Behind concerns over Afcon is a culture of disdain

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Shadams
Egg
Egg
Behind concerns over Afcon is a culture of disdain

Post by Shadams »

Before a controversial ban on eight African countries by the United States and several nations in Europe owing to the discovery of the Omicron variant of Covid-19 by scientists in South Africa, the European Club Association (ECA) had written to world football governing body Fifa to express concerns over how rising cases of Omicron could endanger the participation of Europe-based African players at the Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) starting on 9 January.

But this provocative move as well as the more recent angst over the Afcon rehash needless anxieties that play into a historical pattern of disrespect for Africa and the continent’s sporting traditions. That the ECA board expressed its “deep concerns” about whether players would be safe may be reasonable, but at the same time it invokes a culture of condescension that is normally encountered in the weeks leading to the all-important Afcon.

More: https://www.newframe.com/behind-concern ... f-disdain/
Comment is free, but facts are sacred-- C.P Scott
Enyi
Egg
Egg
Re: Behind concerns over Afcon is a culture of disdain

Post by Enyi »

I am naturally born European- married to a beauty from Nigeria and to be honest, it is easy to see why The disdain is there…..

It is the image that is projected to every person here in UK and beyond…it is subconscious racism

I had a conversation with Wrighty after his viral post and we both came to the same conclusion - it is all we (here in England) know…

1st time I went to Nigeria, I had that effect of expectation then let down in Lagos then you get to the Island and it is like oookkk…

Next time the wife conned me into landing in Abuja and I Was pleasantly surprised and I thought to myself…well well well well…..no one (here in England) sees this!!!…

That is the issue with Africa…..No one sees the good Side and the historical thing is that Africa is poor and disorganized and that is extended to all aspects of things pertaining to Africa….

To be fair….Africans don’t help the issue….with the level of leadership and exposure but things are changing….

For Example: AFCON….why are we siding with FIFA in things like biennial WC while we don’t see anything to help us?
Our heads at FIFA are all about their pockets and not AFRICA as a whole….

The WATFORD issue should have being used by someone with sense to promote AFCON..the fact that a lowly club like Watford can challenge Nigeria and Senegal and NO ONE at FIFA said anything is appalling. Nigeria gave up so easily….don’t care if the invite is late or not….

If Nigeria/ CAF president threatened FIFA….trust me….Dennis will be Cameroun now nicely delivered by Watford….

These little things matter….if u let things like that slide…bigger things will be harder to change….

I remember the age thing with Kanu and Adams….it was funny (I laughed initially) but then I clocked it and I pushed that it ain’t to be accepted…Kanu might be a soft soul but u don’t take advantage….

We need to know that we can not let things slide and the whole AFCON issue should be made more of an issue than what it is….
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enyi wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:30 am I am naturally born European- married to a beauty from Nigeria and to be honest, it is easy to see why The disdain is there…..

It is the image that is projected to every person here in UK and beyond…it is subconscious racism

I had a conversation with Wrighty after his viral post and we both came to the same conclusion - it is all we (here in England) know…

1st time I went to Nigeria, I had that effect of expectation then let down in Lagos then you get to the Island and it is like oookkk…

Next time the wife conned me into landing in Abuja and I Was pleasantly surprised and I thought to myself…well well well well…..no one (here in England) sees this!!!…

That is the issue with Africa…..No one sees the good Side and the historical thing is that Africa is poor and disorganized and that is extended to all aspects of things pertaining to Africa….

To be fair….Africans don’t help the issue….with the level of leadership and exposure but things are changing….

For Example: AFCON….why are we siding with FIFA in things like biennial WC while we don’t see anything to help us?

The WATFORD issue should have being used by someone with sense to promote AFCON..the fact that a lowly club like Watford can challenge Nigeria and Senegal and NO ONE at FIFA said anything is appalling. Nigeria gave up so easily….don’t care if the invite is late or not….

If Nigeria/ CAF president threatened FIFA….trust me….Dennis will be Cameroun now nicely delivered by Watford….

These little things matter….if u let things like that slide…bigger things will be harder to change….

I remember the age thing with Kanu and Adams….it was funny (I laughed initially) but then I clocked it and I pushed that it ain’t to be accepted…Kanu might be a soft soul but u don’t take advantage….

We need to know that we can not let things slide and the whole AFCON issue should be made more of an issue than what it is….
“Well, well, well….”
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I had no idea you were a “natural-born European”.

With a name like Enyi, I’m sure I’m not the only one that assumed you were Igbo or close.
Your wife has definitely cooked you well in Ogbono soup. :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

That’s what my father-in-law calls me and I like it…like friend…it’s nice
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:43 am
Enyi wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:30 am I am naturally born European- married to a beauty from Nigeria and to be honest, it is easy to see why The disdain is there…..

“Well, well, well….”
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I had no idea you were a “natural-born European”.

With a name like Enyi, I’m sure I’m not the only one that assumed you were Igbo or close.
Your wife has definitely cooked you well in Ogbono soup. :thumb:
This one is no longer a European again oh. He sits on an Igbo village council now. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Shadams
Egg
Egg

Post by Shadams »

Thank you Enyi, and very well said: "No one sees the good Side." We certainly do need some solid leadership to project what is great about the continent. Ultimately, it is about getting our act together at the level of leadership and organization (we can't rule out the play of economic power in all this), pushing back against a culture of mediocrity, and taking control of the production and flow of the narratives about us. You don't want to whine constantly when you can build capacity.
Comment is free, but facts are sacred-- C.P Scott
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Shadams wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:44 pm

Thank you Enyi, and very well said: "No one sees the good Side." We certainly do need some solid leadership to project what is great about the continent. Ultimately, it is about getting our act together at the level of leadership and organization (we can't rule out the play of economic power in all this), pushing back against a culture of mediocrity, and taking control of the production and flow of the narratives about us. You don't want to whine constantly when you can build capacity.

-Martin Luther King- Jr.

hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

The biggest disdain is that which we have for ourselves. Our leaders have no regard for their citizens. A significant number of the citizenry will defend the indefensible. Even in the microcosm that is football, our administrators are more likely to roll over, roll out the carpet or give the benefit of the doubt to at best average foreign coaches compared to Nigerians.
How do you expect folks to respect you when you treat yourself with disdain.
Is that not the Nigerian or by extension African story ?
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

hestonap wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:37 pm The biggest disdain is that which we have for ourselves. Our leaders have no regard for their citizens. A significant number of the citizenry will defend the indefensible. Even in the microcosm that is football, our administrators are more likely to roll over, roll out the carpet or give the benefit of the doubt to at best average foreign coaches compared to Nigerians.
You have made a general point but it is not relevant here. Africans respect the AFCON.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:00 pm
hestonap wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:37 pm The biggest disdain is that which we have for ourselves. Our leaders have no regard for their citizens. A significant number of the citizenry will defend the indefensible. Even in the microcosm that is football, our administrators are more likely to roll over, roll out the carpet or give the benefit of the doubt to at best average foreign coaches compared to Nigerians.
You have made a general point but it is not relevant here. Africans respect the AFCON.
This is true but is only part of the picture.
Respecting ourselves is the wider picture that is being pointed out. It all stems from there and cannot be divorced from our current problems, including AFCON.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:16 pm
aruako1 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:00 pm
This is true but is only part of the picture.
Respecting ourselves is the wider picture that is being pointed out. It all stems from there and cannot be divorced from our current problems, including AFCON.
Well then, AFCON seems to be on exception to the general rule.