Gusau: “Most of our coaches don’t have any real grasp of tactics and technique

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Gusau: “Most of our coaches don’t have any real grasp of tactics and technique

Post by Damunk »

This is more like it but it can’t end here.

Participants praise NFF as CAF’s first-ever coaching instructors’ course ends
Posted By: adminon: July 18, 2023
Participants at the first-ever CAF Coaching Instructors’ Course held in Nigeria 6th -15th July have hailed the leadership of Nigeria Football Federation for working assiduously to ensure that the course became a reality.

The course content included classroom and practical modules handled by CAF Elite Instructor and FIFA Technical Expert Abrham Mebratu, and 15 of the best coaches in Nigeria were involved in the pace-setting train-the-trainers on-field drills and theoretical grills.

President of NFF, Alhaji Ibrahim Musa Gusau, who attended the closing ceremony, said he was fulfilled that the first-ever course has finally taken place, opening the gate for more of such courses for Nigerian coaches to really develop themselves.

“Without any disrespect meant, the truth is that most of our coaches are just calling themselves ‘coaches’ without having any real grasp of modern tactics and techniques. With this course, we can now begin to see positive changes as the new instructors will be encouraged to organize courses for the benefit of colleagues.”

Augustine Eguavoen, NFF Technical Director, who was among the group of 15 participants, said: “It was an interesting experience for me. Now, we have 15 coaching instructors in Nigeria who can organize coaching courses for their colleagues. It is a great feeling and our coaches will be the better for it.”

Eguavoen and staff worked their socks off for weeks putting the dots and marks in the right places, and he says he feels fulfilled that everything went as planned.

“Mr Mebratu is a genius, a hard working one at that. Tireless and well-grounded. I believe that our coaches, including myself, gained so much from the course,” Eguavoen added.

The group of 15 also included president of the Nigeria Football Coaches Association, Isah Ladan Bosso (who recently took the Flying Eagles to the quarter finals of the FIFA U20 World Cup in Argentina), former Super Eagles’ captain Daniel Amokachi, Alphonsus Dike, Stanley Eguma, Wemimo Oni Mathew, Henry Abiodun, Sam John Obuh, Edema Fuludu, Bala Nikyu and Lawrence Ndaks.

Also at the closing ceremony were NFF 1st Vice President, Chief Felix Anyansi-Agwu and Executive Committee members, Alhaji Sharif Rabiu Inuwa and Alhaji Babagana Kalli.

https://www.thenff.com/participants-pra ... urse-ends/
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Gusau: “Most of our coaches don’t have any real grasp of tactics and technique

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:56 am This is more like it but it can’t end here.
The 15 instructors should not start to train the junior coaches. And hopefully, they themselves can attend regular refresher courses.

I wonder what criteria was used to select the 15.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Gusau: “Most of our coaches don’t have any real grasp of tactics and technique

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:21 pm
Damunk wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:56 am This is more like it but it can’t end here.
The 15 instructors should not start to train the junior coaches. And hopefully, they themselves can attend regular refresher courses.

I wonder what criteria was used to select the 15.
No idea.
But maybe those in the know might recognise some kind of rationale from the names mentioned:

“The group of 15 also included president of the Nigeria Football Coaches Association, Isah Ladan Bosso (who recently took the Flying Eagles to the quarter finals of the FIFA U20 World Cup in Argentina), former Super Eagles’ captain Daniel Amokachi, Alphonsus Dike, Stanley Eguma, Wemimo Oni Mathew, Henry Abiodun, Sam John Obuh, Edema Fuludu, Bala Nikyu and Lawrence Ndaks.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...change that quote comment by his esteemed highness to:
Re: Gusau: “Most of our administrators don’t have any real grasp of administering and conducting"
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mcal wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:33 pm ...change that quote comment by his esteemed highness to:
Re: Gusau: “Most of our administrators don’t have any real grasp of administering and conducting"
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The irony did strike me when I read his words.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:33 pm
mcal wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:33 pm ...change that quote comment by his esteemed highness to:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The irony did strike me when I read his words.
...kind of don't blame fraud, they do take Nigerians for fools.
Speak any big english they'll fall for it, accept it.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

So only 15 handpicked coaches. What about Finidi, Amunike and etc
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

Positives: Radical honesty, and taking advantage of a CAF initiative.

I believe a SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats) analysis has been made. One of the three pillars (the others being players, and operational excellence) for elevated team performance for all age groups, male or female is being publicly addressed. He should be applauded for that.

Pinnick shared same sentiments and more re the local coaches but apparently did not put any semblance of effort to address their deficiencies. Pinnick was about ready made as opposed to development, and transformation.

Expanding the pool of motivated, technically astute coaches is a win-win for all. Improved club continental outcomes, and global competition outcomes, etc. are just one of the immediate / short term impacts. On the long term, elimination or minimal dependency on foreign, journeymen coaches.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Participants at the first-ever CAF Coaching Instructors’ Course held in Nigeria 6th -15th July have hailed the leadership of Nigeria Football Federation for working assiduously to ensure that the course became a reality.

The course content included classroom and practical modules handled by CAF Elite Instructor and FIFA Technical Expert Abrham Mebratu, and 15 of the best coaches in Nigeria were involved in the pace-setting train-the-trainers on-field drills and theoretical grills.

President of NFF, Alhaji Ibrahim Musa Gusau, who attended the closing ceremony, said he was fulfilled that the first-ever course has finally taken place, opening the gate for more of such courses for Nigerian coaches to really develop themselves.

“Without any disrespect meant, the truth is that most of our coaches are just calling themselves ‘coaches’ without having any real grasp of modern tactics and techniques. With this course, we can now begin to see positive changes as the new instructors will be encouraged to organize courses for the benefit of colleagues.”

Augustine Eguavoen, NFF Technical Director, who was among the group of 15 participants, said: “It was an interesting experience for me. Now, we have 15 coaching instructors in Nigeria who can organize coaching courses for their colleagues. It is a great feeling and our coaches will be the better for it.”

Eguavoen and staff worked their socks off for weeks putting the dots and marks in the right places, and he says he feels fulfilled that everything went as planned.

“Mr Mebratu is a genius, a hard working one at that. Tireless and well-grounded. I believe that our coaches, including myself, gained so much from the course,” Eguavoen added.

The group of 15 also included president of the Nigeria Football Coaches Association, Isah Ladan Bosso (who recently took the Flying Eagles to the quarter finals of the FIFA U20 World Cup in Argentina), former Super Eagles’ captain Daniel Amokachi, Alphonsus Dike, Stanley Eguma, Wemimo Oni Mathew, Henry Abiodun, Sam John Obuh, Edema Fuludu, Bala Nikyu and Lawrence Ndaks.

Also at the closing ceremony were NFF 1st Vice President, Chief Felix Anyansi-Agwu and Executive Committee members, Alhaji Sharif Rabiu Inuwa and Alhaji Babagana Kalli.

I'D LIKE TO SEE AN INSTITUTIONALIZED APPROACH TO COACHING

While this recent course can be helpful, I don't see such "one off" doing much to address coaching problem in Nigeria - it's to be more organized and more readily available. Things I'd do:

1) Attach it to a Nigerian university (possibly in collaboration with varsities in other African countries) as a special program schedule in regular intervals.
2) Include coaching on other sports (track & field, basketball, volleyball, etc.)
3) Make it open to other African countries.
4) It should have three parts after which a certificate is issued:
(a) Courses such as physiology (human body/injuries), psychology (understanding people), basic finance (team funding & contracts), public speaking (press & public communication), basic law, a foreign language (French or Spanish), etc.
(b) Several seminars (like the one that is the subject of this thread) with foreign and local subject matter experts.
(c) Apprenticeship of two years with a legit clubside
With this Nigeria, and participating African countries, should not need to go on shopping trips for journeyman foreign coaches. Maybe refereeing can be added also.
Bell
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Bell wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:35 am

While this recent course can be helpful, I don't see such "one off" doing much to address coaching problem in Nigeria - it's to be more organized and more readily available. Things I'd do:

1) Attach it to a Nigerian university (possibly in collaboration with varsities in other African countries) as a special program schedule in regular intervals.
2) Include coaching on other sports (track & field, basketball, volleyball, etc.)
(a) Courses such as physiology (human body/injuries), psychology (understanding people), basic finance (team funding & contracts), public speaking (press & public communication), basic law, a foreign language (French or Spanish), etc.
(b) Several seminars (like the one that is the subject of this thread) with foreign and local subject matter experts.
With this Nigeria, and participating African countries, should not need to go on shopping trips for journeyman foreign coaches. Maybe refereeing can be added also.
Bell
Some really cool ideas but a bit of an overkill in my estimation. How long do you propose it should take to certify a coach under this scheme? Sounds like it will take an awful long time.

I don’t see a program such as this as a program for coaching aspirants. Rather, it should be directed at existing coaches, rookie and experienced coaches alike, with the aim of updating and enhancing their technical and human management skills.

Things like physiology, funding and contracts are really not within the purview of coaches. Professional clubs should already have professional people with backgrounds respectively in sports medicine and financing. Moreover, I don’t understand how the knowledge of basic law or foreign languages will enhance basic coaching skills. A coach’s willingness to adhere to club policy and FIFA regulations are far more critical to his success as a coach.

I do believe that your scheme can be easily tweaked to fit my model❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I’ve always thought Nigeria should have a national ‘School of Football’ where coaching, management, refereeing, football science, football administration and the business of football are taught in different ‘faculties’.
Different levels, basic and advanced.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:07 am

Bell
Some really cool ideas but a bit of an overkill in my estimation. How long do you propose it should take to certify a coach under this scheme? Sounds like it will take an awful long time.

I don’t see a program such as this as a program for coaching aspirants. Rather, it should be directed at existing coaches, rookie and experienced coaches alike, with the aim of updating and enhancing their technical and human management skills.

Things like physiology, funding and contracts are really not within the purview of coaches. Professional clubs should already have professional people with backgrounds respectively in sports medicine and financing. Moreover, I don’t understand how the knowledge of basic law or foreign languages will enhance basic coaching skills. A coach’s willingness to adhere to club policy and FIFA regulations are far more critical to his success as a coach.

Cheers.

YOU'RE RIGHT

What I proposed doesn't have to be the final word: just a starting point. You, myself and well-meaning people can put our heads together and massage it to achieve an optimal system. That said, I think it helps for a coach to have more than strictly football knowledge to operate with confidence. What I proposed is NOT a full blown program but merely the basics.

Take public speaking for example, you don't want a Nigerian coach who may know what he's/she's doing tactically but falls on his/her face when he/she comes before the world press. Psychology? She's/he's dealing with people and basic understanding of what makes people tick may help him/her in "person" management. When I went through college (and I'm sure you too) I took classes like law even though a law degree was never my goal. Physiologically, an understanding of things like joints, soft tissue, lungs, concussion, etc can't hurt.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Damunk wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:13 am I’ve always thought Nigeria should have a national ‘School of Football’ where coaching, management, refereeing, football science, football administration and the business of football are taught in different ‘faculties’.
WE'RE SAYING ESSENTIALLY THE SAME THING, EXCEPT THAT...

...I would expand it to include other sports. Coaching different sports have a lot in common and NIgeria/Africa needs them trained coaches in all of them.
Bell
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Bell wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:07 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:07 am

Bell

Cheers.

YOU'RE RIGHT

What I proposed doesn't have to be the final word: just a starting point. You, myself and well-meaning people can put our heads together and massage it to achieve an optimal system. That said, I think it helps for a coach to have more than strictly football knowledge to operate with confidence. What I proposed is NOT a full blown program but merely the basics.

Take public speaking for example, you don't want a Nigerian coach who may know what he's/she's doing tactically but falls on his/her face when he/she comes before the world press. Psychology? She's/he's dealing with people and basic understanding of what makes people tick may help him/her in "person" management. When I went through college (and I'm sure you too) I took classes like law even though a law degree was never my goal. Physiologically, an understanding of things like joints, soft tissue, lungs, concussion, etc can't hurt.
Bell
Bell,

We are essentially on the same page… and I do think that psychology and public speaking, in particular, are important tools in a coach’s repertoire❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:12 am
Damunk wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:13 am I’ve always thought Nigeria should have a national ‘School of Football’ where coaching, management, refereeing, football science, football administration and the business of football are taught in different ‘faculties’.
WE'RE SAYING ESSENTIALLY THE SAME THING, EXCEPT THAT...

...I would expand it to include other sports. Coaching different sports have a lot in common and NIgeria/Africa needs them trained coaches in all of them.
Bell
Yes, I agree.
I was reading somewhere recently how cross-fertilization of ideas from coaches of different sports has been used to great advantage.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

The problem with ideas is they are just what they are....ideas. Can you execute them??? What is on ground are very meagre resources, a lot of nigerian institutions have falling behind with dilapidated structures and the people left in charge are often not the best qualified but those that can put up with the current circumstances. It is why some move for the finished, ready made products.

Neither the NFF nor govt has the means or resources to do a lot of what needs to be done. We have a culture and mentality of those in govt or govt parastatals should be the one to fix things or make things happen. When Canada started to get serious about football, it was the private sector that brought about the development. The soccer clubs from grassroots are owned by people like you and I with a passion for the game, willing to invest and hire coaches and form clubs where kids come to join for a fee. They also solicit sponsorship from local businesses. My daughter plays in one of these clubs. Sometimes it's ex pro players, there's one here joint owned with Angola's 2006 WC goalkeeper and some ex pros from England. The coaches are paid fulltime or parttime, and the clubs include Fifa grade trainings for them. Usually a technical director (often from Europe) is hired to oversee the football side of things, coaching, academy, practices etc. They work with the local schools to make use of their fields and for winter, the bigger clubs have indoor turf facilities. These clubs on their own, pull coaches from clubs in Europe to come and train their coaches or run clinics for the kids. They even offer interested parents a chance to take these courses and gain qualifications.

A local association in the city administers the badges and qualification processes and so far are in charge of training referees from as young as pre-teens. The canadian equivalent of the NFF have issues too when it comes treatment of players with pay, flying them on economy class and the womens team complaining about their pay. They can barely take care of their employees' training needs talkless anyone holding them responsible for the development of the game. It's really down to the private sector and in return, govt could offer protections such as psuedo monopolies and an enabling environment. Offer tax breaks and other incentives that make it more difficult for companies that don't buy in to the social licence to compete with those that do. Our biggest corporations and most successful/affluent individuals should be offering these facilities, owning clubs and getting professionals involved. Companies with a certain level of profit/income should be made to participate by building arenas and facilities. It should not be left to the NFF or sports ministry.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Exactly 😂😂😂
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Sunset wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:13 pm
Exactly 😂😂😂
And this keeps happening year after year. Is it that hard to draw up league schedule fixtures for one season?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

I'll chime in with my usual reference to what works for Croatia, as I follow youth development there closely.

Croatian coaches do not emphasize tactics. Technique, absolutely. The primary aim of Croatian academies are:

1) Coverage: everybody gets a chance and look for a long long time.

2) Skill and individualism over team cohesion and results: We don't eliminate due to age based club result.

3) Exposure: play in various game across age bands.

4) Slowly but intelligently hone tactics as a secondary goal...trying to find what position a player is suited for.

Croatians discuss how Germans over coach and put too much emphasis on size, pace, and power. Never mind the USA, where players are eliminated in age based competitions exactly on such criteria. Croatians realize a Luka Modric or Mateo Kovacic might take time to develop physically.

Structurally, here is how it works in Croatia.
* Every 1st div team has an academy and association of academies.

* There are age blended teams, but basically any player can find a home.

* You play regionally, across Croatia, and occasionally across the border against foreign kids.

* A healthy % of foreigners are included. 37% of 1st division players are foreign...keeping in mind many are Croatians from Bosnia, Serbia, as well as Albanians, Bosnian Muslims...but you also get Dani Olmo leaving Barcelona academy at age 16 to opt for Dinamo. We've number of Africans too.

* Exposure to pros...you'd be surprised how often top Croatian players come back to their roots, teaching and demonstration...inspiring.

* Again, you don't get eliminated if your team sucks or you're small and weaker...they find the right team for you. By about age 15, you decide if you forgo a full education path, as high schools accommodate your football...and you certainly are not going to college.

Croatian football philosophy basically says: pick the best 11, find tactics that suit them...but teach to skill, ball possession, and improvisation...while, of course, adhering to basic tactics which can be learned while the other stuff cannot.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

mate wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:25 pm I'll chime in with my usual reference to what works for Croatia, as I follow youth development there closely.

Croatian coaches do not emphasize tactics. Technique, absolutely. The primary aim of Croatian academies are:

2) Skill and individualism over team cohesion and results: We don't eliminate due to age based club result.

4) Slowly but intelligently hone tactics as a secondary goal...trying to find what position a player is suited for.

Croatians discuss how Germans over coach and put too much emphasis on size, pace, and power. Never mind the USA, where players are eliminated in age based competitions exactly on such criteria. Croatians realize a Luka Modric or Mateo Kovacic might take time to develop physically.

* You play regionally, across Croatia, and occasionally across the border against foreign kids.

* A healthy % of foreigners are included. 37% of 1st division players are foreign...keeping in mind many are Croatians from Bosnia, Serbia, as well as Albanians, Bosnian Muslims...but you also get Dani Olmo leaving Barcelona academy at age 16 to opt for Dinamo. We've number of Africans too.

* Exposure to pros...you'd be surprised how often top Croatian players come back to their roots, teaching and demonstration...inspiring.

* Again, you don't get eliminated if your team sucks or you're small and weaker...they find the right team for you. By about age 15, you decide if you forgo a full education path, as high schools accommodate your football...and you certainly are not going to college.

Croatian football philosophy basically says: pick the best 11, find tactics that suit them...but teach to skill, ball possession, and improvisation...while, of course, adhering to basic tactics which can be learned while the other stuff cannot.
That's brilliant! They find the talent first, improve the skills then apply tactics that suit the talent. No wonder your coaches stay on the job for a long time.

Nigerians do it backwards. We find the coach with the best so called tactics , throw camp open to attract talent then have the coach impose his tactics on the talent we find in a 7 day camp That's how we'll win the WC.
OCCUPY NFF!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Lolly wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:41 pm
Sunset wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:13 pm
Exactly 😂😂😂
And this keeps happening year after year. Is it that hard to draw up league schedule fixtures for one season?
...and one wonder what they were doing during off season.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

felarey wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:08 pm The problem with ideas is they are just what they are....ideas. Can you execute them??? What is on ground are very meagre resources, a lot of nigerian institutions have falling behind with dilapidated structures and the people left in charge are often not the best qualified but those that can put up with the current circumstances. It is why some move for the finished, ready made products.

Neither the NFF nor govt has the means or resources to do a lot of what needs to be done. We have a culture and mentality of those in govt or govt parastatals should be the one to fix things or make things happen. When Canada started to get serious about football, it was the private sector that brought about the development. The soccer clubs from grassroots are owned by people like you and I with a passion for the game, willing to invest and hire coaches and form clubs where kids come to join for a fee. They also solicit sponsorship from local businesses. My daughter plays in one of these clubs. Sometimes it's ex pro players, there's one here joint owned with Angola's 2006 WC goalkeeper and some ex pros from England. The coaches are paid fulltime or parttime, and the clubs include Fifa grade trainings for them. Usually a technical director (often from Europe) is hired to oversee the football side of things, coaching, academy, practices etc. They work with the local schools to make use of their fields and for winter, the bigger clubs have indoor turf facilities. These clubs on their own, pull coaches from clubs in Europe to come and train their coaches or run clinics for the kids. They even offer interested parents a chance to take these courses and gain qualifications.

A local association in the city administers the badges and qualification processes and so far are in charge of training referees from as young as pre-teens. The canadian equivalent of the NFF have issues too when it comes treatment of players with pay, flying them on economy class and the womens team complaining about their pay. They can barely take care of their employees' training needs talkless anyone holding them responsible for the development of the game. It's really down to the private sector and in return, govt could offer protections such as psuedo monopolies and an enabling environment. Offer tax breaks and other incentives that make it more difficult for companies that don't buy in to the social licence to compete with those that do. Our biggest corporations and most successful/affluent individuals should be offering these facilities, owning clubs and getting professionals involved. Companies with a certain level of profit/income should be made to participate by building arenas and facilities. It should not be left to the NFF or sports ministry.

NIGERIA DOESN'T NEED TO RE-INVENT THE WHEEL, BUT...

...just as Canada came up with a process that is suited to its conditions, Nigeria should so do. Everytime a need emerges, it should not become another endless worldwide search for a foreign model that may prove an ill-fit. Surely, there are enough local brains to develop the kind of institution we're discussing here.
Bell
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

mate wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:25 pm I'll chime in with my usual reference to what works for Croatia, as I follow youth development there closely.

What you've described as skill, ball possession and improvisation is something the average Nigerian kid gets to hone formally or informally. Majority develop informally without any organized coaching or training. Problem is beyond that, there is a chronic lack of facilities and equipment. Last december, I saw some guys playing football under a bridge (overpass across from Dolphin estate) in Lagos. The guy I was with told me it was an actual football academy going on under the bridge. So we stopped to watch for a bit. The guys were playing on red earth, lacked proper kits and had makeshift nets, when I scoffed at him calling it an academy, he insisted it was one and that they sometimes invite scouts to come and watch their best recruits. Then proceeded to list other similar academies in the area and around Lagos. I must say, the guys looked talented. Some players make it to local club sides and even Europe I'm told.

Better and more organized academies do exist around the country but it's not a case of any player finding a home. If you're not connected, you'd need luck or an individual's benevolence to get in. Nigeria's issue is different being that there is a huge gap in terms of facilities, organization and exposure. Heartbreaking condition in a football mad country. Closing that gap will require the private sector with incentives from the govt.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS