ROHR Calls SE "Young" Team again....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
ROHR Calls SE "Young" Team again....

Post by Enugu II »

Well, well.... This Rohr must forever consider this team as a young team. Yet the average caps earned by this team is far more than the one earned by the Nigerian team that won the AFCON in 1980!

AFCON 2021: Egypt, Others Will Be Wary Of My ‘Young Team’ – Rohr
https://leadership.ng/afcon-2021-egypt- ... team-rohr/

Super Eagles head coach, Gernot Rohr, has boasted that his ‘youthful’ Super Eagles squad will be ready to face any team at the next Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Cameroon.

The three-time African champions were drawn against Egypt, Sudan and Guinea- Bissau in Group D on Tuesday in Yaoundé for the competition which will start on January 9 and end on February 6, 2022.

“We have a young team, but they are doing very well last season and this season also, like Victor Osimhen, who was top scorer in qualification,” Rohr told ESPN.

“Kelechi Iheanacho, Wilfred Ndidi and so many playing very well in the clubs in Europe. So as we think about their players, they think also about our players.”
Rohr also stated that his immediate priority for now is to prepare his team for the 2022 World Cup qualifiers, kicking off next month.

“Until January we still have a lot of things to do, especially the next game now at home against Liberia, that is the most important and then we will see step by step how it is going,” he added.

The Super Eagles will open their campaign against Egypt at the Roumdé Adjia Stadium, Garoua on January 11.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: ROHR Calls SE "Young" Team again....

Post by Bigpokey24 »

tired of him, dude just dey yarn, e tire me sef
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The team is too old sef. :roll:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:34 am The team is too old sef. :roll:
More like ****’s rhetoric…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:36 am Well, well.... This Rohr must forever consider this team as a young team. Yet the average caps earned by this team is far more than the one earned by the Nigerian team that won the AFCON in 1980!

Super Eagles head coach, Gernot Rohr, has boasted that his ‘youthful’ Super Eagles squad will be ready to face any team at the next Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Cameroon.

The three-time African champions were drawn against Egypt, Sudan and Guinea- Bissau in Group D on Tuesday in Yaoundé for the competition which will start on January 9 and end on February 6, 2022.

“We have a young team, but they are doing very well last season and this season also, like Victor Osimhen, who was top scorer in qualification,” Rohr told ESPN.

“Kelechi Iheanacho, Wilfred Ndidi and so many playing very well in the clubs in Europe. So as we think about their players, they think also about our players.”
Rohr also stated that his immediate priority for now is to prepare his team for the 2022 World Cup qualifiers, kicking off next month.

“Until January we still have a lot of things to do, especially the next game now at home against Liberia, that is the most important and then we will see step by step how it is going,” he added.

The Super Eagles will open their campaign against Egypt at the Roumdé Adjia Stadium, Garoua on January 11.
Great. No tired legs in the team
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

English is not his first language.
I am happy
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:36 am Well, well.... This Rohr must forever consider this team as a young team. Yet the average caps earned by this team is far more than the one earned by the Nigerian team that won the AFCON in 1980!

I don't know what the issue here is. He's saying they are young but from write up he didn't say they are inexperienced which would have been an issue. He even infers experience gained in the above highlighted.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Yes the man is not liked but a lot of fans are and they are reactive, the guy didn't say much and he didn’t say less.Hes actually said worst in the past but even then there was some truth to what he was saying.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Next
Egg
Egg

Post by Next »

COMPREHENSION 101 for most guys here!!
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Adisboy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:53 am

I don't know what the issue here is. He's saying they are young but from write up he didn't say they are inexperienced which would have been an issue. He even infers experience gained in the above highlighted.
There really is no issue.
In context, he is emphasizing their relative youth as a clear advantage the team has.
But haters will criticize anyway.
The oldest three members in his pool are probably Balogun, Akpeyi and Musa, none of whom are sure bet invitees as things stand.
That is a ‘young’ squad, no question.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Dammy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:05 am English is not his first language.
Exactly, so because of language barrier, his choice of words might mean something slightly different from what he had in mind to say. Either way, coach Rohr needs to be careful about his choice of 'YOUNG TEAM' word because it seems it sets off the 'naysayers' almost immediately against him, else I see nothing wrong with what coach Rohr said about his team
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Eaglezbeak wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:48 am Yes the man is not liked but a lot of fans are
reactive, the guy didn't say much and he didn’t say less.Hes actually said worst in the past but even then there was some truth to what he was saying.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Eaglezbeak wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:30 pm
Eaglezbeak wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:48 am Yes the man is not liked but a lot of fans are
reactive, the guy didn't say much and he didn’t say less.Hes actually said worst in the past but even then there was some truth to what he was saying.
Why are you quoting yourself? Mschew, abeg allow us to hate on **** in peace! :biggrin: Young team my nyash, bobo better win something before them old...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:43 pm
Eaglezbeak wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:30 pm
Why are you quoting yourself? Mschew, abeg allow us to hate on **** in peace! :biggrin: Young team my nyash, bobo better win something before them old...
Like the WAFU Cup?
Or the World Cup? 🤓
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The point is that he has over-used this "young" team designation. Enough already. This is not the youngest team that Nigeria has ever presented in a tournament and there is nothing special about this Nigerian team in terms of age. Simply get on with it. Age will not be the reason this team wins the AFCON nor will fit be an excuse if it fails to win it.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

But he was not using "young" as an excuse.
He went ahead to state why other teams should be weary of his team.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

imehjunior wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:02 pm But he was not using "young" as an excuse.
Abi o.
Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Give it a year and you will again start hearing that old Nigerian cliche, “tired legs”
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

imehjunior wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:02 pm But he was not using "young" as an excuse.
My point is that he has over-used it and it is frankly irrelevant. This is not the youngest or even close to it in terns of squads that Nigeria has ever used. I really see no point in constantly telling us how young his squad is. I feel it is time to puke when I read that worn-out stuff. There is nothing special, in terms of age, about this squad for it to be dropped by him at very turn.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:54 pm
My point is that he has over-used it and it is frankly irrelevant. This is not the youngest or even close to it in terns of squads that Nigeria has ever used. I really see no point in constantly telling us how young his squad is. I feel it is time to puke when I read that worn-out stuff. There is nothing special, in terms of age, about this squad for it to be dropped by him at very turn.
True.

But at the same time I dont see why it bothers you.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Prof, I disagree.
The reason it seems so is that it is simply used to flog the guy by those who dislike him.
He is allowed to use the term like everyone else becos those were simply the facts.
Age IS a factor in football.
But to say he has overused it is untrue.
It is you people quoting and requoting and lambasting and ridiculing and turning a simple statement into a really big deal.
Like this one for instance. Even when it is used positively to warn other teams.

A whole thread …..and the haters never even land self. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk,

Maybe, you have not been watching or you have ignored it. Rohr has long used this as soon as he had most of his guys on the team. It its an ongoing mantra as if the team was being built today. May I remind you that he has now become the longest serving Nigerian coach EVER and yet he talks about building a young term ... a mantra that he has used (it seems fair ever!). At what point will we hear/read him talk about having built an experienced team? :???: Will that ever occur? Will he continue to jibe about a young team for ever? Brios, if he was talking about building a young team when he came in, I would understand and won't argue. I didn't then, BTW. Now, he has an experienced team after years of building. He just has to admit it. Instead, he trots out the crap of forever building a young team. Who cares, really? What we care is winning the damn thing and not regaling us of how young the team is.
Damunk wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:32 am
Prof, I disagree.
The reason it seems so is that it is simply used to flog the guy by those who dislike him.
He is allowed to use the term like everyone else becos those were simply the facts.
Age IS a factor in football.
But to say he has overused it is untrue.
It is you people quoting and requoting and lambasting and ridiculing and turning a simple statement into a really big deal.
Like this one for instance. Even when it is used positively to warn other teams.

A whole thread …..and the haters never even land self. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:00 am
True.

If you read the original ESPN story by Colin Udoh, you’ll find that Rohr was speaking in a totally different context than was portrayed by Prof’s quoted article.

He was speaking about playing against the skill and experience of Egypt’s Mo Sallah. :idea:
This is what I mean when I say people blow little things out of proportion and then blame Rohr for making the noise.

The quoted sportswriter knew exactly what he was doing. :lol:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:44 am
vancity eagle wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:00 am
True.

If you read the original ESPN story by Colin Udoh, you’ll find that Rohr was speaking in a totally different context than was portrayed by Prof’s quoted article.

He was speaking about playing against the skill and experience of Egypt’s Mo Sallah. :idea:
This is what I mean when I say people blow little things out of proportion and then blame Rohr for making the noise.

The quoted sportswriter knew exactly what he was doing. :lol:
Hopefully, it was all about Mo Sallah and not necessarily the ever-young Super Eagles under his watch.