GARBA LAWAL: "Don't Turn Super Eagles Into Dumping Ground....."

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
GARBA LAWAL: "Don't Turn Super Eagles Into Dumping Ground....."

Post by Enugu II »

Don’t Turn Eagles To Dumping Ground – Lawal
http://www.thetidenewsonline.com/2021/0 ... und-lawal/
Published 2 days agoon September 13, 2021 By The Tide

Ex-Nigeria international, GarbaLawal, has warned against turning the country’s men and women’s national teams into dumping grounds for footballers not good enough to represent the country.

Tidesportsdource gathered that there’s been an influx of players of Nigerian descent born abroad in both the Super Eagles and Super Falcons in recent times, with their decision to choose Nigeria largely seen as a last resort after failing to earn a place in the countries of their birth.

Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has not hidden his liking for Nigerian players born abroad ahead of talents in the domestic league, bringing in the likes of Tyrone Ebuehi, Kevin Akpoguma, Ola Aina, Joe Aribo, Cyriel Dessers, MadukaOkoye and Semi Ajayi, who are all born to Nigerian parents abroad into the national team.

The coach has also watched helplessly as the likes of Arsenal winger BukayoSaka, Roma striker Tammy Abraham and AC Milan defender, FikayoTomori, committed their international future to England despite interest from Nigeria, while exciting forward, KarimAkinyemi, amongst others opted for Germany.

Genk forward, Ike Ugbo, on Tuesday revealed his intention to play for Nigeria at senior level, having represented England at U-17 and U-20 levels, stating that he’ll have greater success at making the Eagles than the Three Lions.

However, Lawal warned against turning the country’s national team to a dumping site.
“Any player that’s not good to play for England or Germany is not good enough for the Super Eagles,” Lawal said.
“If they feel that the England national team is too big for them, then they are not good for us. I’m not kicking against Nigerian players born abroad coming to play for us but we have to take only the best and not just any player.”
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Re: GARBA LAWAL: "Don't Turn Super Eagles Into Dumping Ground....."

Post by Otitokoro »

This buffoon really needs to be quiet. I mean, who exactly is the 'any player' he is referring to?
Was he himself good enough to make the national teams he listed in his time, if one was being honest? Was he ever considered a top African player when he featured for Nigeria? I mean, if not for the Nigerian quota system, would he have ever made the SE? For me, he definitely was one of the poorest and one of the least intelligent midfielders to don the GWG jersey.
We really need to stop giving these blathering illiterates a platform to spew their biased and discriminatory comments and making people like himself feel like they are relevant in this day and age. What a dullard!
Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:01 am

Ex-Nigeria international, GarbaLawal, has warned against turning the country’s men and women’s national teams into dumping grounds for footballers not good enough to represent the country.

Tidesportsdource gathered that there’s been an influx of players of Nigerian descent born abroad in both the Super Eagles and Super Falcons in recent times, with their decision to choose Nigeria largely seen as a last resort after failing to earn a place in the countries of their birth.

Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has not hidden his liking for Nigerian players born abroad ahead of talents in the domestic league, bringing in the likes of Tyrone Ebuehi, Kevin Akpoguma, Ola Aina, Joe Aribo, Cyriel Dessers, Maduka Okoye and Semi Ajayi, who are all born to Nigerian parents abroad into the national team.

The coach has also watched helplessly as the likes of Arsenal winger BukayoSaka, Roma striker Tammy Abraham and AC Milan defender, FikayoTomori, committed their international future to England despite interest from Nigeria, while exciting forward, KarimAkinyemi, amongst others opted for Germany.

Genk forward, Ike Ugbo, on Tuesday revealed his intention to play for Nigeria at senior level, having represented England at U-17 and U-20 levels, stating that he’ll have greater success at making the Eagles than the Three Lions.

However, Lawal warned against turning the country’s national team to a dumping site.
“Any player that’s not good to play for England or Germany is not good enough for the Super Eagles,” Lawal said.
“If they feel that the England national team is too big for them, then they are not good for us.
I’m not kicking against Nigerian players born abroad coming to play for us but we have to take only the best and not just any player.”
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

what kind of yeye talk dey comot from your mouth otikoro? seriously? Lawal did all the dirty work when he played for the SE, probably your eyes had zero clue what players like lawal brought to teams..FYI Lawal and Musa have more worldcup goals than the likes of Kanu, Okocha etc combined... stop with these quota system crap as well as the disrespect of northern players. What Lawal wrote is 100% correct
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Quota system is the biggest myth in Nigerian football.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Otitokoro wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:10 am This buffoon really needs to be quiet. I mean, who exactly is the 'any player' he is referring to?
Was he himself good enough to make the national teams he listed in his time, if one was being honest? Was he ever considered a top African player when he featured for Nigeria? I mean, if not for the Nigerian quota system, would he have ever made the SE? For me, he definitely was one of the poorest and one of the least intelligent midfielders to don the GWG jersey.
We really need to stop giving these blathering illiterates a platform to spew their biased and discriminatory comments and making people like himself feel like they are relevant in this day and age. What a dullard!
It would be nice if you provide a rebuttal to the points raised by Garba Lawal not insults!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has not hidden his liking for Nigerian players born abroad ahead of talents in the domestic league, bringing in the likes of Tyrone Ebuehi, Kevin Akpoguma, Ola Aina, Joe Aribo, Cyriel Dessers, MadukaOkoye and Semi Ajayi, who are all born to Nigerian parents abroad into the national team.

“If they feel that the England national team is too big for them, then they are not good for us. I’m not kicking against Nigerian players born abroad coming to play for us but we have to take only the best and not just any player.”

Please let this guy be jare :) . He's got to be relevant now in order to get a job from the Football Federation :winking: . At least he's consistent, because he has always been a critic of every Super Eagles coach...from Keshi to Oliseh to Rohr.

Sample:
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/11/eag ... -off-rohr/
https://guardian.ng/sport/whoever-olise ... ays-lawal/
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/why ... rba-lawal/
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

Playing Lawal as a left winger, allowed the Super Eagles MF to have an extra defensive MF in defense mood. At Atlanta Olympics, Lawal played as a defensive Midfielder.
Whatever Lawal lacked in flasheness or talent, he made it up in terms of dedication, and hardwork on the pitch..
afc##
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Are these not "any player" enough?
He has valid points!
Otitokoro wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:10 am This buffoon really needs to be quiet. I mean, who exactly is the 'any player' he is referring to?

Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has not hidden his liking for Nigerian players born abroad ahead of talents in the domestic league, bringing in the likes of Tyrone Ebuehi, Kevin Akpoguma, Ola Aina, Joe Aribo, Cyriel Dessers, Maduka Okoye and Semi Ajayi, who are all born to Nigerian parents abroad into the national team.

“If they feel that the England national team is too big for them, then they are not good for us.
I’m not kicking against Nigerian players born abroad coming to play for us but we have to take only the best and not just any player.”
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

What's there to rebut? He refused to 'man up' and name names.
He made a general statement meant as a dig at foreign born players. I made a statement that is factually driven (review the salient questions I asked).
Anyone who feels I was wrong in my comments can kindly provide evidence to the contrary.
fabio wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:35 pm
It would be nice if you provide a rebuttal to the points raised by Garba Lawal not insults!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

His advice to Ejuke (Courtesy 'Owngoal')...
Ejuke has played three senior games for the senior national team of Nigeria and showed how potent he can be in the offensive third with strong dribbling runs leaving defenders for dead.

He is however yet to score or provide any assist with just one shot on target to his name and it came in the game against Cape Verde in the recent 2022 World Cup qualifiers. Lawal believe he can obviously do more.

Presently he is behind Moses Simon , Samuel Kalu, Samuel Chukwueze and Alex Iwobi in the Super Eagles options on the wings but Lawal says with some little adjustments he can claim a permanent spot in the team.

“ I see him as a bag of potential and he will explode soon if he adjust some areas in his game. He need to shot more and dribble less particularly when he is close to goal. Defending might not be his strength but he still need to add it to his game”, Lawal told OwnGoalNigeria.com.
The underlined is a false statement - Ejuke had two great shots brilliantly parried by the Cape Verde keeper. He arguably had the most shots on goal of the SE strike force in that match. He complimented his dribbling with brilliant passing, opening up the defense and taking shots. He defended very well - arguably better than Moses Simon on the right flank. Yet, just to pretend to be relevant, Garba had to come up with something negative about Ejuke's play.

However, he conveniently opted to remain silent on the extremely poor performance of Ahmed Musa, who was way off key in that match. I wonder why?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Unfortunately for those, including yours truly and Garba Lawal, who think there is a visible crack in the SuperEagles’ armor, it is hard to make a strong and serious case when the team has performed and is performing relatively well. Until Rohr falls flat on his touche, it will be difficult to appreciate what the likes of Garba Lawal are saying❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:13 pm Unfortunately for those, including yours truly and Garba Lawal, who think there is a visible crack in the SuperEagles’ armor, it is hard to make a strong and serious case when the team has performed and is performing relatively well. Until Rohr falls flat on his touche, it will be difficult to appreciate what the likes of Garba Lawal are saying❗️

Cheers.
At least you are honest enough to make a fair assessment, unlike far too many here.
They can’t even celebrate a simple SE victory becos they’ve got so much beef going on.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

Well said!

Whatever political motivation (if any) he's being accused of does not negate from his service in the GWG; always gave his all and played in multiple positions under several coaches.

If Emma Babayaro can give his opinion on the Supa Eagus, then so can Garba Lawal......he's more than earned the right to be taken seriously....
chuks69 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:23 pm Playing Lawal as a left winger, allowed the Super Eagles MF to have an extra defensive MF in defense mood. At Atlanta Olympics, Lawal played as a defensive Midfielder.
Whatever Lawal lacked in flasheness or talent, he made it up in terms of dedication, and hardwork on the pitch..
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Well he’s got a point,I recall CE fans saying that it’s ok if a player waits to play for England but fails and then wants to play for Nigeria,I also remember the fantasy teams featuring Eze and Abraham (before his intentions were known) etc.The truth is Nigerian fans and officials think British is best,the team is hardly picked for technical or tactical reasons anyway just as long as they don’t play in Nigeria they’ll stand a chance!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

i guess Zaidu Sanusi is also a quota system since he was born in Kebbi 😒😒😒
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:24 pm i guess Zaidu Sanusi is also a quota system since he was born in Kebbi 😒😒😒
At least you make sensible contributions sometimes. Keep it up. :thumb:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:24 pm i guess Zaidu Sanusi is also a quota system since he was born in Kebbi 😒😒😒
Don't forget to add that... He was an illiterate rice farmer in Kebbi, who could only speak Hausa.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

tedder89 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 pm Well said!

Whatever political motivation (if any) he's being accused of does not negate from his service in the GWG; always gave his all and played in multiple positions under several coaches.

If Emma Babayaro can give his opinion on the Supa Eagus, then so can Garba Lawal......he's more than earned the right to be taken seriously....
chuks69 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:23 pm Playing Lawal as a left winger, allowed the Super Eagles MF to have an extra defensive MF in defense mood. At Atlanta Olympics, Lawal played as a defensive Midfielder.
Thank you and Chuks. Lawal was not flashy, but worked really hard and played whatever position needed, did the dirty job and carried the water, while contributing the odd vital goal here and there. I remember him being deputized to neutralized Geremi in one game when we finally got the better of Cameroon. In the 2000's, his lone goal won us one of our standard "ANC golden bronze" medals. Ditto one game where Ghana was doing strong head (I watched with Schillachi and the late Solowe in a bar).
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."