SE CAMP NEWS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: SE CAMP NEWS

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:41 pm
jette1 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:16 pm All these for Saudi Arabia; It wasn't that long ago when You wont pay us enough to play the Saudis. Goes to show how low we have fallen. I mean im not saying its not a good test match given their WC performance
I don't understand the arrogance, the so-called Saudis you are trying so hard to deride are pumping in billions to improve their league, they just played in a world cup we failed to qualify for and actually play decent football for their standard...it's time Naija fans start humbling themselves cause we ain't the sh*t anymore.
I dare to suggest that we are stronger today probably more than we have ever been.
Yes, once upon a time for a limited period we were rated no5 in the world, but frankly I am baffled how that came about. I’m not sure who we beat to reach there but FIFA ratings have always been suspect, whether in our favour or against us.

Our ‘greatest’ team of ‘94 also had some deadwoods. It’s not as if we had Finidi and Okocha-quality players in every position.
And we had no bench to boast of.

So, no. We haven’t fallen. At the very worst, other African teams have stepped up to us, just like we have stepped up to many European and South American nations.

We do need to humble ourselves in various ways, but not to the level that we should now start over-respecting countries like Saudi or even Japan.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

jette1 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:16 pm All these for Saudi Arabia; It wasn't that long ago when You wont pay us enough to play the Saudis. Goes to show how low we have fallen. I mean im not saying its not a good test match given their WC performance
I don't understand the arrogance, the so-called Saudis you are trying so hard to deride are pumping in billions to improve their league, they just played in a world cup we failed to qualify for and actually play decent football for their standard...it's time Naija fans start humbling themselves cause we ain't the sh*t anymore.
And most importantly they beat Argentina at the WC, in their first meeting! We have yet to achieve that, 5 matches and counting ...

Wha choo looking at?!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Damunk wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:13 pm
I dare to suggest that we are stronger today probably more than we have ever been.
Yes, once upon a time for a limited period we were rated no5 in the world, but frankly I am baffled how that came about. I’m not sure who we beat to reach there but FIFA ratings have always been suspect, whether in our favour or against us.

Our ‘greatest’ team of ‘94 also had some deadwoods. It’s not as if we had Finidi and Okocha-quality players in every position.
And we had no bench to boast of.

So, no. We haven’t fallen. At the very worst, other African teams have stepped up to us, just like we have stepped up to many European and South American nations.

We do need to humble ourselves in various ways, but not to the level that we should now start over-respecting countries like Saudi or even Japan.
Abeg thank you jare; ha! ha!.
I never said the saudis are no good but common! So because them get money, China did same money pumping not long ago Abi our short memories don worsen ?
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Next
Egg
Egg

Post by Next »

Nigerians are very strange people: You complain and complain. If no friendly was organized, you will complain. Friendly organized, you complain. You think you are better or stronger than countries like Germany that would organize friendlies against countries like San Marino, Malta, ...?? Why dont you just take what you get and use that for team chemistry and trying out new players..

Cheers
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

I understand that we have better players and are ranked above Saudi. But don't forget that they beat Argentina and Iceland just last year during the last world cup.
They have a coach who understands African football well.
Underrate them at your own peril.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

if the SE fails to beat Saudi and Mozambique, we have no business playing football for 2 months
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:45 pm if the SE fails to beat Saudi and Mozambique, we have no business playing football for 2 months
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:45 pm if the SE fails to beat Saudi and Mozambique, we have no business playing football for 2 months
Phom dat
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

naijaguy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:51 pm I understand that we have better players and are ranked above Saudi. But don't forget that they beat Argentina and Iceland just last year during the last world cup.
Carry your defeatist mentality back to your house. Name 5 suadi players you know in their squad, in fact name 5 Mozambique players. Tell me how many of their matches you recently watched. I cannot stand fake fans like you. Carry your negativity away from our forum

Shows you know nothing. I guess Mancini their new coach knows African football. This shows you know nothing. Coward
SuperEagles

naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:54 am
naijaguy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:51 pm I understand that we have better players and are ranked above Saudi. But don't forget that they beat Argentina and Iceland just last year during the last world cup.
Carry your defeatist mentality back to your house. Name 5 suadi players you know in their squad, in fact name 5 Mozambique players. Tell me how many of their matches you recently watched. I cannot stand fake fans like you. Carry your negativity away from our forum

Shows you know nothing. I guess Mancini their new coach knows African football. This shows you know nothing. Coward
Is everything okay at home?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

naijaguy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:24 am

:rotf:
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:20 am

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Naija guy,

Don’t mind fatpokey and his pork eating self. I see nothing wrong with your post. You just said we shouldn’t underestimate them, and I agree.

Not everyone is jobless and has 7 TVs to watch soccer all day. I understand if you didn’t know that Mancini is their new coach. It was a recent hire. Herve Renard was begged to take over his country’s women’s national team & the Saudi’s dangled 25M/yr at Mancini’s face which made him quit Italy’s national team. That lead to the hiring of Spalleti by the Azzuri. That meant that Osimhen is stuck with the useless Garcia until he gets fired and Conte gets appointed by Napoli.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Point of correction .... 10 TVs.
packerland wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:58 pm

Naija guy,

Don’t mind fatpokey and his pork eating self. I see nothing wrong with your post. You just said we shouldn’t underestimate them, and I agree.

Not everyone is jobless and has 7 TVs to watch soccer all day. I understand if you didn’t know that Mancini is their new coach. It was a recent hire. Herve Renard was begged to take over his country’s women’s national team & the Saudi’s dangled 25M/yr at Mancini’s face which made him quit Italy’s national team. That lead to the hiring of Spalleti by the Azzuri. That meant that Osimhen is stuck with the useless Garcia until he gets fired and Conte gets appointed by Napoli.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

1naija wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:56 pm Point of correction .... 10 TVs.
:lol: :lol:

Naija guy,

"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

1naija wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:38 pm He probably conceeed a goal at the visa office... The team was top 5 at the beginning of the season. See where they are now, thanks to the 9 conceeded goals in 5 games ...

Nigeria should never consider such quality for the national team. Nothing against him as a person, but he is NOT Super Eagles material at all, at all.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/standings/_/league/isr.1
Dammy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:18 pm Maduka Okoye has been called up for the friendly matches. Olorunleke can’t seem to get a visa and 1naija has blocked Adeleye’s visa application! :lol:
Seems like Bret-Hert has waded into his client’s visa issues and Adeleye has collected his visa and is on his way to camp!
I am happy
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

Naija guy,

:clap: :clap:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Did he give any explanation for the 9 conceded goals in 5 games?
Dammy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:34 pm
1naija wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:38 pm He probably conceeed a goal at the visa office... The team was top 5 at the beginning of the season. See where they are now, thanks to the 9 conceeded goals in 5 games ...

Nigeria should never consider such quality for the national team. Nothing against him as a person, but he is NOT Super Eagles material at all, at all.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/standings/_/league/isr.1
Dammy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:18 pm Maduka Okoye has been called up for the friendly matches. Olorunleke can’t seem to get a visa and 1naija has blocked Adeleye’s visa application! :lol:
Seems like Bret-Hert has waded into his client’s visa issues and Adeleye has collected his visa and is on his way to camp!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The bold part is interesting.

Is Nigeria 🇳🇬 really "stronger today than it has ever been" or has it come full circle 🔵 in a way that resembles its unbalanced 1990s teams?

Nigeria has tremendous strength in depth in attack today, but its first choice two GKs cannot get into the first 11 of teams playing on Cyprus and the English 2nd division, and it has to pick defenders playing in the 2nd division.

Is this similar to the 1990s teams where African Footballer of the Year Victor Ikpeba, and Jonathan Akpoborie (who was one of the top scorers in the German 🇩🇪 Bundesliga) could not get into the team? Yet the same teams picked 3rd division footballer Michael Emenalo.

Ergo - 1990s and 2023: Nigeria = brilliant abundance in attack, dodgy GKs and defenders.

Last edited by wiseone on Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

wiseone wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:10 pm The bold part is interesting.

Is Nigeria 🇳🇬 really "stronger today than it has ever been" or has it come full circle 🔵 in a way that resembles its unbalanced 1990s teams?

Nigeria has tremendous strength in depth in attack today, but its first choice two GKs cannot get into the first 11 of teams playing on Cyprus and the English 2nd division, and it has to pick defenders playing in the 2nd division.

Is this similar to the 1990s teams where African Footballer of the Year Victor Ikpeba and Jonathan Akpoborie (who was one of the top scorers in the German 🇩🇪 Bundesliga) could not get into the team? Yet the same teams picked 3rd division footballer Michael Emenalo.

Ergo - 1990s and 2023: Nigeria = brilliant abundance in attack, dodgy GKs and defenders.

Maybe.
But the fact is we could pick a compete back four from the top 5 or so leagues in Europe with folks who are getting good playing time. I’m not sure could have said that in 94.
The goal keeper situation is problematic though.

By the way, someone is going to absolutely blast you and I for equating league with quality. :bump:
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

waka-man wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:50 pm

Is this similar to the 1990s teams where African Footballer of the Year Victor Ikpeba and Jonathan Akpoborie (who was one of the top scorers in the German 🇩🇪 Bundesliga) could not get into the team? Yet the same teams picked 3rd division footballer Michael Emenalo.

Maybe.
But the fact is we could pick a compete back four from the top 5 or so leagues in Europe with folks who are getting good playing time. I’m not sure could have said that in 94.

By the way, someone is going to absolutely blast you and I for equating league with quality. :bump:
Ben Iroha, Augustine Eguavoen, Uche Okafor, Mike Emenalo, Emeka Ezeugo were not exactly setting the international stage or their careers on fire at the time. So were they really unquestionably better than what we now have in their respective positions?
Let’s not forget that Taribo was not in the ‘94 squad. His debut was after the WC and if I’m not mistaken, it was against England @ Wembley and I was in the stadium that night. I think Kanu too was making his grand entrance to the SE around then.

Even Rufai was pretty much just a ‘decent’ keeper and at one point was back-up to Cameroon’s Sangoo. Was his profile that much different from Uzoho’s or Maduka’s today? Remember, at the time he was also far more ‘experienced’ than they are at the moment. In ‘94 he was 31.

So it’s not an undisputable fact that this team is weak or “weaker” than the ‘94 team.
Levels don change and the whole game has since elevated so it’s really hard to compare the way people tend to do, so casually.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Damunk wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:49 pm
waka-man wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:50 pm

Maybe.

Ben Iroha, Augustine Eguavoen, Uche Okafor, Mike Emenalo, Emeka Ezeugo were not exactly setting the international stage or their careers on fire at the time. So were they really unquestionably better than what we now have in their respective positions?
Let’s not forget that Taribo was not in the ‘94 squad. His debut was after the WC and if I’m not mistaken, it was against England @ Wembley and I was in the stadium that night. I think Kanu too was making his grand entrance to the SE around then.

Even Rufai was pretty much just a ‘decent’ keeper and at one point was back-up to Cameroon’s Sangoo. Was his profile that much different from Uzoho’s or Maduka’s today? Remember, at the time he was also far more ‘experienced’ than they are at the moment. In ‘94 he was 31.

So it’s not an undisputable fact that this team is weak or “weaker” than the ‘94 team.
Levels don change and the whole game has since elevated so it’s really hard to compare the way people tend to do, so casually.
I agree. We have much better defenders now. Taribo had been capped, but he was still a car crash and didn’t make the final USA squad. Keshi was past his prime. Okechukwu was the only one playing at the highest (?) level.

Today we have folks playing in Italy, English and Portuguese top divisions. No one stands out at the back, but on the whole it’s better.

Rufai was decent but like you said not great. And I think it these days of YouTube and Twitter, we would have been more aware of his numerous gaffs, even before the debacle of 98.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.