Are the Super Eagles of Nigeria good enough to win Afcon 2024?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Are the Super Eagles of Nigeria good enough to win Afcon 2024?

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Are the Super Eagles of Nigeria good enough to win Afcon 2024?

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I actually enjoy listening to the point of views of other Africans . this was interesting
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The thing about this AFCON, if the top seeds make round 16, my goodness , we are going to have some serious exciting fixtures
SuperEagles

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:52 pm
Bigpoke,

The guy on the left touches on something about our current players which I have referred to as willing to give a 110% effort. Apparently, even mon-Nigeria notice this and see it. It is that obvious.

It really is nothing to me that you play in big this or that in Europe. Frankly, immaterial to me. What he speaks on is whether that same player is willing to sweat and give his blood to Nigeria on the field. You can see Osimhen do it, you can see Iwobi do it. But how many of these so called big this and that are willing to give that to Nigeria?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:09 pm
Bigpoke,

The guy on the left touches on something about our current players which I have referred to as willing to give a 110% effort. Apparently, even mon-Nigeria notice this and see it. It is that obvious.

It really is nothing to me that you play in big this or that in Europe. Frankly, immaterial to me. What he speaks on is whether that same player is willing to sweat and give his blood to Nigeria on the field. You can see Osimhen do it, you can see Iwobi do it. But how many of these so called big this and that are willing to give that to Nigeria?
Some state on the forum some players do not give 100% etc. Are you able to call out the players? If you were able to point out Iwobi and our Osimhen , then this shouldn't be tasking. I do know Uzoho isn't good enough
SuperEagles

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

No they are not. Me am going to just watch the tournament without expectations.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

In all honesty based on talent to win I would rank as follows.

1. Morocco
2. Senegal
3. Ivory Coast
4. Algeria
5. Nigeria

Nigeria would be the 5th overall most talented team.

Those 4 are definately better than us but I don't see any others better
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:11 pm In all honesty based on talent to win I would rank as follows.

1. Morocco
2. Senegal
3. Ivory Coast
4. Algeria
5. Nigeria

I disagreed! Here is my list

1. Morocco
2. Senegal
3. Ivory Coast
4. Egypt
5. Algeria
6. Nigeria
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I don't think Morocco will win Afcon or is currently the best team in Africa.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Assemblage of talents alone does not equate to success in team sport.
The coach should be able to make individuals complement each other,
and operate with an agenda of team discipline and focus.
Also, we should be realistic about AFCON being a competition and not
an exhibition, with other teams not attending to simply make the numbers.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

There are no clear cut favourites for the 2023 AFCON. Both Senegal, Morocco CIV have been weakened by their key players i.e. Mane, Koulibaly, Mendy, Bonou, Saiss, Fofana, Kessie, Konan etc moving to Saudi Arabia.
I have reviewed the squad lists released so far and there’s no clear cut favourites
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:58 pm There are no clear cut favourites for the 2023 AFCON. Both Senegal, Morocco CIV have been weakened by their key players i.e. Mane, Koulibaly, Mendy, Bonou, Saiss, Fofana, Kessie, Konan etc moving to Saudi Arabia.
I have reviewed the squad lists released so far and there’s no clear cut favourites
Bros,

Even if those guys are in Europe, they still will not make any of those teams clear favorites at AFCON.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Undertaker wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:23 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:11 pm In all honesty based on talent to win I would rank as follows.

1. Morocco
2. Senegal
3. Ivory Coast
4. Algeria
5. Nigeria

I disagreed! Here is my list

1. Morocco
2. Senegal
3. Ivory Coast
4. Egypt
5. Algeria
6. Nigeria

Well Egypt at least have a quality keeper but I don't think they have more talent than us overall.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

We do. We have the players and I am supporting the team to the trophy! Nothing less.

The issue we have is coaching/tactics. Remove the moron and I'll be more confident. The squad is good enough to win. No other team has a striker of the caliber that we have. Our third choice striker (Sadiq) will start for most (if not all other) teams.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

ohenhen1 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:57 pm No they are not. Me am going to just watch the tournament without expectations.
Exactly why I have been scared in general to even visit this Forum these days, not to talk of watching our games. All the same, I will try to watch a few to the extend my heart, or fear can take me
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Talent has never won a tournament. It may however win qualifying games. If that was the criteria, Brazil would have won the 1982 World Cup, France would have won the 1986 Mundial and England or Cameron should have won the 199o edition.

Big names and big clubs don’t win either. From my experience and analytics, it comes down to team experience, cohesion, desire and coaching with a bit of luck.

17/25 players in the Eagles squad have been together for three tournaments. Nacho was omitted in 2019.

If by now they do not have exceptional team work, there’s nothing we can do about it.

We have the experience and the team work. I question the coaching. As far as our spine, they are committed and should drive the rest of the team.

Ekong must play over Ajayi not because he is better than Ajayi, Tosin or Ogbu. He is an intricate part of the spine who has hopefully learnt from his experiences and failures (Cairo 19 own goal).

Ndidi and Iwobi must play in the middle. They are warriors and they are committed for each other and for the country.

Osimhen must play up front.

If the goalie is in form and these four players lead by example, Nigeria will win. If they lose, they will be unlucky to do so.

The super favorites are equally good (Maroc, Algeria, Senegal and CIV). but we can win.

The playing surface will be exceptional and the lack of home pressure is a plus.

DO NOT BET AGAINST NIGERIA IN TOURNAMENTS. Excluding the last edition, 1982 and 2008, Nigeria has been in the final four in practically every tournament it has played from 1976-2022….
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Dammy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:58 pm There are no clear cut favourites for the 2023 AFCON. Both Senegal, Morocco CIV have been weakened by their key players i.e. Mane, Koulibaly, Mendy, Bonou, Saiss, Fofana, Kessie, Konan etc moving to Saudi Arabia.
Morocco would be difficult to beat. They play as a well oiled unit with a very strong defence.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Bigpoke,

EII,

I don’t think we are in a position to judge what’s in the heart of a player when we’ve never worn the player’s shoes. I’d rather focus on the fact that every professional footballer wants to win something and will do whatever is within their remit to make it happen. There is precious little that can dampen the desire for personal glory. That is a common factor with every footballer who gets to go to the AFCON. The only differentiator is the individual level of skill and we, Nigeria, have got plenty of that so, I’ll take my chances with the group we have🤔❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Are the Super Eagles of Nigeria good enough to win Afcon 2024

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:19 pm
Bigpoke,

EII,

I don’t think we are in a position to judge what’s in the heart of a player when we’ve never worn the player’s shoes. I’d rather focus on the fact that every professional footballer wants to win something and will do whatever is within their remit to make it happen. There is precious little that can dampen the desire for personal glory. That is a common factor with every footballer who gets to go to the AFCON. The only differentiator is the individual level of skill and we, Nigeria, have got plenty of that so, I’ll take my chances with the group we have🤔❗️

Cheers.
God bless you for this.
It amuses me how fans and pundits sit in their armchairs and pass judgement on players who they believe are not able or willing to give their all. As far as I am concerned that Bongo guy on the left is talking rubbish about the Super Eagles.

These guys are by nature highly competitive and just want to win. A lot of the time it really doesn’t even matter the stature of game. Even when they go back home during the off-season and play 5-a-side with their old schoolmates, they still want to win the game.

If they are unhappy for some reason (eg coach, contract etc) it’s slightly different. But to assume they don’t have that desire to play and win in a national shirt at a continental competition is a long stretch. Then to go further and say it’s because they are spoilt millionaires or because they are not local borns is incredulous and does not reflect the mindset of an elite athlete.

The fire of an Osimhen vs the icy exterior of an Ajayi is no measure of their desire to win.
As you say, personal glory and bragging rights drive them forward.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Enugu, I am still waiting on you to call out the players who aren't giving 100% today is the 2nd day of the year , AFCON starts in 11 days.
SuperEagles

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:41 am Enugu, I am still waiting on you to call out the players who aren't giving 100% today is the 2nd day of the year , AFCON starts in 11 days.
Well, be prepared to wait a bit more.

I have named those who will give Nigeria 110% effort every game. You try to figure out the rest. Alternatively, you wait and without a prompt you and others will actually list them soon after a loss. That is guaranteed.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Are the Super Eagles of Nigeria good enough to win Afcon 2024

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:32 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:19 pm
Bigpoke,

EII,

Cheers.
God bless you for this.
It amuses me how fans and pundits sit in their armchairs and pass judgement on players who they believe are not able or willing to give their all. As far as I am concerned that Bongo guy on the left is talking rubbish about the Super Eagles.

These guys are by nature highly competitive and just want to win. A lot of the time it really doesn’t even matter the stature of game. Even when they go back home during the off-season and play 5-a-side with their old schoolmates, they still want to win the game.

If they are unhappy for some reason (eg coach, contract etc) it’s slightly different. But to assume they don’t have that desire to play and win in a national shirt at a continental competition is a long stretch. Then to go further and say it’s because they are spoilt millionaires or because they are not local borns is incredulous and does not reflect the mindset of an elite athlete.

The fire of an Osimhen vs the icy exterior of an Ajayi is no measure of their desire to win.
As you say, personal glory and bragging rights drive them forward.
Damunk

Remember that these players are not robots. They have personalities and differ from one another. The effort in one game differs from the next. There are those who will play with consistent effort in every game. Others will give effort and vary it unconsciously, depending on who the opponent is. For instance, do you think the SE will not dramatically up its game and effirt if Nigeria is to meet Lesitho again at the same venue in Nigeria? As a matter of fact, take a look at previous such games where Nigeria played a dud game but exploded against same opponent a few weeks after. What exactly do you think is mostly responsible for that difference?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:19 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:41 am Enugu, I am still waiting on you to call out the players who aren't giving 100% today is the 2nd day of the year , AFCON starts in 11 days.
Well, be prepared to wait a bit more.

I have named those who will give Nigeria 110% effort every game. You try to figure out the rest. Alternatively, you wait and without a prompt you and others will actually list them soon after a loss. That is guaranteed.
You cannot make a blanket statement and then conclude people should wait. We have too many Nigerians always saying the players do not give any efforts. Call them out( players) and let's see.
SuperEagles