Awoniyi: Time to make a case for him?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Awoniyi: Time to make a case for him?

Post by Tobi17 »

Onuachu for all his impressive goal scoring records still plays in a weaker league compared to Awoniyi, needless to say Onuachu has been a very bad fit for the SE so far cause we just don't seem to play to his strength. Awoniyi on the other hand has been doing the business in a superior league, and his overall football IQ has really improved, every time I watched him in couple of the Bundesliga games he played for Union Berlin, Awoniyi has always looked very good and far less clumsy than Onuachu. I know Rohr is big on keeping to his regulars, but it can't even be argued at this point that his system of football has been a huge disservice to Onuachu's game... if we're to be honest right now, the right pecking order for that #9 based on form, ability, and club/league pedigree should be as follows:

(1) Osimhen
(2) Kele
(3) Awoniyi
(4) Terem Moffi
(5) Onuachu
(6) Sadiq

on no basis should Onuachu be the second main striker to Osimhen, the guy is just too clumsy and it's obvious we don't play to his style.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Awoniyi: Time to make a case for him?

Post by vancity eagle »

I will say it time and time again.

Sadiq Umar. He is our most dynamic forward.

Too bad he missed those 2 callups and hasn't transfered to a better league.

Onuachu is not it.

I think Rohr is slowly moving back to his original opinion on him. I think it was key that Moffi came in well before Onuachu.
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

What about Simy? Not saying he is best, but should definitely be in that list of potential candidates. I think Awoniyi is underrated by Rohr, not sure why.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

the last time I watched Awoniyi he just seemed like a jambody striker to me. This was last season.

Has he improved his game ?
gurrano
Egg
Egg

Post by gurrano »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:51 pm the last time I watched Awoniyi he just seemed like a jambody striker to me. This was last season.

It is still early in the season but check out videos of some of the goals he has scored lately and tell me what you think

Sheikh
Egg
Egg

Post by Sheikh »

gurrano wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:07 am
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:51 pm the last time I watched Awoniyi he just seemed like a jambody striker to me. This was last season.

It is still early in the season but check out videos of some of the goals he has scored lately and tell me what you think

He has definitely improved. More confident too. His link up play with Kele during the U17 WC was outstanding, and it is certainly worth consideration to revive that in SE. Would increase the pressure on Osimhen. On current form I would take 4 strikers in the squad (Kele, Osimhen, Onuachu, Awoniyi). Would opt for Onuachu instead of Moffi as he offers a different angle.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Jambody ke??? Are you sure you have watched him play?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sheikh wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:20 am He has definitely improved. More confident too. His link up play with Kele during the U17 WC was outstanding, and it is certainly worth consideration to revive that in SE. Would increase the pressure on Osimhen. On current form I would take 4 strikers in the squad (Kele, Osimhen, Onuachu, Awoniyi). Would opt for Onuachu instead of Moffi as he offers a different angle.
I agree totally.
In fact I am quite surprised. His confidence level on the ball and his finishing is top level
Long may it continue.
Chai. Strikers are flowing like water.
Osimhen needs to watch his back.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I relish a Kele/Awoniyi combo like in their U17 world cup days, the duo had a terrific partnership. Osimhen besides needing more fierce competitionn for that #9 position, will definitely need some games where he can just rest knowing that his deputies can easily get the job done without him.

If only we produced more quality defenders as much FWDs/wingers.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:34 pm Onuachu for all his impressive goal scoring records still plays in a weaker league compared to Awoniyi, needless to say Onuachu has been a very bad fit for the SE so far cause we just don't seem to play to his strength. Awoniyi on the other hand has been doing the business in a superior league, and his overall football IQ has really improved, every time I watched him in couple of the Bundesliga games he played for Union Berlin, Awoniyi has always looked very good and far less clumsy than Onuachu. I know Rohr is big on keeping to his regulars, but it can't even be argued at this point that his system of football has been a huge disservice to Onuachu's game... if we're to be honest right now, the right pecking order for that #9 based on form, ability, and club/league pedigree should be as follows:

(1) Osimhen
(2) Kele
(3) Awoniyi
(4) Terem Moffi
(5) Onuachu
(6) Sadiq

on no basis should Onuachu be the second main striker to Osimhen, the guy is just too clumsy and it's obvious we don't play to his style.

I have Moffi rated higher than Awoniyi.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx