10 observations I would like to make about this match

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
10 observations I would like to make about this match

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] First of all, it did not tell us anything about Peseiro's tactics going forward. He played a 4-2-4 formation, which would have been suicidal against quality opposition

[2] Starting Osimhen, Awoniyi, Lookman and Iheanacho together against say Germany, England, Brazil, Argentina, Holland, etc, would have seen us chop four in the first half

[3] I like the idea of trying out a new leftback in Bruno Onyemaechi but alas, the Boavista man was not properly tested as the opposition was too weak

[4] We could not tell if Francis Uzoho can be trusted again, as he had virtually nothing to do

[5] I like the fact that Peseiro dropped 30-year old William Ekong but why was he not brave enough to field say Jordan Torunarigha

[6] This team is still lacking a quality playmaker like say Ebere Eze or Michael Olise

[7] I would have loved us to play a team like say Morocco, Portugal, Colombia, Belgium or Croatia today, so we could try out say a 4-5-1, 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 formation

[8] For me, we need at least three ball winners in the middle of the park. Against Sao Tome & Principe, we only played Ndidi and Onyeka. Against quality opposition, they would get roasted

[9] I am perplexed as to why Ndidi was given the armband ahead of Osimhen. For me, Osimhen is a natural leader and should captain the team

[10] Personally, I am not happy with Peseiro handling out World Cup qualifiers. I would rather someone like Herve Renard be in charge of the team.
Igugu
Egg
Egg
Re: 10 observations I would like to make about this match

Post by Igugu »

Welcome back Ayo.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:10 pm [1] First of all, it did not tell us anything about Peseiro's tactics going forward. He played a 4-2-4 formation, which would have been suicidal against quality opposition

[2] Starting Osimhen, Awoniyi, Lookman and Iheanacho together against say Germany, England, Brazil, Argentina, Holland, etc, would have seen us chop four in the first half
Whats the point of this? You know for a fact that teams play one way against top opposition and a different way against a team they have beaten 10-0.

[8] For me, we need at least three ball winners in the middle of the park. Against Sao Tome & Principe, we only played Ndidi and Onyeka. Against quality opposition, they would get roasted
:oops: Why are you repeating the same thing?
[9] I am perplexed as to why Ndidi was given the armband ahead of Osimhen. For me, Osimhen is a natural leader and should captain the team
You are perplexed? You have been supporting the Eagles for more than 50 years and you dont know that we have a standing tradition/rule relating to captainship? Did you really want to use the word "perplexed?" I mean, how can you even be perplexed about something you know about? Its like walking out and saying "I am perplexed my car is red." Dude!! You bought a red car, what did you expect? to see it green???? WTH??
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Against South Africa in the World Cup qualifiers, this 4-2-4 will lead to a disaster. Weill will not qualify with this!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:35 pm Against South Africa in the World Cup qualifiers, this 4-2-4 will lead to a disaster. Weill will not qualify with this!
Peseiro actually played a 433 when we took on Portugal. So its clear he respected them.

but he played 442 against Mexico and Ecuador, Algeria, and also pretty much every African team we have played other than Sierra Leone in the last match.

I'm sorry but you cannot lineup 442 (with the wrong suited players) even against average African opponents, let alone the likes of Algeria, Mexico, Ecuador.

I still maintain with the players at our disposal we should do a 352, but Pesiero is yet to once try it. This is a formation that Rohr used a number of times, but I feel at the time with the players available 433 was our best bet. With the emergence of our top quality strike force its clear Pesieo wants to utilize at least 2 of them, but he keeps going with the unbalanced 442 rather than a 352.

I've said many times if he wants to go with 442 he needs to choose a Support Striker who can effectively drop back and play as a MIDFIELDER.

Nacho is not that player, and he hasn't really tried anybody else.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:35 pm Against South Africa in the World Cup qualifiers, this 4-2-4 will lead to a disaster. Weill will not qualify with this!
Why do you believe he will play 4-2-4 against South Africa? Have you spoken to him? Had tea and biscuits, perhaps?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:43 pm
Peseiro actually played a 433 when we took on Portugal. So its clear he respected them.

but he played 442 against Mexico and Ecuador, Algeria, and also pretty much every African team we have played other than Sierra Leone in the last match.

I'm sorry but you cannot lineup 442 (with the wrong suited players) even against average African opponents, let alone the likes of Algeria, Mexico, Ecuador.

I still maintain with the players at our disposal we should do a 352, but Pesiero is yet to once try it. This is a formation that Rohr used a number of times, but I feel at the time with the players available 433 was our best bet. With the emergence of our top quality strike force its clear Pesieo wants to utilize at least 2 of them, but he keeps going with the unbalanced 442 rather than a 352.

I've said many times if he wants to go with 442 he needs to choose a Support Striker who can effectively drop back and play as a MIDFIELDER.

Nacho is not that player, and he hasn't really tried anybody else.
What did you notice about Boniface yesterday? His instinct seems to be to "get in on the play." Unlike Awoniyi, I noticed he drifted wide and deep quite a few times.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Boniface is definately more versataile and skillfull and offers more than Awoniyi IMO, but there are question marks about his speed.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:32 pm Boniface is definately more versataile and skillfull and offers more than Awoniyi IMO, but there are question marks about his speed.
Yea, its sad isnt it. Lots of quesiton marks over Lewandowski's and Kane's speed as well. Shame what they could have been if they were like Mbappe. :(
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

:D :D :D I love how Ayo riffs and then divides the rant into 10 portions and calls them “points”

On formation.

The way Ndidi played for much of the first half meant he was actually often a 3rd centre back when we had possession with converted the full backs to wing-backs and allowed Lookman and Iheanacho to play narrower.

In those moments, it looked like 3-5-2, albeit a hugely attack minded one.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:36 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:32 pm Boniface is definately more versataile and skillfull and offers more than Awoniyi IMO, but there are question marks about his speed.
Yea, its sad isnt it. Lots of quesiton marks over Lewandowski's and Kane's speed as well. Shame what they could have been if they were like Mbappe. :(

Not sold on the idea of an attacking player behind the two strikers, unless you have a serious grafter and creator like Antoine Griezmann, which Nacho is most definitely not...

You cannot play with that number of forwards without risking imbalance of the team
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

He played a 4-4-2 not 4-2-4. We were playing Sao Tome, a team that would struggle to keep possession or get even one shot on goal so a 4-4-2 was ok.

For 4-4-2 can work if we have 2 true box to box CMs and a forward that can drop deep. Though it is not my preferred formation. I think Akpom or Lookman could possibly play the supporting striker role better than any of the other forwards I've seen so far (Kele, Moffi, Awoniyi).
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

olu wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:19 pm

For 4-4-2 can work if we have 2 true box to box CMs and a forward that can drop deep. Though it is not my preferred formation. I think Akpom or Lookman could possibly play the supporting striker role better than any of the other forwards I've seen so far (Kele, Moffi, Awoniyi).
Exactly.

If it's 442 then the SS role would have to be Lookman, Iwobi, even a player like Dennis.

If coach wants to use 2 actual strikers then he needs to use a 352 where the SS doesn't need midfield responsibilities. Then you could use any of Awoniyi, Moffi, Nacho, Boniface.

Though I do wonder if Boniface could work in a 442. He has the skills but would need to provide the workrate.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:17 pm

Not sold on the idea of an attacking player behind the two strikers, unless you have a serious grafter and creator like Antoine Griezmann, which Nacho is most definitely not...

You cannot play with that number of forwards without risking imbalance of the team
i dont think that is what Vancity meant. I think he meant that if we are playing with 2 strikers, it is better to pair on 9 with a second one that has the instinct to drop deep and wide. there was one occasion i saw osimhen and awoniyi run into the same space and I almost lost my sh1t! a pair of Osimhen/Awoniyi and Boniface/Orban compliments.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:37 pm

i dont think that is what Vancity meant. I think he meant that if we are playing with 2 strikers, it is better to pair on 9 with a second one that has the instinct to drop deep and wide. there was one occasion i saw osimhen and awoniyi run into the same space and I almost lost my sh1t! a pair of Osimhen/Awoniyi and Boniface/Orban compliments.

I understand what he was referring to. Was just taking the discussion further..

I don't see how those two could complement each other. Very little about Peseiro makes sense to me...

For instance, you look at the french formulation AND YOU CAN SEE THE SENSE IN IT- for his speed, you can have Mbappe drop or go wide. either way he's devastating and breaks lines...

Thuram stays central, but can vacate this and go wide. He has the experience having started out wide; plus the speed and power.

Neither Osimhen or Taiwo is at their best going wide, or even dropping down into MF.
Last edited by txj on Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:00 pm
danfo driver wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:37 pm

I understand what he was referring to. Was just taking the discussion further..

I don't see how those two could complement each other. Very little about Peseiro makes sense to me...
My brother, na wetin we go do. We don begin lick the soup already, whether salt no dey, na story for another day.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Can't put all the blame on Peseiro. Even though I am not a huge fan of him. The NFF has failed the Eagles. As we speak there are no friendlies scheduled for the October window. We need quality friendlies to test the players. Sao Tome can't even beat Sporting Lagos or Shooting Stars. The players have a false sense of confidence. Remember the old saying Iron sharpen Iron. A blunt instrument can't sharpen Iron.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Did Arterta the choker fail Arsenal when he choked an 11 point lead? :lol: :lol: imagine speaking of bluntness... when your team is filled with a bunch of losers and chokers. :woot:
ohenhen1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:00 pm Can't put all the blame on Peseiro. Even though I am not a huge fan of him. The NFF has failed the Eagles. As we speak there are no friendlies scheduled for the October window. We need quality friendlies to test the players. Sao Tome can't even beat Sporting Lagos or Shooting Stars. The players have a false sense of confidence. Remember the old saying Iron sharpen Iron. A blunt instrument can't sharpen Iron.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Peseiro's team will always struggle to retain possession in games. He needs three two-way players ion the middle of the park at the very least.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

I 100% agree with AYO! That midfield will get roasted against a good African team, South American, or European team.

But, AYO Herve Renard? We can barely afford Coach "prostate" but you want us to hire a very good coach like Renard? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Undertaker wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:36 pm
I 100% agree with AYO! That midfield will get roasted against a good African team, South American, or European team.

But, AYO Herve Renard? We can barely afford Coach "prostate" but you want us to hire a very good coach like Renard? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Since Ayo is pretending like he is not seeing my post :rotf: :rotf: , let me ask you the same question Sir.

Do you think its normal for a coach to play one way at home vs a team he has beaten 10-0; and play a different way vs. a stronger team?
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:40 pm

Since Ayo is pretending like he is not seeing my post :rotf: :rotf: , let me ask you the same question Sir.

Do you think its normal for a coach to play one way at home vs a team he has beaten 10-0; and play a different way vs. a stronger team?
Sir, did you watch our last match at home against Guinea-Bissau? However, yes it is normal to experiment with a very poor team at home if you are a good team. We aren't!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Undertaker wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:47 pm
danfo driver wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:40 pm

Sir, did you watch our last match at home against Guinea-Bissau? However, yes it is normal to experiment with a very poor team at home if you are a good team. We aren't!
Maybe, who knows, but we won 6-0.

Thanks for answering my question though. I was a bit confused as to whether I was the only one who knew that coaches play different formation/tactics against different opposition, based on the opposition's strength and context (e.g - home vs away game).