Ode to the Egales. I usually hate the term Giants of Africa, but I think we should embrace it for this tourney.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Ode to the Egales. I usually hate the term Giants of Africa, but I think we should embrace it for this tourney.

Post by Tbite »

One thing I love about Nigerian football is we don't care.

We could be ranked 120th in the world and we will stand tall in front of the team ranked #1. We really do not fear teams. We always take it to them. Win, lose or draw. Doesn't matter who you are. Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Germany, Rwanda, Thailand...it doesn't matter.

I generally hate the term Giant of Africa because it is the unearned title that incompetent Nigerian politicians use to gloss over the fact that Nigeria is one of the most underachieving countries in human history. You don't need to do anything as a Nigerian politician, just cut one or two ribbons and say "Giant of Africa" and you're good to go. We have the largest population so we are the best, that is what the politicians like to say.

So I really hate that term, because we haven't remotely earned it.

But for football I think it might just be useful. Our players play with swagger, it doesn't always come off, but every now and again it does. We can never be counted out no matter what. Say what you like about Nigeria, but no team ever took us lightly.

Even when Brazil trashed us in Abuja and Spain trashed us in the confed cup, watch the games back and you will see they put on a complete shift to get those results. You cannot take Nigeria lightly, no matter what. Doesn't matter what the mood in camp is, doesn't matter if bonuses are paid or unpaid. Nigeria is always a dangerous animal.

and so I think we need to channel that energy. An eagle is always an eagle, whether wounded or otherwise. An Eagle does not become a fowl because it lost a feather.

I think that incompetent politicians can use words to deceive the masses, but in this context I think these words can be used to motivate our lads and bring about positive manifestation.

So I say. I don't care who is hosting the damn thing, I don't care about the rankings, I don't care who finished fourth in the World Cup, and I don't give a rats bullocks who won the tournament last. We are the Super Eagles of Nigeria, the Giants of Africa. The ones who are never unnerved. The only team in Africa that never waivers nor despairs. We will never be fearful of any team in Africa, no matter what.

Let it be known. We are the Giants of Africa. We are the ones that nobody wishes for. The unpredictable ones, the thorn in the flesh of the mightiest of men. We may complain and we may scramble, but when the referee blows that whistle, all sentient beings on God's green earth become cognizant of the fact that there is only one, not two, but one, Giant of Africa.

There is a reason why we are the most accomplished footballing country in Africa, and it is because we manifest these things that we know and hold to be true. For any man who questions our mettle will be sullied by our talons.

So bring your best, whether you be favourites, dark horses, or minnows with a point to prove. We do not underestimate our foes, but can never bring ourselves to lower our gaze. we are and will always be, Giants. From the vantage of the eagle, there are no unscalable peaks.

These are not the mere scribbles of a bored fan on an obscure server. Every African, every football fan knows these words to be true, but I only wish to reinforce it. Sometimes even our fans forget who we are, so it is important that we remember who we are. Our neighbours call themselves indomitable, but it is really us that contain that spirit, because there has never been a tournament where we didn't fancy ourselves.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
scholl
Egg
Egg
Re: Ode to the Egales. I usually hate the term Giants of Africa, but I think we should embrace it for this tourney.

Post by scholl »

:laugh: :rotf: Na mumu country you dey pay “ode” to? Leave swagger for inside gutter jare. No one gives a toss about that. What’s the collective ideology of the country and how that radiates towards all sectors it involves itself with? Swagger na empty yanga for #$% people.

If that exists, then we can talk about ode abi na o-de.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Ode to the Egales. I usually hate the term Giants of Africa, but I think we should embrace it for this tourney.

Post by Dammy »

Egales????
I am happy
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Tbite wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:29 am One thing I love about Nigerian football is we don't care.

We could be ranked 120th in the world and we will stand tall in front of the team ranked #1. We really do not fear teams. We always take it to them. Win, lose or draw. Doesn't matter who you are. Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Germany, Rwanda, Thailand...it doesn't matter.

I generally hate the term Giant of Africa because it is the unearned title that incompetent Nigerian politicians use to gloss over the fact that Nigeria is one of the most underachieving countries in human history. You don't need to do anything as a Nigerian politician, just cut one or two ribbons and say "Giant of Africa" and you're good to go. We have the largest population so we are the best, that is what the politicians like to say.

But for football I think it might just be useful. Our players play with swagger, it doesn't always come off, but every now and again it does. We can never be counted out no matter what. Say what you like about Nigeria, but no team ever took us lightly.

Even when Brazil trashed us in Abuja and Spain trashed us in the confed cup, watch the games back and you will see they put on a complete shift to get those results. You cannot take Nigeria lightly, no matter what. Doesn't matter what the mood in camp is, doesn't matter if bonuses are paid or unpaid. Nigeria is always a dangerous animal.

and so I think we need to channel that energy. An eagle is always an eagle, whether wounded or otherwise. An Eagle does not become a fowl because it lost a feather.

I think that incompetent politicians can use words to deceive the masses, but in this context I think these words can be used to motivate our lads and bring about positive manifestation.

So I say. I don't care who is hosting the damn thing, I don't care about the rankings, I don't care who finished fourth in the World Cup, and I don't give a rats bullocks who won the tournament last. We are the Super Eagles of Nigeria, the Giants of Africa. The ones who are never unnerved. The only team in Africa that never waivers nor despairs. We will never be fearful of any team in Africa, no matter what.

Let it be known. We are the Giants of Africa. We are the ones that nobody wishes for. The unpredictable ones, the thorn in the flesh of the mightiest of men. We may complain and we may scramble, but when the referee blows that whistle, all sentient beings on God's green earth become cognizant of the fact that there is only one, not two, but one, Giant of Africa.

There is a reason why we are the most accomplished footballing country in Africa, and it is because we manifest these things that we know and hold to be true. For any man who questions our mettle will be sullied by our talons.

So bring your best, whether you be favourites, dark horses, or minnows with a point to prove. We do not underestimate our foes, but can never bring ourselves to lower our gaze. we are and will always be, Giants. From the vantage of the eagle, there are no unscalable peaks.

These are not the mere scribbles of a bored fan on an obscure server. Every African, every football fan knows these words to be true, but I only wish to reinforce it. Sometimes even our fans forget who we are, so it is important that we remember who we are. Our neighbours call themselves indomitable, but it is really us that contain that spirit, because there has never been a tournament where we didn't fancy ourselves.
I beg to differ. We fear Argentina in football and we fear dem well well! When we face them our strikers legs turn to jelly and their brains become mush. 5 games against them at the highest level and 5 losses. Not even a draw.

Another thing. Cameroon, Morocco, Senegal and Ghana( that started playing WC football yesterday) have gone further at the WC than we have, with a fraction of our population.

Is it number of ANC titles? Cameroon, Ghana and Egypt senior us well well in that regard. The truth of the matter is that we have massively underachieved in football. While I appreciate the optimistic tone of your post, let’s take it easy with the chest beating.

Wha choo looking at?!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Football I said. I didn't say senior mens football.

In football period, Nigeria is undisputed at the top. Youth + Senior Men's + Senior women's.

Club doesn't count, that's not national. The point is the swagger exists in man, woman, and child. I'm on my phone and prefer writing on my pc, so I'll leave the other points for now.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Going by current circs, it is delusional to embrace it.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

Tbite wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:06 pm Football I said. I didn't say senior mens football.

In football period, Nigeria is undisputed at the top. Youth + Senior Men's + Senior women's.

Club doesn't count, that's not national. The point is the swagger exists in man, woman, and child. I'm on my phone and prefer writing on my pc, so I'll leave the other points for now.
But your references was of the senior team. It appears you are pivoting, rather than debate those who disagreed with you.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

scholl wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:12 am
Tbite wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:06 pm Football I said. I didn't say senior mens football.

But your references was of the senior team. It appears you are pivoting, rather than debate those who disagreed with you.
You remind me of that guy..what's his name. The guy in rant and rave. Name starts with an s. The one that always argues with Ohsee and thinks he knows it all.

I am drawing a blank. In what universe could Nigeria be deemed the best in Africa's men's football? How? So you are arguing with me for not arguing? 😃

I am not arguing about football credentials here in any case, it is actually quite the opposite. The gist of the post is that Nigeria is always confident no matter what.

I never pivot on ce. I don't have a history of doing so lol. Just ask anybody here. I tend to make my point and stick by what I said. That's what I am known by.

The funny thing is that I am an overthinker which means that most of the time when I make a post I consider ten different scenarios about how it might be p3rceived, and thr funny thing is that I considered the very thing you posted to me.

But I thought if it were an issue, I could easily clarify it. But I guess you are now claiming I am lying? Very hard to discuss on that basis. I can't wrap my head around that one.

I'll make a subsequent post from my pc. I am not thenbest mobile typist.

Anyway we will soon find out if it was genuine curiosity or if you are just picking a fight. Because, when I made a similar point to that rant and rave guy, even with the evidence, he stuck to his claim.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Ok I'm on the PC now.

This has all the similarities to an argument I had with Sinequanon years ago, where he decided that he could mind read, even after presenting him counter facts. In fact if I were petty I would drag that old argument out from thin air, because the subject he decided to call me a liar in (I am objectively the most savvy on in this entire forum) and I can prove it. But anyway that argument was useful for only one thing, it proved to me that he was arrogant and unwilling to concede even when shown facts, so of what use would even more facts do?

As for you. Well I do not want to hastily cast you in the same pool. Though I must admit that because of the former, I am a little bit less friendly than I would probably be.

This is the comment I made:

Is there a difference between country and team? So because I referred specifically to the Super Eagles in certain parts of my writeup, it means that country is irrefutably equivalent to team?

but before we even go down this rabbit hole (that seems so similar to the Sinequanon one), I am actually struggling to see your point or angle? You see I did in fact PREDICT that someone could make such a post as Scipio's but I did not think it would need any further clarification beyond my first reply. So your reply I did not predict and do not understand.

Rather than ramble on any further, I will let you reply to get some sense of what it is you are trying to accomplish then I can discuss further.

I only remember lying once in my 60,000+ posts on the internet. It was an old post in 2006 against a guy on Nairaland called Texazzpete. I exaggerated my knowledge of console and handheld emulators. he caught me in the lie.

Other than that, I do not recall ever lying anywhere else. Though many have certainly made the accusation over the years.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Look, anyone that tells you to be confident is just engaging in wishful thinking. None of us would be here if we didn’t love the super eagles. But it’s delusional to think all is well or that our online support will make a difference
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

deanotito wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:34 pm Look, anyone that tells you to be confident is just engaging in wishful thinking. None of us would be here if we didn’t love the super eagles. But it’s delusional to think all is well or that our online support will make a difference
The last part of my writeup suggests that I think is already a part of all of us. I think the Super Eagles are not naturally a fearful team. This is NOT a call to action.

I think regardless of what may be going on in the team, I don't think they are afraid, and it is actually the reverse relationship that I am highlighting.

I am not on the internet calling the team to action. I am saying the team in action are more confident than we realise and we online should remember that. I think that encapsulates the ode succinctly.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:50 pm
Tbite wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:29 am One thing I love about Nigerian football is we don't care.

I beg to differ. We fear Argentina in football and we fear dem well well! When we face them our strikers legs turn to jelly and their brains become mush. 5 games against them at the highest level and 5 losses. Not even a draw.

Another thing. Cameroon, Morocco, Senegal and Ghana( that started playing WC football yesterday) have gone further at the WC than we have, with a fraction of our population.

Is it number of ANC titles? Cameroon, Ghana and Egypt senior us well well in that regard. The truth of the matter is that we have massively underachieved in football. While I appreciate the optimistic tone of your post, let’s take it easy with the chest beating.
I promised to tackle your other points. So here they are.

Regarding Argentina. I am not so sure fear is the issue.

This is my 2 cents.

We do not lose to Argentina because of fear. We lose to them because we always start the match in the deficit. We are playing catchup. We tend to play them in an open game. Their offense is better than ours and our defense is never airtight. But it is actually because we are unafraid and put up a good fight that the matches were always close.

Watch the matches back, Argentina's offense in those matches were not THIN. It was a massive barrage of attacks. A fearful team cannot lose by a 1 goal margin in such affairs, consistently. They always had enough foray into our final third to have won with 2, 3, even 4 goal margins!

We were also unlucky. In 2010, I think their goal from the corner should not have stood, our player was fouled off the ball. In 2018, we were unlucky to have conceded so late. But all in all, we lost because we dared to play them in their game, and they were better at it. I think to beat Argentina we need to actually have a specific game plan built on how to contain them as a whole. I think in 2018 the fear was from Rohr not the team. On the left flank we were struggling (fatigue not fear) and Rohr refused to make a change.

On the subject of who went farther in the World Cup, it is irrelevant to my post. Read the first line of my post. I am not saying we are the most deserving side. I am saying the opposite. Irrespective of our circumstances we always put up a fight. Quite the contradiction to the points you and Scholl are perhaps raising.

to summarize the last point again. I did in fact inject one bit of statistic that we could hold onto with pride, which is the collective consistency of football in our COUNTRY. And I did so for one reason, perhaps confidence and belief does count for something over a large sample of games. And perhaps confidence is innate in all Nigerians (men, women, and children).

No pivoting. I don't play those games.
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

Tbite wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:30 pm

Ok I'm on the PC now.

This has all the similarities to an argument I had with Sinequanon years ago, where he decided that he could mind read, even after presenting him counter facts. In fact if I were petty I would drag that old argument out from thin air, because the subject he decided to call me a liar in (I am objectively the most savvy on in this entire forum) and I can prove it. But anyway that argument was useful for only one thing, it proved to me that he was arrogant and unwilling to concede even when shown facts, so of what use would even more facts do?

As for you. Well I do not want to hastily cast you in the same pool. Though I must admit that because of the former, I am a little bit less friendly than I would probably be.

This is the comment I made:

Is there a difference between country and team? So because I referred specifically to the Super Eagles in certain parts of my writeup, it means that country is irrefutably equivalent to team?

but before we even go down this rabbit hole (that seems so similar to the Sinequanon one), I am actually struggling to see your point or angle? You see I did in fact PREDICT that someone could make such a post as Scipio's but I did not think it would need any further clarification beyond my first reply. So your reply I did not predict and do not understand.

Rather than ramble on any further, I will let you reply to get some sense of what it is you are trying to accomplish then I can discuss further.

I only remember lying once in my 60,000+ posts on the internet. It was an old post in 2006 against a guy on Nairaland called Texazzpete. I exaggerated my knowledge of console and handheld emulators. he caught me in the lie.

Other than that, I do not recall ever lying anywhere else. Though many have certainly made the accusation over the years.

I never said you were lying, I said you were pivoting when challenged about your write up. However, it is easy to conclude that the post was heavily weighted (if not completely) on the "Super" Eagles. The bolded supports this.

Even when Brazil trashed us in Abuja and Spain trashed us in the confed cup,watch the games back and you will see they put on a complete shift to get those results. You cannot take Nigeria lightly, no matter what. Doesn't matter what the mood in camp is, doesn't matter if bonuses are paid or unpaid. Nigeria is always a dangerous animal.

No referenece to Falcons or Eaglets

"We are the Super Eagles"

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

@Tbite,

We have had many good scoring chances in our games against Argentina at the WC but due to lack of composure(which can be attributed to fear), we failed to convert many of them. Even in 2018, we had a LOT of decent chances against them, but froze when it was time to finish. Abeg we are afraid of Argentina.

We do not always put up a fight. We were comfortably cruising 1-0 up against Greece in 2010 until Sanni Kaita's red card. You could see the sheer terror on the SE player's faces after that. Sheer terror! We proceeded to crumble afterwards, and we have crumbled many times at the WC. Nigeria at the WC is one of the worst teams in teams of losing after having a lead. At the WC we have led against Argentina, Italy, Sweden and Greece and ended up losing. We have only come back once from a deficit to win, against Spain almost 30 years ago.

I mentioned Ghana, Cameroon, Senegal and co for a reason. I believe they have shown greater mental strength at the world stage than we have (except Ghana vs Uruguay :rotf: ). They have all won knockout round games at the WC, something which we have never done.

Wha choo looking at?!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I know what I wrote scholl and why and how I wrote it. Yes it is heavily weighted on the Super eagles, but I was 10000% talking about Nigeria as a country.

I am not lying AND not pivoting. I repeat. I am not pivoting.

Could the most be considered ambiguous? Obviously it can, but that is neither here nor there.

I cannot argue that Nigeria is the top team in African men's senior football. Which would be the claim that you are insinuating I am making.

Your claim of pivoting is entirely wrong, because I don't even know how to humour you.

So let's say you are right. How exactly does that work? I am saying we have more Afcons? or I am boasting about second round finishes?

To make your point even more bizarre to me. I do not actually know who the top team in Africa would be in men's football. I am actually thinking of that right now. Doesn't seem obvious to me.

Cannot just blurt out Egypt. I think the candidates are Cameroon, Ghana, and Nigeria. They are the most balanced.

Morocco, Egypt, Senegal, Ivory Coast...less so.

From the above three, I would go with Cameroon, with Nigeria second and Ghana third.

I put Nigeria above Ghana because their Afcon wins were significantly less competitive.

As for the second tier. I don't think on the whole the deep forays of some of those teams in the world cup, balances put their Afcon weakness. In the case of Ivory coast the argument is particularly easy.

Rather than assume what I am thinking (a pet peeve of mine). I would prefer if people just asked.

Now you know what I actually think on that particular subject.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

If Ghana's wins were not glorified backyard scraps, then they should easily be above Nigeria.

But the Afcon that Ghana was winning is definitely not the same Afcon that we won. They won the lite variety, same as The Arab Republic.

If Egypt does something useful in the world cup. Anything useful, I'll put them above Nigeria.

If Morocco wins this Afcon...I'll have to check as well.

But I cannot put the two above Nigeria as of now.