutting top teams down and taking them the distance. The days of jogo Bonito dribu dem enta goal are over. This is the era of grinding teams and Rohr is building a dynamic gringing team that'll make the world association of senior grinders jealous.

I'm in for Rohr. 100% support his tactics. :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

There are however 32 players from the English championship at the Euros. It is about the team guys not individuals. The defending champions of the world chocked to a relative minnow today albeit a good minnow and the most heralded young player in the world chocked on the penalty shoot out. Just saying.
Last edited by kawawa on Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Dude Rohrs team played Ukraine off the park in their own backyard, and it was somewhat experimental given it was Osimehns first start.

We will be fine against these teams.

Rohr just needs to beef up our midfield options and find Osimehms backup and we will be fine.

Stop the panic. I've followed SE for a long time. This team will be hard to beat. Ask Brazil and Ukraine. So long as Rohr finds backups to Osimehn and Ndidi we will be fine.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:21 am Watching the Euro cup has actual reassured me that Rohr is the man for the job. The defensive discipline he's trying to build, the compact MF, the quick hitting attack and the commitment to team defense and team attack .

The likes of Switzerland, Czech Republic and Wales are flat out shutting top teams down and taking them the distance. The days of jogo Bonito dribu dem enta goal are over. This is the era of grinding teams and Rohr is building a dynamic gringing team that'll make the world association of senior grinders jealous.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Glad we aren't there...
Let's just prepare for AFCON. Levels!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle Gotti, France had higher "levels" than switzerland. Abi no be so??

This is actually a stupid thread. The assumption by wiseman is that every European team in the Euros would have ran over everyone at the AFCON.
Gotti wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:24 am :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Glad we aren't there...
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

wiseone wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:09 am Watching this Euros has been a humbling experience. It has demonstrated just how far behind Nigeria is. Nigeria's level in the Euros would be to qualify for the 2nd round by finishing 3rd in a group of 4. I notice that there is a correlation between national team strength and the quality of clubs a nation's players play for. The club line up for France's starting 11 today was:

Spurs

Every single one of France's 11 has won the Champions League or played in a Champion's League final.

Sparta
Rangers-Leicester
Everton

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:08 pm Based on our talent level and experience we'd perform about the same as we have at the WC. First rd and out or 2nd rd and out.

Thanks. How many CL or CL finals will you say the Swiss players have featured in? :clap: :clap:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

wiseone wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:09 am Watching this Euros has been a humbling experience. It has demonstrated just how far behind Nigeria is. Nigeria's level in the Euros would be to qualify for the 2nd round by finishing 3rd in a group of 4. I notice that there is a correlation between national team strength and the quality of clubs a nation's players play for. The club line up for France's starting 11 today was:

Spurs

Sparta
Rangers-Leicester
Everton

Your point is well made but as others have pointed out, it’s not that straight forward. Also, France is one of the best teams in the world but only managed 1 win in this tournament.

And having said all that, when you look at the clubs our players come from, yes it’s not Belgium or France, but it’s not exactly bottom of the barrel.

To answer the question, I think Nigeria would have survived most groups and probably lost in the 2nd round.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I knew someone would bring this up. Switzerland has a better squad than Nigeria. Most of their players play for top teams in the Bundesliga such as Dortmund. Even the ones outside Germany are not exactly playing non-league football and play for Champions League clubs like Liverpool and Atalanta, and their captain Xhaka plays for Arsenal. Several of Nigeria's players play for second division clubs, and apart from Ndidi, Iheanacho, and Osimhen, most play for mid-table top flight clubs.
wanaj0 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:16 am Thanks. How many CL or CL finals will you say the Swiss players have featured in? :clap: :clap:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:06 am Uncle Gotti, France had higher "levels" than switzerland. Abi no be so??

This is actually a stupid thread. The assumption by wiseman is that every European team in the Euros would have ran over everyone at the AFCON.
Gotti wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:24 am :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Glad we aren't there...
i have no disagreement when it comes to the thought behind this thread, and i agree with you 100% . However can a man not dream?
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

wanaj0 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:16 am

Spurs

Sparta
Rangers-Leicester
Everton

Thanks. How many CL or CL finals will you say the Swiss players have featured in? :clap: :clap:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: dayumnnnnnnnnn
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

waka-man wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:28 am

Spurs

Sparta
Rangers-Leicester
Everton

Your point is well made but as others have pointed out, it’s not that straight forward. Also, France is one of the best teams in the world but only managed 1 win in this tournament.

And having said all that, when you look at the clubs our players come from, yes it’s not Belgium or France, but it’s not exactly bottom of the barrel.

To answer the question, I think Nigeria would have survived most groups and probably lost in the 2nd round.
do not mind them , they are telling us Macedonia, finland,slovaikia, Scotland and the old men of Croatia etc would beat us
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:21 am Watching the Euro cup has actual reassured me that Rohr is the man for the job. The defensive discipline he's trying to build, the compact MF, the quick hitting attack and the commitment to team defense and team attack .

yeap the defensive discipline is second to none
SuperEagles

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

waka-man wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:28 am

Spurs

Sparta
Rangers-Leicester
Everton

I agree we’d survive most of the groups, maybe not Germany, Portugal, France type group but on paper we are better than enough teams to have at least been 3rd best and reach second round. But with **** you never know
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!