Surulere Stadium

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Surulere Stadium

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The Renovation was carried out by Sir Kesington Adebutu AKA BABA IJEBU.
Surulere has worn a new look after regrassing. The tracks were also changed and installation of a new scoreboard at the stadium.

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg
Re: Surulere Stadium

Post by DIMKA76 »

Looks ugly as far as the running track coordition and ext field colours are concerned.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I hope the FG can complete the renovation otherwise it would fall back into disrepair
I am happy
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

I hope the pitch renovation is of better quality than the Abuja pitch funded by Dangote.

Renovating the pitch only and not other parts of the stadium won’t be enough.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Until we learn to embrace a culture of maintenance, this is just a waste of resources. In 6 months after completion, the field will be used for church crusades/night vigil. Look at the condition today of all the stadiums built/renovated during Nigeria 99 compared to the stadium the US built/renovated during the 1994 World Cup.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

What is the justification for having two stadia next to each other?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:00 pm What is the justification for having two stadia next to each other?
Federal v State.

The state one had been there almost as long as the National Stadium and it was renovated for Nigeria ‘99.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

Can they put a covering roundabout the whole stadium? Is it possible?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Igugu wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:31 pm Can they put a covering roundabout the whole stadium? Is it possible?
Was thinking this exact same yesterday.
A huge canopy-like covering should be possible but the floodlights are so high up, how high would the canopy have to be?
Modern stadiums don’t even have those kind of floodlights any more. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

I was in the area a couple of months ago and the area is just too much of a dump...also there is a statue nearby of a player that looks like Kanu but had a number 9 or something.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:00 pm What is the justification for having two stadia next to each other?
Town planning in Lagos is ridiculous. Backward brains...
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kalani JR wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:33 pm I was in the area a couple of months ago and the area is just too much of a dump...also there is a statue nearby of a player that looks like Kanu but had a number 9 or something.
I think that’s supposed to be Okwaraji.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Robotnik wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:22 pm
Town planning in Lagos is ridiculous. Backward brains...
The national stadium was built in the 70s.
But apparently what is now the smaller stadium literally across the road was originally a small sports ground.
I grew up in Surulere within a mile and a half of both, knowing it as the ‘Lagos Temporary Stadium’ after some bright spark decided to convert it into a football stadium.
I’m not sure, but I actually think the sports ground predates the National Stadium.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

What an eyesore!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:41 pm What an eyesore!

Liberation Stadium, Port Harcourt

this one wowo pass am..shameful PH city .. no wonder Duncan left PH

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

That stadium should just be demolished.

Lagos needs a 60K seater or more stadium.

Maybe a public private partnership deal to build a new stadium. Maybe not in Surulere which is near my house. But build it somewhere else close to the mass transportation.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Kudos to Baba Ijebu (his Ikoyi house is the best home in Lagos IMHO). But Lagos deserves something more befitting. Is NSL still owned by the federal govt? If so, they should just sell it or partner with developers. Another idea is, dash it to Lagos State govt, but that's not likely to happen with our elected officials in Abuja.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

ohenhen1 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:23 am That stadium should just be demolished.

Lagos needs a 60K seater or more stadium.

Maybe a public private partnership deal to build a new stadium. Maybe not in Surulere which is near my house. But build it somewhere else close to the mass transportation.
I believe the red line (under construction) goes right through it and it's one of the stops.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Damunk wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:03 pm
kalani JR wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:33 pm I was in the area a couple of months ago and the area is just too much of a dump...also there is a statue nearby of a player that looks like Kanu but had a number 9 or something.
I think that’s supposed to be Okwaraji.
No this isn't the Okwaraji bust this was more "artistic".
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

1naija wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:41 pm What an eyesore!
Absolute disgrace :boo:
OCCUPY NFF!!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

What is the purpose of having two massive stadia 🏟️in Lagos and Abuja that the national team does not play in, and which do not have local club sides to use and fill them during the NPL season?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

wiseone wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:41 am What is the purpose of having two massive stadia 🏟️in Lagos and Abuja that the national team does not play in, and which do not have local club sides to use and fill them during the NPL season?

Local team do use the Teslim Balogun stadium. But they do need to get rid of national stadium. Replace it with an entertainment district or mall or parking.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

That statue needs to be taken down. Nigerians are too full of installing eye sores they call statues. I guess Ben Enweonwu did not train anyone to take over from him? I had this sinking feeling when I saw the Statue of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, in one of these towns. Why can we do things right and for the world to marvel at? We build roads, they wash away with the first rain; we build homes and other buildings, they collapse and kill many people. Tell Lagos State Government to take down that eye sore near the Stadium. Let the best be good enough for Nigeria.