6 takeaways from the game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
6 takeaways from the game

Post by Tobi17 »

(1).Rohr is still a very average coach, and the result of today doesn't take anything away from how truly awful and reactionary Rohr is... I'm glad his stint as coach now dangerously hangs in the balance, and I don't see him lasting in the job if he fails to either get to the finals of the AFCON or win it (no excuses anymore, he's had more than enough time than necessary with these team).

(2) 3-5-2 remains our best formation, every good and tactically solid game I can remember us playing so far under Rohr happened when he utilized the 352 formation; the Argentina game comes to mind when we beat them 4-2 in a friendly and a couple of other games... why Rohr decided to ditch this formation for good in favor of a 4231 formation that tended to flatline our attacking dynamics somewhat baffles me... Be it as it may, we saw the result of how a food formation can bring out the best in a team as it allows the players to play to their strengths.

(3). I wasn't even bothered about the CAR win in Lagos cause I was more than confident we're going to comfortably beat them in Douala even whilst playing in third gear, anomalies and freak wins like that happen in football and even though we played like utter sh#t in the first leg, the gilt edged chances we got especially in the 2H would have seen us comfortably beat C. A. R.

(4) Kudos to Balogun and Ekong for standing up big time to redeem themselves, Balogun played a blinder today and the 352 formation almost made him look comfortable playing as a midfielder and getting forward; and his efforts were duly rewarded with a well taken goal in the box... even though I still have my reservations about the "Oyinbo wall" as I believe they will get badly exposed against quality teams, I still gotta hand it to them for a stand up performance today.

(5) Onyeka still has quite some learning to do playing that Ndidi role, but I believe if he sees regular football at Brentford and keeps been an understudy to Ndidi... in due time he will step up superbly as our DM deputy, he did well today and his pin-point assist/cross for Balogun's goal showed some good vision.

(6) As they say in the Naija proverbial parlance "wetin you dey find for Sokoto dey for inside your Sokoto", we don't need to burn out our hopes looking for a CAM or waiting on the British Naija Boys to make a switch that seems to be taking forever... I believe in Chidera Ejuke, we can unlock a player who will provide the answer to our creative outlets... Ejuke made it happen not only in Lagos where he turned it up in the second half and created chances, but he was terrific today (if only he can cut out his selfishness sometimes and just pass the gaddamb ball). Chidera should be anointed as our #10 going forward.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 6 takeaways from the game

Post by vancity eagle »

Aribo played well. Good player despite some of the hate he has been getting.

Onyeka I thought was decent, he wasn't trying to replicate the "ndidi role" He is his own player.

Ejuke is a diamond in the rough, but we definately need him and Rohr needs to get the best out of him.

Simon is better as a wingback than a winger.

Iheanacho was piss poor.

Osimehn as well was dissapointing to be honest.

Collins is such a bang average whack player. How can you offer nothing in attack when you are up against a team sitting back.

Ahmed Musa is a dark stain on Nigerian football. Can we not just organize 2 testimonial matches to get this wastepipe his record. Imagine the clowns at the NFF jeapordizing our world cup for a stupid meaningless milestone that was disingenuously given to him.

Balogun was possessed in the first half. The guy likes to attack, and you cannot blame him when our attack has been toothless.

The pitch was much better and it showed in our passing and play.

Rohr is just a dunce, he will never get it.

352 is a great formation to play 2 strikers. Unfortunately Nacho had to still drop back because Musa was aWOL.

Did anybody notice the bricklayer named Bonke almost cost us at the end when he miscontrolled a simple ball and gave it away for a near breakaway.

Much improved performance but still not good enough.

If playing a 352 Sanusi is a much better option than Collins, so is Aina on the left.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:53 pm.

(6) As they say in the Naija proverbial parlance "wetin you dey find for Sokoto dey for inside your Sokoto", we don't need to burn out our hopes looking for a CAM or waiting on the British Naija Boys to make a switch that seems to be taking forever... I believe in Chidera Ejuke, we can unlock a player who will provide the answer to our creative outlets... Ejuke made it happen not only in Lagos where he turned it up in the second half and created chances, but he was terrific today (if only he can cut out his selfishness sometimes and just pass the gaddamb ball). Chidera should be anointed as our #10 going forward.
Teef!!!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=305694

You go pay me o!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

As much as I don’t want to focus on people’s negatives, Balogun made a pretty big howler 10 mins before he was subbed. He gave up the ball in a dangerous place trying to do a sorry impression of Ejuke.

I have been a fan of his since Keshi gave him his debut, but there are mistakes and there are mistakes. And this one was bad. It’s the kind of thing that makes me write off less players. It says a lot about how he processes situations.

Rohr is fine. He needs some improvement but so far, he’s successful. I think he should win the AfCon. If he doesn’t, it will depend on how/why before one can start thinking of a replacement.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

deanotito wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:38 pm As much as I don’t want to focus on people’s negatives, Balogun made a pretty big howler 10 mins before he was subbed. He gave up the ball in a dangerous place trying to do a sorry impression of Ejuke.

I have been a fan of his since Keshi gave him his debut, but there are mistakes and there are mistakes. And this one was bad. It’s the kind of thing that makes me write off less players. It says a lot about how he processes situations.

Rohr is fine. He needs some improvement but so far, he’s successful. I think he should win the AfCon. If he doesn’t, it will depend on how/why before one can start thinking of a replacement.
Awaziem is a better defender than Balogun, he combined better with Ekong... maybe we need to see more of Akpoguma as well.