Why It is time to Pause for Relief on Enyimba's Gesture

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Why It is time to Pause for Relief on Enyimba's Gesture

Post by Enugu II »

I have deliberately opened this thread because I seek it to be a a discourse that goes beyond mere comments or congratulations to Enyimba's recent appointment of Finidi George as its coach. The appointment is an important one that transcends what many of you think. Let me note below:

I realize Finidi was not Enyimba's first choice. I realize he has not coached a senior team. But I also realize that he is a guy who served Nigeria on the field with great honors. Perhaps, many will argue, he may be an all-time best wide player for Nigeria. He holds coaching batches WHATEVER those are really worth.

So what then is this about? It is about the continued baying for blood by the Football Federation and how players who have served Nigeria credibly have suffered under that baying of blood. . . . . . Leon Balogun may be next. . . . . Desire Oparanozie felt the hammer just recently.

So how does this relate to Finidi?

Many of you only know that Finidi has been seeking an Assistant's job with the Federation for years now. He had the badges. Yet, he has watched those less qualified step up to be offered jobs. Most recently, Joseph Yobo (without a badge) became an Assistant with the Super Eagles. Yes, Yobo was a leader of the team during his playing days. But so also was Finidi. And yet.......

Back in 2002, when Finidi was the Assistant Captain (to Sunny Oliseh) of the Super Eagles, there had been serious problems in camp. Players were not paid for a long length of time (similar to what obtains at the moment!!). Finidi was loud as the team leaders protested this situation before the eggheads of the FA and the Ministry. Till today, that debt is STILL OWED to several of those players and officials. That may yet be the case with this crop of players, TBH.

Nevertheless, I wrote then on this forum about the five leaders of the protest and the likelihood that the hammer may come upon them. Many of you doubted my sources. After all, it was not in any media at that point. How did I know? I never spoke to any of the players or an official. All you needed to do is to seek news about the team at every step and every moment from the mass media. I did that. It was really not only putting things together but to identify who will bear the cross. It was all based on intuition. Yet, it came to pass.

If you read Oliseh's recent biography, he details some of these issues and they dovetail with what I touched on at the time. However, one thing I did not know, was that Finidi was the key figure. I thought Oliseh was. Nevertheless, the five identified leaders (including Oliseh and Finidi) were clearly marked out to miss the 2002 World Cup that they had fought so hard to qualify the country. Not all of them ended up missing the World Cup. A few recanted and asked for forgiveness and were back in the fold. The careers of the others ended instantly, including Finidi's.

But Finidi's punishment did not end there. In 2021, almost a decade later (!), he was STILL brutally suffering from that episode. Finidi has applied for a coaching position with the NFF, several times over. Yet he has been denied. The Federation has not forgotten! Yes, the faces at the Federation may have changed but its tentacles remain. That Oliseh earned an opportunity to coach Nigeria was by grace. Without VP Seyi Akinwunmi, it would never have happened. Oliseh got that job because of Akinwunmi's pleadings and assurances, despite the history that shrouded Oliseh. Finidi had no godfather and so he suffered and continues to do so.

That Anyansi took a chance with Finidi is something to be commended. It is a chance. I hope Finidi takes it and runs with it. I can only wish him success.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Why It is time to Pause for Relief on Enyimba's Gesture

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:10 pm Image

I have deliberately opened this thread because I seek it to be a a discourse that goes beyond mere comments or congratulations to Enyimba's recent appointment of Finidi George as its coach. The appointment is an important one that transcends what many of you think. Let me note below:

I realize Finidi was not Enyimba's first choice. I realize he has not coached a senior team. But I also realize that he is a guy who served Nigeria on the field with great honors. Perhaps, many will argue, he may be an all-time best wide player for Nigeria. He holds coaching batches WHATEVER those are really worth.

So what then is this about? It is about the continued baying for blood by the Football Federation and how players who have served Nigeria credibly have suffered under that baying of blood. . . . . . Leon Balogun may be next. . . . . Desire Oparanozie felt the hammer just recently.

Many of you only know that Finidi has been seeking an Assistant's job with the Federation for years now. He had the badges. Yet, he has watched those less qualified step up to be offered jobs. Most recently, Joseph Yobo (without a badge) became an Assistant with the Super Eagles. Yes, Yobo was a leader of the team during his playing days. But so also was Finidi. And yet.......

Back in 2002, when Finidi was the Assistant Captain (to Sunny Oliseh) of the Super Eagles, there had been serious problems in camp. Players were not paid for a long length of time (similar to what obtains at the moment!!). Finidi was loud as the team leaders protested this situation before the eggheads of the FA and the Ministry. Till today, that debt is STILL OWED to several of those players and officials. That may yet be the case with this crop of players, TBH.

Nevertheless, I wrote then on this forum about the five leaders of the protest and the likelihood that the hammer may come upon them. Many of you doubted my sources. After all, it was not in any media at that point. How did I know? I never spoke to any of the players or an official. All you needed to do is to seek news about the team at every step and every moment from the mass media. I did that. It was really not only putting things together but to identify who will bear the cross. It was all based on intuition. Yet, it came to pass.

If you read Oliseh's recent biography, he details some of these issues and they dovetail with what I touched on at the time. However, one thing I did not know, was that Finidi was the key figure. I thought Oliseh was. Nevertheless, the five identified leaders (including Oliseh and Finidi) were clearly marked out to miss the 2002 World Cup that they had fought so hard to qualify the country. Not all of them ended up missing the World Cup. A few recanted and asked for forgiveness and were back in the fold. The careers of the others ended instantly, including Finidi's.

But Finidi's punishment did not end there. In 2021, almost a decade later (!), he was STILL brutally suffering from that episode. Finidi has applied for a coaching position with the NFF, several times over. Yet he has been denied. The Federation has not forgotten! Yes, the faces at the Federation may have changed but its tentacles remain. That Oliseh earned an opportunity to coach Nigeria was by grace. Without VP Seyi Akinwunmi, it would never have happened. Oliseh got that job because of Akinwunmi's pleadings and assurances, despite the history that shrouded Oliseh. Finidi had no godfather and so he suffered and continues to do so.

That Anyansi took a chance with Finidi is something to be commended. It is a chance. I hope Finidi takes it and runs with it. I can only wish him success.
But Enyimba is not the NFF.

NFF may still get their pound of flesh. NPFL still has a lot of politics.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:38 am
Enugu II wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:10 pm Image

But Enyimba is not the NFF.

NFF may still get their pound of flesh. NPFL still has a lot of politics.
Correct, Enyimba is not the NFF. However, it is certainly a relief that this guy now has opportunity in Nigeria. It may yet (depending on his performance in Aba) force the hands of the NFF. In my view, the likes of Finidi may simply ignore some of these treatment and simply seeking opportunities elsewhere and outside the country.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Prof., this your theory get as im be.

The same NFF gave Oliseh who by all accounts is a very recalcitrant person an opportunity.

Finidi's case might just be that the opportunity never presented itself for him to work with the NFF considering other people who were better placed.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:18 pm Prof., this your theory get as im be.

The same NFF gave Oliseh who by all accounts is a very recalcitrant person an opportunity.

Finidi's case might just be that the opportunity never presented itself for him to work with the NFF considering other people who were better placed.
Cell,

The story explains the Oliseh exception. You might also note the exception that allowed West to play at the WC 2002. Those exceptions required steps to make them happen but that did not mean that the NFF had been determined to put them in the cooler. Note that West needed to apologize and appeal in order to be let into the WC while the likes of Oliseh and Finidi did not.

How was Oliseh then appointed. Oliseh only got in because of a special pressure made by Akinwunmi to his colleagues. Amaju confirmed this, if you recall, a few years after he had been appointed. Thus, exceptions did exist.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Oliseh’s book confirmed EII position. The politics of soccer in Nigeria is worst than Italian mob rule.
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923