PETER RUFAI: Give SE Goalkeepers Equal Opportunities.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
PETER RUFAI: Give SE Goalkeepers Equal Opportunities.....

Post by Enugu II »

Rufai Calls For More Competition Among Super Eagles Goalkeepers
By Emeka Dennar - September 15, 2021
https://www.busybuddiesng.com/rufai-cal ... pers-audio

Former Nigeria captain and shotstopper Peter Rufai has called on Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr to create more competition for the goalkeepers in the team by giving them equal opportunities.

Since former Burkina Faso and Gabon coach Rohr took over the Super Eagles in 2016, the likes of Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Daniel Akpeyi, Francis Uzoho and Maduka Okoye have held the Eagles No. 1 spot, in the search for a permanent solution to the goalkeeping problem that has plagued the team following the retirement of Carl Ikeme due to illness.

Though Rohr has chosen Sparta Rotterdam goalkeeper Okoye as his first choice, the legendary Rufai, who was in goal for Nigeria at the 1994 and 1998 World Cups, believe giving the other keepers enough playing time will bring the best out of them.

The 58-year-old Rufai, who made 65 appearances for Nigeria, also suggested a system be put in place in the team specifically for ‘managing goalkeepers only’.

“Actually, as a matter of fact, the goalkeeping department needs to have competition,” the former Deportivo La Coruna goalkeeper said on Lagos Talks recently. “The goalkeepers need to have competition.

“And the coach or whoever needs to let each of these goalkeepers have playing time. So, by the time they have playing time, each goalkeeper will know that any of them could come on board.

“So, my take will be for Nigeria to set up a system of managing – a team that will be managing goalkeepers only.

An AFCON winner with the Super Eagles in 1994, Rufai has offered to create a ‘blueprint’ that will develop goalkeeping in the Super Eagles and the country at large.

“To me, what I’m looking at, I want to come up with a blueprint plan of how goalkeeping can be developed in Nigeria and for the Super Eagles,” he said.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: PETER RUFAI: Give SE Goalkeepers Equal Opportunities.....

Post by Cmoke »

We currently have two good young goalkeepers and an ok veteran
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Rufai is not making sense. Which goalie deserves a chance that's not getting one?
OCCUPY NFF!!
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Okoye and Uzoho are our best two keepers, while Akpeyi earned the #3 spot cause of his consistency at club level. Rohr, however, needs to invite Adebayo Adeleye, who is based in Israel. Also many believe Noble and Ezenwa are not the best goalies in the NPFL.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

We currently have one goalkeeper and two young ok ones.
Cmoke wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:16 pm We currently have two good young goalkeepers and an ok veteran
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cmoke wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:16 pm We currently have two good young goalkeepers and an ok veteran
None of our goalkeepers is really that good. In fact, the veteran seems far more assured than the two up and coming lads at the moment.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

1naija wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:01 pm We currently have one goalkeeper and two young ok ones.
Let me guess. To you uncle 1Naija, the one goalkeeper we have is 'Akpeyi', right? 🙂 🙂
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle, why are you guessing what you know deep deep down inside is true?
Odas wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:07 pm
1naija wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:01 pm We currently have one goalkeeper and two young ok ones.
Let me guess. To you uncle 1Naija, the one goalkeeper we have is 'Akpeyi', right? 🙂 🙂
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

In truth, neither Uzoho or Okoye have done enough to convince as #1. Allowing Okoye to keep all through may hurt the chances of the other keepers( I hope club pedigree is not a factor). But, maybe he earns the starts in training.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Each of these keepers are roughly conceding a goal per game. That is notable and a far cry from the days of Enyeama. The errors are also quite notable. The bittomline is that none of them is topnotch. If the idea is to focus on Okoye, we must face up to his errors because they may decide a critical game soon enough. He is yet to be the difference maker that makes Nigeria win a game. He is no Enyeama. Take that to the bank. We can only hope and pray because Rohr has chosen that Okote is it come rain or shine.