RE: Maduka Okoye (GK) Reviews

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
RE: Maduka Okoye (GK) Reviews

Post by txj »

On the goal, he clearly gambled on the shot going to his wide side, which is often never a good decision. Most GK coaches will teach focus on the fundamentals FIRST; which in this case was simple. Cover your near post! He failed clearly.

https://africanfutbol.blogspot.com/
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: RE: Maduka Okoye (GK) Reviews

Post by txj »

However, the concession of a goal, often requires greater analysis than a simple finger pointing. Yes, goals can be the direct result of goalkeeping howlers, but most goals are the result of larger problems and failures, before the ball ever gets to the goalie, however much we might expect them to deal with the problem.

https://africanfutbol.blogspot.com/

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

You dont get beaten near post. Even when you are playing a set. You don't get beaten near post. It is a no no no.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:37 pm You dont get beaten near post. Even when you are playing a set. You don't get beaten near post. It is a no no no.
List of GKs beaten in near post:

- Emma Okala
- Peter Czech
- Buffon
- Allison
- Ederson

I could go on and on...It happens...

waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

txj wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:46 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:37 pm You dont get beaten near post. Even when you are playing a set. You don't get beaten near post. It is a no no no.

- Emma Okala
- Peter Czech
- Buffon
- Allison
- Ederson

The great Dino Zoff beaten by Socrates in 1982. Yep, it happens.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

waka-man wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:52 pm

- Emma Okala
- Peter Czech
- Buffon
- Allison
- Ederson

Man U’s De Gea beaten near post in last minute vs Crystal Palace.

Too many more to mention….
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Maduka is a questionable goalkeeper so far. He needs to develop more. He should be no. 2 or 3 behind Akpeyi. The Sierra Leone game exposed him big time.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

1naija wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:52 pm Maduka is a questionable goalkeeper so far. He needs to develop more. He should be no. 2 or 3 behind Akpeyi. The Sierra Leone game exposed him big time.
No 2 most likely. Uzoho must return to number 1 from now on. Nduka will not save us from the likes of Brazil, Argentina, and Germany at the World stage. His reflexes are still infantile and he needs to develop further. He needs more experience.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

He is clearly not a number 1 goalkeeper. Look at how he rushed out for that header that was almost a equalizer with 5 mins to go?
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Igugu wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:21 pm
1naija wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:52 pm Maduka is a questionable goalkeeper so far. He needs to develop more. He should be no. 2 or 3 behind Akpeyi. The Sierra Leone game exposed him big time.
No 2 most likely. Uzoho must return to number 1 from now on. Nduka will not save us from the likes of Brazil, Argentina, and Germany at the World stage. His reflexes are still infantile and he needs to develop further. He needs more experience.
Neither did Uzoho when he had the chance 3 yrs ago. No disrespect to the young man, but many questioned his positioning and reflexes back then.
Granted he is older and hopefully ‘wiser’ now, but there isn’t much to either confirm or deny he is a better keeper than Okoye.
Plus he has been out for two years and that’s a lot for one so early in his career.

Anyway, here he is in action vs Argentina in the 2018 WC. You can see where his errors were judged to have been.
While you’re at it, you might as well enjoy the exciting, electric game and atmosphere. :thumbs:

This is actually the first time I’m watching the game again. The loss was too painful, but I see now from the highlights that it wasn’t as one sided as I seem to remember.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Uzoho is better. Okoye hasn't had a decent game for the SE. Lacks focus and concentration. Akpeyi is better than okoye
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Afcon 2019 vs Tunisia also vs Brazil ...Uzoho looked like Enyeama. We've regressed with okoye
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

To be frank, every goalkeeper makes an error but so also does every player and every coach. The reality is that Okoye has made more than his share of errors. However, it is also true that Uzoho has not demonstrated that he is any better. Our goalkeepers are just below average goalkeepers. That is just a shame considering that it was one department where we used to have very good players.

I fear that it will cost us dearly in a critical game soon enough especially where the goalkeeping may matter like the third round of the WCQs.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

1Naija, what is it with this your wish, or desire for Akpeyi as our goalkeeper?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

People only liked him because they wanted to have sex with him.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle, it's not my wish or desire. He is the best Nigeria has at the moment. We can be in denial and continue fielding below average goalkeepers like Okoye, but we know the truth. So no, I dont want Akpeyi to keep for us ahead of someone better, but you cannot with a straight face say any of the other goalkeepers we've been parading is better than him!

Odas wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:34 am
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

- Emma Okala
- Peter Czech
- Buffon
- Allison
- Ederson

Thats going too far sef! What of Lawal's goal against zubi zareta of Spain in 1998?...Nigerians sef! Now i understand why we have only just 2 players that reached 100 caps and why our all time scorer only had 39 goals . We are too quick to castigate players.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

1naija wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:57 am Uncle, it's not my wish or desire. He is the best Nigeria has at the moment. We can be in denial and continue fielding below average goalkeepers like Okoye, but we know the truth. So no, I dont want Akpeyi to keep for us ahead of someone better, but you cannot with a straight face say any of the other goalkeepers we've been parading is better than him!

It is funny I was telling some friends via our WhatsApp group the same thing after the CV game. Akpeyi is really the best of all 3 we currently have if we want to be honest with ourselves.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Robbynice wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:23 pm
1naija wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:57 am Uncle, it's not my wish or desire. He is the best Nigeria has at the moment. We can be in denial and continue fielding below average goalkeepers like Okoye, but we know the truth. So no, I dont want Akpeyi to keep for us ahead of someone better, but you cannot with a straight face say any of the other goalkeepers we've been parading is better than him!

It is funny I was telling some friends via our WhatsApp group the same thing after the CV game. Akpeyi is really the best of all 3 we currently have if we want to be honest with ourselves.
Thats the problem.
Everybody thinks they are being honest with themselves and that everyone else are deceiving themselves.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Robbynice wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:23 pm

Robby,

I actually share the same view. However, Akpeyi just isn't the favorite of the overwhelming majority of Nigerian fans (it seems) and the manager must think about that. Plus, I believe the Manager is constantly thinking of the distant future and age.

Hopefully, the kid Okoye can come good but some goals that he concedes makes one wonder what we happen in a tight game when we need everyone to be topnotch. It is scary.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

That was a poor goal to give up. Absolutely poor. Yes it happens. But it doesnt change the fact that it was poor goal to give up. Uzoho lost his starting spot because of injury. Uzoho is better in my opinion.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Thanks wakaman and Txj for bringing some tribal knowledge to this debate.
A lot of folks on this forum love posting, just for the sake of it.
Okoye will not be the first or last GK to be embarrassed by a near post goal.
Lessons learned, for the young man.
gochino wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:10 pm

- Emma Okala
- Peter Czech
- Buffon
- Allison
- Ederson

Thats going too far sef! What of Lawal's goal against zubi zareta of Spain in 1998?...Nigerians sef! Now i understand why we have only just 2 players that reached 100 caps and why our all time scorer only had 39 goals . We are too quick to castigate players.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

His positioning is terribly suspect. Against better opposition, we would have conceded at least three goals in that match.