Calvin "Baresi" Bassey

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Calvin "Baresi" Bassey

Post by 1naija »

This is an upward move. Ajax is like Leeds... still living off past glory.

Good luck to Calvin. I still dont think he is SE material.
Dammy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:04 pm To the boy’s credit, he wanted to stay in Ajax and fight for his place but the new coach didn’t give him that opportunity.So he’s on his way to join the Fulham squad in the US, where he will have his medicals.
He was scapegoated for a poor season by Ajax and the criticism was mostly unjustified.
The team didn’t improve when he was left out, and the likes of Timber and Blind made more mistakes than him but didn’t suffer the level of criticism because they are Dutch.
One of the criticisms was that he couldn’t pass the ball! Can you believe that?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

At Ajax he is guaranteed to play in the Champions League every season and is also almost guaranteed to win 🥇 a trophy 🏆 every season.

At Fulham he will never play in the Champions League again, and the best he can hope for is mid table obscurity.

Then I also understand that there are financial and lifestyle motivations (Fulham can probably pay him more, and he can live in London).
1naija wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:56 am This is an upward move. Ajax is like Leeds... still living off past glory.

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

wiseone wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:02 am At Ajax he is guaranteed to play in the Champions League every season and is also almost guaranteed to win 🥇 a trophy 🏆 every season.

At Fulham he will never play in the Champions League again, and the best he can hope for is mid table obscurity.

Then I also understand that there are financial and lifestyle motivations (Fulham can probably pay him more, and he can live in London).
1naija wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:56 am This is an upward move. Ajax is like Leeds... still living off past glory.

Well, Ajax won nothing last season and didn’t qualify for the Champions League. I don’t see that changing this season as they continue to lose key players. That’s why the club captain, Tadic, cancelled his contract and left for Fernabache
I am happy
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

wiseone wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:02 am At Ajax he is guaranteed to play in the Champions League every season and is also almost guaranteed to win 🥇 a trophy 🏆 every season.

i hope someone else will respond to you. i dont have the interest.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Trophyless/Champions League-less seasons at Ajax are extremely rare (a bit like Man Utd during the Ferguson era).

The last few seasons have been transitional for the club as it had its heart and soul ripped out by rich clubs raiding for its players (Licha Martinez, Antony, De Jong, De Ligt, Van de Beek, Haller, Gravenberch, Mazraoui, Blind, Onana, Neres, Ziyech, Dest, Promes, Tagliafico, Veltman, Traore, Dolberg).

No team can have a player exodus like that without a diminution in performance. However, Ajax’s famed academy always seems to produce new diamonds 💎 a few years later.

Just like Ajax lost and replaced its brilliant Champions League winning team of the 1990s (Kanu, Kluivert, Van der Sar, Seedorf, Davids, Rijkaard, the De Boer twins, Blind, Overmars, Finidi, Litmanen), they will do it again.

Dammy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:10 am

Well, Ajax won nothing last season and didn’t qualify for the Champions League. I don’t see that changing this season as they continue to lose key players. That’s why the club captain, Tadic, cancelled his contract and left for Fernabache
Last edited by wiseone on Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

wiseone wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:29 am Trophyless/Champions League less seasons at Ajax are extremely rare (a bit like Man Utd during the Ferguson era).

The last few seasons have been transitional for the club as it had its heart and soul ripped out by rich clubs raiding for its players (Licha Martinez, Antony, De Jong, De Ligt, Van de Beek, Haller, Gravenberch, Mazraoui, Blind, Onana, Andrea, Ziyech, Dest, Promes, Tagliafico, Veltman, Traore, Dolberg).

No team can have a player exodus like that without a diminution in performance. However, Ajax’s famed academy always seems to produce new diamonds 💎 a few years later.

Just like Ajax lost and replaced its brilliant Champions League winning team of the 1990s (Kanu, Kluivert, Van der Sar, Seedorf, Davids, Rijkaard, the De Boer twins, Blind, Overmars, Finidi, Litmanen), they will do it again.

The production line lacks the previous quality
I am happy
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dammy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:29 pm
wiseone wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:29 am Trophyless/Champions League less seasons at Ajax are extremely rare (a bit like Man Utd during the Ferguson era).

The last few seasons have been transitional for the club as it had its heart and soul ripped out by rich clubs raiding for its players (Licha Martinez, Antony, De Jong, De Ligt, Van de Beek, Haller, Gravenberch, Mazraoui, Blind, Onana, Andrea, Ziyech, Dest, Promes, Tagliafico, Veltman, Traore, Dolberg).

Not even the issue bro. DumbOne hasnt watched Fulham last season. They are capable of competing for FA Cup and Carabao. Additionally, the EPL is a bigger stage and more competitive. Not only would he improve playing against better players and being coached by a better coach, he will have a chance to showcase himself to bigger clubs and then find his way to CL/EPL title.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The academy players among those I listed suggest the opposite.
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

danfo driver wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:15 pm

Not even the issue bro. DumbOne hasnt watched Fulham last season. They are capable of competing for FA Cup and Carabao. Additionally, the EPL is a bigger stage and more competitive. Not only would he improve playing against better players and being coached by a better coach, he will have a chance to showcase himself to bigger clubs and then find his way to CL/EPL title.
Abegi wetin unah dey argue self ? Can you compare Ajax developmental programme to Fulham ? What is the pedigree of Fulham compared to Ajax ? It is much easier to transit from Ajax to an elite/bigger club, that is a fact. Goalkeeper Onana currently with Manchester United is one of the numerous testaments of Ajax developmental programme.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

You seem to be on the wrong forum. Bassey is a full professional and isn't engaging in developmental football. I believe there is a youth football forum. You may want to check that out. Take care.
onovo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:28 pm

Abegi wetin unah dey argue self ? Can you compare Ajax developmental programme to Fulham ? What is the pedigree of Fulham compared to Ajax ? It is much easier to transit from Ajax to an elite/bigger club, that is a fact. Goalkeeper Onana currently with Manchester United is one of the numerous testaments of Ajax developmental programme.
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

danfo driver wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:23 pm You seem to be on the wrong forum. Bassey is a full professional and isn't engaging in developmental football. I believe there is a youth football forum. You may want to check that out. Take care.

Just abusive words, no substance. No time. :boo:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

He said:

1. "you seem to be on the wrong forum."

2. "I believe there is a youth football forum. You may want to check that out."

3. "Take care."

Are abusive words :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Nahhhh.. guys! I am more confident about what I said some weeks ago. There is no way Nigerian women do not laugh at us - Nigerian men. We are one of the weakest, feminine and shamelesss men in the world. Tufiakwa! There is no way! A man read my comments and said even "take care" is abusive. And you thin a woman will not look at him and just shake her head in disgust? There is absolutely no way that this guy is in a relationship with a woman and she says "Please dont forget to take the trash out" and he wont start crying to her family that she abused him. No way! :oops: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Kai!! I miss the days were men were men! See what we have these days. Tufia! :oops:

onovo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:08 pm
danfo driver wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:23 pm You seem to be on the wrong forum. Bassey is a full professional and isn't engaging in developmental football. I believe there is a youth football forum. You may want to check that out. Take care.

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

onovo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:08 pm

I actually don't see anything abusive in the previous post or maybe i'm missing the context but he's spot on as anybody over the age of 23 is way past the developmental stage
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Only Nigerians value low level clubs that show face in the Champions League to make up the numbers. Perhaps he should just move to the Israeli League since some of its clubs play in the Champions League too.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:45 am Only Nigerians value low level clubs that show face in the Champions League to make up the numbers. Perhaps he should just move to the Israeli League since some of its clubs play in the Champions League too.

You've been on my shiit list, but this was a serious yabb.. move to the Israeli league just for champs league Lmao

Your response actually proves how very limited some like wiseone is intellectually. Shocking he calls himself wiseone
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

How anyone can consider Fulham a better club than Ajax is shocking!
I wish Bassey well, but this is not a smart footballing move...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

txj wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:58 am How anyone can consider Fulham a better club than Ajax is shocking!
He was frozen out at Ajax , new coaching staff, etc. Fulham came for him .
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

What makes Ajax a better club other than their PAST glory that was over 30 years ago? At least at Fulham he will be competing against real world class players whenever they againt play top clubs like Man U, Arsenal (debatable), Chelsea, Liverpool, Man city, etc. He will never face such caliber players in the Dutch league. Therefore it's dumb to think playing at Ajax of today is better than playing in the EPL.
txj wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:58 am How anyone can consider Fulham a better club than Ajax is shocking!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

By God's grace, we will all be here next year. We will find out who was right on this. :wink:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:03 am
By God's grace, we will all be here next year. We will find out who was right on this. :wink:

We don't have to wait that long...
Fulham is a championship level team. Its wired into their DNA :D

Ajax is an elite caliber team in all aspects of the sport. The fact that they didn't win the league last season changes nothing...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:10 am
He was frozen out at Ajax , new coaching staff, etc. Fulham came for him .

I wish him well but its not a good football move. And once Tim Ream returns he likely will go to the bench.

Hopefully he fights for his place this time

onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

txj wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:17 pm

Ajax is an elite caliber team in all aspects of the sport. The fact that they didn't win the league last season changes nothing...
Abeg tell dem :thumb:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:17 pm

I think you are arguing with the wrong person. The argument you are having is the one you should be having with 1Naija, maybe.

The argument I am having with you is NOT whether Fulham is bigger than Ajax. That will be a laughable argument. :lol: :lol: Even I was laughing when I was typing it.

The argument I am having with you is whether Bassey made the right choice to move to an EPL team (Fulham) [His other option was Brighton, a smaller club than Fulham]. And my analysis is we can determine whether it was the right choice by his improvement over the season, due to his performance against some of the top players in the world and then in the end, based on the trajectory of his career -- due to the exposure, which team will come in for him.

By God's grace we will all be here to see whether he made the right choice. :D