NFF, Ex-Players Call for OverHauling of Super Falcons

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
NFF, Ex-Players Call for OverHauling of Super Falcons

Post by Enugu II »

Falcons needs overhauling – Ex-players, NFF
https://punchng.com/falcons-needs-overh ... ayers-nff/

Johnny Edward
26 September 2021

FOLLOWING the Super Falcons embarrassing 4-2 defeat to South Africa at the recently concluded Aisha Buhari Invitational tournament, former players of the team have unanimously agreed that the team needs an overhaul.

Two penalties and an own goal by defender Michelle Alozie handed the Banyana Banyana a famous win in the final played at the Mobolaji Johnson Arena, Lagos on Tuesday.

Speaking with SUNDAY PUNCH, Stella Mbachu who starred for the Falcons from 1999 to 2014 and won six Africa Women Cup of Nations titles with the team said Randy Waldrum’s team lacked fitness and were out of sort in the finals.

“That was not a good game, it was obvious the Falcons were not in their right frame of mind,” she told SUNDAY PUNCH.

“The game was a bad one that is not the team I know. The entire team didn’t play well.

“They need to put this behind them and work harder to perform better during the Africa Women’s Qualifiers.

“They need to overhaul the team and reassemble a new team. The Falcons need to be worked on. They lacked fitness as a coach in my own opinion and that was why the South Africans out ran them.

On Waldrum’s tactics, she said,”I don’t know his pattern since he arrived maybe he needs more time with the team. He needs to study the players more particularly those playing in the Nigeria Women Football League.

The Nigerian Football Federation President Amaju Pinnick also agreed that the Falcons needs a rejig as the defeat to South Africa exposed the weakness of the team.

“We are all disappointed by the performance of the Super Falcons, especially on a day we claim to be celebrating the Girl Child,” he said.

“The whole essence of this competition for us as NFF has been achieved. We have a qualifier against Ghana in the next few weeks so we needed these matches to test the readiness of our players for the task ahead.

“The Banyana Banyana team has exposed the weaknesses in our team. They came to Lagos with so many young players and gave our girls some football lessons on the day.

“For me, the lesson here is that, we need to inject more players from the NWFL into the team. As you can see, the outstanding players in Nigeria’s two matches against Mali and South Africa are home based players and that is the more reason why we must invest more in the Nigeria women’s football league to expose more of these hidden talents.”

Technical Director of the Nigeria Football Federation, Austin Eguavoen, also agreed on the overhaul but added it must be gradual.

“The whole crowd was shocked with the result. They are not playing well and that is why it is tagged the Aisha Buhari International friendly and it is an opportunity for the coach and the entire Nigeria especially football stakeholders to start looking inward.

“But we cannot wipe these girls out completely, it is impossible and that’s why it has to be a gradual process.”

Copyright PUNCH.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NFF, Ex-Players Call for OverHauling of Super Falcons

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Why not improve the team instead of dismantling the team only to "start" a new team with the same set of players? We have to stop taking short cuts and actually build on what we have.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:19 pm Why not improve the team instead of dismantling the team only to "start" a new team with the same set of players? We have to stop taking short cuts and actually build on what we have.
Nigerians don’t come from a culture of development and building so of cause you’re going to hear cries of dismantle and overhaul but no one will ask where they went wrong to start with.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:19 pm Why not improve the team instead of dismantling the team only to "start" a new team with the same set of players? We have to stop taking short cuts and actually build on what we have.
Actually, what you mention here is precisely what the story suggests. You may want to review it again.

In my view, I think they may be going overboard here. This singular defeat should not lead to hasty decisions. While I agree that there is need to look at local players, it will be a grave decision to overcompensate by ignoring players based outside the country.

I think we should avoid these false narratives about local or foreign training of players. Simply focus on the individual talent of a given player and not whether the player is based in Nigeria or not.
Last edited by Enugu II on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I approve this thread.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

In case you missed it, well, this is exactly what happened; the supper Falcons have already been overhauled going forward. If you noticed except for the Houston dash player non of the new girls that featured in the US tournament were in Lagos for So called Aisha Buhari tournament. Not even the much publicized Ashleigh was there. This was not by accident; the plan was to honor and give all the old players opportunity to feature in this exhibition in recognition of their long service to the nation. This was planed to coincide with the award ceremony featuring formers players most of whom were also invited to Lagos. The new look Falcons would begin to phase in into the team as World Cup qualification peaks. Hence the performance in Lagos should not be surprising to anyone who saw the players featured in Lagos as opposed to the players featured in the US
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

jette1 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:40 am In case you missed it, well, this is exactly what happened; the supper Falcons have already been overhauled going forward. If you noticed except for the Houston dash player non of the new girls that featured in the US tournament were in Lagos for So called Aisha Buhari tournament. Not even the much publicized Ashleigh was there. This was not by accident; the plan was to honor and give all the old players opportunity to feature in this exhibition in recognition of their long service to the nation. This was planed to coincide with the award ceremony featuring formers players most of whom were also invited to Lagos. The new look Falcons would begin to phase in into the team as World Cup qualification peaks. Hence the performance in Lagos should not be surprising to anyone who saw the players featured in Lagos as opposed to the players featured in the US
I totally agree. From the Turkey tournament we saw a new look team and performance, remember they beat Equatorial Guinea 9 nil. The prefered holding player seems to Ayinde but she suffered a long-term injury. Gift Monday, Glory Ogbonna have been there since Waldrum's first squad. This squad is also missing Patricia George (also due to long-term injury), Ifeoma Onumonu (Gotham FC's US top striker), Esther Okoronkwo (who just joined Saint-Etienne,& scored 2 goals last week on her debut against Oparanozie's Dijon), Onyinyechi Zogg,Plumptre, the Payne sisters and Ajibade. Toni Payne & Rasheedat Ajibade have been the absolute top performers for the Falcons in the previous 2 invitationals. Had they played, nobody would have been raving about Kgatlana. Also i feel with the injection of some more NWFL stars, example Ezenagu of Rivers Angels who is an absolute baller, we certainly have the tools to move on from the Oparanozie's Okobi's, Chikwelu's etc.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Adisboy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:32 am
jette1 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:40 am In case you missed it, well, this is exactly what happened; the supper Falcons have already been overhauled going forward. If you noticed except for the Houston dash player non of the new girls that featured in the US tournament were in Lagos for So called Aisha Buhari tournament. Not even the much publicized Ashleigh was there. This was not by accident; the plan was to honor and give all the old players opportunity to feature in this exhibition in recognition of their long service to the nation. This was planed to coincide with the award ceremony featuring formers players most of whom were also invited to Lagos. The new look Falcons would begin to phase in into the team as World Cup qualification peaks. Hence the performance in Lagos should not be surprising to anyone who saw the players featured in Lagos as opposed to the players featured in the US
I totally agree. From the Turkey tournament we saw a new look team and performance, remember they beat Equatorial Guinea 9 nil. The prefered holding player seems to Ayinde but she suffered a long-term injury. Gift Monday, Glory Ogbonna have been there since Waldrum's first squad. This squad is also missing Patricia George (also due to long-term injury), Ifeoma Onumonu (Gotham FC's US top striker), Esther Okoronkwo (who just joined Saint-Etienne,& scored 2 goals last week on her debut against Oparanozie's Dijon), Onyinyechi Zogg,Plumptre, the Payne sisters and Ajibade. Toni Payne & Rasheedat Ajibade have been the absolute top performers for the Falcons in the previous 2 invitationals. Had they played, nobody would have been raving about Kgatlana. Also i feel with the injection of some more NWFL stars, example Ezenagu of Rivers Angels who is an absolute baller, we certainly have the tools to move on from the Oparanozie's Okobi's, Chikwelu's etc.
Thanks jette1 and Adisboy. :thumb:
If not for your insights, the false narrative would have gained momentum
We love to ‘disband’ and ‘overhaul’ at the first sign of trouble (or even with the natural lows all teams experience).
It’s just our nature to react without establishing the true facts.

As for Oparanozie, Okorie, Ortega and Chikwelu etc, it might not so much be a matter of age. It might just be a case of even better players emerging.
I’ve certainly been a big fan of Ajibade right from her junior days and predicted her rise to eminence in a few short years as we are seeing now.

I dunno, but this defeat is no disaster it’s being made out to be.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Valid points.
The team has been undergoing a revamp since the advent of Waldrum, and we saw many candidates and new faces (which is good). I agree with Prof. that the comments of the old brigade are an over-reaction. The fact is South Africa has been working hard over the past 5 years to close the gap and they have done so.
However, a lot of new players have been discovered (like Regina Otuh, Vivian Ikechukwu - who actually played in the US Summer Series and Tosin Demehin - Rivers Angels) who will become the new faces of our Super Falcons.

Fear not, folks. A younger and more lethal SF is on the horizon. This loss to SA was actually a very good thing, as it will make the team stronger going forward and prepare us for the upcoming AWCON, know fully well that SA is snapping at our heels.
Adisboy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:32 am I totally agree. From the Turkey tournament we saw a new look team and performance, remember they beat Equatorial Guinea 9 nil. The prefered holding player seems to Ayinde but she suffered a long-term injury. Gift Monday, Glory Ogbonna have been there since Waldrum's first squad. This squad is also missing Patricia George (also due to long-term injury), Ifeoma Onumonu (Gotham FC's US top striker), Esther Okoronkwo (who just joined Saint-Etienne,& scored 2 goals last week on her debut against Oparanozie's Dijon), Onyinyechi Zogg,Plumptre, the Payne sisters and Ajibade. Toni Payne & Rasheedat Ajibade have been the absolute top performers for the Falcons in the previous 2 invitationals. Had they played, nobody would have been raving about Kgatlana. Also i feel with the injection of some more NWFL stars, example Ezenagu of Rivers Angels who is an absolute baller, we certainly have the tools to move on from the Oparanozie's Okobi's, Chikwelu's etc.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

I sincerely hope you’re just running your mouth. That US squad lost to Jamaica. They were nothing to write home about… and one loss in a friendly doesn’t mean anything❗️

Cheers.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Actually, it is about both. Oparanozie, for example, has been playing for the SF since 2008. Chikwelu similar. Ordega seems to only play one way and she has been scouted and found out. Okobi is a reserve at her club, playing second fiddle to Halimat Ayinde. She has nothing left to offer the SF, as evidenced in her performance during the ABC Invitational.
It really is time for them to leave the stage and let the newer and younger players stake their claim.
Damunk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:54 am ..As for Oparanozie, Okobi, Ordega and Chikwelu etc, it might not so much be a matter of age. It might just be a case of even better players emerging.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:07 pm
I sincerely hope you’re just running your mouth. That US squad lost to Jamaica. They were nothing to write home about… and one loss in a friendly doesn’t mean anything❗️

Cheers.
You have to put that game into context. There were so many (up to 6) new players who had never played with one another before with just 2 training sessions. Unlike the match against SA where we were played off the park, these new players outplayed Jamaica especially in the 2nd half, with the Jamaicans just holding on. You could see the improvements later in the matches against Portugal & USA. We have young lethal players especially up front but I believe we will still need Ohale & Ebi for now for experience at the back, for instance Ogbonna's rash tackles in the box has cost the Falcons 2 penalties (against Jamaica & SA). For the past 3 years, the contributions of Ordega, Oparanozie, Okobi have been dwindling, the new players seem move effective.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Now I know why some of these clowns are calling for an overhaul of the team…❗️

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/f ... ouala.html
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Otitokoro wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:12 pm Actually, it is about both. Oparanozie, for example, has been playing for the SF since 2008. Chikwelu similar. Ordega seems to only play one way and she has been scouted and found out. Okobi is a reserve at her club, playing second fiddle to Halimat Ayinde. She has nothing left to offer the SF, as evidenced in her performance during the ABC Invitational.
It really is time for them to leave the stage and let the newer and younger players stake their claim.
Damunk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:54 am ..As for Oparanozie, Okobi, Ordega and Chikwelu etc, it might not so much be a matter of age. It might just be a case of even better players emerging.
Although Oparanozie actually made her debut in 2010...
2008 would still have been five years LATER than your pal Onome Ebi. :lol:

Oparanozie has scored 22 goals in 35 appearances for the Falcons...
Even scored the winning lone goal on her latest return, but you keep supporting the NFF's CORRUPTION.

Anyway, interesting that now you have your Oyinbo coach...
You suddenly acknowledge that SA (and others) are catching up (or caught up) with the Falcons. SMH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

So Oshoala was included in this so-called "plan"? :blink:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:03 pm
Actually, what you mention here is precisely what the story suggests. You may want to review it again.

In my view, I think they may be going overboard here. This singular defeat should not lead to hasty decisions. While I agree that there is need to look at local players, it will be a grave decision to overcompensate by ignoring players based outside the country.

I think we should avoid these false narratives about local or foreign training of players. Simply focus on the individual talent of a given player and not whether the player is based in Nigeria or not.
Many Nigerians love hyperbole and overreaction...
Our biggest issues have been coaching, not talent.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL