Cape Verde 1 Nigeria 2 FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Adisboy
Egg
Egg
Re: Cape Verde 1 Nigeria 2 FT

Post by Adisboy »

DIMKA76 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:22 pm If Naija gets drawn in the next round (if they get through) against one of Ivory Coast, Egypt, Algeria. Just get a regular supply of tissues because this Rohr bunch ain't going nowhere
My guy, I have watched these teams in these qualifiers and they are definitely not better. Egypt in particular will suffer if we play them. Algeria were very poor in the 2nd half against Burkina Faso & very nearly lost the game in the final minutes yesterday. Ivory Coast going forward are good but defensively are gifts that keep on giving especially Eric Bailly. Realistically we most likely will not play Algeria, Senegal, Tunisia as we will all be in pot 1. What baffles me is that most people assume greatness of these teams without actually watching them. On balance from the first 2 rounds of games, Nigeria, Senegal & Tunisia have been the most impressive in the way they have handled their games. Nigeria is in a very good place as far these qualifiers are concerned.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

ohenhen1 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:31 pm Nigeria was lucky. But the team made their own luck. Against even an averagely better team like Libeia or Benin, Nigeria would have lost. There are a lot of positives from the game.

1. Awaziem and Omeruo played well
2. Henry Michael is developig well. That U20 group that lost to the US is not totally a failed set.
Why is it that when we beat a team they suddenly become poor? I can categorically tell you now that Cape Verde is a much better team than both Liberia & Benin. Cape Verde will most likely finish runners up in this group.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Sleaky72 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:41 pm Just saw the highlights.
Rank amateur hour!
Pathetic
Either go and watch the full match or shut the hell up!
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Adisboy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:22 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:41 pm Just saw the highlights.
Rank amateur hour!
Pathetic
Either go and watch the full match or shut the hell up!
Dunno how you were raised at home
but simple manners should teach you that
on a public forum people can have differing opinions
and you don’t need insults to disagree.
But I see you’re a product of your environment.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Flex Swift wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:39 am Good solid points!!!

We will have agree to disagree on Onauchu & Moffi. I seen enough of Moffi at club level to evaluate his game. He is similar to Isaac Success but a bigger version. For a big man Onauchu knows how to put the ball in the back of the net on the ground & in the air. Also he proved last season where he won the golden boot and set a new scoring record in the Belgium league. Moffi has to continue to develop scoring lots of goals to challenge both Victor & Paul. But it is great a competition to have and provide the team with quality.

On another point since we were so short in midfield I wondered why Olayinka wasn’t called up, I see him as a midfielder who could have contributed in that away game.

In terms of goal keepers one option that could be tried is rotate them. This what England did when they had Ray Clemence & Peter Shilton……… But Okoye gives away cheap goals from faulty positioning both at international and club levels.
Sounds like a good idea on paper but will it work and will it satisfy Nigerian fans?
One slip up by a GK and not only will he be crucified, so will the coach.

We tend to forget that Rohr, like any coach, not only wants to secure his team's victory, but also his job.
He will be cautious when required.

In Rohr's case, the consensus seems to be he is overly cautious.
So I doubt he would be too keen on rotating GKs esp in crucial games. Friendlies maybe, but he knows the unforgiving environment he works in and unless he is convinced Uzoho is on the same level in ALL areas, or has the potential to surpass Okoye, then he won't experiment with his keepers unless forced to.

I think every manager and certainly every defence will have their first choice GKing preferences and you might be surprised that this is part of the reasons for Okoye being his no 1.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mystic wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:25 am
1. That goal by Cape Verde was miles offside. The goalscorer was Moses Simon's man but we were playing a high defensive line. In fact, in that instance, our offside trap worked to perfection (but someone neglected to inform the referee)
I don't think so.
I believe it was a good call by the linesman and ref.

Look at the graphic below:

Yellow Line: Where I think the far side Nigerian defender's level is, allowing for parallax
Red Line: The line pitting the CV striker off side if he were at or beyond it. But I think the yellow line is the more accurate one.
Blue Line: Drawn in simply to put things in parallax perspective.

Ball: Notice the ball has already left the foot of the CV defender and his striker is still onside. (TBH, I couldn't edit this video to the precise point the ball was kicked, but its really a matter of microseconds).

Whoever the Nigerian defender was, he could see right across the field and therefore was to blame for keeping the CV striker on side.

Just my opinion of course.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Damunk wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:17 pm
1. That goal by Cape Verde was miles offside. The goalscorer was Moses Simon's man but we were playing a high defensive line. In fact, in that instance, our offside trap worked to perfection (but someone neglected to inform the referee)
I don't think so.

Yellow Line: Where I think the far side Nigerian defender's level is, allowing for parallax
Red Line: The line pitting the CV striker off side if he were at or beyond it. But I think the yellow line is the more accurate one.

Ball: Notice the ball has already left the foot of the CV defender and his striker is still onside. (TBH, I couldn't edit this video to the precise point the ball was kicked, but its really a matter of microseconds).

Whoever the Nigerian defender was, he could see right across the field and therefore was to blame for keeping the CV striker on side.

Saw the goal highlight and it was a good call.
The poor positioning of the Nigerian keeper
to be beaten at the near post is what should be highlighted
The less said about his starting point on the in swinging
ball that was nodded wide by inches, and could’ve tied the
game, the better.

The poor defending by both teams on the goals was pure amateur comedy hour level of play
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

I don't think so.

That's a great angle that I had not seen.

Cheers :thumb:
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

mystic wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:25 pm
I don't think so.

I stand corrected. That's a great angle that I had not seen.

Cheers :thumb:
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Neither did Brazil ever concede 7 goals to any team at home, except in the 2014 WC in a semi final game. Stuff happens in football! Lessons learnt. so deal with it and move on, instead of bemoaning the past.
You want to win AFCON and want WC Quarterfinals? Well, so does every African team (even the ones that to not qualify for AFCON), as well as every single team that plays in the WCQ. Guess what? Stuff happens. Deal with it.
Some of y'all really need to grow up and stop whining and pinning about everything under the sun. Rohr has met and continues to meet his deliverables. When he fails in meeting his deliverables, he will be terminated.
Right now, there is absolutely NO just cause to get rid of him, except that it will be an incredibly DUMB idea to do so at this point in time.
ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:01 am Amodu never gave up a 4 goal lead to Sierra Leone. We have seen Rohr at world cup. I supported the sack of Amodu for getting 3rd.at Afccn. I now support the sack of Rohr.
Should have been fire after the last world cup. I want to win Afcon. I want world cupQuarterfinak. I want to see progressively better play and world cup quarterfinals.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Otitokoro wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:52 pm Neither did Brazil ever concede 7 goals to any team at home, except in the 2014 WC in a semi final game. Stuff happens in football! Lessons learnt. so deal with it and move on, instead of bemoaning the past.
You want to win AFCON and want WC Quarterfinals? Well, so does every African team (even the ones that to not qualify for AFCON), as well as every single team that plays in the WCQ. Guess what? Stuff happens. Deal with it.
Some of y'all really need to grow up and stop whining and pinning about everything under the sun. Rohr has met and continues to meet his deliverables. When he fails in meeting his deliverables, he will be terminated.
Right now, there is absolutely NO just cause to get rid of him, except that it will be an incredibly DUMB idea to do so at this point in time.
ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:01 am Amodu never gave up a 4 goal lead to Sierra Leone. We have seen Rohr at world cup. I supported the sack of Amodu for getting 3rd.at Afccn. I now support the sack of Rohr.
Should have been fire after the last world cup. I want to win Afcon. I want world cupQuarterfinak. I want to see progressively better play and world cup quarterfinals.
Brazil played Germany in a World up Semifnials

Nigeria gave up a 4 goal lead to mighty Sierra Leone at home.

My problem is why is it that certain people don't treat local coaches the same way they treat foreign coaches. Tend to lower standards and expectations for foreign coaches. If a local coach achieved the same results Rohr achieved, he would have been fired by now. And non of the Rohr supporters will defend the local coach. I dont want NIgeria to lower any standard. The target should always be Afcon title and at least world cup 2nd round. FAilure to meet that standard after having more than 5 years to improve the team should lead to the sack of the coach.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Sleaky72 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:27 pm
I don't think so.

Saw the goal highlight and it was a good call.
The poor positioning of the Nigerian keeper
to be beaten at the near post is what should be highlighted
The less said about his starting point on the in swinging
ball that was nodded wide by inches, and could’ve tied the
game, the better.

The poor defending by both teams on the goals was pure amateur comedy hour level of play
Great angle.
Lots of shocking things here:
Where is Shehu going?
Why no pressure whatsoever on the ball considering how high a line we are playing?
How are Awaziem and Omeruo so out of synch?

Basic stuff
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

@ohenhen - Your points are all salient and valid

This is always the struggle of the Naija fan; with the squad we have now can we be better at major competition? I would say yes, this guy's coaching MIGHT win us an ANC and take us to the farther reaches of a WC

The likelier outcome will be if we have success it will be team camaraderie and individual brilliance that tips us over....under his watch so he can claim some of the kudos

However, we can't even pay his SALARY right now or meet our OBLIGATIONSto the players.....will that change with someone else local or foreign??

So do you rip it all up to arrive here again in the not too distant future or accept our incompetent football admins for what they are and enjoy the good times and criticize the bad.....?

I've seen this movie too many times......
ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:13 pm
Otitokoro wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:52 pm Neither did Brazil ever concede 7 goals to any team at home, except in the 2014 WC in a semi final game. Stuff happens in football! Lessons learnt. so deal with it and move on, instead of bemoaning the past.

My problem is why is it that certain people don't treat local coaches the same way they treat foreign coaches. Tend to lower standards and expectations for foreign coaches. If a local coach achieved the same results Rohr achieved, he would have been fired by now. And non of the Rohr supporters will defend the local coach. I dont want NIgeria to lower any standard. The target should always be Afcon title and at least world cup 2nd round. FAilure to meet that standard after having more than 5 years to improve the team should lead to the sack of the coach.
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

tedder89 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:38 pm @ohenhen - Your points are all salient and valid

This is always the struggle of the Naija fan; with the squad we have now can we be better at major competition? I would say yes, this guy's coaching MIGHT win us an ANC and take us to the farther reaches of a WC

The likelier outcome will be if we have success it will be team camaraderie and individual brilliance that tips us over....under his watch so he can claim some of the kudos

However, we can't even pay his SALARY right now or meet our OBLIGATIONSto the players.....will that change with someone else local or foreign??

So do you rip it all up to arrive here again in the not too distant future or accept our incompetent football admins for what they are and enjoy the good times and criticize the bad.....?

:clap:
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

tedder89 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:38 pm @ohenhen - Your points are all salient and valid

Wise words tedder.

Ohenhen, do you want lotto numbers also ? :taunt: :mrgreen:

Armchair analysis is always easy, until the rubber hits the road in what is the Naija environment
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

i say still fire him. Cant lower our standards. The alternative is to keep a coach that has failed for almost 5 years in charge of the Eagles. I am patient guy. I like giving evey one a fair chance. Rohr has gotten almost 5 years. The team is not improving. It is actually now regressing. It is time to make a change. Also need to cchange things administrative within the NFF. The same people that made the hire should not be allowed to make another mistake.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Cape Verde 1 Nigeria 2

Post by Scipio Africanus »

cruxifixoy2k wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:53 pm Gone are the days when you can easily predict and name Eagles starting players. Today it is Ejike, tomorrow Mba, week after it is Buhari.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Una no go kill persin for hia! :lol: :lol:

Wha choo looking at?!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Adisboy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:20 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:31 pm Nigeria was lucky. But the team made their own luck. Against even an averagely better team like Libeia or Benin, Nigeria would have lost. There are a lot of positives from the game.

1. Awaziem and Omeruo played well
2. Henry Michael is developig well. That U20 group that lost to the US is not totally a failed set.
Why is it that when we beat a team they suddenly become poor? I can categorically tell you now that Cape Verde is a much better team than both Liberia & Benin. Cape Verde will most likely finish runners up in this group.
...because according to naija experts and pundits on CE, when we win we are poor, and when we lose we are worse, and heads must role :?
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:21 pm i say still fire him. Cant lower our standards. The alternative is to keep a coach that has failed for almost 5 years in charge of the Eagles. I am patient guy. I like giving evey one a fair chance. Rohr has gotten almost 5 years. The team is not improving. It is actually now regressing. It is time to make a change. Also need to cchange things administrative within the NFF. The same people that made the hire should be allowed to make another mistake.
Any suggestions sir?

Do you have any ideas that can be put forward and how to execute?

Again it is easier said in the comfort of your living room in the great USA.

I also want people presenting realistic and actionable thoughts rather than all the moaning I've been reading on these pages.

So, there.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:21 pm i say still fire him. Cant lower our standards. The alternative is to keep a coach that has failed for almost 5 years in charge of the Eagles. I am patient guy. I like giving evey one a fair chance. Rohr has gotten almost 5 years. The team is not improving. It is actually now regressing. It is time to make a change. Also need to cchange things administrative within the NFF. The same people that made the hire should not be allowed to make another mistake.
...our standard has been low since 1994-1996 era, the only place our standard is high is throwing money at funerals and frivolous parties :lol:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Chief, no offense but this is loser talk.

Afraid to make changes because you are afraid the options out there will be worse?

That is how people who play it safe and are satisfied with mediocrity think.

You used Brazil as an example? A very poor example i might say. Brazil couldn't out European the Europeans. Germany exploited every fault line that Brazil had. When their flare player was out of the game, Brazil had no one to do the unexpected. You should have read the Brazilian newspapers and forums before, during and after the game.

Anyone who thinks that in a game where both teams are evenly matched that **** will outcoach the opposition is indeed naive. Nothing at this point has shown you that he possesses the skillset to win a game of wits.

But then again, I understand that my countrymen have been conditioned to think participation is as good as winning.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Please give it a rest, how long are we going to be on this same topic?
I am happy
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...that there is what many agitators don't comprehend.
Fire the man, and he will drag y'all to oyinbo court where he will definitely win and every penny paid back to him plus his lawyer and court fees.
Now, do you think the incompetent thieves at the NFA want to go thru all that?