DEBATE: Given Relative Success of D'Tigers & Issue of Foreign-Based SE Players

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
DEBATE: Given Relative Success of D'Tigers & Issue of Foreign-Based SE Players

Post by Enugu II »

The recent exhibition 2-game success of Nigeria's basketball team D'Tigers against two of the world's top ranked teams -- USA and Argentina -- there is an ongoing claim that the success confirms the importance of using foreign-based players to represent Nigeria in international competitions. Most of those arguments have been floated here previously. They include: (1) playing outside Nigeria often denotes how good a player is, (2) there is infinitely better training of athletes outside Nigeria, (3) add your own claims. On the other side is the argument that (1) better athletes still exist in Nigeria and are hungrier to wear the colors, (2) home-based represent the Nigerian style of play more, and (3) add your own claims...... A twist to consider, is the pool of players in basketball geometrically similar to what obtains in football?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: DEBATE: Given Relative Success of D'Tigers & Issue of Foreign-Based SE Players

Post by juventuss »

As it stands, I think the quality of Nigerian talent actively playing in the NBA is high. At this level, the hunger and hustle to wear the colors and represent are good traits to have. However, I think there is only so much heart, hunger, grinta, will go against another team with similar traits but with the extra bits of technical and tactical ability.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: DEBATE: Given Relative Success of D'Tigers & Issue of Foreign-Based SE Players

Post by wanaj0 »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:10 am The recent exhibition 2-game success of Nigeria's basketball team D'Tigers against two of the world's top ranked teams -- USA and Argentina -- there is an ongoing claim that the success confirms the importance of using foreign-based players to represent Nigeria in international competitions. Most of those arguments have been floated here previously. They include: (1) playing outside Nigeria often denotes how good a player is, (2) there is infinitely better training of athletes outside Nigeria, (3) add your own claims. On the other side is the argument that (1) better athletes still exist in Nigeria and are hungrier to wear the colors, (2) home-based represent the Nigerian style of play more, and (3) add your own claims...... A twist to consider, is the pool of players in basketball geometrically similar to what obtains in football?
Give everyone the OPPORTUNITY to compete on equal grounds.

The mindset of the coach has helped the D'Tigers! He is confident in what they can do and that get across to the players.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The problem with the SE is coaching. We can bring all the FB or HB it won't change anything. Once we get rid of the weak minded coach , then yall will see how much better we are
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Hmmmm., so all I need to do next time i post about Kumaru Usman and Adesanya's victories here is to put Rohr in the title or compare them to homebased players and murderator that yanks the thread
to others sports forum will keep quiet?

On the substance of the post, I think its simplistic to draw a parallel between the D'Tigers victories and the home based SE debate. These are NBA players with an NBA coaching staff beating other NBA players. If Brown had used D league players we would have been beaten silly even if they are foreign based players also. The only message from the victories is that we can compete with the best in the world and even win if we use our best players..
Last edited by 1naija on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:26 pm The problem with the SE is coaching. We can bring all the FB or HB it won't change anything. Once we get rid of the weak minded coach , then yall will see how much better we are
Why are you not advoacating local coahes for the D'Tigers? See your life?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

He is an NBA coach coaching mostly NBA players. The players know him and know he is a quality coach. He coached Lebron James to the NBA Finals. He has coached the Lakers and was the assitant coach to the Golden state warriors that won several NBA titles. It's like bringing Pep to coach the SE!
wanaj0 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:32 am
Enugu II wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:10 am The recent exhibition 2-game success of Nigeria's basketball team D'Tigers against two of the world's top ranked teams -- USA and Argentina -- there is an ongoing claim that the success confirms the importance of using foreign-based players to represent Nigeria in international competitions. Most of those arguments have been floated here previously. They include: (1) playing outside Nigeria often denotes how good a player is, (2) there is infinitely better training of athletes outside Nigeria, (3) add your own claims. On the other side is the argument that (1) better athletes still exist in Nigeria and are hungrier to wear the colors, (2) home-based represent the Nigerian style of play more, and (3) add your own claims...... A twist to consider, is the pool of players in basketball geometrically similar to what obtains in football?

The mindset of the coach has helped the D'Tigers! He is confident in what they can do and that get across to the players.
Last edited by 1naija on Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:29 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:26 pm The problem with the SE is coaching. We can bring all the FB or HB it won't change anything. Once we get rid of the weak minded coach , then yall will see how much better we are
we have a black coach. maybe you should research the coach and maybe you may actually find out bobo has a naija heritage . shame on you for such a vile post . you sound like Stephen A smith

Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

:rotf: :rotf: Vile post?
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:34 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:29 pm
we have a black coach. maybe you should research the coach and maybe you may actually find out bobo has a naija heritage . shame on you for such a vile post . you sound like Stephen A smith

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:34 pm He is an NBA coach coaching mostly NBA players. The players know him and know he is a quality coach. He coached Lebron James to the NBA Finals. He has coached the Lakers and was the assitant coach to the Golden state warriors that won several NBA titles. It's like bring Pep to coach the SE!

If it was our Eagles, they will get a Whiteman whose resume reads like he worked for Peace Corps.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Oh, so now it's the skin color and not foreign coach anymore?
Cellular wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:56 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:34 pm He is an NBA coach coaching mostly NBA players. The players know him and know he is a quality coach. He coached Lebron James to the NBA Finals. He has coached the Lakers and was the assitant coach to the Golden state warriors that won several NBA titles. It's like bring Pep to coach the SE!

If it was our Eagles, they will get a Whiteman whose resume reads like he worked for Peace Corps.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:03 pm Oh, so now it's the skin color and not foreign coach anymore?
Bra, I don't make ANY apologies for advocating for Naijaria first then Black.

We have qualified Naijarian and Black coaches in football...

With Basketball, I realize that the expertise is in America... so when you go shopping for a coach, WE should be advocating for giving opportunities to BLACK coaches who have been marginalized.

If it was your man Pinnick, he would have gone with "if it ain't white it ain't good enough!"
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I actually think that there is an angle left unexplored. I feel that Nigeria eligible basketball players outside the country might well surpass quality players in the country. Just a thought given the level of interest in the sport within and outside the country. For instance, locating a proper playing ground is difficult for the poor in Nigeria since such grounds are limited to schools and some exclusive locales. That limits access to basketball locally. Compare to access in the USA. As for soccer, it is entirely different. Access for the poor is plentiful even in remote villages.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Pinnick appointed Oliseh to manage the SE! It's not his fault that Oliseh forced him to hire from outside. He also appointed Yobo to assist Rohr, an appoitment all of you have criticized. He appointed Ladan Bosso, Fatai Amoo, Olowookere, all local coaches, to lead our age grade teams. Y'all don't give a rats azz about our local coaches or you would support the ones that are already managing our national teams.
Cellular wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:14 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:03 pm Oh, so now it's the skin color and not foreign coach anymore?

With Basketball, I realize that the expertise is in America... so when you go shopping for a coach, WE should be advocating for giving opportunities to BLACK coaches who have been marginalized.

If it was your man Pinnick, he would have gone with "if it ain't white it ain't good enough!"
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:40 pm Pinnick appointed Oliseh to manage the SE! It's not his fault that Oliseh forced him to hire from outside. He also appointed Yobo to assist Rohr, an appoitment all of you have criticized. He appointed Ladan Bosso, Fatai Amoo, Olowookere, all local coaches, to lead our age grade teams. Y'all don't give a rats azz about our local coaches or you would support the ones that are already managing our national teams.

Who is "You all?"

The conviction to keep at it is because it is important. It is not about convenience.

BTW, I didn't criticize the appointment of Yobo. I am ambivalent about his appointment, to be honest with you. But I do think he lacked the requisite experience to jump right in and coach the Eagles... he showed a lack of interest in professional development. Compare him to his contemporaries. BTW, have you seen what Kolo Toure is doing or Finidi? Guys who understand the process of being taken seriously as a coach...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Cellular wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:57 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:40 pm Pinnick appointed Oliseh to manage the SE! It's not his fault that Oliseh forced him to hire from outside. He also appointed Yobo to assist Rohr, an appoitment all of you have criticized. He appointed Ladan Bosso, Fatai Amoo, Olowookere, all local coaches, to lead our age grade teams. Y'all don't give a rats azz about our local coaches or you would support the ones that are already managing our national teams.

Who is "You all?"

The conviction to keep at it is because it is important. It is not about convenience.

BTW, I didn't criticize the appointment of Yobo. I am ambivalent about his appointment, to be honest with you. But I do think he lacked the requisite experience to jump right in and coach the Eagles... he showed a lack of interest in professional development. Compare him to his contemporaries. BTW, have you seen what Kolo Toure is doing or Finidi? Guys who understand the process of being taken seriously as a coach...
What are Toure and Finidi doing that Yobo is not doing? Are they not all assistant coaches? The problem is not Yobo, but people who think they know what the required qualification for an assitant coach of Nigeria should be when they don't! The same people that questioned Yobo's qualification never questioned Amokachi, Eguavoen, or Salisu's qualification for the same Job. Were there no assistant coaches like kolo Toure and Finidi when those were assistant coaches? But we are quick to call out England fans for discrimination...

Like I said, this is never about foreign or Local coaches, but about which coach. I gurantee you if Yobo is appointed the SE head coach today, 99% of those clamouring for local coaches will suddenly want a foreign coach.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

mods i think yall need to eeither ban 1naija or something , he has posted 3 vile comments right in this thread.
SuperEagles

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:28 pm mods i think yall need to eeither ban 1naija or something , he has posted 3 vile comments right in this thread.
Look who’s talking (again) about “vile threads”?
Are you not the one that has been praying and fasting for the SE to fail all because of your “vile” hatred for Rohr?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Oya, deny it make we look your mouth. :clap:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:52 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:28 pm mods i think yall need to eeither ban 1naija or something , he has posted 3 vile comments right in this thread.
Are you not the one that has been praying and fasting for the SE to fail all because of your “vile” hatred for Rohr?

going forward i focus only on substance , no more degrading your reputation as an individual, the reason why is because you run away when cornered . similar to the Nwakali (Watford) and Umar Sadiq's( sevilla) fake transfers you were spamming CE with.
SuperEagles

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:58 pm

going forward i focus only on substance , no more degrading your reputation as an individual, the reason why is because you run away when cornered . similar to the Nwakali (Watford) and Umar Sadiq's( sevilla) fake transfers you were spamming CE with.
Mechonu my fren!
From your 90k posts, the only “substance” you seem to focus on is your xtal meth. :P
You don’t even know the meaning of ‘spamming’ for starters.

Neither do you even seem to understand the concept of the thread in question. ‘Transfer Rumours’. Get it?
Knock knock! Anybody home? No? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

As for being ‘cornered’, you need to get out of that corner-hole you inhabit 24/7 spamming the forum with your…uhm…’critical thinking’. :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:19 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:58 pm

Mechonu my fren!
From your 90k posts, the only “substance” you seem to focus on is your xtal meth. :P
You don’t even know the meaning of ‘spamming’ for starters.

Neither do you even seem to understand the concept of the thread in question. ‘Transfer Rumours’. Get it?
Knock knock! Anybody home? No? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

As for being ‘cornered’, you need to get out of that corner-hole you inhabit 24/7 spamming the forum with your…uhm…’critical thinking’. :taunt:
it seems you enjoy being a troll
SuperEagles

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

There is no real basketball infrastructure in Nigeria, the situation in both sports could not be more different.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

enuguii, THE ISSUE TO ME IS NOT AS YOU FRAMED IT

For me, no one should be labeled foreign or domestic player. There should be only one universal pool of eligible Nigerian players from which the best should be chosen, regardless of residency, place of birth or place of employment. My only problem is that the focus of the NFF is now almost entirely on the foreign-born players, abandoning kids born and living in Nigeria with no meaningful development program. For me, if they can get a worthy program in place and everybody has an equal shot, I'll have no problems.
Bell