NOLLYWOOD: THIS PUBLICITY IS INVALUABLE!!!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
NOLLYWOOD: THIS PUBLICITY IS INVALUABLE!!!!

Post by Damunk »

BBC RADIO 94.9 FM LIVE IN A FEW MINUTES.
NICK MORAN ON 'NOLLYWOOD'.

He was on BBC1 TV BREAKFAST NEWS this morning.
BBC radio 4 a few days ago.

DON'T FORGET THE BBC THREE TONIGHT AT 9.30 PM.

So what do you guys think?

damunK
Last edited by Damunk on Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

I think, infact i know, this isnt soccer related.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Excerpts coming live from my keyboard!

"Biggest in the world...worth £80-90 million"

"Amazing incredible, feats"

"No formal film school"

"They've found their own ways of making films"

"The great thing was the cultural exchange"

"Conceited western way...thinking, I'm gonna show 'em how to make a proper film!" (Laugh)

"So full of admiration for these guys"

"Even on a tiny film over here there are 9 or 10 vehicles...but out there, they put it all on one truck"

"What I learnt, at the end of the day, with a small crew, is the film we've made is really really good"

Only 20mins airtime initially on the BBC...but it's longer"

"If you're a stupid white person trying to make a film in the roughest part of lagos, you're gonna get roughed up. Nigerians don't even do that!"

"Dont wanna dwell on the negatives cos that was my fault for filming in the wrong place...we got armed guards..but that happened to me in Brighton...just that if it happens in Nigeria, it's like big news here!"

"Nollywood explosion is partly cos the cinemas closed down years ago"

"250,00 copies sold of one film"

"Its digital cameras and computers out there, basicaly the same...People are learning as they go along".

"My director out there used to be a bank manager!"

"Fascinating study as far as guerilla film-making is concerned.."

"People should get to see the 20mins version.... A success for everyone. But the big slot is 11o'clock!"

Whats your verdict now, conspiracy theorists?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DaMunK
Last edited by Damunk on Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

AM WAITING FOR THIS PROGRAM ON BBC3, ACTAUALLY A RAPPER CALLED RUGGEDMAN EMAIL ABOUT THE GUY WHEN HE WAS IN NIGERIA.
I GO TRY RECORD AM SELF
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

Oyinbo man at his best!
"Dont wanna dwell on the negatives cos that was my fault for filming in the wrong place...we got armed guards..but that happened to me in Brighton...just that if it happens in Nigeria, it's like big news here!"

So why dwell on them in his original article?
"If you're a stupid white person trying to make a film in the roughest part of lagos, you're gonna get roughed up. Nigerians don't even do that!"

So why didn't he say that in his original article?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but lets call a spade a spade here. His original article was insensitive in parts!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

RudeBoy wrote:Oyinbo man at his best!

So why dwell on them in his original article?

So why didn't he say that in his original article?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but lets call a spade a spade here. His original article was insensitive in parts!
Because, my friend, it got spiked by the editors of The Guardian!
You aint listening mate! :oops:
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm not your mate my friend! :lol:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

Dont call me my friend, my friend :mrgreen:
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

Akure4Life wrote:Dont call me my friend, my friend :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

I saw the programme and it was a bit of an anti-climax, hardly memorable.
http://www.naijiant.com/
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Saw the Documentary and the film

Summary

Documentary - provided some insight into the Nigerian film industry so was interesting in that regard, but otherwise was just an average documentary and would have been better if he cut out all the "in this new democracy" crap.

The Film - Watched the 20 minute version of the film. The technical production was good but that would be expected. The story in my opinion was poor and would not sell at all in Nigeria. The dialogue was so obviously British in parts.

Example: Two guys want to rack and one says to the other "Do you want to have some?". You would never hear anyone outside England use an expression like that, not in the US, not in Canada and certainly not in Nigeria. It would be like hearing someone on Eastenders saying "Ol boy if you no vamoose now I go sound you"...

Also I believe that majority of Nigerian films fans are female and a film based around football I don't think will cut it, it addition it isn't aspirational enough for the Nigerian market.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

AreaDaddy wrote:Saw the Documentary and the film

Summary

Documentary - provided some insight into the Nigerian film industry so was interesting in that regard, but otherwise was just an average documentary and would have been better if he cut out all the "in this new democracy" crap.

The Film - Watched the 20 minute version of the film. The technical production was good but that would be expected. The story in my opinion was poor and would not sell at all in Nigeria. The dialogue was so obviously British in parts.

Example: Two guys want to rack and one says to the other "Do you want to have some?". You would never hear anyone outside England use an expression like that, not in the US, not in Canada and certainly not in Nigeria. It would be like hearing someone on Eastenders saying "Ol boy if you no vamoose now I go sound you"...

Also I believe that majority of Nigerian films fans are female and a film based around football I don't think will cut it, it addition it isn't aspirational enough for the Nigerian market.
Saw the documentary, I think it should be an eye opener for the Nigerian film industry. I think it should serve as a watershed for the next level. Some of the unprofessionalis displayed by some of the cast was appalling, arriving 5 hours late for a shoot was simply taking the biscuit,mobile phones ringing during sessions.

I think it is time our government look into setting up a film school to train from lighning to Camera usage. I am sure to cross over to the next level that is exporting our films to other countries.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I quite enjoyed the abbreviated version of the film, but maybe I'm biased.
I'm also looking at the hidden value of the brand name BBC behind it. Lets face it, the BBC is awesome, and what they say, goes (except when it comes to Hutton's report on B-Liar's govt) :lol:
Also, some amazing facts emerged, which not even we in Nigeria were aware of. Who would have believed Damunk or Rudeboy or ROSSIKE if it had been posted here that we were one of the world's top three movie makers?
It would have been like... :roll:
That post would have been deleted, and the author laughed out of court! :oops:

But the benefits, both obvious and less so are humungous. This is just an oportunity we just have to seize. Its a lifeline.

I just think back to the insults and general lack of respect we had to put up with here from much much lesser actors than Nick Moran when shooting Osuofia.
All that's now gonna change. I made sure I alerted some of the arse-holes we worked with to watch it. And they would have, cos it was Nick Moran.

As for entertainment value, I agree, Naija movies are snapped up mainly by women, but all the gangster movies that dominated our industry just a few years ago weren't particularly female-friendly.

And Prince. There is a film school in Nigeria. It's in Jos. Could do with much more investment though.

daMunK
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

Damunk: On a serious note who will this documentary benefit? The Nigerian actors? Nigerian films? The country as a whole? And how can the BBC do anything or want to do anything for Naija?

I thought it was a very enlightening documentary. Nick did a pretty good job. The film itself was good technically but the story line was weak. But bar Osuofia in London (I had to say that! :lol: ) and one or two others when are story lines not weak in Nigerian films? Therefore, it could be a hit!

I don't think we need a film school because guys are getting on with it there and making money. The films and filmmaking will evolve and get better with time!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Look guys don't let this documentary get to your heads. I wouldn't really call BBC 3 a serious channel. In my opinion it is a channel for blockheads. Ever seen the non-blondes?

Reading between the lines, I think the guy was taking the michael.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

The documentary cost me alot with wifey. :evil: She told me it was bed time but i insisted on watching the programme. At the end of the day, the programme was weeak and wifey slept off. :cry:
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Akure4Life wrote:The documentary cost me alot with wifey. :evil: She told me it was bed time but i insisted on watching the programme. At the end of the day, the programme was weeak and wifey slept off. :cry:
Well Wifey will come round as for me SE just throw sand into my job interview prep with the way they lost that opening match.