Cape Verde 1 Nigeria 2 FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Cape Verde 1 Nigeria 2 FT

Post by Bigpokey24 »

😂😂😂 lolly is a joker. Anyone can make up stuff and then rate themselves. You weren't good enough. If you were good , you would have played at the highest levels. Your brain deceived you thinking you were good in football. Your only talent is to post negative boring topics and news on rant and rave
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:29 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:33 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:21 am
kawawa wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:36 am
oscar52 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:16 am
Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:58 pm
oscar52 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:47 pm The team does not pass the eye test but again none of Rohr teams I have seen have. I will just wish them well but the guy don completely turn SE to flair-less team
This is exactly what you people said about Amodu’s teams to get him sacked after qualification.
Now y’all are shedding crocodile tears for the way the man was treated.
And if you’re too young to know, now you know. :idea:
Do they pass the eye test with you, be honest? I just don't see what I expect to see with a coach that has been at the helm for 5 years. I expect a finished well oiled product. Team looks like its their first game together even when the regulars are there. Nigerian soccer as a whole sha seems to be on life support. The soccer fields are not brimming with talent even in Naija as they used to, the boys and girls seems all interested in other things than sports in general. No excuse that Jamaica a nation of less than 3 million people should be dominating Nigeria in track and field.
Terribly logic. India with over a billion people should win all the medals. Belgium has 10 million people and they have an amazing soccer team. You don’t need masses just need talent that comes up at the same time or long honed tradition like Jamaica in track and field.
I suggest reading Malcolm Gladwell's popular work on this. In summary, while we may have certain physical traits no one is born with soccer talent. Kicking a football is foreign to all if us and we must work repeatedly on it to be good. The fact that India us not good in it is because it isnt a sport that a h u get number of them focus on. Think badminton and field hockey. USA could dominate world soccer but the fact is that many young men that could have been great soccer players may have chosen to play American gridiron football or basketball.
I agree with you in general but honestly, I just don’t see the best American football and basketball players looking graceful on a regular football🙂❗️

Cheers.
TTTK,

Ofcourse, it is difficult to imagine because they do to play the game. But indulge for one moment and note how fast the sprinters are and ask what is possible with those guys if they had dedicated their youth hours playing soccer. Watch the silky skill of the basketball dribblers (e.g. SAllen Iverson) at his prime ands ask how good he may have been if he had dedicated long hours playing soccer instead of basketball. Think if JJ Okocha had dedicated hours playing basketball as a kid? That is what this really comes down to.

These guys who turn out to be great are born with a favorable physique but there are numerous others born with similar physique that amounted to nothing in soccer. The difference is the great soccer guys dedicated hours honing an unnatural skill (i.e. mastering a foreign object called soccer ball) while others with similar physique did not.
I hear you but it’s still hard to imagine Wilt Chamberlain or Kareem Abdul Jabber winning the ballon d’Or😃❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:33 am
Enugu II wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:29 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:33 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:21 am
kawawa wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:36 am
oscar52 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:16 am
Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:58 pm
This is exactly what you people said about Amodu’s teams to get him sacked after qualification.
Now y’all are shedding crocodile tears for the way the man was treated.
And if you’re too young to know, now you know. :idea:
Do they pass the eye test with you, be honest? I just don't see what I expect to see with a coach that has been at the helm for 5 years. I expect a finished well oiled product. Team looks like its their first game together even when the regulars are there. Nigerian soccer as a whole sha seems to be on life support. The soccer fields are not brimming with talent even in Naija as they used to, the boys and girls seems all interested in other things than sports in general. No excuse that Jamaica a nation of less than 3 million people should be dominating Nigeria in track and field.
Terribly logic. India with over a billion people should win all the medals. Belgium has 10 million people and they have an amazing soccer team. You don’t need masses just need talent that comes up at the same time or long honed tradition like Jamaica in track and field.
I suggest reading Malcolm Gladwell's popular work on this. In summary, while we may have certain physical traits no one is born with soccer talent. Kicking a football is foreign to all if us and we must work repeatedly on it to be good. The fact that India us not good in it is because it isnt a sport that a h u get number of them focus on. Think badminton and field hockey. USA could dominate world soccer but the fact is that many young men that could have been great soccer players may have chosen to play American gridiron football or basketball.
I agree with you in general but honestly, I just don’t see the best American football and basketball players looking graceful on a regular football🙂❗️

Cheers.
TTTK,

Ofcourse, it is difficult to imagine because they do to play the game. But indulge for one moment and note how fast the sprinters are and ask what is possible with those guys if they had dedicated their youth hours playing soccer. Watch the silky skill of the basketball dribblers (e.g. SAllen Iverson) at his prime ands ask how good he may have been if he had dedicated long hours playing soccer instead of basketball. Think if JJ Okocha had dedicated hours playing basketball as a kid? That is what this really comes down to.

These guys who turn out to be great are born with a favorable physique but there are numerous others born with similar physique that amounted to nothing in soccer. The difference is the great soccer guys dedicated hours honing an unnatural skill (i.e. mastering a foreign object called soccer ball) while others with similar physique did not.
I hear you but it’s still hard to imagine Wilt Chamberlain or Kareem Abdul Jabber winning the ballon d’Or😃❗️

Cheers.
LOL. Why not Allen Iverson? Why not Russell Westbrook? Why not Russell Wilson? It is only difficult because they never learned to play soccer. Pele, Maradona, and Messi put in the hours learning how to b play soccer. Those hours made the difference.

BTW, who is to say Maduka Okoye could not have been a great guard in the NBA if only he had put in the hours in basketball instead of football?
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Some people are definitely born with the potential to be good at football specifically (and not just athletic endeavours in general). For every player you see in one of the top tier leagues, there are hundreds who worked just as hard and never made it there. By the time you see someone playing for Nigeria or any of the top national teams, think about the levels of filtering they've had to go through before you actually see them on TV. They're the cream of the crop, with so many others who tried just as hard (if not harder) and were never able to get to the top. Many of these kids who become good enough to play at the top tier by 19 just went about life as normal teens do, apart from football being their #1 pastime.

What professionalism does bring is consistency and longevity (on top of the raw potential). For example, Maradona was more talented than Messi, but Messi has achieved more at club level because he has taken better care of himself.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Orion wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:17 pm Some people are definitely born with the potential to be good at football specifically (and not just athletic endeavours in general). For every player you see in one of the top tier leagues, there are hundreds who worked just as hard and never made it there. By the time you see someone playing for Nigeria or any of the top national teams, think about the levels of filtering they've had to go through before you actually see them on TV. They're like the cream at the top, with so many others who tried just as hard (if not harder) and were never able to get to the top. Many of these kids who become good enough to play at the top tier by 19 just went about life as normal teens do, apart from football being their #1 pastime.

What professionalism does bring is consistency and longevity (on top of the raw potential). For example, Maradona was more talented than Messi, but Messi has achieved more at club level because he has taken better care of himself.
Orion

That is not debatable. You have to have the potential but so hav millions. The difference is the work you put in. For instance, a poor physical traits will limit you no matter how hard you work. But all those with ph u sick trait cannot be the best players. You must work very hard to become one. Think about this why was JJ Okocha's great grandfather not a soccer superstar? Why did we not have a supremely talented female soccer star in 1850?

BTW, read up on Cristiano Ronaldo. He spends hours after his team mares have left the training ground just to practice set pieces. Yet you see him on match days strike them and assume he was born to do so! Br I s, practice is important. All these guys you see work really hard at their craft. They are not born with it.

Let me pose a few questions:
1. What accounts for the fact that some players are better than others at u15 and then are no where at pro level and a poor player at u15 level ends up being great at pro level?
2. If guys are born great why do we then need a coach for them? Perhaps, there is no need for coaching?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:23 pm
Orion wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:17 pm Some people are definitely born with the potential to be good at football specifically (and not just athletic endeavours in general). For every player you see in one of the top tier leagues, there are hundreds who worked just as hard and never made it there. By the time you see someone playing for Nigeria or any of the top national teams, think about the levels of filtering they've had to go through before you actually see them on TV. They're like the cream at the top, with so many others who tried just as hard (if not harder) and were never able to get to the top. Many of these kids who become good enough to play at the top tier by 19 just went about life as normal teens do, apart from football being their #1 pastime.

Orion

That is not debatable. You have to have the potential but so hav millions. The difference is the work you put in. For instance, a poor physical traits will limit you no matter how hard you work. But all those with ph u sick trait cannot be the best players. You must work very hard to become one. Think about this why was JJ Okocha's great grandfather not a soccer superstar? Why did we not have a supremely talented female soccer star in 1850?

BTW, read up on Cristiano Ronaldo. He spends hours after his team mares have left the training ground just to practice set pieces. Yet you see him on match days strike them and assume he was born to do so! Br I s, practice is important. All these guys you see work really hard at their craft. They are not born with it.

Let me pose a few questions:
1. What accounts for the fact that some players are better than others at u15 and then are no where at pro level and a poor player at u15 level ends up being great at pro level?
2. If guys are born great why do we then need a coach for them? Perhaps, there is no need for coaching?
The problem is when you say "the work you put in". That's a bit misleading because, for many of them, it's not "work" but play. It comes effortlessly to them. In fact, those who had to "work" at it are usually the ones who never made it past the lower leagues.

I read the stuff about Cristiano Ronaldo. He has remained consistently at the top because of his professionalism, but he was already playing for ManU at 18. That was not based on being professional alone, but mostly talent and practice (same as many other kids his age playing football, but they never made it to ManU at 18).

I remember Lewis Hamilton (F1 racer) was once asked why he wasn't practising as hard as Rosberg and spending more time with his engineers tweaking his car and strategizing. His reply was that... well, maybe Rosberg feels he needs to work that hard to be competitive. The implication here is that Lewis does not feel he needs to work that hard to beat Rosberg. BTW, Rosberg was never able to match him (despite working harder apparently), aside from cheating.
Because the particular talent they were born with is more effective as they get older compared to the other player. Talent comes in many flavours. Maybe one guy can continue to be able to run faster while the other plateaus. Maybe one guy can continue to improve his dribbling skills while the other plateaus even with the same level of practice. Maybe one guy can continue to improve his reflexes as he gets older while the other guy plateaus, even with the same level of practice.
That is why I said "potential". Maradona just needed to go out and play football to realise his talent. Now the organisation of the game, honing a particular skill, and different tactics to play within a team is what the coach impacts on the player.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Interesting discussion.
All I might add is let’s not forget the mental factor.
Not just the conscious but also those personality traits that allow us handle stress and anxiety; the inevitable ups and downs; the confidence, self-belief, self-control, determination, aggression and all those elements that help us push that little bit harder than the next guy.
Intelligence and the so-called ‘football brain’, or ‘racing brain’ or ‘fighting instinct’.

Sometimes, all other things being equal, that’s just the difference.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Another opportunity presents its self to watch Innocent Bonke against Juventus in the champions league ...... I am hoping he shows this beast mode people referred to during World Cup qualifiers
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Flex Swift wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:05 pm Another opportunity presents its self to watch Innocent Bonke against Juventus in the champions league ...... I am hoping he shows this beast mode people referred to during World Cup qualifiers
Stop watching; there is nothing there.
How he is better than every HB.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:30 am Interesting discussion.
Not just the conscious but also those personality traits that allow us handle stress and anxiety; the inevitable ups and downs; the confidence, self-belief, self-control, determination, aggression and all those elements that help us push that little bit harder than the next guy.
Intelligence and the so-called ‘football brain’, or ‘racing brain’ or ‘fighting instinct’.

You're absolutely right. The mental factor is a big one. When you think about it, not many people over their lifetime really take the time to work on their mindset and how they handle things emotionally. The majority of people, as adults, still have what they were essentially born with on the mental front. So, we can see being strong mentally as another "talent" people are born with.

In fact, I've mentioned this before as contributing, IMO, to the high attrition rate of our players who go abroad at 17 instead of developing fully in more familiar environments at home. Going to a foreign land, different weather, different customs, little to no family support, and having to deal with new things they've not experienced before like racism etc. can take a toll on many of these players mentally and affect their progress.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:40 am
Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:30 am Interesting discussion.

You're absolutely right. The mental factor is a big one. When you think about it, not many people over their lifetime really take the time to work on their mindset and how they handle things emotionally. The majority of people, as adults, still have what they were essentially born with on the mental front. So, we can see being strong mentally as another "talent" people are born with.

In fact, I've mentioned this before as contributing, IMO, to the high attrition rate of our players who go abroad at 17 instead of developing fully in more familiar environments at home. Going to a foreign land, different weather, different customs, little to no family support, and having to deal with new things they've not experienced before like racism etc. can take a toll on many of these players mentally and affect their progress.
Its amazing how we discover more and more about our mental attributes every time we are exposed to new experiences and challenges.
What you say resonates with me at the moment because I am currently learning aspects of myself I never really thought existed until I put myself through a new experience - online trading. :rotf:

My mentor specifically told me at the very beginning: "You learn a lot about yourself in this business."
I thought she was joking, but she was absolutely right.

Not only in football and sport, but one's mental framework probably accounts for those marginal differences between success and failure in every aspect of life.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "