Pick your 23 for AFCON 2023

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Pick your 23 for AFCON 2023

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The tourney starts in 2 months, i very much doubt a lot of CE can come up with an acceptable 23 for the AFCON. Goalies are the major wahala right now. For me Our Osimhen, Boniface, Orban, Awo , Lookman, Iwobi, Kele, Ndidi, Aina, Osai Samuel, Bruno, Sanusi, Onyeka, Samu, are sure bankers. the rest not so certain .
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Pick your 23 for AFCON 2023

Post by Tobi17 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:11 pm The tourney starts in 2 months, i very much doubt a lot of CE can come up with an acceptable 23 for the AFCON. Goalies are the major wahala right now. For me Our Osimhen, Boniface, Orban, Awo , Lookman, Iwobi, Kele, Ndidi, Aina, Osai Samuel, Bruno, Sanusi, Onyeka, Samu, are sure bankers. the rest not so certain .
Onyedika, Bassey, Omeruo, Ajayi/Jordan Torunarigha barring injuries are making the final squad
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

If we want any chance of getting out of the group we should drop these players! These 5 players have no business in the SE until their performance improves!

Ahmed Musa
Francis Uzoho
Joe Aribo
Samuel Chukwueze
Umar Sadiq
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Undertaker wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:43 pm If we want any chance of getting out of the group we should drop these players! These 5 players have no business in the SE until their performance improves!

Ahmed Musa
Francis Uzoho
Joe Aribo
Samuel Chukwueze
Umar Sadiq
And Semi Ajayi.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:11 pm The tourney starts in 2 months, i very much doubt a lot of CE can come up with an acceptable 23 for the AFCON. Goalies are the major wahala right now. For me Our Osimhen, Boniface, Orban, Awo , Lookman, Iwobi, Kele, Ndidi, Aina, Osai Samuel, Bruno, Sanusi, Onyeka, Samu, are sure bankers. the rest not so certain .
This is of course if everyone is fit and available my top 23

GK:
Stanley Nwabali, Maduka Okoye, Adeleye

CB's:
Omeruo, Bassey, Awaziem, Ogbu,

FB's:
Osayi, Aina, Bruno, Zaidu

MF:
Iwobi, Ndidi, Onyeka, Onyedika, Ifeanyi Matthew

Wingers:
Lookman, Simon, Chukwueze,

CF's:
Iheanacho, Osimhen, Boniface, Awoniyi

I might be wrong but wasn't the number increased to 28 last edition or was that a one-off?
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

bret- hart wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:46 pm
Undertaker wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:43 pm If we want any chance of getting out of the group we should drop these players! These 5 players have no business in the SE until their performance improves!

Ahmed Musa
Francis Uzoho
Joe Aribo
Samuel Chukwueze
Umar Sadiq
And Semi Ajayi.
Semi can come but he can't start!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Undertaker wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:57 pm

Ahmed Musa
Francis Uzoho
Joe Aribo
Samuel Chukwueze
Umar Sadiq
And Semi Ajayi.
Heck no. I would rather take Jordan T. Ajayi is crap mehn. Im so embarrassed that that guy is a Nigerian Center Back. Heck i would go with Fredricks b4 Ajayi sef.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Still too early.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Sunset wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:54 pm

GK:

CB's:

FB's:

MF:

Wingers:

CF's:

I might be wrong but wasn't the number increased to 28 last edition or was that a one-off?
This list will get So many folks wilding
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

GK:
Stanley Nwabali, Maduka Okoye, Uzoho

CB's:
Omeruo, Bassey, Awaziem, Torunarigha

FB's:

MF:
Iwobi, Ndidi, Onyeka, Onyedika, Nacho

Wingers:

CF's:
Osimhen, Boniface, Awoniyi, Moffi

Fixed!
OCCUPY NFF!!
Babadee
Egg
Egg

Post by Babadee »

GK:
Rasheed, Maduka Okoye, Adeleye . 3 Gks for is a waste of space

CB's:
Omeruo, Bassey, Awaziem, Ajayi

FB's:

MF:
Iwobi, Ndidi, Onyeka, Onyedika, Nacho

Wingers:

CF's:
Osimhen, Boniface, Akor, Moffi/Awoniyi
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

bret- hart wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:59 pm

Ahmed Musa
Francis Uzoho
Joe Aribo
Samuel Chukwueze
Umar Sadiq
And Semi Ajayi.
Heck no. I would rather take Jordan T. Ajayi is crap mehn. Im so embarrassed that that guy is a Nigerian Center Back. Heck i would go with Fredricks b4 Ajayi sef.
For real. The only good thing about Ajayi is that he’s more likely to score from set piece (corner kicks). All 6 don’t deserve to make the team.

The only reason I will take Samu is if he is used off the bench like in the 80th minutes. The guy is not a starter.

I will make an exception for keeping Aribo only if Peseiro goes full retard like our previous coaches and is contemplating taking only 2-3 center midfielders to the tournament. We all know that battles are won in the trenches(midfield).

Enugu II

I told you it was the only area of his game that I like the most. They was a time he scored in back to back to back games from set piece for West Brom. The guy has 23 career goals which is not bad for a defender.
Last edited by packerland on Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Terem Moffi has scored 4 goals for Nigeria compared to 1.25 goals by some people. Just saying ....

GK:

CB's:

FB's:

MF:

Wingers:

CF's:

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

packerland wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:16 pm

Ahmed Musa
Francis Uzoho
Joe Aribo
Samuel Chukwueze
Umar Sadiq
And Semi Ajayi.
For real. The only good thing about Ajayi is that he’s more likely to score from set piece (corner kicks). All 6 don’t deserve to make the team.

The only reason I will take Samu is if he is used off the bench like in the 80th minutes. The guy is not a starter.

I will make an exception for keeping Aribo only if Peseiro goes full retard like our previous coaches and is contemplating taking only 2-3 center midfielders to the tournament. We all know that battles are won in the trenches(midfield).

Guy Aribo barely plays for SH in the championship. A crap southampton at that. Nope. Also he is not a real midfielder so he is a -1. I would rather take a fringe player like Ifeanyi Matthew, Folorunsho, Olawoyin, Fisayo Dele bashiru or even Nwakali in his place.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ahmed Musa
Francis Uzoho
Joe Aribo
Samuel Chukwueze
Umar Sadiq
And Semi Ajayi.

Packerland

While Ajayi is not the ideal guy, what is undeniable is that there is absolutely no one else used by Nigeria in that position that has outplayed him yet. Forget his club. That is absolutely irrelevant. What is relevant is what he has done in Nigeria's shirt compared to his competitors. Tell me just one competitor who has outplayed him in a Nigerian shirt?

I feel that the outrageous focus on the club is about to derail Nigeria's opportunity at the upcoming AFCON. Take an example we are using bench goalkeepers because they play in Europe and it has not mattered that they have been crap.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:36 pm

Ahmed Musa
Francis Uzoho
Joe Aribo
Samuel Chukwueze
Umar Sadiq
And Semi Ajayi.

Packerland

While Ajayi is not the ideal guy, what is undeniable is that there is absolutely no one else used by Nigeria in that position that has outplayed him yet. Forget his club. That is absolutely irrelevant. What is relevant is what he has done in Nigeria's shirt compared to his competitors. Tell me just one competitor who has outplayed him in a Nigerian shirt?

I feel that the outrageous focus on the club is about to derail Nigeria's opportunity at the upcoming AFCON. Take an example we are using bench goalkeepers because they play in Europe and it has not mattered that they have been crap.
Ajayi is serviceable. Akpoguma plays way better for his club than he does for us. Hopefully he turns it around. Ekong it looks has been phased out. Omerua is what he is and for some reason most of our past and our current coach don’t devour Awaziem. We have poor average center backs. I pray one of those u-20 boys develops real fast.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

packerland wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:34 am

Ahmed Musa
Francis Uzoho
Joe Aribo
Samuel Chukwueze
Umar Sadiq
And Semi Ajayi.

Packerland

Ajayi is serviceable. Akpoguma plays way better for his club than he does for us. Hopefully he turns it around. Ekong it looks has been phased out. Omerua is what he is and for some reason most of our past and our current coach don’t devour Awaziem. We have poor average center backs. I pray one of those u-20 boys develops real fast.
I agree in your assessment. I had high hopes for Awaziem when Peserio was appointed and I wrote about it, thinking that his ball playng ability was a plus over both Ekong and Balogun at the time. However, Awaziem's first 2 games for Nigeria under Peserio were piss poor. Now, he has been given another opportunity. He better come out playing better.

Nigeria is not a club....we have seen Akpoguma severally. His poor play accounted directly for one or maybe two goals conceded against Portugal. Then in his last game for Nigeria, an opponent used him as a ladder to head a ball. He has been pitiful for Nigeria. Meanwhile, Ajayi is not ideal but he has been much better than Akpoguma in a Nigerian shirt. It is not even close and it matters. We are talking about Nigeria here and not some German or English club. That is what matters.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:24 am

And Semi Ajayi.

Packerland

Ajayi is serviceable. Akpoguma plays way better for his club than he does for us. Hopefully he turns it around. Ekong it looks has been phased out. Omerua is what he is and for some reason most of our past and our current coach don’t rate Awaziem. We have poor average center backs. I pray one of those u-20 boys develops real fast.
I agree in your assessment. I had high hopes for Awaziem when Peserio was appointed and Iwrote about it thinking that his ball playong ability was a plus over both Ekong and Balogun at the time. Hiwever, Awaziem's first 2 games for Nigeria under Peserio were piss poor. Now, he has been given another opportunity. He better come out playing better.

Nigeria is not a club....we have seen Akpoguma severally. His poor play accounted directly for one or maybe two goals conceded against Portugal. Then in his last game for Nigeria an opponent used him as a ladder to head a ball. He has been pitiful for Nigeria. Meanwhile, Ajayi is not ideal but he has been much better than Akpoguma in a Nigerian shirt. It is not even close and it matters. We are talking about Nigeria here and not some German or English club. That is what matters.
Akpoguma has no excuse for that headed goal. But do you he is struggling because we haven’t paired him with the right partner? For example, Ekong is bang average but he had a great chemistry with Balogun. Uche Okechukwu and Taribo West had a good partnership too. I’ll admit if Akpoguma doesn’t get better soon then we’ll have to let him go. Maybe his heart is not in it. If so, we’ll thank him and move on.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

The best thing would be to follow the Keshi model of 2013 i.e. throw open a large camp 3 weeks before the tournament with at least 5 players per position. The cream will rise in such a competitive atmosphere and those whose only current strength is their name will show themselves. Anything other than this then it won’t be our best 23 guaranteed.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

packerland wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:53 am

Packerland

Ajayi is serviceable. Akpoguma plays way better for his club than he does for us. Hopefully he turns it around. Ekong it looks has been phased out. Omerua is what he is and for some reason most of our past and our current coach don’t rate Awaziem. We have poor average center backs. I pray one of those u-20 boys develops real fast.
I agree in your assessment. I had high hopes for Awaziem when Peserio was appointed and Iwrote about it thinking that his ball playong ability was a plus over both Ekong and Balogun at the time. Hiwever, Awaziem's first 2 games for Nigeria under Peserio were piss poor. Now, he has been given another opportunity. He better come out playing better.

Nigeria is not a club....we have seen Akpoguma severally. His poor play accounted directly for one or maybe two goals conceded against Portugal. Then in his last game for Nigeria an opponent used him as a ladder to head a ball. He has been pitiful for Nigeria. Meanwhile, Ajayi is not ideal but he has been much better than Akpoguma in a Nigerian shirt. It is not even close and it matters. We are talking about Nigeria here and not some German or English club. That is what matters.
Akpoguma has no excuse for that headed goal. But do you he is struggling because we haven’t paired him with the right partner? For example, Ekong is bang average but he had a great chemistry with Balogun. Uche Okechukwu and Taribo West had a good partnership too. I’ll admit if Akpoguma doesn’t get better soon then we’ll have to let him go. Maybe his heart is not in it. If so, we’ll thank him and move on.
But are you not looking for an excuse to forcefully fit Akpoguma because of his club pedigree? Why have others, including Ajayi, done better with the same options? Thus should not be about catering for Akpoguma. If he can not play with the current pairings, perhaps there are others who can.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:22 am

Packerland

But are you not looking for an excuse to forcefully fit Akpoguma because of his club pedigree? Why have others, including Ajayi, done better with the same options? Thus should not be about catering for Akpoguma. If he can not play with the current pairings, perhaps there are others who can.
Not really. I’m trying to see what we have with him before we turn the page on him. Was Efan Ekoku a bad player when he played for us? The guy was banging goals left and right for Wimbledon but couldn’t displace the Yekinis & Amokachi’s. The difference between that situation and what we have now is that the people that benched Ekoku outperformed him by a large margin. In this case, Ajayi is giving his best but he’s not setting the world on fire with his performances for both club and country.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

packerland wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:44 am
Enugu II wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:22 am

Packerland

Not really. I’m trying to see what we have with him before we turn the page on him. Was Efan Ekoku a bad player when he played for us? The guy was banging goals left and right for Wimbledon but couldn’t displace the Yekinis & Amokachi’s. The difference between that situation and what we have now is that the people that benched Ekoku outperformed him by a large margin. In this case, Ajayi is giving his best but he’s not setting the world on fire with his performances for both club and country.
Agreed that Ajayi is not lighting the world on fire but he certainly outplayed Akpoguma at that position. I mentioned previously that one key area that Peseiro sought to change was centerback and he has tried several combinations there and that included Akpoguma before seemingly settling for Ajayi and Bassey. I do not feel that he is done trying to fix the spot but the combination of Ajayi and Bassey is the most preferred at the moment. If you ask me who I really hope for, I will point to Awaziem and Bassey but that should not ignore the fact that Awaziem has not exactly demonstrated why he should be the guy.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

greg wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:40 am The best thing would be to follow the Keshi model of 2013 i.e. throw open a large camp 3 weeks before the tournament with at least 5 players per position. The cream will rise in such a competitive atmosphere and those whose only current strength is their name will show themselves. Anything other than this then it won’t be our best 23 guaranteed.

Coaches no longer have the luxury of camping a pool of players rather what we have now is the tournament squad chosen and then the camping is used to work on strategy
From the 2018 WC, the trend has moved towards naming the final squad before the tournament and this continued with the Euros. For the 2021 AFCON, Eguavoen named a 28 man final squad and there was no time to look at options.
Based on the above scenario, Peseiro’s AFCON squad is taking shape and unless there’s injury, players not involved in the dead rubber AFCON qualifier in Uyo, the recent friendlies and not named in the recent WCQs squad are out of AFCON. The players that fall into this category are Ahmed Musa, Troost Ekong, Onuachu and Akpoguma.
Also uncapped players like Osho, Ogbu, Akor, Orban and Alhassan, despite their good form are unlikely to be in the equation because the time to try them out before AFCON is unavailable.
My final 23 man squad
Goalkeepers: Okoye, Uzoho, Adeleye or Olorunleke
Defenders: Aina, Osayi-Samuel, Sanusi, Onyeamachi, Ajayi, Bassey, Awaziem and Omeruo
Midfielders: Iwobi, Ndidi, Onyedika, Onyeaka and Aribo
Forwards: Lookman, Chukwueze (Tella), Osimhen, Iheanacho, Boniface (Moffi), Simon and Awoniyi (Sadiq)
Just like in 2019 when a big name, Iheanacho, was dropped, it could happen again in 2023 with Chukwueze being the main suspect
Last edited by Dammy on Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am happy