I am still the most successful and decorated football player in Nigeria" - Mikel Obi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: I am still the most successful and decorated football player in Nigeria" - Mikel Obi

Post by The YeyeMan »

Damunk wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:39 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:10 pm
deanotito wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:50 pm There’s nothing about the retired Obi that I like…

The funny accent
The entitlement
The not speaking 2 words without saying John Terry

…just on and on
Spot on. He has a smugness which is unappealing. Don't like.
Maybe that’s what makes you think he couldn’t become a credible coach.
Smugness isn’t a problem in the coaching profession.
I’m sure you can name three smug coaches amongst some of the world’s very best. :D
I find his smugness to be grating.

I don't know how or whether it'd have an affect on his coaching. He's never struck me as someone who'd be interested in that side of the game anyway.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: I am still the most successful and decorated football player in Nigeria" - Mikel Obi

Post by deanotito »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:50 am
Damunk wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:39 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:10 pm
deanotito wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:50 pm There’s nothing about the retired Obi that I like…

The funny accent
The entitlement
The not speaking 2 words without saying John Terry

…just on and on
Spot on. He has a smugness which is unappealing. Don't like.
Maybe that’s what makes you think he couldn’t become a credible coach.
Smugness isn’t a problem in the coaching profession.
I’m sure you can name three smug coaches amongst some of the world’s very best. :D
I find his smugness to be grating.

I don't know how or whether it'd have an affect on his coaching. He's never struck me as someone who'd be interested in that side of the game anyway.
He won’t make a good coach. Too detached. Better as a director of football/technical committee member or something of that nature.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

He will be just like Rohr; sideways cautious coaching.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Mikel’s co-host answers back…and even Mikel knows he’s right. It’s Kanu!

https://youtube.com/shorts/vmlKMwJ2bBU? ... 5goKKTqGKK
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Most decorated but not ome of the greats by a long stretch
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:21 pm He ain't lying! Not even close. :thumb:
What we need from him now is to leave that studio and start coaching before he loses credibility like Oliseh.
The only thing he has over Kanu is the AFCON win that Kanu never got, but then Kanu got an Olympics win.

Other than that, Kanu blows him away. Look at the 2 AFOYs alone. Obi never came close to being AFOY.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

deanotito wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:40 pm Mikel’s co-host answers back…and even Mikel knows he’s right. It’s Kanu!

https://youtube.com/shorts/vmlKMwJ2bBU? ... 5goKKTqGKK
:thumb: :thumb: :thumbs: :thumbs: Before the call you King Kanu the is something special.
A man who make the entire Brazil nation cry including Pele that they might never win the OG medal again.
That Brazil team was stacked and Kanu singled hand eliminate them.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Orion wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:19 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:21 pm He ain't lying! Not even close. :thumb:
What we need from him now is to leave that studio and start coaching before he loses credibility like Oliseh.
The only thing he has over Kanu is the AFCON win that Kanu never got, but then Kanu got an Olympics win.

Other than that, Kanu blows him away. Look at the 2 AFOYs alone. Obi never came close to being AFOY.
Another false statement, research the top 3 nominees of the 2013 APOY . Some of yall are so lazy when it comes to researching
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:11 am

Another false statement, research the top 3 nominees of the 2013 APOY . Some of yall are so lazy when it comes to researching
One of the biggest APOY steals was not giving Mikel APOY.

Kanu is a legend of African football. An iconic, unusual player of the type we may never see again.

Having said that, he under-achieved for the SE. 12 goals in 86 caps is not a great return for a striker and he never had a great Afcon or WC. Arguably, his best achievements happened early - Ajax’s Champions league win and the Olympic gold. His had a very good Arsenal career with some memorable goals (the behind the back flick at Middlesbrough, the voodoo on Sango in the Cup Winners Cup, the magical hatrick at Stamford Bridge, and the bambooozling of Luke Young at White Hart Lane to name a few). Still, he was never the fulcrum for that team although his 30 or so goals is a decent return 120 or so games.

Mikel in the end had a great SE career. He was the pillar of an Afcon win the driving force behind that stellar 2018 WC qualification. At Chelsea, he was never the man, and his hero-worship of players with less talent than him - Lampard, Terry - strikes me as an inferior complex that held him back. Plus he’s not the easiest to love. But there’s no doubt that for over a decade, he was the rock on which the SE was built and his role in the 2016 Olympic bronze with a mediocre team was instrumental in so many ways.

Well always love Kanu more. But Mikel just shades it for me.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

waka-man wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:05 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:11 am

One of the biggest APOY steals was not giving Mikel APOY.

Kanu is a legend of African football. An iconic, unusual player of the type we may never see again.

Having said that, he under-achieved for the SE. 12 goals in 86 caps is not a great return for a striker and he never had a great Afcon or WC. Arguably, his best achievements happened early - Ajax’s Champions league win and the Olympic gold. His had a very good Arsenal career with some memorable goals (the behind the back flick at Middlesbrough, the voodoo on Sango in the Cup Winners Cup, the magical hatrick at Stamford Bridge, and the bambooozling of Luke Young at White Hart Lane to name a few). Still, he was never the fulcrum for that team although his 30 or so goals is a decent return 120 or so games.

Mikel in the end had a great SE career. He was the pillar of an Afcon win the driving force behind that stellar 2018 WC qualification. At Chelsea, he was never the man, and his hero-worship of players with less talent than him - Lampard, Terry - strikes me as an inferior complex that held him back. Plus he’s not the easiest to love. But there’s no doubt that for over a decade, he was the rock on which the SE was built and his role in the 2016 Olympic bronze with a mediocre team was instrumental in so many ways.

Well always love Kanu more. But Mikel just shades it for me.
SIGNED.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Lolly wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:27 pm True or False?

He dropped the Naija accent like a hot potato?
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

People are hating on Mikel here for no reason. If you watch more of his content, you will see that the smugness is largely tongue in cheek.

When the co-host interjected that it is Kanu, Mikel did not seem bothered.

You guys also need to realise that this is a Podcast lol. It is called entertainment. Many of you are probably among those that think that you know celebrities based on their on screen persona. Ellen Degeneres for example has a wonderful on screen persona but is a terrible person, Shaq has a terrible on screen persona (always coming across as self indulgent) but he is a great person.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Besides Mikel winning AFCON, Kanu's CV is better. Don't forget that Kanu won the African Player of the Year and he was also nominated for the Ballon d'Or.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

wale1974 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:25 am Besides Mikel winning AFCON, Kanu's CV is better. Don't forget that Kanu won the African Player of the Year and he was also nominated for the Ballon d'Or.
twice
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tbite wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:56 am People are hating on Mikel here for no reason. If you watch more of his content, you will see that the smugness is largely tongue in cheek.

You guys also need to realise that this is a Podcast lol. It is called entertainment. Many of you are probably among those that think that you know celebrities based on their on screen persona. Ellen Degeneres for example has a wonderful on screen persona but is a terrible person, Shaq has a terrible on screen persona (always coming across as self indulgent) but he is a great person.
Yeap Mikel is teasing for entertainment purposes he also agrees with his co host that Kanu shaves it. Gotta watch more of the podcast for full context, he’s a quite nice chap on the show and I’ve gotten used to his accent 😂
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I will take AFCON win over APOY, Olympic youth gold etc. smh. AFCON covers more that APOY
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Kanu who was a striker never ever scored any tournament goals for Nigeria. He kept on starting etc. He made his name in Atlanta. He was one of the greatest Nigerian footballers ever. For me Mikel is ahead of him 100%
SuperEagles

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:48 am
Tbite wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:56 am People are hating on Mikel here for no reason. If you watch more of his content, you will see that the smugness is largely tongue in cheek.

Yeap Mikel is teasing for entertainment purposes he also agrees with his co host that Kanu shaves it. Gotta watch more of the podcast for full context, he’s a quite nice chap on the show and I’ve gotten used to his accent 😂
I agree. It’s grown on me over time. The first couple of episodes were irritating though
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:53 pm Kanu who was a striker never ever scored any tournament goals for Nigeria. He kept on starting etc. He made his name in Atlanta. He was one of the greatest Nigerian footballers ever. For me Mikel is ahead of him 100%
So Olympics is not a tournament?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:44 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:53 pm Kanu who was a striker never ever scored any tournament goals for Nigeria. He kept on starting etc. He made his name in Atlanta. He was one of the greatest Nigerian footballers ever. For me Mikel is ahead of him 100%
His reference is the full national ream and not an age-restricted tournament.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Lolly wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:44 pm
It is a youth tournament🤔❗️

Cheers.