Peseiro names 25 man 2023 AFCON squad

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Flex Swift
Egg
Egg
Re: Peseiro names 25 man 2023 AFCON squad

Post by Flex Swift »

The NFF have entrusted the national team to a complete and utter moron. If the team get out of the group stage it will be by luck.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

packerland wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:50 pm
txj wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:27 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:36 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:03 pm My main issue with the list.....

Moffi over Sadiq then maybe Tella over Musa.

The goalkeepers and the midfield are a bit meh....but it's whats to be expected.

I am really shocked about Moffi.
Ugbowo,

I think you are spot on regarding Moffi. His exclusion is a major surprise. I thought it was going to be between him and Sadiq for the spot that would have automatically gone to Awoniyi. In my view, Moffi had the edge over Sadiq going in, given Sadiq's long lay off. Thus, it is a major surprise.

As for Tella, I just do not agree with you. He certainly does not deserve getting on the squad at the moment. We could argue on Musa but even then, a better sub would not be Tella at this time. For me, Musa got in as a valedictory tournament pick, nothing more.

Moffi's exclusion could be injury related, having just returned from a hamstring strain.

I could be wrong, but I suspect his competition in that hybrid CF/SS role was Kele rather than Sadiq.

The list is pretty much as expected, Musa's inclusion being what it is...

My main disappointment is that it breaks no new ground wrt new talent...

But the real issue remains HOW WE PLAY and how the players are used...
The guy came back from injury and scored two goals. He’s fine. We’ve carried guys with major knee injuries to bigger tournaments multiple times in the past.

Its one thing to do that while playing every 7days, and another to do it in a tournament. Its pretty risky to take injured players to tournaments, esp in a position where you have options.

I think they should've included a young, new talent in MF. Particularly Kayode at Fiorentina...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

txj wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:39 pm

The goalkeepers and the midfield are a bit meh....but it's whats to be expected.

Ugbowo,

I think you are spot on regarding Moffi. His exclusion is a major surprise. I thought it was going to be between him and Sadiq for the spot that would have automatically gone to Awoniyi. In my view, Moffi had the edge over Sadiq going in, given Sadiq's long lay off. Thus, it is a major surprise.

As for Tella, I just do not agree with you. He certainly does not deserve getting on the squad at the moment. We could argue on Musa but even then, a better sub would not be Tella at this time. For me, Musa got in as a valedictory tournament pick, nothing more.

Moffi's exclusion could be injury related, having just returned from a hamstring strain.

I could be wrong, but I suspect his competition in that hybrid CF/SS role was Kele rather than Sadiq.

The guy came back from injury and scored two goals. He’s fine. We’ve carried guys with major knee injuries to bigger tournaments multiple times in the past.

Its one thing to do that while playing every 7days, and another to do it in a tournament. Its pretty risky to take injured players to tournaments, esp in a position where you have options.

I think they should've included a young, new talent in MF. Particularly Kayode at Fiorentina...
So the 9 defenders selected is not enough?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I take it you would have come up with a completely different list than this, right? You statement can't be because one or two players you prefer are not on the list.
Flex Swift wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:38 pm The NFF have entrusted the national team to a complete and utter moron. If the team get out of the group stage it will be by luck.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

txj wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:39 pm

Ugbowo,

Kayode is an Italian U21 international
I am happy
packerland
Egg
Egg
Re: Peseiro Names AFCON 25 but NFF Wants 27

Post by packerland »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:03 pm
packerland wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:54 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:24 pm
anointed wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:07 pm What are the rationales for Francis Uzoho and Ahmed Musa being on this team?
Anointed,

IMHO, there are few surprises with this selection given the manager's invitations. Uzoho was always going to make the team and BTW he will be the starter for at least the first game Take that to the bank given how Managers often operate. However, the invitation of Nwabili is a clear message that Uzoho is on a short leash and i believe Uzoho knows that.

As for Ebuehi, he had very little chance to make this team and he has not shown that he belongs to a squad making it to the AFCON. Certainly not with his SE performances.

Given how players have been used, the real surprise is Moffi not making it and instead Sadiq taking his place. That is surely a surprise.

On Musa, all of us know that this is a huge surprise and this might just be a valedictory gift and agreement with Musa. That is just my thought.
Ebuehi is not that different from Lookman and some of our other players. Guys that ball for their clubs but are average when playing for the SE. The guy has received very little opportunities since he switched. we need to play Ebuehi in 5-6 straight games as a starter or sub with reasonable minutes and if he doesn’t perform then we can stop inviting him.
Bros,

As you correctly mentioned --- this is about performance at the NT level and not club. Ebuehi has received far more opportunities than numerous others. He has played 12 times for Nigeria. That is a more games compared to many others. This includes being part of the squad to the 2018 World Cup proper. If he received very little opportunities, how many games should he have played?
Lookan and Boniface are not setting the world on fire with their perfoemnce with the NT. In fact I would say their performance with the SE has been average, but we still rate those two.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

packerland wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:28 pm
anointed wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:07 pm What are the rationales for Francis Uzoho and Ahmed Musa being on this team?
Anointed,

IMHO, there are few surprises with this selection given the manager's invitations. Uzoho was always going to make the team and BTW he will be the starter for at least the first game Take that to the bank given how Managers often operate. However, the invitation of Nwabili is a clear message that Uzoho is on a short leash and i believe Uzoho knows that.

As for Ebuehi, he had very little chance to make this team and he has not shown that he belongs to a squad making it to the AFCON. Certainly not with his SE performances.

Given how players have been used, the real surprise is Moffi not making it and instead Sadiq taking his place. That is surely a surprise.

On Musa, all of us know that this is a huge surprise and this might just be a valedictory gift and agreement with Musa. That is just my thought.
Ebuehi is not that different from Lookman and some of our other players. Guys that ball for their clubs but are average when playing for the SE. The guy has received very little opportunities since he switched. we need to play Ebuehi in 5-6 straight games as a starter or sub with reasonable minutes and if he doesn’t perform then we can stop inviting him.
Bros,

As you correctly mentioned --- this is about performance at the NT level and not club. Ebuehi has received far more opportunities than numerous others. He has played 12 times for Nigeria. That is a more games compared to many others. This includes being part of the squad to the 2018 World Cup proper. If he received very little opportunities, how many games should he have played?
Lookan and Boniface are not setting the world on fire with their perfoemnce with the NT. In fact I would say their performance with the SE has been average, but we still rate those two.
Maybe because they are slightly better than the other options in their respective positions. I would take Lookman over Onyekuru and Ejuke. Similarly, I would take Boniface over Sadiq and Moffi.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Calling up Mikel or Okocha when they were past their prime made sense because they left a gaping hole in the Super Eagles.

But Ahmed Musa? His status in the national team remains an enigma.
Egg
Egg

Post by 404 »

Going nowhere….
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Lolly wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:43 pm
Anointed,

Bros,

Maybe because they are slightly better than the other options in their respective positions. I would take Lookman over Onyekuru and Ejuke. Similarly, I would take Boniface over Sadiq and Moffi.
Ebuehi’ a last performance in GWG was appalling. He doesn’t deserve to be in the squad. Boniface and Lookman have performed better than him. Lookman has had some glaring misses, but he’s also done some good work. Boniface has had his moments too. Not that either have set the world alight, but there’s enough there to work with. Ebuehi, I’m afraid, is done.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Same old midfield no creativity.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

This is not the best we have. They should have fired the coach in July. Imagine still depending on Uzoho. Calling up Musa and EKong.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:43 pm
Anointed,

Bros,

KPOM. Ebuehi is decidedly second rate for SE when compared to his competitors and that includes the second line of competitors. As for Lookman, and Boniface? Both are ahead of their own competitors even though they have not exactly been exceptional. That isd the difference. Moreover, Boniface has played less than half the number of games that Ebuehi has been featured. In my view, Ebuehi has no case at all!!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

I tire o
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

It would have been nice to see Noah Atubolu, Tyronne Ebuehi, Kevin Akpoguma, Igoh Ogbu, Patrick Dorgu, Alhassan Yusuf, Obinna Nwobodo, Michael Folorunsho, Nathan Tella, Terem Moffi, and Chidera Ejuke, But hey this is Nigeria.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Good grief. 😳
That is pure evil. You can oppose Musa’s inclusion in the squad without wishing a crippling injury on a man who has not done you any harm.

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:53 pm Why on earth would Peseiro be opposed to taking an extra 2 players ? Is he footing the bill ? What an eeediot.

As for Musa. Fock his ugly #$%. I hope he tears his Achilles. Piece of shi$
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:42 am This is not the best we have. They should have fired the coach in July. Imagine still depending on Uzoho. Calling up Musa and EKong.
You’ve been crying for the inclusion of local
Players, is Leki Ojo one of the best keeper in the country? Is he even in the top 6?
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wiseone wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:45 am Good grief. 😳
That is pure evil. You can oppose Musa’s inclusion in the squad without wishing a crippling injury on a man who has not done you any harm.

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:53 pm Why on earth would Peseiro be opposed to taking an extra 2 players ? Is he footing the bill ? What an eeediot.

As for Musa. Fock his ugly #$%. I hope he tears his Achilles. Piece of shi$
It’s VE…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

wale1974 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:37 am It would have been nice to see Noah Atubolu, Tyronne Ebuehi, Kevin Akpoguma, Igoh Ogbu, Patrick Dorgu, Alhassan Yusuf, Obinna Nwobodo, Michael Folorunsho, Nathan Tella, Terem Moffi, and Chidera Ejuke, But hey this is Nigeria.
Wale,

But how you go see them? How many games have they played for Nigeria and how well did they do? You simply cannot pick a player because he is playing well with his club. The player must compete against other invited Nigerian players so that he can be properly assessed. In a competition like AFCON, Nigeria should not be playing fantasy football but should use those truly tested in GWG and nothing more.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:49 am
wale1974 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:37 am It would have been nice to see Noah Atubolu, Tyronne Ebuehi, Kevin Akpoguma, Igoh Ogbu, Patrick Dorgu, Alhassan Yusuf, Obinna Nwobodo, Michael Folorunsho, Nathan Tella, Terem Moffi, and Chidera Ejuke, But hey this is Nigeria.
Wale,

But how you go see them? How many games have they played for Nigeria and how well did they do? You simply cannot pick a player because he is playing well with his club. The player must compete against other invited Nigerian players so that he can be properly assessed. In a competition like AFCON, Nigeria should not be playing fantasy football but should use those truly tested in GWG and nothing more.
The bigger issue is the coach didn’t test them, seemed lazy to look past ****’s set of players. How many has he tried/added since he took over? I’m sure you have data on it, I feel he’s likely done so at a much lower clip than previous coaches…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You are just listing names you read of on the internet. I will bet $100 you have not seen 2 games of Obinna Nwobodo this season. I am in Cincinnati often, and they don't even televise FC Cincinnati games on TV in Cincinnati talkless around the country. He is good, but no where near the caliber of players called up. He won't make a dent in the team's performance. Neither will the Alhassan Yusuff I watched the other day. This list has the best players Nigeria has to offer for now.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Brutal!!! :D :D :D :D
Lets assume he gets his wish.
He should list the players he will replace with his fantasy players.

Cmoke :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

1naija wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:06 am You are just listing names you read of on the internet. I will bet $100 you have not seen 2 games of Obinna Nwobodo this season. I am in Cincinnati often, and they don't even televise FC Cincinnati games on TV in Cincinnati talkless around the country. He is good, but no where near the caliber of players called up. He won't make a dent in the team's performance. Neither will the Alhassan Yusuff I watched the other day. This list has the best players Nigeria has to offer for now.