"Wonder boy" in action 2005

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
"Wonder boy" in action 2005

Post by ANC »

"Here's why Manchester United and Chelsea battled up to sign John Obi Mikel back in 2005"

:sneaky:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: "Wonder boy" in action 2005

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Trip down memory lane. Mikel. Best Nigerian MF ever. :thumb:
Btw, where did a lot of us get the idea that Mikel was an attacking MF or No 10? Though he could play anywhere in MF, Jose absolutely nailed it when he started playing him as a DM at Chelsea . Imho, there were 2 Mikels, Mikel of Chelsea and Mikel of Nigeria.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ANC wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:46 am

"Here's why Manchester United and Chelsea battled up to sign John Obi Mikel back in 2005"

BALLER
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:59 am Trip down memory lane. Mikel. Best Nigerian MF ever. :thumb:
Btw, where did a lot of us get the idea that Mikel was an attacking MF or No 10? Though he could play anywhere in MF, Jose absolutely nailed it when he started playing him as a DM at Chelsea . Imho, there were 2 Mikels, Mikel of Chelsea and Mikel of Nigeria.
shhhh you are speaking too loudly. :lol: :lol:

I have been saying this for more than a decade and I just gave up when I realized that it was their hatred for Mourinho had blinded most of them. I saw Mikel in 2005 pair Kaita in DM and Isaac Promise playing 10/8 in front of them and I couldnt believe the lies that Nigerians told for years. It wasn't because they didnt see it, or where unable to process what they were seeing, it was their hatred for a man that consumed them like fire! :oops:

Truth is that Mikel would have been a resounding failure if he had played 10 outside SE. Anyway, lets carry on.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

How long before you know who shows up on this thread. 1naija where is your home boy?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

danfo driver wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:30 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:59 am Trip down memory lane. Mikel. Best Nigerian MF ever. :thumb:

I have been saying this for more than a decade and I just gave up when I realized that it was their hatred for Mourinho had blinded most of them. I saw Mikel in 2005 pair Kaita in DM and Isaac Promise playing 10/8 in front of them and I couldnt believe the lies that Nigerians told for years. It wasn't because they didnt see it, or where unable to process what they were seeing, it was their hatred for a man that consumed them like fire! :oops:

Truth is that Mikel would have been a resounding failure if he had played 10 outside SE. Anyway, lets carry on.
Why don’t you take a position for once instead of blaming Nigerians. What was Mikel’s best position?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:38 am
danfo driver wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:30 am

Why don’t you take a position for once instead of blaming Nigerians. What was Mikel’s best position?
bro, I took my position many years ago and argued and argued and argued, until I realized that the Nigerians here (many of whom were Arsenal fans who Mourinho destroyed -- and United fans, who Mourinho stole Mikel from them) had hatred for Mourinho and as such were not interested in the facts.

That is the point I am making.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

He finally shows up...was getting worried for a minute. :D
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:37 am

BALLER
SuperEagles

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

As good as he was, Mikel would have been a lot better if he had been allowed to develop as a deep lying playmaker🤔❗️

Cheers.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Actually that 2drama, knew nothing about football, hailed Rabiu Ali over Mikel and called Mikel a sideways passer, then mace, the fake 2 faced non Nigerian enjoyed trolling and hating on Mikel
SuperEagles

Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

BALLER
A WORLD CLASS PLAYER DESTROYED BY THE EVIL POWER OF WHITES. A CLEAR EXAMOLE "WHO PAYS THE PIPER CALLS DA TUNE" HE COULD HAVE BEEN IN CONVERSATION COMPARISON WITH ZINEDINE ZIDANE. NO DOUBT........
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Agbako wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:17 pm

BALLER
A WORLD CLASS PLAYER DESTROYED BY THE EVIL POWER OF WHITES. A CLEAR EXAMOLE "WHO PAYS THE PIPER CALLS DA TUNE" HE COULD HAVE BEEN IN CONVERSATION COMPARISON WITH ZINEDINE ZIDANE. NO DOUBT........

wtf ? :rotf:
His biggest fan, the reason for this thread, would not even go that far.
Abeggi stop it.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ANC wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:10 pm

BALLER

Abeggi stop it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Shebi when I tell una that most of these people have allowed their hatred for Mourinho cloud their cognitive ability, una think sey i dey joke :lol: :lol:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ANC wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:10 pm

BALLER

Abeggi stop it.
ANC,

Certainly, this guy could have been much more than he ended up being and this is partly due to the restriction on his ability in an ultra-restricted system. There is no doubt in my mind.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:44 pm

ANC,

Certainly, this guy could have been much more than he ended up being and this is partly due to the restriction on his ability in an ultra-restricted system. There is no doubt in my mind.
Mikeldine Obidane!!!! No doubt in our minds!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

danfo driver wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:54 pm

ANC,

danfo,

Of course, in our minds because he was never given an opportunity under his Euro coaches. However, he did have the qualities and he demonstrated it in some of his games for the full national team of Nigeria. In any case, i did not expect anything different from his European coaches. It has been long documented on the typing that goes on as per players of certain racial make up in some of the spine positions. For Obi, it was not different. A really creative player, condemned to restrictive football in his career.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Jose was wrong then and he is wrong now. He was a 10. Nigeria was robbed of a very good 10 because his club - thanks to Jose - wouldn’t develop him as one.

As favorably as African players talk about Jose, I think he also had the stereotype of the strong African player that is only meant for roles where they can use their strength. Center forward, central defense, Dm. He didn’t think of him from the get go, as a 10.

On the other hand, I think it would have been very difficult for a 18 year old Mikel to dislodge Frank Lampard. That is probably why, all things being equal, Man United would have probably been a better move
Last edited by deanotito on Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:00 pm
danfo driver wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:54 pm

ANC,

danfo,

Of course, in our minds because he was never given an opportunity under his Euro coaches. However, he did have the qualities and he demonstrated it in some of his games for the full national team of Nigeria. In any case, i did not expect anything different from his European coaches. It has been long documented on the typing that goes on as per players of certain racial make up in some of the spine positions. For Obi, it was not different. A really creative player, condemned to restrictive football in his career.
Uncle, na so we see am o! :thumbs: By the way, Uncle, I have been meaning to ask you one question. Should we use Salah's performance in 2022 to give him an award for 2023? Abi how you see am? :D
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

thread fail. :rotf:
Kai, I didn't know there were so many closet supporters of the sideways footballing ways :sneaky: .
gurrano
Egg
Egg

Post by gurrano »

Let’s not get too carried away.. I would place Oliseh ahead of mikel in the defensive midfield role as he has been the best I have seen in that position for naija from the late 70’s to date.. Mikel was good in this position but Oliseh was lights out better than him as he had a lot more offensive approach to the game than
mikel and his long range passing was something else… defensively, I would put them at par though
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

gurrano wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:40 pm
Let’s not get too carried away.. I would place Oliseh ahead of mikel in the defensive midfield role as he has been the best I have seen in that position for naija from the late 70’s to date.. Mikel was good in this position but Oliseh was lights out better than him as he had a lot more offensive approach to the game than
mikel and his long range passing was something else… defensively, I would put them at par though
If you replaced Oliseh with Mikel against Italy in 1994, Nigeria would have beaten Italy.
Mikel, like Kanu, has a high football IQ, but he has something even more special: he has the discipline of a Finidi George.
Oliseh should be on a mood stabilizer on and off the pitch.