Cybereagles has an obligation to review that goal 10 times

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Cybereagles has an obligation to review that goal 10 times

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:45 am
iworo wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:47 pm
World Cup 2014: Ethiopia 1-2 Nigeria
By Piers Edwards
BBC Sport
Last updated on 13 October 2013

Nigeria survived a scare in Addis Ababa as the African champions rallied to beat Ethiopia 2-1 in the opening leg of their World Cup play-off.

The hosts were the superior team for the first hour and led after 56 minutes as Nigerian goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama misjudged a cross from Behailu Assefa.

Nigeria, who were not at their best, equalised through Emmanuel Emenike's ferocious drive after 67 minutes.

Emenike then won and scored a penalty late on to secure the win.

The match was in the 90th minute when Aynalem Hailu needlessly brought the Nigerian down, allowing the Turkey-based striker to coolly slot home a decisive goal.

"Ethiopia's play scared us in the first half but we showed why we are the African champions in the second half - that's what makes the difference," assistant coach Daniel Amokachi told BBC Sport.

Bidding to qualify for their fifth World Cup in six attempts, Stephen Keshi's side grew stronger as the game wore on and could have led after 77 minutes as Ahmed Musa thumped a close-range strike against the inside of the post.

Defeat was cruel on Ethiopia coach Sewnet Bishaw, who impressed with their technical play but lacked a cutting edge in the final third.

Trying to become the first East African nation to appear at a World Cup, the Walya Antelopes thought they had opened the scoring after 24 minutes through Saladin Said.

The forward controlled a long diagonal ball well and managed to beat Enyeama only to see Gofrey Oboabona clear off the line, with many inside a packed Addis Ababa Stadium - Said included - believing a goal had been scored.

When Ethiopia did make the breakthrough it came in similar style as Enyeama was slow to react to a left-wing cross from Assefa, leaving himself badly positioned as he caught the ball behind the line.

The visitors, for whom Nnamdi Oduamadi had missed a good chance in the first half, had an early opportunity to draw level only for some smart goalkeeping from Jemal Tassew to deny Victor Moses.

The Super Eagles did not have to wait long for their equaliser, however, as Emenike took possession 30 yards out before drifting forward and rifling home a blistering strike.

The goal took the wind out of the hosts's sails and they were fortunate to survive when Musa got behind the defence and hit the post with Tassew beaten.

Ethiopia substitute Addis Hintsa missed two presentable chances in the dying minutes, as the match looked set to end in a draw.

While that may have been a fairer reflection on the game, Emenike had other ideas, piling into the box and forcing a rash challenge from Hailu, who clearly tugged the Nigerian's arm.

Emenike's second goal of the game completed a smash-and-grab win and ensured that Nigeria are favourites to progress to their second straight World Cup when the two sides meet again in Calabar on 16 November.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/24513902
Thanks for this.
I remember the game very well, and the return leg which got us qualification for the WC 2014. Both games were very difficult. Keshi stated after, “the boys were nervous”.

This is the game thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=240611&hilit=Ethiopia&start=759
Game ended on p35 and the typical Naija ‘analysis’ starts from there.

Notice how - quite predictably - Nigerians criticized Keshi and the team for “playing poorly”.
Funny thing is, many of those that defended him then are the ones beefing Rohr for the very same thing after securing an even better away result vs CV.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Also that Ethiopian team was better than this CV team actually took the game to us with high pressure and we also had issues with the altitude, I remember a tireless runner like Onazi slumped over after 10 or so minutes. I think they had gotten results/wins against other teams in our group at home thanks to their altitude advantage.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:22 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:45 am
iworo wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:47 pm
World Cup 2014: Ethiopia 1-2 Nigeria
By Piers Edwards
BBC Sport
Last updated on 13 October 2013

Nigeria survived a scare in Addis Ababa as the African champions rallied to beat Ethiopia 2-1 in the opening leg of their World Cup play-off.

The hosts were the superior team for the first hour and led after 56 minutes as Nigerian goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama misjudged a cross from Behailu Assefa.

Nigeria, who were not at their best, equalised through Emmanuel Emenike's ferocious drive after 67 minutes.

Emenike then won and scored a penalty late on to secure the win.

The match was in the 90th minute when Aynalem Hailu needlessly brought the Nigerian down, allowing the Turkey-based striker to coolly slot home a decisive goal.

"Ethiopia's play scared us in the first half but we showed why we are the African champions in the second half - that's what makes the difference," assistant coach Daniel Amokachi told BBC Sport.

Bidding to qualify for their fifth World Cup in six attempts, Stephen Keshi's side grew stronger as the game wore on and could have led after 77 minutes as Ahmed Musa thumped a close-range strike against the inside of the post.

Defeat was cruel on Ethiopia coach Sewnet Bishaw, who impressed with their technical play but lacked a cutting edge in the final third.

Trying to become the first East African nation to appear at a World Cup, the Walya Antelopes thought they had opened the scoring after 24 minutes through Saladin Said.

The forward controlled a long diagonal ball well and managed to beat Enyeama only to see Gofrey Oboabona clear off the line, with many inside a packed Addis Ababa Stadium - Said included - believing a goal had been scored.

When Ethiopia did make the breakthrough it came in similar style as Enyeama was slow to react to a left-wing cross from Assefa, leaving himself badly positioned as he caught the ball behind the line.

The visitors, for whom Nnamdi Oduamadi had missed a good chance in the first half, had an early opportunity to draw level only for some smart goalkeeping from Jemal Tassew to deny Victor Moses.

The Super Eagles did not have to wait long for their equaliser, however, as Emenike took possession 30 yards out before drifting forward and rifling home a blistering strike.

The goal took the wind out of the hosts's sails and they were fortunate to survive when Musa got behind the defence and hit the post with Tassew beaten.

Ethiopia substitute Addis Hintsa missed two presentable chances in the dying minutes, as the match looked set to end in a draw.

While that may have been a fairer reflection on the game, Emenike had other ideas, piling into the box and forcing a rash challenge from Hailu, who clearly tugged the Nigerian's arm.

Emenike's second goal of the game completed a smash-and-grab win and ensured that Nigeria are favourites to progress to their second straight World Cup when the two sides meet again in Calabar on 16 November.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/24513902
Thanks for this.
I remember the game very well, and the return leg which got us qualification for the WC 2014. Both games were very difficult. Keshi stated after, “the boys were nervous”.

This is the game thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=240611&hilit=Ethiopia&start=759
Game ended on p35 and the typical Naija ‘analysis’ starts from there.

Notice how - quite predictably - Nigerians criticized Keshi and the team for “playing poorly”.
Funny thing is, many of those that defended him then are the ones beefing Rohr for the very same thing after securing an even better away result vs CV.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Also that Ethiopian team was better than this CV team actually took the game to us with high pressure and we also had issues with the altitude, I remember a tireless runner like Onazi slumped over after 10 or so minutes. I think they had gotten results/wins against other teams in our group at home thanks to their altitude advantage.
if memory serves me right, was this not the game we arrived late and didn't acclimatize to the high altitude?
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:12 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:07 am
Tobi17 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:53 pm Reminds me of one of our away qualifier games to Ethiopia under Keshi...Not sure if it was for Afcon or the WC, but I do recall how we were really outplayed by the Ethiopians in Addis Ababa, the Ethiopians had a legit claim to a goal that crossed the line and wrongly ruled off... The ball crossed the goal line by just margins; thanks to some acrobatic defending by Oboabona I believe who cleared it.

But yeah, this one was definitely a goal, ball had already crossed the goal line mid air before it even landed or kicked away by the CV Goal keeper, very weird goal nonetheless.
In that game, Enyeama with all his experience seriously misjudged the flight of the ball and the rest is history. Being beaten at your near post is not as criminal as losing your GPS as a GK.
BUT THESE THINGS HAPPEN TO THE VERY BEST.

I don’t seem to remember the Oboabona clearance though.
We also never got a conclusive video showing that ball had actually crossed the line…
I think those were the days just prior to goal line technology and there were probably not enough cameras strategically placed around the stadium to give us a good angle.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

No and no...this was the first leg of the playoffs. We won both legs and qualified to Brazil..Ghana also destroyed Egypt 6 goals to 1 in another playoff. Also that wasn't a goal. The entire ball has to cross the line. Enyeama was cheated there
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:53 pm Reminds me of one of our away qualifier games to Ethiopia under Keshi...Not sure if it was for Afcon or the WC, but I do recall how we were really outplayed by the Ethiopians in Addis Ababa, the Ethiopians had a legit claim to a goal that crossed the line and wrongly ruled off... The ball crossed the goal line by just margins; thanks to some acrobatic defending by Oboabona I believe who cleared it.

But yeah, this one was definitely a goal, ball had already crossed the goal line mid air before it even landed or kicked away by the CV Goal keeper, very weird goal nonetheless.
In that game, Enyeama with all his experience seriously misjudged the flight of the ball and the rest is history. Being beaten at your near post is not as criminal as losing your GPS as a GK.

We also never got a conclusive video showing that ball had actually crossed the line…
Nah it did, every unbiased mind knows that ball crossed the line... even VAR in all its inconsistencies wouldn't have missed that, truth is we were very lucky to have earned that 3 pts in Ethiopia considering how we were comprehensively outplayed.

I don't mind people questioning Rohrs football including me who has been his biggest critic, but hindsight is always the best perspective to keep reality in check... truth is, when last have we ever played really entertaining brand of football especially in crucial away games? even our '94 golden generation struggled against minnows (the facts are there).
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Tobi17 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:16 pm

Nah it did, every unbiased mind knows that ball crossed the line... even VAR in all its inconsistencies wouldn't have missed that, truth is we were very lucky to have earned that 3 pts in Ethiopia considering how we were comprehensively outplayed.

I don't mind people questioning Rohrs football including me who has been his biggest critic, but hindsight is always the best perspective to keep reality in check... truth is, when last have we ever played really entertaining brand of football especially in crucial away games? even our '94 golden generation struggled against minnows (the facts are there).
what 3 points? this was a knockout fixture? we won on AGG 4-1

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:28 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:16 pm

what 3 points? this was a knockout fixture? we won on AGG 4-1

After struggling away in Addis Ababa where we got lucky?
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:09 pm [1] Shame on this site that it has not reviewed that goal in unprecedented detail
[2] How do we know for certain if the ball crossed the line or not?
[3] With all the IT gurus we have here, the matter should have been analysed in every minute detail
[4] It was not until recently that that England 1966 goal saga was cleared up. Surely, we will not be that bad
[5] There is now a device in the ball which tells the referee if it crosses the line or not. Has CE asked Fifa for details?
[6] We are slacking big time by not producing Youtube videos of the goal using modern technology to show if it crossed the line or not
[7] What if Cape Verde come out tomorrow to dispute the goal?
[8] Can the CE admins, please produce 10 clips of that goal today
[9] We are just as bad as out rulers. In everything in life, the devil is in the detail. CE has no right to proclaim itself a Nigerian football website if it has not analysed that goal in detail
[10] Personally, I am not convinced the ball crossed the line until I see the evidence!
I will not be surprised you are not convinced the ball crossed the line. With your crossed eyes who will doubt you?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I am yet to see the use of goal line technology to confirm either goal. For me, they both remain unconfirmed!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:09 pm [1] Shame on this site that it has not reviewed that goal in unprecedented detail
[2] How do we know for certain if the ball crossed the line or not?
[3] With all the IT gurus we have here, the matter should have been analysed in every minute detail
[4] It was not until recently that that England 1966 goal saga was cleared up. Surely, we will not be that bad
[5] There is now a device in the ball which tells the referee if it crosses the line or not. Has CE asked Fifa for details?
[6] We are slacking big time by not producing Youtube videos of the goal using modern technology to show if it crossed the line or not
[7] What if Cape Verde come out tomorrow to dispute the goal?
[8] Can the CE admins, please produce 10 clips of that goal today
[9] We are just as bad as out rulers. In everything in life, the devil is in the detail. CE has no right to proclaim itself a Nigerian football website if it has not analysed that goal in detail
[10] Personally, I am not convinced the ball crossed the line until I see the evidence!
...the rest of the world use VAR except your poor African. Why?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

I thought Osimhen would just smash the ball in to make sure, but hey we respect the refs decision except Ayo of course who will soon be petitioning :)
Super Eagus 4 Life!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

VAR is needed badly at Afcon.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:08 pm I thought Osimhen would just smash the ball in to make sure, but hey we respect the refs decision except Ayo of course who will soon be petitioning :)
On 2021, who else just "respects the refs decision?"
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

ohenhen1 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:35 pm VAR is needed badly at Afcon.
Well in this case goal line technology…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

akamoke wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:25 am That was a goal to me, if it was a Nigerian player that made that bone headed back pass, we would have chastised him more than seeking request for the legitimacy of the goal
Your head dey here my brother. I admit having an agenda is not my thing as I enjoy the game for what it is but I swear it is fun watching guys with an agenda doing their thing. This thread funny die :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger