Our Osimhen

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: Our Osimhen

Post by waka-man »

deanotito wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:11 pm
waka-man wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:03 pm
deanotito wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:36 pm
theDunamis wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:00 pm
bushboy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:09 pm Lol...my broda, this is the silliest "argument" ever. Scoring goals is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT MUST HAPPEN TO WIN A GAME. A striker can do all the above things you described, and if no goals result, the very best possible outcome is a 0-0 draw.

But if a "lazy" striker does NONE of those things, but is very clinical and takes his chance to score a goal, the odds that they win that game is increased.

The "lazy" striker doesn't advance alone. His clinical finishing means his TEAM advances, and has a chance to win a trophy.

It's not that difficult. You're just playing dumb to advance Osimhen. The irony is that I think he was brilliant in that game and I said so. I'm simply saying he can't afford to miss the chances he has.

Reading and comprehension deficit. I have made the point again and again that a striker need not be the one to score and you have read and comprehended that as "if no goals result". As far as strawman arguments go, yours is definitely the most idiotic I have read on this forum. So, I have to ask, and I ask this quite frankly and honestly, are you just innocently dumb or are you willfully intellectually dishonest?

Either is a terrible ailment but one is definitely more disturbing. :)

Brother, we all appreciate Osimhen, but it’s only false 9s that are allowed the luxury of not scoring. Osimhen, best we know, is not and has never been deployed as a false 9.

We love him. Appreciate him. But let’s not redefine what a 9 is just to win an argument

As a Nigerian, I will take victory anyhow we get it. But a 9 is supposed to score. That’s his specialty. Many players can work for you.
Umm, he definitely played in a much deeper role against Cameroon with Lookman and the full backs frequently ahead of him. Not quite a false 9 because he still needed to occupy the full backs but he often drifted into deep areas and a it worked well. It wreaked havoc on the CMR backline’s shape and left spaces for Lookman in particular. Our second goals stemmed from this.
All this “not quite a false 9” talk…I don’t know what you mean. By design, in Peseiro’s system, Lookman and Simon are supposed to provide a lot of midfield and defense support. There is no way that in addition to that, Lookman is also supposed to be the target man.

Is Osimhen a 9? Yes. Then his primary responsibility is to score.

Those saying his primary responsibility is to “help the team” are just trying to bend over backwards to argue. If you see Nwabali running out for every corner trying to help his team score, will you be fine with it? Since he’s “helping” his team?
In reference to the bold above are you saying he was a false 9?
Primary, secondary etc etc the goal of the game is to win and every player has to contribute to that. While your Nwabali is extreme (I get it, to make a point), yes, Osumhen has defensive responsibilities and Aina has attacking responsibilities.

But as I said, we expect more goals from Osumhen. It is ok to believe and also note that he had a more varied role against Cameroon that required him to play deeper just as Lookman (interestingly not Simon), had more free reign to provoke attacking actions that in previous games. You just need to compare heat maps to see this.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bushboy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:09 pm Lol...my broda, this is the silliest "argument" ever. Scoring goals is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT MUST HAPPEN TO WIN A GAME. A striker can do all the above things you described, and if no goals result, the very best possible outcome is a 0-0 draw.

But if a "lazy" striker does NONE of those things, but is very clinical and takes his chance to score a goal, the odds that they win that game is increased.

The "lazy" striker doesn't advance alone. His clinical finishing means his TEAM advances, and has a chance to win a trophy.

It's not that difficult. You're just playing dumb to advance Osimhen. The irony is that I think he was brilliant in that game and I said so. I'm simply saying he can't afford to miss the chances he has.

Reading and comprehension deficit. I have made the point again and again that a striker need not be the one to score and you have read and comprehended that as "if no goals result". As far as strawman arguments go, yours is definitely the most idiotic I have read on this forum. So, I have to ask, and I ask this quite frankly and honestly, are you just innocently dumb or are you willfully intellectually dishonest?

Brother, we all appreciate Osimhen, but it’s only false 9s that are allowed the luxury of not scoring. Osimhen, best we know, is not and has never been deployed as a false 9.

We love him. Appreciate him. But let’s not redefine what a 9 is just to win an argument

As a Nigerian, I will take victory anyhow we get it. But a 9 is supposed to score. That’s his specialty. Many players can work for you.
Bros, based on his scoring record he does score for us and at a higher rate than our previous strikers…untop of the other good work that he does. He might be having a poor-ish run but we know he’s better than this…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:39 pm

Bros, based on his scoring record he does score for us and at a higher rate than our previous strikers…untop of the other good work that he does. He might be having a poor-ish run but we know he’s better than this…
Agreed. I called him the new Yekini when he broke out and still believe so.

But I don’t like when people try to just reframe things (like what a 9 is supposed to do) just so they can get by. A 9 is supposed to score, and on that front, we want more from Osimhen
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

deanotito wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:36 pmBrother, we all appreciate Osimhen, but it’s only false 9s that are allowed the luxury of not scoring. Osimhen, best we know, is not and has never been deployed as a false 9.

Why is this so hard to comprehend? A 9 or a false 9 or a fantastic 9 or a fumbling 9 has one and only one job when he steps onto the pitch. And it is the same job as every other member of the team. And that is to do whatever needs to be done for his team to win. If you want to keep arguing with that and saying his job is to score, you clearly do not understand what football being a team sport means.

I will take a team that keeps winning with my #9 giving the stellar performance Osimhen gave against Cameroon -- without scoring himself but helping the team to score -- than I would take a team with a #9 who thinks his primary job on the pitch is to score.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:49 pm
YES, it obviously did. He is Nigeria's LION. No one is even close. His effort in this game was off the charts and this is from a guy who regularly gives us 110. This lad is simply incomparable and I do not simply talk about this team but incomparable in Nigeria's football history of well over half a century. Take that to the bank and CASH IT.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:57 pmYES, it obviously did. He is Nigeria's LION. No one is even close. His effort in this game was off the charts and this is from a guy who regularly gives us 110. This lad is simply incomparable and I do not simply talk about this team but incomparable in Nigeria's football history of well over half a century. Take that to the bank and CASH IT.

Yes indeed. There are high horsepower players like Etebo and Yusuf and these are always a benefit to many teams, but there is rare metal that is above and beyond high horsepower. And that is giving everything, adding more -- sweat, tears, and blood, and playing a match like your life depends on it. Victor Osimhen is in that latter class. He is the curse of opposing defenses and we are so blessed for it.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Any update on his injury?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

They did this for the Legend. RIP Sam, I do recall this match back in 1989
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

Baii
Egg
Egg

Post by Baii »

theDunamis wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:16 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:57 pmYES, it obviously did. He is Nigeria's LION. No one is even close. His effort in this game was off the charts and this is from a guy who regularly gives us 110. This lad is simply incomparable and I do not simply talk about this team but incomparable in Nigeria's football history of well over half a century. Take that to the bank and CASH IT.

Yes indeed. There are high horsepower players like Etebo and Yusuf and these are always a benefit to many teams, but there is rare metal that is above and beyond high horsepower. And that is giving everything, adding more -- sweat, tears, and blood, and playing a match like your life depends on it. Victor Osimhen is in that latter class. He is the curse of opposing defenses and we are so blessed for it.
Talk about one who leaves everything on the green grass. Truly has a heart of a lion
“A fanatic is one who entrenches himself in invincible ignorance.”

― OSWALD CHAMBERS, Baffled to Fight Better
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

Baii
Egg
Egg

Post by Baii »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:18 pm Image
This bobo with the Aba made mask no get shame sef. He even branded it with Naija flag. :rotf: :rotf:
“A fanatic is one who entrenches himself in invincible ignorance.”

― OSWALD CHAMBERS, Baffled to Fight Better
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

I want him as captain! It is clear that the players defer to him.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

but honestly, I fear for this young man.
He is constantly being fouled; stepped on and pushed around.
Why is he not being protected by CAF?