NO NIGERIAN REFEREES LISTED FOR AFCON

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NO NIGERIAN REFEREES LISTED FOR AFCON

Post by ANC »

Damunk wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:48 pm
ANC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:18 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:04 pm
ANC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:55 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:40 pm
ANC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:26 pm
Lolly wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:06 pm They are not good enough. Period!
Based on what evidence do you say this, and have you observed referees in other leagues ?
ANC

Comparative analysis of refereeing has been provided by me on eaglesetcetera site. The analysis, BTW, is not a subjective one but based on a statistical comparison. Refereeing in Nigeria's top leafue was so off the mean that it was laughable. This was not just comparing leagues in Europe but as I recall it compared a league in Africa and also included another non- European league. The statistical result also compared Nigerian league results and decisions to Nigerian league years ago. It was clear that other issues beyond onfiekd action was influencing results by referees in Nigeria. This was very clear based on statistical comparison.

It looked at probability of home wins, looked at probability of pk awards in last quarter if games and whether a home or away team often benefitted from such awards. All of these were part of that analysis, as I now recall it. Some NRA officials were miffed and I received irate calls but it is what it is.
Ok at least you have some facts to back up the statement.
It is still unfair to not have a single official from a major footballing nation in the tournament.
Even amongst the house of thieves, you can still find an honest man.
That Nigeria is corrupt does not justify the exclusion. I wonder how well many of the enlisted would
perform if they were to practice in Nigeria.
It’ll be unfair to lower the standards just to accommodate Nigerian referees. Have you watched a NPFL that’s not televised on TV? Try to watch a game and you’ll see why. Even the linesman is corrupt. When it’s comes to integrity, Nigeria has a huge problem.

WTF :D
Okay o..
Keep shooting yourself on the foot.
Don't complain when they take it further and deny you other opportunities. Don't cry "Issa Hayatou" again.
You should be more concerned with the information Enugu II provided.
It’s something we all sensed but didn’t have the hard evidence.
Like Kongi said, we shouldn’t insist on a Nigerian ‘quota’ only to go and stink up the joint.

Who is going to explain to those nations on the receiving end of terrible refereeing decisions?
If our refs can’t clean up their act, then tough.
The same people are currently explaining terrible refereeing decisions to the nations on the receiving end.

It's funny how integrity suddenly matters to many when it took the back seat during the last Nigeria presidential election. I am not advocating for corrupt or incompetent referees. Some have said that Nigerians have a culture of corruption, so why allow them to compete in football tournaments? They are likely to cheat their way to victory. Enugu put forth concerning data but insufficient grounds to exclude an entire nation from partaking. There must be some competent Nigerians who can officiate the game; blanket exclusion is dangerous.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

ANC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:16 pm

Based on what evidence do you say this, and have you observed referees in other leagues ?
ANC

Comparative analysis of refereeing has been provided by me on eaglesetcetera site. The analysis, BTW, is not a subjective one but based on a statistical comparison. Refereeing in Nigeria's top leafue was so off the mean that it was laughable. This was not just comparing leagues in Europe but as I recall it compared a league in Africa and also included another non- European league. The statistical result also compared Nigerian league results and decisions to Nigerian league years ago. It was clear that other issues beyond onfiekd action was influencing results by referees in Nigeria. This was very clear based on statistical comparison.

It looked at probability of home wins, looked at probability of pk awards in last quarter if games and whether a home or away team often benefitted from such awards. All of these were part of that analysis, as I now recall it. Some NRA officials were miffed and I received irate calls but it is what it is.
It is still unfair to not have a single official from a major footballing nation in the tournament.
That Nigeria is corrupt does not justify the exclusion. I wonder how well many of the enlisted would
It’ll be unfair to lower the standards just to accommodate Nigerian referees. Have you watched a NPFL that’s not televised on TV? Try to watch a game and you’ll see why. Even the linesman is corrupt. When it’s comes to integrity, Nigeria has a huge problem.

Okay o..
Don't complain when they take it further and deny you other opportunities. Don't cry "Issa Hayatou" again.
Like Kongi said, we shouldn’t insist on a Nigerian ‘quota’ only to go and stink up the joint.

Who is going to explain to those nations on the receiving end of terrible refereeing decisions?
The same people are currently explaining terrible refereeing decisions to the nations on the receiving end.

It's funny how integrity suddenly matters to many when it took the back seat during the last Nigeria presidential election. I am not advocating for corrupt or incompetent referees. Some have said that Nigerians have a culture of corruption, so why allow them to compete in football tournaments? They are likely to cheat their way to victory. Enugu put forth concerning data but insufficient grounds to exclude an entire nation from partaking. There must be some competent Nigerians who can officiate the game; blanket exclusion is dangerous.
Pls, name a Nigerian referee that you think was unfairly left out.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ANC

Okay o..

ANC

Certainly, you have a point that, perhaps, CAF should look deeper because there is possibly one or two who may not be as soiled. That surely is an important note.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:24 pm

ANC

Okay o..

Olodo brain.
What makes you think I have ever known a single Nigerian referee?
Read between the lines for a second in your life.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:25 pm

ANC

Okay o..

ANC

Certainly, you have a point that, perhaps, CAF should look deeper because there is possibly one or two who may not be as soiled. That surely is an important note.
My dear bro, always looking for a needle in a haystack!😁😁
I am happy
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

ANC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:28 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:24 pm

Okay o..

Olodo brain.
What makes you think I have ever known a single Nigerian referee?
Read between the lines for a second in your life.
FIFA looked and couldn’t find a Nigerian referee to officiate at the WCQ.
CAF looked and couldn’t find one for CAF games.
So I thought a smart Alec sitting behind a keyboard in a dusty warehouse might be able to find a Nigerian referee or linesman. Abi?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:56 pm

Okay o..

ANC

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
It’s an extremely competitive calling and nobody has time for quota.
The onus is on any country to raise its game and not expect to be awarded a place simply because of its size or reputation.
If anything, Nigeria would probably have one of the highest number of refs in AFCON if we were performing anywhere near optimal level. No need to “look deeper”.

Na we get problem, not CAF.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:25 pm

Okay o..

ANC

The onus is on any country to raise its game and not expect to be awarded a place simply because of its size or reputation.
If anything, Nigeria would probably have one of the highest number of refs in AFCON if we were performing anywhere near optimal level. No need to “look deeper”.

Damunk

One thing missing here is the overarching criteria for selecting refs at AFCON. I will guess that while a few are taken by very rankings the next criteria has to be prioritizing those who are good but whose countries are not at AFCON. I am merely guessing here.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Yet there are those who say corruption is not an impediment in Nigeria. It is impeding every aspect of national life.
mcal wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:02 am ...corruption is endemic like dem say.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:12 am
Damunk wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:25 pm

Okay o..

ANC

Damunk

One thing missing here is the overarching criteria for selecting refs at AFCON. I will guess that while a few are taken by very rankings the next criteria has to be prioritizing those who are good but whose countries are not at AFCON. I am merely guessing here.
...there is nothing of such criteria in overall selection.
A Nigeria referrer can officiate other games, or be part of VAR crew, etc. We have corruption problem, period.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

ANC

Okay o..

ANC

...remember they say, "when one finger is dirty the rest of the fingers will be dirty".
When one glaring naija ref is sniffed out in a match or two the rest are condemned.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:02 pm
Dammy wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:19 am
Gotti wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:55 am
Dammy wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:35 pmMusa, Ighalo and Oliseh recently called for home based players in the SE.
When they were in the team, they didn’t call for the home based but now they want to destabilise the team with their agenda.
They should rather focus on fixing the NPFL at all levels instead of applying makeup to cover up the problems of the league
Abegi what are you blathering on about?
Oliseh capped several home-based players as SE coach, which is literally putting his job where his mouth is! SMH

Meanwhile, not exactly sure what CAF not listing Nigerian referees for next year’s AFCON has to do with the capabilities of INDIVIDUAL home-based players. Destabilize ko, dissentry ni!
Abeg keep quiet if you have nothing sensible to add. Oliseh that dropped Mikel for a home based player that has since gone into oblivion just to prove a stupid point to people like you!
But, Dammy, read your mentioning of those three and then your claim. That is what Gotti responds to. Oliseh worked closely with homebased players. I also add, that Musa was first called up to SE while he was homebased and after he became foreign- based , a few years ago, he went back and played for Pillars. Don't you think he has an idea what he is talking about compared to CE guys who only watch European league? Both are far more credible than any of you CE guys who only watch European football and have little or no inkling about home based football and footballers.

BTW, that focus on European football limits the knowledge that some CE have of football and the abilities of labor around it. Think for a moment. No one here believes there is talent in Nigeria. Yet, 17 year olds from that Nigeria suddenly play for the Nigerian u17 squad and appear on TV and the same guys start to promote the player for SE but yet they forget there are talents like that, may be better, already in the NPFL! Ridiculous. Dat one that Television blindfold.
The comment below was copied from completesports.com in response to Oliseh’s call for home based players to be included in the SE

Dcardinal 1 day ago

Coming from a guy who made super eagles look like an NPFL side, does more talking on social media than execute good tactics..I can bet if you ask him to mention one player in NPFL good for Afcon, he can’t. That was the same sentiment Victor Ikpeba shared last week on Monday night football show on super sports, when the host inquired he mention one player from NPFL and whom he will replace in the current squad, he started stuttering. Most of these ex internationals lacks proper football insight. To stay relevant, they just jump aimlessly to a cause they can’t defend.
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:06 pm
Dammy wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:35 pmMusa, Ighalo and Oliseh recently called for home based players in the SE.
When they were in the team, they didn’t call for the home based but now they want to destabilise the team with their agenda.
They should rather focus on fixing the NPFL at all levels instead of applying makeup to cover up the problems of the league
Oliseh capped several home-based players as SE coach, which is literally putting his job where his mouth is! SMH

Meanwhile, not exactly sure what CAF not listing Nigerian referees for next year’s AFCON has to do with the capabilities of INDIVIDUAL home-based players. Destabilize ko, dissentry ni!
Abeg keep quiet if you have nothing sensible to add. Oliseh that dropped Mikel for a home based player that has since gone into oblivion just to prove a stupid point to people like you!
But, Dammy, read your mentioning of those three and then your claim. That is what Gotti responds to. Oliseh worked closely with homebased players. I also add, that Musa was first called up to SE while he was homebased and after he became foreign- based , a few years ago, he went back and played for Pillars. Don't you think he has an idea what he is talking about compared to CE guys who only watch European league? Both are far more credible than any of you CE guys who only watch European football and have little or no inkling about home based football and footballers.

BTW, that focus on European football limits the knowledge that some CE have of football and the abilities of labor around it. Think for a moment. No one here believes there is talent in Nigeria. Yet, 17 year olds from that Nigeria suddenly play for the Nigerian u17 squad and appear on TV and the same guys start to promote the player for SE but yet they forget there are talents like that, may be better, already in the NPFL! Ridiculous. Dat one that Television blindfold.
The comment below was copied from completesports.com in response to Oliseh’s call for home based players to be included in the SE

Dcardinal 1 day ago

Coming from a guy who made super eagles look like an NPFL side, does more talking on social media than execute good tactics..I can bet if you ask him to mention one player in NPFL good for Afcon, he can’t. That was the same sentiment Victor Ikpeba shared last week on Monday night football show on super sports, when the host inquired he mention one player from NPFL and whom he will replace in the current squad, he started stuttering. Most of these ex internationals lacks proper football insight. To stay relevant, they just jump aimlessly to a cause they can’t defend.
Dammy,

Why do you think he should be able to do this? I am mystified why you think he should or anyone else should expect him to do this.

You know the Nigerian players playing in Europe because of this reason --- Media coverage! You do not know NPFL guys and neither should you expect Ikpeba to know. Why? -- lack of media coverage.

However, a serious scout or national coaching team is expected to do better than you, Ikperba, or anyone on CE. That coaching staff is paid to SCOUT. That staff has the resources to provide the answers that you seek. It is their job.

What Ikpeba and others, including myself, are calling for is for the scouts to do their job i.e scout the NPFL and Nigeria. This is simply based on statistical expectation that there is a likelihood that some players exist in Nigeria. Why this expectation? each year, Nigeria tops the list of African countries sending talents to Europe who within weeks get into the first team squads of European clubs. The logic, therefore, is that if European scouts can find these gems, then Nigerian NT scouts can do so if they are willing to search. That is the simple logic. You, Ikpeba, and I are not scouts! Thus, it is frankly ridiculous to expect Ikpeba to locate a qualifying player from the NPFL.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

What's to expect from a country where even the Supreme Court contradicts itself?
Imagine a referee deciding in a final match to end the game in the 85th minute just
because the preferred team was winning.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Is it a surprise?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

So you guys dont know that most private owners have parked up having a Football team in Nigeria just because of consistent bad officiating that s just so awful, blatant rigging ......it destroy all efforts to raise a team to be viable in the Leagues in Nigeria.

There are numerous clubs own by private owners in the 2nd and 3rd tier of our Leagues that always avoid promotion.
They rather stay in the lower divisions because they don't have the money to bribe referees if they move upwards..

Ask Churchil of Ebiede FC why he prefer to be in lower tier of the Nigerian League. Despite having a beautiful home Stadium he built for his Club in Lagos.?

You will get your answers why none is found worthy by CAF,,
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Agbako wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:03 pm So you guys dont know that most private owners have parked up having a Football team in Nigeria just because of consistent bad officiating that s just so awful, blatant rigging ......it destroy all efforts to raise a team to be viable in the Leagues in Nigeria.

There are numerous clubs own by private owners in the 2nd and 3rd tier of our Leagues that always avoid promotion.
They rather stay in the lower divisions because they don't have the money to bribe referees if they move upwards..

Ask Churchil of Ebiede FC why he prefer to be in lower tier of the Nigerian League. Despite having a beautiful home Stadium he built for his Club in Lagos.?

You will get your answers why none is found worthy by CAF,,
Incredible as it sounds, I find this a credible scenario.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

joao wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:05 pm What's to expect from a country where even the Supreme Court contradicts itself?
Imagine a referee deciding in a final match to end the game in the 85th minute just
That also happened at AFCON and it wasn’t a Nigerian referee but Zambian.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:03 pm

Dcardinal 1 day ago

Dammy,

Why do you think he should be able to do this? I am mystified why you think he should or anyone else should expect him to do this.

You know the Nigerian players playing in Europe because of this reason --- Media coverage! You do not know NPFL guys and neither should you expect Ikpeba to know. Why? -- lack of media coverage.

However, a serious scout or national coaching team is expected to do better than you, Ikperba, or anyone on CE. That coaching staff is paid to SCOUT. That staff has the resources to provide the answers that you seek. It is their job.

What Ikpeba and others, including myself, are calling for is for the scouts to do their job i.e scout the NPFL and Nigeria. This is simply based on statistical expectation that there is a likelihood that some players exist in Nigeria. Why this expectation? each year, Nigeria tops the list of African countries sending talents to Europe who within weeks get into the first team squads of European clubs. The logic, therefore, is that if European scouts can find these gems, then Nigerian NT scouts can do so if they are willing to search. That is the simple logic. You, Ikpeba, and I are not scouts! Thus, it is frankly ridiculous to expect Ikpeba to locate a qualifying player from the NPFL.
If players are consistently getting sold to European teams then scouting is clearly happening. But players going to Scandinavia and other 4th tier leagues and starting actually shows they are not NT caliber…yet. When last did a Nigerian player go from our league to a top 5 league in Europe? Based on the poor quality of our league I don’t know how you are expecting scouts to unearth a player from nowhere that is suddenly Senior NT caliber…it sounds ridiculous honestly and quite disingenuous. You can say scout for the youth teams but Senior NT? Like come on…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:13 pm
joao wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:05 pm What's to expect from a country where even the Supreme Court contradicts itself?
That also happened at AFCON and it wasn’t a Nigerian referee but Zambian.
He was already a controversial figure.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:30 pm

Dcardinal 1 day ago

Dammy,

If players are consistently getting sold to European teams then scouting is clearly happening. But players going to Scandinavia and other 4th tier leagues and starting actually shows they are not NT caliber…yet. When last did a Nigerian player go from our league to a top 5 league in Europe? Based on the poor quality of our league I don’t know how you are expecting scouts to unearth a player from nowhere that is suddenly Senior NT caliber…it sounds ridiculous honestly and quite disingenuous. You can say scout for the youth teams but Senior NT? Like come on…
Thank you.
I wanted to respond likewise a few days ago but lost the zeal.
Someone described Prof as forever recommending a search for a needle in a haystack. :rotf:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dcardinal 1 day ago

Dammy,

Mace

Scouting by whom is the question. Sure scouting by and for Euro clubs us happening, but that isn't the issue here. Di they scout for SE? Tge issue here is scouting for SE and inviting players to the SE.

We have discussed why these players have to go to the Scandinavia first. Those are only leagues willing to sign players that are not exceptionally better than what they currently have. You also see players developed in top Euro leagues being farmed out regularly. It is same deal. In my view, if we are calling up players from the Scandinavia abd similar leagues as we do now does that not equate to also looking at NPFL players?

For a minute, forget Scandinavian league. With the players that we have been calling up, why are they not easily overcoming local African players as we saw recently in the WCQs?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:14 am

Dcardinal 1 day ago

Dammy,

Mace

Scouting by whom is the question. Sure scouting by and for Euro clubs us happening, but that isn't the issue here. Di they scout for SE? Tge issue here is scouting for SE and inviting players to the SE.

We have discussed why these players have to go to the Scandinavia first. Those are only leagues willing to sign players that are not exceptionally better than what they currently have. You also see players developed in top Euro leagues being farmed out regularly. It is same deal. In my view, if we are calling up players from the Scandinavia abd similar leagues as we do now does that not equate to also looking at NPFL players?

For a minute, forget Scandinavian league. With the players that we have been calling up, why are they not easily overcoming local African players as we saw recently in the WCQs?
My point is you don’t scout for the Senior National Team. Invitation to the Senior National team is as a result of proving yourself in a competent league showing you are head and shoulders above all other options out there in your position.

Can you please name the current players in our 25 man list that are playing in these Scandinavian leagues? There’s none, hence our NT footie is past that level at almost every position except maybe GK and we know our local league does NOT consistently produce competent keepers. Even with that the coach has selected one from our local league, what else do we want? Again I say someone asking for us to scout the local league for the SE is either being disingenuous or has alterior motives…I mean even say CHAN team first, but senior NT…come on, there are so many players in better leagues that weren’t even selected before we even talk about the lowly Scandinavian ones…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!