Nigeria 2 vs South Africa 4

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 2 vs South Africa 3 Live !!!

Post by Enugu II »

Oguleftie wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:10 pm That is what I am saying: they say I play for this & that overseas; all that is crap, it is who has the better ability to play not where you play.
:clap:
LOL. There are some that believe as long as you are in Europe you are better. As long as you are in this or that league you are better. We have the expatriate coach. South Africa had what? Wow! If the answer is that easy that expatriateness and playing in Europe is it then why even play the game since answers are on piece of paper.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:52 pm
Oguleftie wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:10 pm That is what I am saying: they say I play for this & that overseas; all that is crap, it is who has the better ability to play not where you play.
LOL. There are some that believe as long as you are in Europe you are better. As long as you are in this or that league you are better. We have the expatriate coach. South Africa had what? Wow! If the answer is that easy that expatriateness and playing in Europe is it then why even play the game since answers are on piece of paper.
In women's football it's clear that is not the case. Players from the NWFL are walking straight into top European leagues regularly unlike what happens with NPFL players. South Africa, too has their own complement of foreign based players. Infact Banyana has more foreign based players than Bafana. E.g. Kgatlana plays for Atletico Madrid & Jane plays for AC Milan. I watched Rivers Angels in the CAF Women's Champions League and i saw some highly talented players especially Maryann Ezenagu, a winger who scored 7 goals in the 4 games played. I have no idea why only Vivian Ikechukwu was called up, as Maryann is a very dynamic player with excellent dribbling skills. I'm sure there's also great talents in FC Robo, Bayelsa Queens, Edo Queens (they produced Glory Ogbonna that just recently left for Sweden). Also in the recent games - the Turkey/USA tourneys, Toni Payne & Rasheedat Ajibade have clearly been our best and most creative players. Our offensive plays always went through them. Another confusing point is why Alozie continues to play right back when she's an attacking midfielder/winger in her club. For me, if i were the coach, no way Oparanozie, Ordega, Okobi, Chikwelu will start. They might not even make the squad. I will keep Oshoala but will play her through the middle as top 9 like in Barcelona. I will get most of the Turkey/USA squads (in Turkey, there was no Oparanozie,Okobi etc but they thrashed Equatorial Guinea 9nil) and fill the gaps with the top NWFL players (mind you there were 10 NWFL players at the US series). I believe we still have more than enough to rule Africa still but not with Oparanozie, Ordega, Okobi, Chikwelu as their best days are now behind them.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Adisboy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:48 am
In women's football it's clear that is not the case. Players from the NWFL are walking straight into top European leagues regularly unlike what happens with NPFL players. South Africa, too has their own complement of foreign based players. Infact Banyana has more foreign based players than Bafana. E.g. Kgatlana plays for Atletico Madrid & Jane plays for AC Milan. I watched Rivers Angels in the CAF Women's Champions League and i saw some highly talented players especially Maryann Ezenagu, a winger who scored 7 goals in the 4 games played. I have no idea why only Vivian Ikechukwu was called up, as Maryann is a very dynamic player with excellent dribbling skills. I'm sure there's also great talents in FC Robo, Bayelsa Queens, Edo Queens (they produced Glory Ogbonna that just recently left for Sweden). Also in the recent games - the Turkey/USA tourneys, Toni Payne & Rasheedat Ajibade have clearly been our best and most creative players. Our offensive plays always went through them. Another confusing point is why Alozie continues to play right back when she's an attacking midfielder/winger in her club. For me, if i were the coach, no way Oparanozie, Ordega, Okobi, Chikwelu will start. They might not even make the squad. I will keep Oshoala but will play her through the middle as top 9 like in Barcelona. I will get most of the Turkey/USA squads (in Turkey, there was no Oparanozie,Okobi etc but they thrashed Equatorial Guinea 9nil) and fill the gaps with the top NWFL players (mind you there were 10 NWFL players at the US series). I believe we still have more than enough to rule Africa still but not with Oparanozie, Ordega, Okobi, Chikwelu as their best days are now behind them.
you love mediocrity sha .kai
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:23 pm
you love mediocrity sha .kai
I'm confused, are you saying our NWFL players are mediocre?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Here is the thing -- how come the poorly trained Nigerian player vaults to starting position in European clubs ahead of European players trained in E I ropean academies for years? What explains that?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 2 vs South Africa 4

Post by Enugu II »

In my view, however, I really hate to use a result like this to give a verdict about football in Nigeria or elsewhere. In reality, a pattern of results is far more explanatory than a one-off scenario. However, given multiple results of games played by Nigeria both in men and women categories it is difficult to claim superiority of an Euro-based manager or an Euro-bred player.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Nigeria 0 vs South Africa 3 Live !!!

Post by mcal »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:55 pm No offense INTENDED, patriotism aside... who actually cares about a tournament like this?
...women care, football lovers care, money gobblers care, the NFA cares plenty na money for pocket.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

The Falcons have definitely lost their mojo in African football❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:49 pm
Here is the thing -- how come the poorly trained Nigerian player vaults to starting position in European clubs ahead of European players trained in E I ropean academies for years? What explains that?
That does not happen. I'll give you want you want to know.
I watch & follow women football closely at all its facets.
People can say so, so & so plays "there" and they do not watch "there" teams games; and I mean games wth an "s". Wherever their teams are I watch the teams, and know if they even kicked the ball.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

CREDIT WHERE IT'S DUE

As one who seeks progress in the country and does not hold back when things fall short, I feel I must comment on the quality of the stadium: IT LOOKS GREAT. Why hasn't anyone else brought this up? I only hope what we see on the outside matches what's inside. There should be more like this all over the country and it could be used for matches where a large crowd is not anticipated.
Bell
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Oguleftie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:01 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:49 pm
That does not happen. I'll give you want you want to know.
I watch & follow women football closely at all its facets.
People can say so, so & so plays "there" and they do not watch "there" teams games; and I mean games wth an "s". Wherever their teams are I watch the teams, and know if they even kicked the ball.
Oguleftie,

Actually, you are wrong on this.

The girls who came to the NWSL were starting. This is the American experience and art is similar to what also obtains in Europe. Moreover, studies done here show that these teams select players who are often better than those they already have and would start. Why waste funds on getting a foreign player to simply sit on the bench? There are numerous studies on this that I am surprised you think otherwise. Why would a European or American club invest on a player simply to have the player sit on the bench? There are numerous local talents that can sit on the bench. It makes little economic or developmental sense.

You are only possibly thinking of players who eventually fell out of favor. However, when they are signed initially they have to be good enough and better than the local girls. That is the bottomline for most of the clubs in Europe.

This, BTW, does not only apply to women footballers. Most NPFL players who go to Europe and fail trial have similar experience. It does not often mean that those players are not good enough to make the squad. The fact is why should a European club sign an NPFL player who cannot make the starting team? They will rather have locals on the bench. For an NPFL player, he must show the potential to start (right away or in the near future) or else there is no use for him.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Prof, you do realize that most of these Nigerian women players typically move from the NWFL to low level European clubs, before making the jump to the bigger teams in Europe? I mean, Ajibade started off in Norway with Avaldnes before Ath. Madrid. Rita Chikwelu started off with FC United in Finland. Ordega from Rivers Angels to Rossiyanka. Oparanozie from Delta Queens to Luleburgaz 39 Spor. Oshoala was perhaps the only one that moved from FC Robo to Liverpool, on account of her Golden ball performance at the U20s.
So, the notion that they typically walked into European clubs starting lineup from the NWFL needs to be looked at from the perspective of the calibre of those European clubs. Often times, those clubs are 2nd or 3rd division clubs and it stands to reason that they will start in such clubs.
Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:49 pm Here is the thing -- how come the poorly trained Nigerian player vaults to starting position in European clubs ahead of European players trained in E I ropean academies for years? What explains that?
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Meanwhile Oshoala yesterday put up a POTM performance to destroy her former club Arsenal in their opening Champions League game. She was involved in 3 of Barcelona's 4 goals yesterday - her shot saved into the path of her teammate for the 1st, brilliant assist for the 2nd and top finish to make it 3 nil. Barcelona won 4-1.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro,

You are introducing another debate all together. I am focusing on European clubs in general and not debating on the perception of the club as top cadre or not. The point is that these European clubs will not sign any of these players if they do not believe the player is heads and shoulders above the local talent. That much is all researchers and documented. None of these girls are signed to be on the bench.

Mere logic should tell us that no European club will make such a signing when they have local players that are being developed at the academy level. Why should they sign a foreign player to be just in the reserves? It makes no sense. If a foreign player is signed to be in the reserves, how do you explain that to the academy program?

Otitokoro wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:31 pm Prof, you do realize that most of these Nigerian women players typically move from the NWFL to low level European clubs, before making the jump to the bigger teams in Europe? I mean, Ajibade started off in Norway with Avaldnes before Ath. Madrid. Rita Chikwelu started off with FC United in Finland. Ordega from Rivers Angels to Rossiyanka. Oparanozie from Delta Queens to Luleburgaz 39 Spor. Oshoala was perhaps the only one that moved from FC Robo to Liverpool, on account of her Golden ball performance at the U20s.
So, the notion that they typically walked into European clubs starting lineup from the NWFL needs to be looked at from the perspective of the calibre of those European clubs. Often times, those clubs are 2nd or 3rd division clubs and it stands to reason that they will start in such clubs.
Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:49 pm Here is the thing -- how come the poorly trained Nigerian player vaults to starting position in European clubs ahead of European players trained in E I ropean academies for years? What explains that?