This Stupid "No New Players" Mantra

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
This Stupid "No New Players" Mantra

Post by vancity eagle »

OwnGoal has quoted Rohr saying "no new players for qualifiers"

Even though OG has a shaky record, they do get it right at times, and this is a quote that has constantly been attributed to Rohr, so I am inclined to believe it.

I am getting sick and tired of Rohr using this stupid "no new players" excuse every time we play a competitive match. Citing the whole "we cannot try new players in a competitive match" This to me just seems like lazy scouting, and a complete lack of forward thinking. This also shows to me that Rohr does not see any problems with our team and is not trying to improve the team, especially in problem areas.

The idea that you cannot call up new players, (nobody said wholesale changes) to replace ones who are clearly dead woods, or not really offering much, simply because you are playing a competitive match is ridiculous and just a lazy excuse.

Is Rohr to tell me that were Messi suddenly ready to wear SE shirt, Rohr would ignore him, because he has not played before. That is a crappy coach who does not know how to adapt to situations. Any coach worth his salt will be able to put a new player into a system if he can bring more to that system than the previous players. To top it off nobody said that the "new" player has to start, but they could easily make an impact off the bench.

We just witnessed a US team, THAT HAS NEVER BEFORE PLAYED TOGETHER, win the Gold Cup, beating out a Mexican team that has played together since the previous World Cup. So this idea that "new players" is somehow detrimental, is complete hogwash and the utterances of a lazy and conservative coach who has absolutely no imagination at all.

It is clear that SE needs to be improved in certain areas, and the fact that Rohr continues to ignore this and keep things "as they are" is not a good sign for SE if you ask me.

It also is not as if Rohr uses friendlies to address these issues. He never likes to try new players, unless injuries or withdrawls forces his hand, so frankly I dont know when his time to experiment would be.

We still have not solved these problem areas.

1. Who is Osimehn's backup ? Should Osimehn be unavailable SE will struggle to score. Onuachu is not Osimehn's backup. He CANNOT start matches and have SE play our usual style. If Rohr has not figured this out, he is a completely useless coach.

2. Who is Ndidi's backup ? I hope Rohr is not telling me that he is happy to have Shehu Abdullahi step in for Ndidi.

3. Who are our top wingers in Chukwueze's absense ? Rohr still does not know. He is still wasting time calling up junks like Musa and Iwuala, who have NOTHING to offer SE. How can calling up "new" players be any worse than parading these junks. They cannot.

I have sounded the warning before and I am doing it again, but I will tell you all that a disaster will befall SE so long as Rohr continues this lazy approach to coaching.

We are a few injuries or suspensions away from having a really tough time in World Cup Qualifying and also at the AFCON.

and speaking of AFCON, Is Rohr trying to say that there will be no new players at AFCON, since I dont believe there will be any more occasions to try out new players.

We still have not looked at

AlHassan Yusuf
Kelechi Nwakali
Obinna Nwobodo
Sadiq Umar
Ovie Ejaria
Ademola Lookman
Paul Mukairu
Taiwo Awoniyi

How can any sane coach who regularly parades junks like Shehu Abdullahi, Ahmed Musa, Anayo Iwuala, and a Basketball player who cannot keep up with the pace of the game be happy and have no wish to look at the above players. It is pure idiocy to be honest.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: This Stupid "No New Players" Mantra

Post by bret- hart »

Guy when are you going to stop defending ****? Its clear the man is out of his depth.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I have given up. Nah sidon look mode i dey now. We ain't making Qatar or winning afcon
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:01 am Guy when are you going to stop defending ****? Its clear the man is out of his depth.
How am I defending him ?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:14 am OwnGoal has quoted Rohr saying "no new players for qualifiers"

Even though OG has a shaky record, they do get it right at times, and this is a quote that has constantly been attributed to Rohr, so I am inclined to believe it.

I am getting sick and tired of Rohr using this stupid "no new players" excuse every time we play a competitive match. Citing the whole "we cannot try new players in a competitive match" This to me just seems like lazy scouting, and a complete lack of forward thinking. This also shows to me that Rohr does not see any problems with our team and is not trying to improve the team, especially in problem areas.

The idea that you cannot call up new players, (nobody said wholesale changes) to replace ones who are clearly dead woods, or not really offering much, simply because you are playing a competitive match is ridiculous and just a lazy excuse.

Is Rohr to tell me that were Messi suddenly ready to wear SE shirt, Rohr would ignore him, because he has not played before. That is a crappy coach who does not know how to adapt to situations. Any coach worth his salt will be able to put a new player into a system if he can bring more to that system than the previous players. To top it off nobody said that the "new" player has to start, but they could easily make an impact off the bench.

We just witnessed a US team, THAT HAS NEVER BEFORE PLAYED TOGETHER, win the Gold Cup, beating out a Mexican team that has played together since the previous World Cup. So this idea that "new players" is somehow detrimental, is complete hogwash and the utterances of a lazy and conservative coach who has absolutely no imagination at all.

It is clear that SE needs to be improved in certain areas, and the fact that Rohr continues to ignore this and keep things "as they are" is not a good sign for SE if you ask me.

It also is not as if Rohr uses friendlies to address these issues. He never likes to try new players, unless injuries or withdrawls forces his hand, so frankly I dont know when his time to experiment would be.

1. Who is Osimehn's backup ? Should Osimehn be unavailable SE will struggle to score. Onuachu is not Osimehn's backup. He CANNOT start matches and have SE play our usual style. If Rohr has not figured this out, he is a completely useless coach.

2. Who is Ndidi's backup ? I hope Rohr is not telling me that he is happy to have Shehu Abdullahi step in for Ndidi.

3. Who are our top wingers in Chukwueze's absense ? Rohr still does not know. He is still wasting time calling up junks like Musa and Iwuala, who have NOTHING to offer SE. How can calling up "new" players be any worse than parading these junks. They cannot.

I have sounded the warning before and I am doing it again, but I will tell you all that a disaster will befall SE so long as Rohr continues this lazy approach to coaching.

We are a few injuries or suspensions away from having a really tough time in World Cup Qualifying and also at the AFCON.

and speaking of AFCON, Is Rohr trying to say that there will be no new players at AFCON, since I dont believe there will be any more occasions to try out new players.

AlHassan Yusuf
Kelechi Nwakali
Obinna Nwobodo
Sadiq Umar
Ovie Ejaria
Ademola Lookman
Paul Mukairu
Taiwo Awoniyi

How can any sane coach who regularly parades junks like Shehu Abdullahi, Ahmed Musa, Anayo Iwuala, and a Basketball player who cannot keep up with the pace of the game be happy and have no wish to look at the above players. It is pure idiocy to be honest.
At the moment, these players are at best squad players. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over any of them apart from maybe Sadiq - and that’s as a back up to Osimhen. Ademola Lookman hasn’t even made the switch yet.

Our major weakness tight now is central defenders and if there had been one or two credible CDs on your list, then you’d have had a point.
We can’t keep on trying new players that aren’t markedly better than what we already have.

Already Rohr is accused of “building” the team for too long.
Anyone coming in needs to be worth the change.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:01 am Guy when are you going to stop defending ****? Its clear the man is out of his depth.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The fact that you think he is “defending” Rohr only goes to show you have abandoned all objectivity.
Just the mention of the name and you guys lose it instanta :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:14 am OwnGoal has quoted Rohr saying "no new players for qualifiers"

AlHassan Yusuf
Kelechi Nwakali
Obinna Nwobodo
Sadiq Umar
Ovie Ejaria
Ademola Lookman
Paul Mukairu
Taiwo Awoniyi

You're not making sense at all. You want Rohr to call players that have never practiced with his team for a WC qualifier? Who does that? Pls give examples of where this has been done in a WC qualifier. This is ridiculous! Please name a national or club coach that has ever done that at the highest level of competition. Emotional diatribe at its worst.
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Damunk wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:23 am

AlHassan Yusuf
Kelechi Nwakali
Obinna Nwobodo
Sadiq Umar
Ovie Ejaria
Ademola Lookman
Paul Mukairu
Taiwo Awoniyi

At the moment, these players are at best squad players. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over any of them apart from maybe Sadiq - and that’s as a back up to Osimhen. Ademola Lookman hasn’t even made the switch yet.

Our major weakness tight now is central defenders and if there had been one or two credible CDs on your list, then you’d have had a point.
We can’t keep on trying new players that aren’t markedly better than what we already have.

Already Rohr is accused of “building” the team for too long.
Anyone coming in needs to be worth the change.
Sorry Damunk I dont buy this "they aren't markedly better than what we have"

Ahmed Musa, Anayo Iwuala, and Shehu Abdullahi are absolute trash.

The players I listed above ARE markedly better than these guys.

Ahmed Musa has been crap for years, Iwuala has been horrible in his few appearances and does not deserve to be recalled.

Abdullahi offers absolutely nothing to the midfield.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

AlHassan Yusuf
Kelechi Nwakali
Obinna Nwobodo
Sadiq Umar
Ovie Ejaria
Ademola Lookman
Paul Mukairu
Taiwo Awoniyi

You must be a slow guy! Are you really just figuring this out? This is what we have been saying since 2018 after our world cup qualification, but you were busy defending the guy. We are talking of a coach that dropped Aina for Echiejile at 2018 world cup, a player who was in the Belgian second division.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

AlHassan Yusuf
Kelechi Nwakali
Obinna Nwobodo
Sadiq Umar
Ovie Ejaria
Ademola Lookman
Paul Mukairu
Taiwo Awoniyi

You could have made your point without calling our players junk. That was unnecessary.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

so no invitation for Awoniyi even though he's firing on all cylinders?
I am happy
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Defending Rohr? Are you sure you read correctly what Vancity wrote?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

AlHassan Yusuf
Kelechi Nwakali
Obinna Nwobodo
Sadiq Umar
Ovie Ejaria
Ademola Lookman
Paul Mukairu
Taiwo Awoniyi

ENOUGH OF THIS!!! is national team new testing ground? Let them prove themselves in better clubs and prove they are far above those currently in the team. you are no different from CCC calling for some hey yous.

How many times woudl Nwakali be given a chance even though he is a division 2 players.
Ovie Ejaria also a division 2 player that couldnt even take the shine of Olise one bit in this club. Obinna is playing in lowly rated turkey with a lowly rated team.
Paul mukairu wasnt retained at Anderletch and infact lost his starting shirt by jan this year.

Where is lookman sef.

I am a big fan of Alhassan Yusuf but please let him raise his standards in the BElgian that he just joined then we can say he is a better fit than Etebo, Ndidi, Aribo and Onyeka.

As for Taiwo Awoniyi, let him bang in goals and show he is more valuable than Osimhem, Onuachu, MOffi, simy etc. Hes 5 goals last season and 3 goals so far isnt enough. Lets see what he comes up with for another 8 weeks and we can start to make proper analysis and judgement.

BTW, who tries out new players in the first critical game of a World cup qualifier. Only an immature mind woudl do that.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Emir

You are wasting your time, VE thinks this is a weekend kick about where team chemistry is an afterthoughr.Good a thing we have professional managers who are trusted with managing the ream. May God have mercy!

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:35 am

AlHassan Yusuf
Kelechi Nwakali
Obinna Nwobodo
Sadiq Umar
Ovie Ejaria
Ademola Lookman
Paul Mukairu
Taiwo Awoniyi

You're not making sense at all. You want Rohr to call players that have never practiced with his team for a WC qualifier? Who does that? Pls give examples of where this has been done in a WC qualifier. This is ridiculous! Please name a national or club coach that has ever done that at the highest level of competition. Emotional diatribe at its worst.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

You all are fools.

Where did I say anything about "wholesale changes" that WOULD affect team chemistry.

You mean to tell me if Alhassan replaces Shehu and Mukairu replaces Iwuala, team chemistry will go out the window ?

Players who don't even really Play to begin with.

You guys aren't serious.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:01 pm You all are fools.

Where did I say anything about "wholesale changes" that WOULD affect team chemistry.

You mean to tell me if Alhassan replaces Shehu and Mukairu replaces Iwuala, team chemistry will go out the window ?

You guys aren't serious.

Methinks you are the fool here...

At what point does a manager focus on consolidating the team he has?

Half of the players you keep clamoring for, you probably have never seen or seen recently!

Ovie Ejaria? Are you kidding me?

Get serious for once!!!!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

After all of this. Looks like Rohr has new players on his standby list. So he must be thinking of inviting new players
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

txj wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:56 pm

You guys aren't serious.

Half of the players you keep clamoring for, you probably have never seen or seen recently!

Get serious for once!!!!

Please tell me how Shehu or Iwuala have anything to do with "team consolidation" or "team chemistry"

Tell me how one or two new players who are vast improvements will negatively effect any of this ?

Ovie Ejaria, one of the highest rated players in the championship last year, and a position we lack options in..

But yet Rohr can invite a hey you from Portugese second division or Cyprus.

Get real.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:10 pm

You guys aren't serious.

Get serious for once!!!!

Please tell me how Shehu or Iwuala have anything to do with "team consolidation" or "team chemistry"

Tell me how one or two new players who are vast improvements will negatively effect any of this ?

Ovie Ejaria, one of the highest rated players in the championship last year, and a position we lack options in..

Get real.

You like to write a lot of crap...and just throw up names Willy nilly...

First of all, Ejaria is not close to being one of the best players in the championship.

2nd he’s not close to being better than the players we have in central midfield.

3rd, a professional manager is not a PlayStation player who is forever trying new players.

This is not PlayStation.

You have to build a team. And when you have arrived at a core group, then any new players must bring something additional to the team.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

txj wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:10 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:10 pm

You guys aren't serious.

Get serious for once!!!!

Get real.

You like to write a lot of crap...and just throw up names Willy nilly...

First of all, Ejaria is not close to being one of the best players in the championship.

2nd he’s not close to being better than the players we have in central midfield.

3rd, a professional manager is not a PlayStation player who is forever trying new players.

This is not PlayStation.

You have to build a team. And when you have arrived at a core group, then any new players must bring something additional to the team.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Seriously, one does often get the impression that most of Vancity’s references are from FIFA EA Soccer.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

You guys aren't serious.
You should watch your language! Calling everyone who disagrees with you "fools" is really juvenile. Maybe you should look in the mirror- I am a Rohr sceptic but I disagree with you on this one.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

So how does this "No new players" idiocy now look when we had new caps in Michael starting in midfield to perfect effect.

Mind you I never even called for new players TO START but simply to be a part of the squad.

Also with the way Ejuke played it just makes a mockery of the idea that you must stick with the same old players just because you are familiar with them.

Rohr's "most familiar" player, Musa was the worst player on the pitch today. For all the talk of "team chemistry" somebody please tell me what "chemistry" Musa had with the team.

If you are crap you are crap, no matter how often you train with the team. If you are good, you are good even if it is your first cap.

Familiarity or supposed "chemistry" is no substitute for quality.

PERIOD.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

there is no reason why the following cannot be called up for the remaining qualifying matches.

AlHassan Yusuf
Ovie Ejaria (once cleared)
Ademola Lookman (once cleared)
Sadiq Umar (much better option than the basketballer)