Cape Verde 1 Nigeria 2 FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Re: Cape Verde 1 Nigeria 2 FT

Post by Otitokoro »

Same difference.
They were both international matches, even though one was worse than the other.
The point is neither match was or will be the last time a team would through away a big lead. (Same happened to Soviet Union in the Miracle of Damman).
Which local coach has qualified Nigeria for an international competition with games to spare? Was he fired? So which standards are you talking about? The guy has had two (2) competitions he qualified for - AFCON and 2018 WC, both of which he seamlessly qualified for from very tough groups, in both cases. He medaled in AFCON (his remit was to reach the Semis, which he did) and in the WC, was in a very tough group (Croatia, Argentina and Iceland), all of whom were VERY strong teams. Save for a bonehead decision on Victor Moses to sleep at the wheel (and Mrs. Ighalo's ridiculous miss), Nigeria was 4 mins away from making it to the round of 16. In the AFCON, we were undone by the brilliance of Riyad Mahrez's freekick.
Like I stated to you earlier, it would be incredibly dumb of anyone to fire a guy because, even though he met his contractual deliverables, he did not meet YOUR egotistically driven stretch objectives. The world doesn't work that way!
I would suggest you read up on Joachim Loew's journey as Coach of Germany. He was Germany's coach from 2008-2021. It is riddled with high and low points, BUT the key word is PATIENCE. That was what got Germany to be World Champions in 2018.
Rohr has two deliverables left in his contract - attain Semis in the upcoming AFCON and qualify for the WC. He is on track to attain both.
After that, y'all can choose to tie him to a stake and burn him for his 'sins', for all I care.
ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:13 pm

Brazil played Germany in a World up Semifnials

Nigeria gave up a 4 goal lead to mighty Sierra Leone at home.

My problem is why is it that certain people don't treat local coaches the same way they treat foreign coaches. Tend to lower standards and expectations for foreign coaches. If a local coach achieved the same results Rohr achieved, he would have been fired by now. And non of the Rohr supporters will defend the local coach. I dont want NIgeria to lower any standard. The target should always be Afcon title and at least world cup 2nd round. FAilure to meet that standard after having more than 5 years to improve the team should lead to the sack of the coach.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:13 pm Nigeria gave up a 4 goal lead to mighty Sierra Leone at home.
And we finished the qualifiers with 14 points, the same as Algeria, Senegal, and Morroco. The only team that got more points than Nigeria in the qualifiers is Tunisia with 16 points in a very weak group.

Look at the bigger picture. We had a bad fluke game. Our overall points tally in a decent group that included Benin (an AFCON regular), shows that SL game was just a bad day at the office.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
George Bush
Egg
Egg

Post by George Bush »

Cellular wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:41 pm
Otitokoro wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:52 pm Neither did Brazil ever concede 7 goals to any team at home, except in the 2014 WC in a semi final game. Stuff happens in football! Lessons learnt. so deal with it and move on, instead of bemoaning the past.
You want to win AFCON and want WC Quarterfinals? Well, so does every African team (even the ones that to not qualify for AFCON), as well as every single team that plays in the WCQ. Guess what? Stuff happens. Deal with it.
Some of y'all really need to grow up and stop whining and pinning about everything under the sun. Rohr has met and continues to meet his deliverables. When he fails in meeting his deliverables, he will be terminated.
Right now, there is absolutely NO just cause to get rid of him, except that it will be an incredibly DUMB idea to do so at this point in time.
ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:01 am Amodu never gave up a 4 goal lead to Sierra Leone. We have seen Rohr at world cup. I supported the sack of Amodu for getting 3rd.at Afccn. I now support the sack of Rohr.
Should have been fire after the last world cup. I want to win Afcon. I want world cupQuarterfinak. I want to see progressively better play and world cup quarterfinals.
Chief, no offense but this is loser talk.

Afraid to make changes because you are afraid the options out there will be worse?

That is how people who play it safe and are satisfied with mediocrity think.

You used Brazil as an example? A very poor example i might say. Brazil couldn't out European the Europeans. Germany exploited every fault line that Brazil had. When their flare player was out of the game, Brazil had no one to do the unexpected. You should have read the Brazilian newspapers and forums before, during and after the game.

Anyone who thinks that in a game where both teams are evenly matched that **** will outcoach the opposition is indeed naive. Nothing at this point has shown you that he possesses the skillset to win a game of wits.

But then again, I understand that my countrymen have been conditioned to think participation is as good as winning.

Cellular, pls confirm to the house say na me be SUPREME LEADER for hia!
Oti sheleh!!!
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

Otitokoro wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:01 pm Same difference.
The point is neither match was or will be the last time a team would through away a big lead. (Same happened to Soviet Union in the Miracle of Damman).
Which local coach has qualified Nigeria for an international competition with games to spare? Was he fired? So which standards are you talking about? The guy has had two (2) competitions he qualified for - AFCON and 2018 WC, both of which he seamlessly qualified for from very tough groups, in both cases. He medaled in AFCON (his remit was to reach the Semis, which he did) and in the WC, was in a very tough group (Croatia, Argentina and Iceland), all of whom were VERY strong teams. Save for a bonehead decision on Victor Moses to sleep at the wheel (and Mrs. Ighalo's ridiculous miss), Nigeria was 4 mins away from making it to the round of 16. In the AFCON, we were undone by the brilliance of Riyad Mahrez's freekick.
Like I stated to you earlier, it would be incredibly dumb of anyone to fire a guy because, even though he met his contractual deliverables, he did not meet YOUR egotistically driven stretch objectives. The world doesn't work that way!
I would suggest you read up on Joachim Loew's journey as Coach of Germany. He was Germany's coach from 2008-2021. It is riddled with high and low points, BUT the key word is PATIENCE. That was what got Germany to be World Champions in 2018.
Rohr has two deliverables left in his contract - attain Semis in the upcoming AFCON and qualify for the WC. He is on track to attain both.
After that, y'all can choose to tie him to a stake and burn him for his 'sins', for all I care.

My problem is why is it that certain people don't treat local coaches the same way they treat foreign coaches. Tend to lower standards and expectations for foreign coaches. If a local coach achieved the same results Rohr achieved, he would have been fired by now. And non of the Rohr supporters will defend the local coach. I dont want NIgeria to lower any standard. The target should always be Afcon title and at least world cup 2nd round. FAilure to meet that standard after having more than 5 years to improve the team should lead to the sack of the coach.
Mighty Eagle: True Talk indeed. We are devoid of patience and developmental acumen. If not why bother this coach when he doing well with the team and delivering on promises?
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:58 pm
oscar52 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:47 pm The team does not pass the eye test but again none of Rohr teams I have seen have. I will just wish them well but the guy don completely turn SE to flair-less team
This is exactly what you people said about Amodu’s teams to get him sacked after qualification.
Now y’all are shedding crocodile tears for the way the man was treated.
And if you’re too young to know, now you know. :idea:
Do they pass the eye test with you, be honest? I just don't see what I expect to see with a coach that has been at the helm for 5 years. I expect a finished well oiled product. Team looks like its their first game together even when the regulars are there. Nigerian soccer as a whole sha seems to be on life support. The soccer fields are not brimming with talent even in Naija as they used to, the boys and girls seems all interested in other things than sports in general. No excuse that Jamaica a nation of less than 3 million people should be dominating Nigeria in track and field.
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

oscar52 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:16 am
oscar52 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:47 pm The team does not pass the eye test but again none of Rohr teams I have seen have. I will just wish them well but the guy don completely turn SE to flair-less team
This is exactly what you people said about Amodu’s teams to get him sacked after qualification.
Do they pass the eye test with you, be honest? I just don't see what I expect to see with a coach that has been at the helm for 5 years. I expect a finished well oiled product. Team looks like its their first game together even when the regulars are there. Nigerian soccer as a whole sha seems to be on life support. The soccer fields are not brimming with talent even in Naija as they used to, the boys and girls seems all interested in other things than sports in general. No excuse that Jamaica a nation of less than 3 million people should be dominating Nigeria in track and field.
Terribly logic. India with over a billion people should win all the medals. Belgium has 10 million people and they have an amazing soccer team. You don’t need masses just need talent that comes up at the same time or long honed tradition like Jamaica in track and field.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

kawawa wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:36 am
Terribly logic. India with over a billion people should win all the medals. Belgium has 10 million people and they have an amazing soccer team. You don’t need masses just need talent that comes up at the same time or long honed tradition like Jamaica in track and field.
I suggest reading Malcolm Gladwell's popular work on this. In summary, while we may have certain physical traits no one is born with soccer talent. Kicking a football is foreign to all if us and we must work repeatedly on it to be good. The fact that India us not good in it is because it isnt a sport that a h u get number of them focus on. Think badminton and field hockey. USA could dominate world soccer but the fact is that many young men that could have been great soccer players may have chosen to play American gridiron football or basketball.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:21 am
I suggest reading Malcolm Gladwell's popular work on this. In summary, while we may have certain physical traits no one is born with soccer talent. Kicking a football is foreign to all if us and we must work repeatedly on it to be good. The fact that India us not good in it is because it isnt a sport that a h u get number of them focus on. Think badminton and field hockey. USA could dominate world soccer but the fact is that many young men that could have been great soccer players may have chosen to play American gridiron football or basketball.
Prof,

I might have to respectfully disagree with you on the bolded, I belive there are many people who are born with natural talents for a certain sport, been born with a natural talent for something can't be measured on the same benchmark or metric as honing a certain skill over a period of time... you can't tell me the likes of Pele, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, CR7, Micheal Jordan etc and other icons in their various sporting areas of excellence weren't genetically configured to excel in those sports.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Otitokoro wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:01 pm Same difference.

KPOM.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Amodu qualified Nigeria for 2 worldcups. Won countless bronze..Keshi qualified Nigeria for one worldcup as well as winning afcon....then Keshi qualified a minnow to a worldcup. We all know what **** did with Gabon, Niger and Burkina
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:49 am Amodu qualified Nigeria for 2 worldcups. Won countless bronze..Keshi qualified Nigeria for one worldcup as well as winning afcon....then Keshi qualified a minnow to a worldcup. We all know what **** did with Gabon, Niger and Burkina
Stop whining and support your team BP!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:54 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:49 am Amodu qualified Nigeria for 2 worldcups. Won countless bronze..Keshi qualified Nigeria for one worldcup as well as winning afcon....then Keshi qualified a minnow to a worldcup. We all know what **** did with Gabon, Niger and Burkina
I am not, that was a response to otikorro who was stating **** qualified etc... this isn't a feat.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:22 am
I am not, that was a response to otikorro who was stating **** qualified etc... this isn't a feat.
It isn't a feat.

Yet your hero Keshi couldn't qualify for a common afcon.

And even after that, the man didn't even have the decency to step down. He had to be forced out.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Rohrism (the act of lowering standards). Rohrist excuse.
1) We were in a very TOUGH wc group.
2)The teams in our grooup were VERY strong.
2) We were only 4 minutes away from the WC second round.
3)Rohr qualified SE for Afcon.
4)Rohr won a golden bronze.
5) To be updated when new excuses are found.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:38 am
It isn't a feat.

And even after that, the man didn't even have the decency to step down. He had to be forced out.
He won an AFCON! He won it!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:49 am
Prof,

I might have to respectfully disagree with you on the bolded, I belive there are many people who are born with natural talents for a certain sport, been born with a natural talent for something can't be measured on the same benchmark or metric as honing a certain skill over a period of time... you can't tell me the likes of Pele, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, CR7, Micheal Jordan etc and other icons in their various sporting areas of excellence weren't genetically configured to excel in those sports.
Tobi

You need to read about hours put in developing their craft by players like Ronaldo. Do not think these guys just play when the television is on. Often these players hone their craft hours on end beyond the camera. Oliseh details hours spent by certain players just honing skill for free kicks. If guys like Messi or Ronaldo go out injured for like an 18 month period they will fall behind their colleagues. It requires constant work. Football us not natural. No one is born with it. You may have athletic skills like running but playing football is foreign to all of us and we have to repeatedly work on it. Your natural physical ability may help but you still must work and do it for hours.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

aruako1 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:34 pm
It isn't a feat.

He is afraid to face that reality that Sunday Mba the Elephant slayer won an AFCON GOLD with Keshi as coach! It will torment him for LIFE :thumbs:

AFCON trophy, WC 2nd round at FIRST attempt :clap:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

wanaj0 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:19 am
It isn't a feat.

He is afraid to face that reality that Sunday Mba the Elephant slayer won an AFCON GOLD with Keshi as coach! It will torment him for LIFE :thumbs:

Yes. Sunday Mba from Enugu Rangers won the AFCON with Keshi. I want Rohr to win it too but I'll not take any "oyibo na oyibo" themed Keshi slander from the one who ran away to support Ivory Coast and was not man enough to admit that he made a mistake.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:51 am
It isn't a feat.

Yes. Sunday Mba from Enugu Rangers won the AFCON with Keshi. I want Rohr to win it too but I'll not take any "oyibo na oyibo" themed Keshi slander from the one who ran away to support Ivory Coast and was not man enough to admit that he made a mistake.
I think it has become pretty obvious over the years that VE can be very impulsive and “wears his heart on his sleeve” as Oyibo dey talk am.
I don’t think anyone genuinely believes he ‘hates’ the SE, or loves CIV or whatever country he has been known to root for against Naija.

Point is, you just don’t express such extreme emotion in a place like this. Big mistake. You will never live it down and it will forever be held against you. :rotf:

Not much different though from all those Nigerians who cynically refer to the SE as “your team’, “your players” and “your coach” or will say “you will lose” or “they will beat you”.
Some kind of dysfunctional anxiety management that really pi$$es me off.
Those ones too, dem plenti for here.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:43 am
aruako1 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:51 am

It isn't a feat.

I think it has become pretty obvious over the years that VE can be very impulsive and “wears his heart on his sleeve” as Oyibo dey talk am.
I don’t think anyone genuinely believes he ‘hates’ the SE, or loves CIV or whatever country he has been known to root for against Naija.

Point is, you just don’t express such extreme emotion in a place like this. Big mistake. You will never live it down and it will forever be held against you. :rotf:

Not much different though from all those Nigerians who cynically refer to the SE as “your team’, “your players” and “your coach” or will say “you will lose” or “they will beat you”.
Some kind of dysfunctional anxiety management that really pi$$es me off.
Those ones too, dem plenti for here.
It is not impulse for VE...he has some players or coaches that he hates and NEVER sees anything good about them. When they do well, he takes a break and comes back to pick on them when they slip up. His latest targets are Iwuala and Bonke.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

I agree with you in general but honestly, I just don’t see the best American football and basketball players looking graceful on a regular football🙂❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:33 pm
I agree with you in general but honestly, I just don’t see the best American football and basketball players looking graceful on a regular football🙂❗️

Cheers.
TTTK,

Ofcourse, it is difficult to imagine because they do to play the game. But indulge for one moment and note how fast the sprinters are and ask what is possible with those guys if they had dedicated their youth hours playing soccer. Watch the silky skill of the basketball dribblers (e.g. SAllen Iverson) at his prime ands ask how good he may have been if he had dedicated long hours playing soccer instead of basketball. Think if JJ Okocha had dedicated hours playing basketball as a kid? That is what this really comes down to.

These guys who turn out to be great are born with a favorable physique but there are numerous others born with similar physique that amounted to nothing in soccer. The difference is the great soccer guys dedicated hours honing an unnatural skill (i.e. mastering a foreign object called soccer ball) while others with similar physique did not.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Bros, I don’t agree with you that no one is born with soccer talent. I can speak for myself. I was born with above average soccer talent and so were my two younger brothers. We stood out anywhere we played from when we were in our respective primary schools but we just didn’t follow the professional route. And my dad also played football for his school, my mum was a sprinter for school and state, my younger sister was an all rounder (sprints, long jump, handball) who was called to Lagos State camp. And we didn’t have to work hard at it to stand out.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."