Decision not to press CIV- Did we rob CIV?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Decision not to press CIV- Did we rob CIV?

Post by ANC »

danfo driver wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:30 am
ANC wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:06 pm The strategy worked well, but the strategy was not perfectly executed; a more potent team would have taken advantage of the gaps left in front of the defensive frontline. The Midfielders on a number of occasions did not close these gaps soon enough. CIV actually had direct shots on SE goal, the same cannot be said for SE.
:lol: :lol:

Have you ever watched one game in your entire life where one team did not create one chance?

You guys know how football works right? Two teams are playing each other. its normal for both of them to create chances. Thats why you have a goalkeeper.

Did you expect that CIV will have zero chances? :lol: :lol:
try that sh.t with Uzoho and see what happens
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

ANC wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:36 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:29 am
deanotito wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:58 am Honestly didn’t see a defensive game from Nigeria. CIV’s biggest problem is a lack of quality. That Fofana guy upfront is a prime waster. They just don’t have the talent, their players are fairly route-one with little innovation. No speed either

Unbelievable! :shock:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Well you have to excuse him for saying that, because SE actually had more effective forays than CIV.
Remove the anxiety of watching the game, CIV is average at best. :sad:
When most people see 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, they think defensive. But Nigeria did not get in that game to play negative football. They were actually quite offensive. Our wingbacks just tracked back better and the CIV team was not very good. I would even add that by personnel, Nigeria was more defensive in makeup against Equatorial Guinea than against CIV.

CIV’s problem was an absolutely pedestrian buildup (stems for a lack of creativity) and poor quality up front. Their players needed too many touches to figure out the next pass. They were easy to contain when they got in and around our box. They should be mad at themselves and not Nigeria. And I’ll say it again, if I were them, I would have subbed out Fofana in the first half. Their best chance came from Zaidu’s head for goodness sake
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I would continue with the formation against CIV if I were Peseiro.
It’s the defence that wins tournaments and with our attacking options, we would always create chances.
This was how Rohr started off in the WCQs with the SE. The only difference was that Rohr’s team had a higher conversion rate
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:59 am I would continue with the formation against CIV if I were Peseiro.
It’s the defence that wins tournaments and with our attacking options, we would always create chances.
This was how Rohr started off in the WCQs with the SE. The only difference was that Rohr’s team had a higher conversion rate
The problem is that using such an ultra defensive set up against decidedly lower ranked teams that are similarly setup can lead to frustration. The setup should vary in game and game after game. That is the modern dictate.

Importantly, the commitment of this crop if Nigerian players is doubtful. They were fully committed against Ivory Coast because this was a predictably tough game will they be similarly committed against an opponent that is decidedly lower ranked? That is the question.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Dammy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:59 am I would continue with the formation against CIV if I were Peseiro.
Horse for courses.. We needed 3 point against a good team with home advantage, so we set up our tactics accordingly. The Elephants were sucker punched and had no tactical response. It was a masterclass and a joy to see how the boys were able to stay disciplined and execute the plan flawlessly.

I would tinker things slightly and go with 4-3-3. Wrap the game up early, the monkey off Osimeh's shoulder and rest the big guns for the next round.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:18 pm
The problem is that using such an ultra defensive set up against decidedly lower ranked teams that are similarly setup can lead to frustration. The setup should vary in game and game after game. That is the modern dictate.

Importantly, the commitment of this crop if Nigerian players is doubtful. They were fully committed against Ivory Coast because this was a predictably tough game will they be similarly committed against an opponent that is decidedly lower ranked? That is the question.
I’m tired on minnows having only one shot on target and scoring from it.
Let us low block each other, we will still create chances to score
I am happy
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:59 pm The CIV players and coach are not taking the 1–0 smash and grab well at all, They feel like we played negative football by sitting back,inviting them to attack and plugging all lanes to the box? It seems like they only had 1 plan vs SE . They’re mad that we didn’t follow the script, literally blaming our tactics for their loss.

https://owngoalnigeria.com/2024/01/19/t ... afcon-win/

At the start of the game Pesseiro made a tactical decision not to press the CIV defenders , a decision I felt was wrong at the time but it ended up solidifying our defense as the team withdrew backwards to plug all lanes. The Ivorians found it difficult to create chances and ended up twerking on the wings most times they had possession. Fortunately for SE they had a lot of experience with it because so many small teams had done the same to them with less talented players.

Was the decision not to press responsible for CIV’s inability to find space? If so, is it negative football when a team decides not to contest the ball whenever the opponent begins to advance the ball?
Did we rob them? I ask this question because when CAR, GB, CV, Lesotho and Zimbabwe did the same to us, the hurt from the loss or draw wasn’t even as painful as the way it happened.

I don’t think we robbed them but we did clown them. :laugh:
CIV was robbed. Daylight robbery! Naija will hia wen!
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:19 pm

I’m tired on minnows having only one shot on target and scoring from it.
Let us low block each other, we will still create chances to score
Dammy

You do have a point given that we have Osimhen up front. However, you know the fans will call for the Manager's blood if this becomes our M.O.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

First, I would not call it ultra defensive. It was a medium NOT a low block.

Second, that very same setup can be used in a much more attacking approach by pushing the line higher...

Its all about balance and execution...

As for the decision not to press high, I suspect its from the lessons learned in the opening game and how quickly the team tired in the heat and humidity after an intense, high press start to the game...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

As Equatorial Guinea proved and as some of us said on this thread, Ivory Coast was a poor team. It wasn’t defensive football that foiled them
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet