WCQ vs Ghana: Is Ighalo needed?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet
WCQ vs Ghana: Is Ighalo needed?

Post by megapro »

His form

Saudi Arabia
Regular season.
Top goal scorers
2021/2022

1. Odion Ighalo -Al Shabab 12 goals
9. Vincent Aboubakar Al Nasar - 6 goals
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: WCQ vs Ghana: Is Ighalo needed?

Post by airwolex »

Imho yes. I liked the little i saw from Awoniyi, but I can't help but think Ighalos hold up play and know how could have been better against Tunisia. Against Ghana, it could prove even more invaluable
Last edited by airwolex on Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:34 am Imho yes. I liked the little i saw from Awoniyi, but I can't help but think Ighalos hold up play and no how could have been better against Tunisia. Against Ghana, it could prove even more invaluable
We done start with our nostalgia! Guess we won every match that Ighalo played in. :taunt:

Leave the team as it is :thumbs:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

wanaj0 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:39 am
airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:34 am Imho yes. I liked the little i saw from Awoniyi, but I can't help but think Ighalos hold up play and no how could have been better against Tunisia. Against Ghana, it could prove even more invaluable
We done start with our nostalgia! Guess we won every match that Ighalo played in. :taunt:

Ighalo is still doing it na
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Leave the team as it is? The team failed to go beyond Round 16 of the ongoing AFCON and you don’t want to improve it? Where is that done?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Lolly wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:47 am

Leave the team as it is? The team failed to go beyond Round 16 of the ongoing AFCON and you don’t want to improve it? Where is that done?
The failure is due more to organisation than personnel. We went with a team that met the coach for the first time at the tournament.

The alternative players are not significantly better than the ones that were at the AFCON.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

We are not talking a clear out, just one or two players. I can understand if you think Ighalo is done, however I disagree, if you feel the personnel cannot be improved. If Dennis comes to his senses he should be called as well
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Of course, it’s a No brainer. An inform experience player like Ighalo that has Man utd on his resume? For me, Dennis, ighalo,Osimehn and Even Victor Moses will asked to revert his retirement decision. Frankly, I would had considered Mikel obi but he hasn’t played football in over Few months. These inexperienced young players absolutely disappointed me at the Afcon by failing to qualify for the QF and If we invite all our experienced inform/best available players, we can defeat Ghana home and away on this game.
Last edited by john12 on Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

We don’t need Ighalo.
Our back ups to Osimhen are good enough.
All this pressure on Sadiq and Awoniyi does not help.
In fact, don’t be surprised if the pressure also gets to Osimhen when he returns.
It’s not as if Osimhen hasn’t had bad days in the office himself and now he is being held up as The Saviour of a nation’s football.
He’s barely turned a freaking 23 years old! He sef is still learning, so give him and all of them a break.

So Ighalo returns at whose expense?
Who do you think he is an upgrade on?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

john12 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:05 am Of course, it’s a No brainer. An inform experience player like Ighalo that has Man utd on his resume? For me, Dennis, ighalo,Osimehn and Even Victor Moses will asked to revert his retirement decision. Frankly, I would had considered Mikel obi but he hasn’t played football in over Few months. These inexperienced young players absolutely disappointed me at Afcon by failing to qualify for the QF. If we invite all our experienced inform/best available players, we can defeat Ghana home and away on this game.
Yep, truth is that we are not talented enough to be choosy. If Vic Moses wants back in so be it. The current young guys now know what standards they will be held up to in the SE. No sentiments
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Damunk wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:07 am We don’t need Ighalo.
In fact, don’t be surprised if the pressure also gets to Osimhen when he returns.
It’s not as if Osimhen hasn’t had bad days in the office himself and now he is being held up as The Saviour of a nation’s football.
He’s barely turned a freaking 23 years old and is still learning, so give them all a break.

Bros, he is definitely an upgrade on Umar, Olayinka and possibly Awoniyi. Haba.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:34 am Imho yes. I liked the little i saw from Awoniyi, but I can't help but think Ighalos hold up play and know how could have been better against Tunisia. Against Ghana, it could prove even more invaluable
Did you see the hold up play in the last game he played against CV? Well, I didn’t! All I saw was someone seriously struggling to keep up with the pace of the game.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:11 am
He’s barely turned a freaking 23 years old and is still learning, so give them all a break.

Not any more.
Until the guy finally buries himself in disgrace una no go gree. :rotf:
I’m all for experience but it has to be backed by performance, not expi for expi’s sake.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:11 am

Enough said.

You can’t throw away the experience of Ighalo especially because he is still active playing at a decent level. The other boys are not ready.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

He’s barely turned a freaking 23 years old! He sef is still learning, so give him and all of them a break.

Ighalo is coming back as a back up to osimehn and not as a replacement. I’m sorry but the likes of awoniyi, sadiq, onuachu aren’t as good as ighalo now. We need our inform experienced players for this game and after the game, we can try out inexperienced players
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Why not? Bring him in and compare him to the guys we currently have.

Rohr had a good look at Awoniyi and decided he wanted Ighalo back. Egu played Awoniyi and proved that Rohr was right.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

omo we need Ighalo oooo
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

john12 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:28 am

Ighalo is coming back as a back up to osimehn and not as a replacement. I’m sorry but the likes of awoniyi, sadiq, onuachu aren’t as good as ighalo now. We need our inform experienced players for this game and after the game, we can try out inexperienced players
Personally I wouldn't put Onuachu in the same category.
He has had his opportunities.
Younger, promising players need to be given a chance to prove themselves.
We are blessed and cant be relying on near-expired goods like Ighalo for ever.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:40 am

Ighalo is still doing it na
But Awoniyi is doing it at a much higher level and how did that translate to SE ?

when Ighalo started against Cape Verde he ran around like a pregnant woman and MISSED 2 CLEAR SITTERS.

We didn't miss any chances as bad as those 2 this entire tournament.

Let him be. We will sink or swim with Osimehn, Sadiq, Awoniyi.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

wanaj0 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:51 am

The failure is due more to organisation than personnel. We went with a team that met the coach for the first time at the tournament.

The alternative players are not significantly better than the ones that were at the AFCON.
:clap:

People are still making the foolish mistake that Rohr made when he pannicked and recalled Ighalo in the first place.

We didn't exit the ANC, or have poor results in WCQ because of player personnel.

It was POOR COACHING AND TACTICS in both.

How hard is it for people to see the obvious.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Off point....but I would have loved us to have another look at Dessers. I doubt it. But he would have been interesting to evaluate at this AFCON.

As far as this question on Ighalo, if we go by what we saw in the labored performance against CVerde, the answer is NO. But hw was invited for AFCON so he'll be invited for the WCQ.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

So it's organization that made Taiwo not have a shot at goal in over 50 minutes as a striker against CAR either? We need to stop using administrative action to select players for the SE. The SE should not be an equal starter opportunity for strikers. Let our best players always represent us. Ighalo should play till he is 70 if no other striker can beat him off the team. All these "I like what I see" for nearly 300 minutes of Awoniyi with ZERO clear shot on target talkless a goal is rubbish.

This is why Udeze, Taye Taiwo, Osaze, Yobo, and even Mikel are among my favorite SE players. When they came into the team there were credible starters at each their positions. But they grabbed the opportunity they had with both hands and never looked back. Babayaro was still at the top of his game in the EPL when Udeze came in from nowhere and grabbed the LB position from him. Taiwo did the same to Udeze. Ofcourse we all remember the Legendary Yobo and how he shut down the former WPOY George Weah to the extent Suya (Continue to Rest in perfect peace) dubbed him the Ogoni blanket on this forum.

There is not a single person here that wouldn't have been happy for Awoniyi if he banged in one or 2 goals in his nearly 300 minutes of play for the SE. He needs to beat out his competitors for the position and not rely on administrative action for selection. All these hold up play talk is nonsense. You make the team by taking advantage of the opportunity you are given like Sadiq has done.

Our top 4 strikers remain..

Osimhen
Ighalo
Nacho
Sadiq

wanaj0 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:51 am

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Shhh! ...Let them continue to yarn opaks.
Of course, they would turn a blind eye on Ighalo's mediocre performance against CV and highlight his goals record in a retirement league.

Don't know when the likes of Osimhen, Awoniyi, Onuachu and Sadiq are going to become 'experienced', in spite of them performing equally well (or better than Ighalo) for their clubsides in much more competitive leagues. These are the kind of games that build the so called 'experience' (which Ighalo himself profited from, considering he was very poor in his first 5 or so starts for the SE until he scored against Cameroon in Nigeria).
These kids need to learn and build their own character on the international stage. Osimhen, Awoniyi, Onuachu and Sadiq should be able to get Nigeria over the finish line.
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:08 pm
But Awoniyi is doing it at a much higher level and how did that translate to SE ?

when Ighalo started against Cape Verde he ran around like a pregnant woman and MISSED 2 CLEAR SITTERS.

We didn't miss any chances as bad as those 2 this entire tournament.

Let him be. We will sink or swim with Osimehn, Sadiq, Awoniyi.