If Nigeria had played the first leg at home…

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

theDunamis
Egg
Egg
Re: If Nigeria had played the first leg at home…

Post by theDunamis »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:54 pm
truetalk wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:08 am It is not that difficult.

An away victory would have been an excellent result. Most of us believe it was within our reach.

A tied game with some scoring today in Kumasi leaves us in a better position than a goalless draw.

I am confident we can beat Ghana in Abuja.

However, if by some chance the game ends in a 1-1 draw we are out.

The situation is one of facts, as it pertains to the away goal rule, not one of feelings and drawing up funny scenarios.
Right. I don't know why Robby, E2 and a few others are struggling with this.

A great set of results
- Ghana 0-3 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-4 Nigeria

Very good
- Ghana 0-2 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-3 Nigeria

Good
- Ghana 0-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-2 Nigeria

OK
- Ghana 1-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 0-0 Nigeria

Bad
- Any defeat
Ghana 1 - 1 Nigeria is actually a good result and not just an ok result. It forces Ghana needing at least a goal in Abuja. A 0-0 result on the other hand gives them more options in terms of how they approach the game in Abuja. They could choose to start with a counterattacking tactic against our relatively slow defense. Or they could choose to park the bus. Hope for the lottery of penalties.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

txj wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:49 am
Orion wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:38 am
txj wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:06 pm Among the four African teams that played yesterday, the ranking of the results is as follows:
Tunisia
Algeria
Morocco
Egypt
Nigeria
This is not exactly accurate. We have to go by the teams in pot 1.

Among the teams in Pot 1 this is how their results ranked:
Algeria
Tunisia
Morocco
Nigeria
Senegal

We're not talking about the same thing
Well, if you're gonna make comparisons then there should be some level base from which the results are being compared. In this case, Senegal got the worst result. If we're talking of teams in pot 2, then Egypt of course got the best result followed by Ghana.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Orion wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:10 am
txj wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:49 am
Orion wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:38 am
txj wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:06 pm Among the four African teams that played yesterday, the ranking of the results is as follows:
Tunisia
Algeria
Morocco
Egypt
Nigeria
This is not exactly accurate. We have to go by the teams in pot 1.

Among the teams in Pot 1 this is how their results ranked:
Algeria
Tunisia
Morocco
Nigeria
Senegal

We're not talking about the same thing
Well, if you're gonna make comparisons then there should be some level base from which the results are being compared. In this case, Senegal got the worst result. If we're talking of teams in pot 2, then Egypt of course got the best result followed by Ghana.
Four teams played but you listed five countries.

A win, a draw and a loss are the possible outcome.

A win for us will be GREAT.

A LOSS will be disastrous. A draw is in between. Call it whatever name you like.

We were the only one playing a 'Rival'! The dynamics are different.

We were not excellent BUT we had the better chances.

If we cannot win in Abuja then we do not deserve to go to Qatar.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:55 am Four teams played but you listed five countries.

A LOSS will be disastrous. A draw is in between. Call it whatever name you like.

I don't understand. :?

10 countries played 5 games.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

theDunamis wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:08 am

An away victory would have been an excellent result. Most of us believe it was within our reach.

A tied game with some scoring today in Kumasi leaves us in a better position than a goalless draw.

The situation is one of facts, as it pertains to the away goal rule, not one of feelings and drawing up funny scenarios.

A great set of results
- Ghana 0-3 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-4 Nigeria

Very good
- Ghana 0-2 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-3 Nigeria

Good
- Ghana 0-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-2 Nigeria

OK
- Ghana 1-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 0-0 Nigeria

Bad
- Any defeat
Ghana 1 - 1 Nigeria is actually a good result and not just an ok result. It forces Ghana needing at least a goal in Abuja. A 0-0 result on the other hand gives them more options in terms of how they approach the game in Abuja. They could choose to start with a counterattacking tactic against our relatively slow defense. Or they could choose to park the bus. Hope for the lottery of penalties.
1-1 is somewhere between OK and good given the quality of the opposition. But yes, it could be considered a good result.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

A great set of results
- Ghana 0-3 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-4 Nigeria

Very good
- Ghana 0-2 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-3 Nigeria

Good
- Ghana 0-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-2 Nigeria

OK
- Ghana 1-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 0-0 Nigeria

Bad
- Any defeat
I understand the rules. That is not the issue.

The issue is that the rules do not void the psychological advantage tgat you get playing at home. Do they? What explains the fact that Nigeria wins over 60% of its home game and about 30% away? Can you tell us why? That is the point. Nigeria has a likelihood of winning at home than away. That is the point. Instead, you are focused on tiebreaker when Nigeria fails to win at home. That is not my focus. My focus is on the probability of winning the game outright and that probability is higher at home than it is away. Hopefully, you now understand the difference in your focus and ours.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

txj wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:25 pm
bushboy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:15 pm
txj wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:06 pm
Robbynice wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:38 pm
akamoke wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:45 pm
Robbynice wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:10 am …and the game ended 0-0, would Nigeria have the “upper hand” going to Kumasi for the second leg? Would we be praising the result as a good result? :???:
A bloody good question

We are too quick to find faults in our own , I actually don’t mind the criticism but it’s the inconsistency as you point out now that is the head scratcher
Baba it is a shame, a damn shame if you ask me.

I mean if this scenario was the case, nobody will be saying “If Nigeria score in Kumasi…” They will probably be saying that since we can’t score in Abuja, we should forget it in Kumasi. They will say Ghana was unlucky not to have beat us at home with 2 glorious chances and a PK that was over turned by VAR. Now all we hear is if Ghana score, if they do this do that, same Ghana that could not do jack at home. They didn’t even trouble our defense. Uzoho was comfortable all game long…Anyways it is what it is with my country people and it is very sad…smdh

Let me explain it to you, slowly:

This is not 1970. Football has evolved and especially defensive tactics have evolved, re low block. This often means, AT LEAST IN THEORY, that an away team has more space to attack on the break and take advantage of the away goal rule.

So, you could expect that there will be less space for Nigeria to attack in the next game than in yesterday's, on the assumption that Ghana adopts a low block, as most inferior road teams would do. See CAR. Again in theory.

But theory doesn't play football. Plus this is not a good Ghana team. They just DO NOT have the players...

It was not a bad result. Neither was it a great result.

Among the four African teams that played yesterday, the ranking of the results is as follows:
Tunisia
Algeria
Morocco
Egypt
Nigeria
So you think sitting back in a "low block" is a modern tactic? Lol. Please sir, tell us how inferior teams defended in 1970.

Yes it is. Its an adaptation from the old cattenacio...
Please stop. The more you talk the worse it gets. There is nothing "modern" about the low block. Teams have been using this for decades. The fact that you believe it's a recent innovation to think "If we pack our defense, our opponent will find it harder to score" is laughable.

Teams have gotten more efficient at it with the advent of data and video analysis, and improved fitness levels and training techniques. But the philosophy of that tactic is as old as football itself.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:01 pm

A great set of results
- Ghana 0-3 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-4 Nigeria

Very good
- Ghana 0-2 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-3 Nigeria

Good
- Ghana 0-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-2 Nigeria

OK
- Ghana 1-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 0-0 Nigeria

Bad
- Any defeat

The issue is that the rules do not void the psychological advantage tgat you get playing at home. Do they? What explains the fact that Nigeria wins over 60% of its home game and about 30% away? Can you tell us why? That is the point. Nigeria has a likelihood of winning at home than away. That is the point. Instead, you are focused on tiebreaker when Nigeria fails to win at home. That is not my focus. My focus is on the probability of winning the game outright and that probability is higher at home than it is away. Hopefully, you now understand the difference in your focus and ours.
My focus isn't on a tiebreaker. It's on the result of the last game with little speculation on the result of the next game.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Orion wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:43 am
wanaj0 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:55 am Four teams played but you listed five countries.

Father forgive them for they don't know what they are saying! :taunt:

If it was Equavoen that made such ridiculous statement we will not hear word.

10 countries played 5 matches. So let us rank the result earned b :clap: y the countries and see where Nigeria stands :clap:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:38 pm

10 countries played 5 matches. So let us rank the result earned b :clap: y the countries and see where Nigeria stands :clap:
You said 4 only teams played? :?

BTW, I didn't do the ranking. I was just correcting txj.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Orion wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:49 pm

I was highlighting/repeating what txj said. He stated that 4 teams played and went on to list 5 teams.

In trying to make sense he ended up confusing himself.

Now that we know that 10 teams played 5 matches, he should now list and rank the 10 teams (not the 5) and let us see where Nigeria will be based on the result
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:24 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:01 pm

A great set of results
- Ghana 0-3 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-4 Nigeria

Very good
- Ghana 0-2 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-3 Nigeria

Good
- Ghana 0-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-2 Nigeria

OK
- Ghana 1-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 0-0 Nigeria

Bad
- Any defeat

My focus isn't on a tiebreaker. It's on the result of the last game with little speculation on the result of the next game.
My focus, however, is on probability at home which is why there remains a home -and-away schedule in sports. The fan support counts for something. Players are not machines and they are susceptible to psuchological effects. Not only players arer but also matych officials. It is probability that now favors Nigeria and that is where my focus is. There is ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT who the probability now favors. I cannot speculate on reality because none of us can predict that.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

theDunamis wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:08 am

A great set of results
- Ghana 0-3 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-4 Nigeria

Very good
- Ghana 0-2 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-3 Nigeria

Good
- Ghana 0-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 1-2 Nigeria

OK
- Ghana 1-1 Nigeria
- Ghana 0-0 Nigeria

Bad
- Any defeat

Agreed completely.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:53 pm

I was highlighting/repeating what txj said. He stated that 4 teams played and went on to list 5 teams.

Now that we know that 10 teams played 5 matches, he should now list and rank the 10 teams (not the 5) and let us see where Nigeria will be based on the result
OK, you should have addressed your post to him as you added to the confusion too. :rotf: :rotf:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

bushboy wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:06 pm
txj wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:25 pm
bushboy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:15 pm
txj wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:06 pm
Robbynice wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:38 pm
akamoke wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:45 pm
Robbynice wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:10 am …and the game ended 0-0, would Nigeria have the “upper hand” going to Kumasi for the second leg? Would we be praising the result as a good result? :???:
A bloody good question

We are too quick to find faults in our own , I actually don’t mind the criticism but it’s the inconsistency as you point out now that is the head scratcher
Baba it is a shame, a damn shame if you ask me.

I mean if this scenario was the case, nobody will be saying “If Nigeria score in Kumasi…” They will probably be saying that since we can’t score in Abuja, we should forget it in Kumasi. They will say Ghana was unlucky not to have beat us at home with 2 glorious chances and a PK that was over turned by VAR. Now all we hear is if Ghana score, if they do this do that, same Ghana that could not do jack at home. They didn’t even trouble our defense. Uzoho was comfortable all game long…Anyways it is what it is with my country people and it is very sad…smdh

Let me explain it to you, slowly:

This is not 1970. Football has evolved and especially defensive tactics have evolved, re low block. This often means, AT LEAST IN THEORY, that an away team has more space to attack on the break and take advantage of the away goal rule.

So, you could expect that there will be less space for Nigeria to attack in the next game than in yesterday's, on the assumption that Ghana adopts a low block, as most inferior road teams would do. See CAR. Again in theory.

But theory doesn't play football. Plus this is not a good Ghana team. They just DO NOT have the players...

It was not a bad result. Neither was it a great result.

Among the four African teams that played yesterday, the ranking of the results is as follows:
Tunisia
Algeria
Morocco
Egypt
Nigeria
So you think sitting back in a "low block" is a modern tactic? Lol. Please sir, tell us how inferior teams defended in 1970.

Yes it is. Its an adaptation from the old cattenacio...
Please stop. The more you talk the worse it gets. There is nothing "modern" about the low block. Teams have been using this for decades. The fact that you believe it's a recent innovation to think "If we pack our defense, our opponent will find it harder to score" is laughable.

Teams have gotten more efficient at it with the advent of data and video analysis, and improved fitness levels and training techniques. But the philosophy of that tactic is as old as football itself.

Read my statement again and stop embarrassing yourself as usual. The low block is a modern ADAPTATION of defensive tactics

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:53 pm

Read my post again. Its pretty straightforward.

I said, RANKING THE RESULTS from the games (ie wrt the advantage it confers on the teams that got +ive results)...

Not the teams, not the pots, etc

nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

If we can't win in Abuja,we have no business in Qatar
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Actually yes…..cos all u need is to nick a goal……

:oops: that’s what Ghana did
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:03 am
furiously frank wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:15 am

True.
What is more, our recent records at home has been awful. I am shaking \with this result. not a good result at all
We should pray that Ghana doe not score first.

My man concern is our coach. He has no clue.
:clap: :clap:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Bros I suspect you know the answer. Naija shot themselves in the foot, poor preparation etc a funky football pitch. Naija need to invest in centres of excellence to raise standards. In every sector of human endeavour. Invest in their youth.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:03 am
We should pray that Ghana doe not score first.

My man concern is our coach. He has no clue.
did you pray?
If u did, then it was not well received
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar