Are SE better off today than 2 months ago?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Are SE better off today than 2 months ago?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

We went to AFCON and almost won it with superlative performances but unfortunately the 2nd rd was in the way and we couldn't negotiate a victory. We saw some of the best football ever played by any African team and probably the best played at AFCON. Encomiums must be broadcasted to the world about the superlative job that Eguaveon and the team did in Cameroun. If we had a forward looking God fearing federal government a week of fasting and prayer should've been declared by now in appreciation of our SE team accomplishments in Cameroon. We were the best attacking team, the best defensive team and we had the best coach.

So. Are we better off than we were before AFCON? Was it worth destroying a 5yr development plan and paying $600k to Rohr for early termination? Are we better positioned to reach the WC semis? At this point qualifing for the wc is a fore gone conclusion, we have birth rights. Are we on our way to the WC semis? Up Nigeria. :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Are SE better off today than 2 months ago?

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:32 am We went to AFCON and almost won it with superlative performances but unfortunately the 2nd rd was in the way and we couldn't negotiate a victory. We saw some of the best football ever played by any African team and probably the best played at AFCON. Encomiums must be broadcasted to the world about the superlative job that Eguaveon and the team did in Cameroun. If we had a forward looking God fearing federal government a week of fasting and prayer should've been declared by now in appreciation of our SE team accomplishments in Cameroon. We were the best attacking team, the best defensive team and we had the best coach.

So. Are we better off than we were before AFCON? Was it worth destroying a 5yr development plan and paying $600k to Rohr for early termination? Are we better positioned to reach the WC semis? At this point qualifing for the wc is a fore gone conclusion, we have birth rights. Are we on our way to the WC semis? Up Nigeria. :thumbs:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Yes. Rohr would have lost in the second round to Ivory Coast. We wouldn't have beaten Egypt (they have Salah) and we would have learnt from Ivory Coast before losing gracefully. A five year development plan that delivered the dross we had. Rohr is gone...you just have to accept it.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Yes. Rohr would have lost in the second round to Ivory Coast. We wouldn't have beaten Egypt (they have Salah) and we would have learnt from Ivory Coast before losing gracefully. A five year development plan that delivered the dross we had. Rohr is gone...you just have to accept it.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:36 am Yes. Rohr would have lost in the second round to Ivory Coast. We wouldn't have beaten Egypt (they have Salah) and we would have learnt from Ivory Coast before losing gracefully. A five year development plan that delivered the dross we had. Rohr is gone...you just have to accept it.
Woulda, shoulda, coulda.
I guess we'll never know. :taunt:

But thats what they said about Keshi's AFCON-winning team in 2013 - and I'm not even talking about the NFF.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Damunk wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:45 am
aruako1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:36 am Yes. Rohr would have lost in the second round to Ivory Coast. We wouldn't have beaten Egypt (they have Salah) and we would have learnt from Ivory Coast before losing gracefully. A five year development plan that delivered the dross we had. Rohr is gone...you just have to accept it.
Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

But thats what they said about Keshi's AFCON-winning team in 2013 - and I'm not even talking about the NFF.
Nope. Maybe the post Afcon rankings will tell us.
OCCUPY NFF!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

The "double downers" will insist Rohr's sacking is justified.
Most of us might agree, Rohr needs to go but timing is everything.
If Rohr met his target and he was sacked, what was Egu's(i) target?
Surely, it would have been better to let Rohr continue - if he fails, then sack him or let his contract run down.
The worst he could have done is not make it out of the group stage.
Are we better off? Not at the moment.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

You make my point. We don't know that Rohr would have done better. I know definitely that he was poor towards the end of his tenure.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

pajimoh wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:07 pm
Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

Surely, it would have been better to let Rohr continue - if he fails, then sack him or let his contract run down.
I agree that the timing of the sack was poor. However I feel he should have been sacked immediately after the first round of the qualifiers, not before the AFCON. At the time the sacked him, I was already resigned to him taking us to the AFCON and I would never have wanted him to do badly to prove a point. However we may disagree, it is clear that Rohr and Eguavoen are not the villains here. The NFF made a mess of it.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

aruako1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:36 pm
Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

I agree that the timing of the sack was poor. However I feel he should have been sacked immediately after the first round of the qualifiers, not before the AFCON. At the time the sacked him, I was already resigned to him taking us to the AFCON and I would never have wanted him to do badly to prove a point. However we may disagree, it is clear that Rohr and Eguavoen are not the villains here. The NFF made a mess of it.
We should have sacked Rohr immediately after the WC. Meeting your 'target' of qualification for the WC is setting the bar too low!

As for Eguavoen, not sure what you expect from a coach two weeks to a tournament. He played one scrimmage before the competition itself. If nothing, Eguavoen made many Nigerians believe that we can be GREAT again.

With Eguavoen we had the worst AFCON since 1982! I can't however with a straight face BLAME him for anything.

Rohr should try his skill with another team and let us see what he will achieve there.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

wanaj0 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:01 pm
Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

We should have sacked Rohr immediately after the WC. Meeting your 'target' of qualification for the WC is setting the bar too low!

As for Eguavoen, not sure what you expect from a coach two weeks to a tournament. He played one scrimmage before the competition itself. If nothing, Eguavoen made many Nigerians believe that we can be GREAT again.

With Eguavoen we had the worst AFCON since 1982! I can't however with a straight face BLAME him for anything.

Rohr should try his skill with another team and let us see what he will achieve there.
We are entering a dangerous place where incompetence, gross insubordination and not meeting your target is not what actually gets you the sack.
That is a clear and present danger to anyone that works for the NFF and that includes the likes of Egu.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

pajimoh wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:27 pm
wanaj0 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:01 pm
Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

We are entering a dangerous place where incompetence, gross insubordination and not meeting your target is not what actually gets you the sack.
That is a clear and present danger to anyone that works for the NFF and that includes the likes of Egu.
Rohr's problem started targets which for all intent and purposes was lowering the bar! What was the target for the WC? Just qualify for the world cup and nothing more? Since his contract was up after the world cup we should just have parted ways. He cannot meat our expectations. Everything that happened after that was damage control by NFF.

The WC qualification money was too much to miss. So they cannot afford to wait till Rohr will fail before they will act. Remember when Amodu was sent on a rescue mission.

The timing of the sack of Rohr was WRONG. I said so then. But it was RIGHT to sack Rohr.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:32 am We went to AFCON and almost won it with superlative performances but unfortunately the 2nd rd was in the way and we couldn't negotiate a victory. We saw some of the best football ever played by any African team and probably the best played at AFCON. Encomiums must be broadcasted to the world about the superlative job that Eguaveon and the team did in Cameroun. If we had a forward looking God fearing federal government a week of fasting and prayer should've been declared by now in appreciation of our SE team accomplishments in Cameroon. We were the best attacking team, the best defensive team and we had the best coach.

Opening multiple threads to talk about the same $#%. Perpetual loservile... 6 years isn't enough on the job?

Let it go!

I will like to know the game the great **** coached where he let in a cheap goal and got a red card and still won?

You know according to **** you all shouldn't expect any miracles, after all you all ain't got no superstars playing for big teams.

AGain, help my memory and remind me of a competitive game **** won after being a goal down and a man down... so we can raise our chest and say he would have been able to do the same against Tunisia.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

And let the church say AMEN!!!!

For yer eyes have seeyeth the glory of a wonderful performance :clap: :clap:

All hail the genius of Amaju Pinnick!!!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

txj wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:41 pm

Please add to oga Pinnick the entire NFF.
People seem to overlook the elephant in the room, FUNDS!
For me the reason Rohr was let go is to cover up the way the federation's funds were dispersed.
These leeches parading as our football caretakers always pay themselves but not the coach or
others doing the actual work. So Rohr met his schedule tasks, even though with a struggle, he
became the excuse to cover up the incompetence of the NFF, and shift discussions.
Maybe with Rohr, the SE would have been out of AFCON at same stage, we will never know, but
my contention remains that our NFF, led by Pinick is a farce, and are pointing possible inquiries
of their incompetence in a different direction. Unfortunately there are many herein falling for
that fakery. Just to buttress my point, have we heard from Pinick since the SE ouster from AFCON,
or have the coaching situation been addressed. All we the fans have are rumors, with those claiming
to be in charge silent, as if everything is running fine.

In countries that are progressive, the leaders of sporting federations, and in fact government are
primarily those that already have money or are simply interested in giving service. Pinick and his
cohorts went into the NFF seeking to enrich themselves and not to make our football better. I hope
they can prove me wrong soon, or get out of the business they know little about nourishing.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

Woulda…..Rohr said so himself….

He was expecting to lose…..against Egypt…they had Salah
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

joao wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:16 pm
txj wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:41 pm

Please add to oga Pinnick the entire NFF.
People seem to overlook the elephant in the room, FUNDS!
For me the reason Rohr was let go is to cover up the way the federation's funds were dispersed.
These leeches parading as our football caretakers always pay themselves but not the coach or
others doing the actual work. So Rohr met his schedule tasks, even though with a struggle, he
became the excuse to cover up the incompetence of the NFF, and shift discussions.
Maybe with Rohr, the SE would have been out of AFCON at same stage, we will never know, but
my contention remains that our NFF, led by Pinick is a farce, and are pointing possible inquiries
of their incompetence in a different direction. Unfortunately there are many herein falling for
that fakery. Just to buttress my point, have we heard from Pinick since the SE ouster from AFCON,
or have the coaching situation been addressed. All we the fans have are rumors, with those claiming
to be in charge silent, as if everything is running fine.

In countries that are progressive, the leaders of sporting federations, and in fact government are
primarily those that already have money or are simply interested in giving service. Pinick and his
cohorts went into the NFF seeking to enrich themselves and not to make our football better. I hope
they can prove me wrong soon, or get out of the business they know little about nourishing.
Thank you. I'll answer the question - Are we better off now than 2 years ago? My honest answer is...I don't know. My speculative answer is ...not likely.

1. Results: We have not crashed out this early from Afcon since 1982 (I am giving the benefit of the doubt to Egu on this, but not the system within which he is operating. What country brings in an Airline chief to contaminate half time instructions?). Question what should Egu have done? does this happen with other coaching crews for the SE?

2. The System: Related to what our half time tactical adjustment is (e.g Air Peace and Picnic mouth piece time), do I blame the coach? This for me, is where I am torn. I don't recall seeing this happen under Rohr. I am not for a foreign coach per se, I am for the best fit for the eagles. The air peace and picnic stuff was even more weird considering covid. I asked, what Egu has do do with this ? I don't see this happening under Oliseh or Keshi. So...do you think Egu will come good? I think not likely based only on most of the evidence in front of me so fat, less because I think he is not as tactically sound as I would love the SE coach but more because, by design and type, he may be part of the system. AND you cannot be aligned with the system and be good for the Eagles. For me, a sign that we have the right coach that compensates for the areas of our biggest downfall/weaknesses is when the coach and the NFF almost don't see eye-to-eye: For me that's a good indicator and also a sad sign for football admin. Westerhoff chased these guys NFF guys away, during his time so that the players can focus on winning. I just don't see Egu doing the needed. There seems to be a different expectation and unspoken permission with different type of leaders. These permissions will get in the way.

3. Tactical and Technical Competence: I don't know if Egu is good, I have not seen anything today or in his past stints that tells me yet that I can expect SE level tactical know how from him. I think we have other local coaches with better know how. I am hoping he has learned a lot since when we crashed out in the mid 2000s under him. Amaju taking over his critical coaching and tactical change conversation time during the Afcon may have gotten in hi way (see #2) but we shall see. Again it may not be fair to judge him solely on the match vs. Tunisia, so I am rooting for him to be the man I hope he can be.

I want to try to the balanced and fair: Which is where data comes in. There is data we have now, now counters points 1 and 3:
Cybereagle - "MegaPro" - shared this stat with us back in December: Egu is now 12-1-3 if we add the Afcon and the 4 Afcon games have put him over 15 games. He maintains a 75% win rate.

MegaPro shared below back in Dec - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=306604

Rohr 66%
Amodu 65%
Westerhof 59%
Keshi 50%

Rohr
23-6-6
won 23/35
66%

Amodu
24-10-3
won 24/37