Osimhen is getting a little too much praise in Europe

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Osimhen is getting a little too much praise in Europe

Post by Tbite »

It concerns me.

For me, CE is not really the real world...we have the liberty here to say things that we wouldn't necessarily say elsewhere. I honestly feel that Osimhen could be a future WPOY. That is an outrageous claim, bordering on hype, but I feel that few people will read it, so it doesn't do any harm in terms of the hype issue.

I have studied the guy and he has the raw potential.

The problem however is in the 'REAL WORLD' people are hyping him, the Europeans even more than us! For me, the thing that impresses me the most about Osimhen is his potential and his work ethic, but in terms of the actual statistics, he has a long way to go, and I feel like every week I see very significant people in Europe (not just journalists, but ex players etc. managers) basically giving the guy a level of respect that is flattering, but I fear could do harm.

He still has a ways to go. I don't want Osimhen to get high off the hype and fall of the radar.

Osimhen CAN be great, but I wouldn't say he is great. I guess it determines on his mentality. Some players actually benefit from having an ego. I just hope he realises that the level of fame and respect he has, is somewhat bigger than what he has actually accomplished, and I hope he doesn't get a big head, without the skills to boot (no pun intended).

If Osimhen continues to progress, one day he could be WPOY, but if he doesn't continue to progress, I could easily see him falling off.

In short, abeg, for now (people out in the real world) should try to praise him based on his actual statistics.

He had 1 good season in Ligue 1 and important contributions in Seria A across two seasons (but largely clouded by injuries), this is promising, but not WPOY stuff, not even APOY stuff. Maybe not even Nigerian POY stuff, but with his excellent work ethic, and God willing (no more injuries) he can get there.

There have been other promising Nigerian players that I feel got too big headed and fell off, even though they always claim to work hard.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Osimhen is getting a little too much praise in Europe

Post by Sunset »

That's an interesting take but, when you see how hard he works it's no surprise why he gets a lot of praise from most corners. I'm not really sure what's outrageous with these claims of him as a future WPOY especially seeing what he achieved at U17 level and how he has successfully made the transition to the senior level where many fell through the cracks. He might be far off now but things can easily change in a couple of years. That experience you get does a lot!

And even for the SE IMO he's the only player that's irreplaceable in our starting XI in terms of the drop in quality to the 2nd choice. And if it were left to me he'd be our captain.
Tbite wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:30 am It concerns me.

For me, CE is not really the real world...we have the liberty here to say things that we wouldn't necessarily say elsewhere. I honestly feel that Osimhen could be a future WPOY. That is an outrageous claim, bordering on hype, but I feel that few people will read it, so it doesn't do any harm in terms of the hype issue.

I have studied the guy and he has the raw potential.

The problem however is in the 'REAL WORLD' people are hyping him, the Europeans even more than us! For me, the thing that impresses me the most about Osimhen is his potential and his work ethic, but in terms of the actual statistics, he has a long way to go, and I feel like every week I see very significant people in Europe (not just journalists, but ex players etc. managers) basically giving the guy a level of respect that is flattering, but I fear could do harm.

He still has a ways to go. I don't want Osimhen to get high off the hype and fall of the radar.

Osimhen CAN be great, but I wouldn't say he is great. I guess it determines on his mentality. Some players actually benefit from having an ego. I just hope he realises that the level of fame and respect he has, is somewhat bigger than what he has actually accomplished, and I hope he doesn't get a big head, without the skills to boot (no pun intended).

If Osimhen continues to progress, one day he could be WPOY, but if he doesn't continue to progress, I could easily see him falling off.

In short, abeg, for now (people out in the real world) should try to praise him based on his actual statistics.

He had 1 good season in Ligue 1 and important contributions in Seria A across two seasons (but largely clouded by injuries), this is promising, but not WPOY stuff, not even APOY stuff. Maybe not even Nigerian POY stuff, but with his excellent work ethic, and God willing (no more injuries) he can get there.

There have been other promising Nigerian players that I feel got too big headed and fell off, even though they always claim to work hard.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

That im coach wey get name wey resembu Spaghetti, im tok say Osimhen get agidi like Maradona.

Nah dis kain kain ting wey I dey yarn.

I gree say bobo fi hustle anyhow, but make we kuku take am easy. Maradona ke? Anyhoo (as my oyinbo pipu dey tok) I gree say bobo fi rish World Class levels, but make we no let yanga pass banga, shey you feel me (as my yankee pipu dey tok).
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

If praise causes him to underwhelm then he was never meant of the bigtime.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

kalani JR wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:14 pm If praise causes him to underwhelm then he was never meant of the bigtime.
You are replying to people who say we shouldn't celebrate or be happy on CEs because our emotions here have an effect on the players' performances. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

danfo driver wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:58 pm
kalani JR wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:14 pm If praise causes him to underwhelm then he was never meant of the bigtime.
You are replying to people who say we shouldn't celebrate or be happy on CEs because our emotions here have an effect on the players' performances. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Fortunately he doesn’t seem like a player who lets hype get to him much - he always wants to do better. We need to see him with a truly world class supporting cast behind him to really see his best - he needs to be at a club that gets him the ball ..even if he only scores 1 out of 3 chances if they give him 9 chances he will score a hat trick every game - maybe Bayern, Liverpool..
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

danfo driver wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:58 pm
I am not saying don't praise, I am saying let the praise match the ability. and the Danfo guy didn't read my post, I said my posts DO NOT have any effect, I am talking about people like Spaletti and famous people that 100% Osimhen does listen to.

As much as the guy is good, I wouldn't start comparing him to people like Maradona. Hold off. Don't overdo it.
Who are Osimhen's peers, compare him to them for now. Who is he rivalling?

but I wouldn't be comparing him to football legends right now. His record is nowhere close that level, not even remotely close.

It is called sensationalism...and I can understand it coming from journalists who need to sell stories, but I don't understand why ex footballers, managers, expert pundits are being sensational. I have watched the guy and I think he can be all that plus a bag of chips, but I don't think he has done all that plus a bag of chips.

It's easy to say that hype doesn't matter, but we have seen it time and time again, footballers that think they have reached the Zenith. Osimhen has not achieved half of what he is capable of, and let us not pretend like he has. I have 100% faith in him that he will, but lets take it one step at a time. None of this "the new Eto'o" BS.

but there is a valid point about mentality. Everyone has a different mindset, but my post is more a cautionary tale. Some athletes are strange creatures who need an inflated ego to excel, Michael Jordan was one. So Osimhen might actually relish all of this, but I suspect that for the average person, being compared to people that have achieved the world, when you have only had 1 full season of excellence and 2 seasons of promise with interruptions might be distracting.

In general I also find it to be a disturbing trend, everyone is the new Drogba, everyone is the new Lampard, everyone is the new Ronaldinho. Haba.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Weird thread
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

airwolex wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:22 pm Weird thread
Indeed..
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

airwolex wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:22 pm Weird thread
Explain.

In any case I think Sunset was the only one who seemed to read the thread.

It's not really directed at CE, more of just beer parlour riffing. I.e. what do you think about people in expert positions hyping people up beyond their accomplishments.

But hey that is a really weird idea.

i didn't really have the time to be googling to be finding the actual articles, I just assumed others had seen them too

Not really referring to articles like this.

https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/napolis ... j6v0nqk364

but more like articles like this one.

https://football-italia.net/spalletti-s ... ssi-claim/

As much as I rate the guy very highly (and I think probably nobody on CE probably exceeds my rating of the guy) I don't think experts or people in the public high should be throwing names around based on what is relatively nothing too significant. That is what I am saying.

But we leave in the era of intangibles. Where everything is overvalued abi. If that is weird then I claim it 100% Those of you that know who I am, know that I don't alter my opinions to win popularity contests. If I did I would probably be the post popular poster on this forum! 99.9% of my haters here sang my praises at one point or another. Go figure.

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

More praise apparently Newcastle tried to get him in January and failed according to sky italia journalist

“There were a few bites from the Premier League for Osimhen. There was Newcastle’s interest in January and I don’t rule out that they can return to office in the summer.

“The strength they can put on Napoli’s plate is great. One could reason about a possible sale only in front of an offer that few can afford. I think Osimhen will stay at Napoli next season.”

http://sportwitness.co.uk/they-can-retu ... uary-deal/

Any transfer to take Osimhen away from Napoli would cost more than a €100m, a fee Newcastle are said to have offered, such is the value Aurelio De Laurentiis is said to have placed on his star.

That’s according Mario Giunta, a journalist for Sky Italia, who revealed as much on Radio Goal, relayed by Area Napoli.

He said: “There are many clubs on the Nigerian, but I feel like giving some news: Osimhen will stay in Naples again next season. Aurelio De Laurentiis and Luciano Spalletti are crazy about him and have no intention of getting rid of him. In addition, the former Lille man earns important figures in Campania. He is fine and doesn’t press to go away.”

http://sportwitness.co.uk/player-expect ... eady-made/
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

And some people are saying that the 100 mil was too much. :taunt:

If we undervalue our own, who will rate them?.
The British will call it the British tax, and it's okay. Abeg if they don't have 100 mil, make dem no come near our Osi boy.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

More praise lol

Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!