Play "The Manager": Should Alhassan start the next game?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Play "The Manager": Should Alhassan start the next game?

Post by Enugu II »

Alhassan Yusuf had an outstanding debut at the AFCON where he gave a 110 performance. Unfortunately, he was carted off after a cruel tackle. Later his injury he was classified as a muscle injury. He has been out since. Now, reportedly, he has been training with the team. However, with the team playing well having won all games since, the question arises:

Should Alhassan Yusuf be re-inserted as a starter on this team?

Bear in mind, that the seeming rise in the performance of this team has been due to two critical factors: (1) players generally upping their game and effort. Essentially, players are giving 110 effort and this applies to some who hitherto had been lackadaisical, (2) The Manager has finally found a formation that has worked incredibly well. One that NO ONE (I repeat NO ONE) on CE ever imagined or put forward! That structure has led to a revitalization of a team that was considered dead for weeks and months prior to this AFCON.

Yet, even the above is now under threat given the fact that with all the higher ranked teams already eliminated from this AFCON, Nigeria may yet relax and slip back to players giving less than 110 believing that mere appearance on the field will lead to victory. However, Alhassan is not one of those. He is always a 110 player. Should he, then, start???

Let us know your TAKE.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Play "The Manager": Should Alhassan start the next game?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

No. No need to change what's working for the sake of change.
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The 433 formation worked in our opening match. It's just that Osimehn didn't finish.

In fact we created FAR more opportunities in that match than any other, while also limiting the opponent to virtually nothing all match.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

No
I am happy
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

These are decisions coaches are paid to make. Whether he plays Alhassan or not, if the team wins he’s a genius but if the team loses, he would be blamed.

I wonder if Randy Waldrum would’ve played Debra Abiodun against England if she wasn’t banned for eternity for that red card 🤔
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

packerland wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:02 pm These are decisions coaches are paid to make. Whether he plays Alhassan or not, if the team wins he’s a genius but if the team loses, he would be blamed.

I wonder if Randy Waldrum would’ve played Debra Abiodun against England if she wasn’t banned for eternity for that red card 🤔
Interesting and astute take.

Sure it is not 100% proof. It is clearly a very difficult decision. While Yusuf is 110 player, one must consider if re-inserting him in the starting line -up could upstage the team's current chemistry. That is very important. However, with him, you can guarantee that Nigeria will be in uptempo mode and will win more balls than if he is on the bench.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Who would he be replacing?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

If he is healthy, and the manager reverts to the formation from the first game, yes. If he plays the 3-5-2 im not sure who he replaces as Onyeka has played quite well in that role, and he wont be replacing Iwobi who is better creatively.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

I hope team chemistry is not tied to 11 players but to the whole team. Also hope it's not tied to one formation. If a player is inserted, he should be able to blend in with the play otherwise, that player should not be on the team. That said, what is important is what works against Angola, I'm sure they've studied our games, especially the last one like we have theirs.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

All three can play together if we play a 3-5-2, which I would prefer to 3-4-3. Onyeka and Yusuf can both play as CMs/DMs, while Iwobi is pushed up as the AM.
metalalloy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:36 pm If he is healthy, and the manager reverts to the formation from the first game, yes. If he plays the 3-5-2 im not sure who he replaces as Onyeka has played quite well in that role, and he wont be replacing Iwobi who is better creatively.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

olu wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:45 pm All three can play together if we play a 3-5-2, which I would prefer to 3-4-3. Onyeka and Yusuf can both play as CMs/DMs, while Iwobi is pushed up as the AM.
metalalloy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:36 pm If he is healthy, and the manager reverts to the formation from the first game, yes. If he plays the 3-5-2 im not sure who he replaces as Onyeka has played quite well in that role, and he wont be replacing Iwobi who is better creatively.
That means that you would have to sacrifice one of Simon or Lookman to fit in a midfielder. (i dont see him dropping either Aina or Sanusi). I doubt Pesiro will want to do that.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

olu wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:45 pm All three can play together if we play a 3-5-2, which I would prefer to 3-4-3. Onyeka and Yusuf can both play as CMs/DMs, while Iwobi is pushed up as the AM.
That right there is what Pesseiro SHOULD do.

But he is too stubborn and loves bare midfields.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

metalalloy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:13 pm
That means that you would have to sacrifice one of Simon or Lookman to fit in a midfielder. (i dont see him dropping either Aina or Sanusi). I doubt Pesiro will want to do that.
Simon is useless.

Why wouldn't he want to do that ?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Would you rather stick Iwobi out wide to accommodate Alhassan in the middle?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cellular wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:19 pm Would you rather stick Iwobi out wide to accommodate Alhassan in the middle?
Yes.

With AlHassan, we will get better defensive play and better hardwork than with Simon.

With Iwobi pushed up to the wings, we will get the same hardwork as Simon, but much better offensive play.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Our starting line up is set. I would not change it unless there is a tactical reason to do so or due to injury. You would only be starting Alhassan now as a matter of preference, not tactics.
Enugu II wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:30 pm Image

Alhassan Yusuf had an outstanding debut at the AFCON where he gave a 110 performance. Unfortunately, he was carted off after a cruel tackle. Later his injury he was classified as a muscle injury. He has been out since. Now, reportedly, he has been training with the team. However, with the team playing well having won all games since, the question arises:

Should Alhassan Yusuf be re-inserted as a starter on this team?

Bear in mind, that the seeming rise in the performance of this team has been due to two critical factors: (1) players generally upping their game and effort. Essentially, players are giving 110 effort and this applies to some who hitherto had been lackadaisical, (2) The Manager has finally found a formation that has worked incredibly well. One that NO ONE (I repeat NO ONE) on CE ever imagined or put forward! That structure has led to a revitalization of a team that was considered dead for weeks and months prior to this AFCON.

Yet, even the above is now under threat given the fact that with all the higher ranked teams already eliminated from this AFCON, Nigeria may yet relax and slip back to players giving less than 110 believing that mere appearance on the field will lead to victory. However, Alhassan is not one of those. He is always a 110 player. Should he, then, start???

Let us know your TAKE.
Last edited by 1naija on Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:16 pm
That right there is what Pesseiro SHOULD do.

But he is too stubborn and loves bare midfields.
How is the midfield bare when you have 4 players there and thats not even counting the wing backs. His 3-4-3 that he reverted to after the first game is a safety first formation that he is highly unlikely to change after it has gotten them this far.

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

danfo driver wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:21 pm
Cellular wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:19 pm Would you rather stick Iwobi out wide to accommodate Alhassan in the middle?
Yes.

With AlHassan, we will get better defensive play and better hardwork than with Simon.

With Iwobi pushed up to the wings, we will get the same hardwork as Simon, but much better offensive play.
Good point.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

Yes.

yep
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

sabb wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:56 pm
Yes.

yep
KPOM!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Yusuf and Onyeka should anchor the CDM/CM role on Friday, gives us more more steel in the midfield while Iwobi gets the free role in a more attacking position behind Lookman/Osimhen.
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

I will stick with the current starters and not start him. I will, however find a way to give a run in the game depending on how things are going so he can get some game action in preparation for when we progress in the tournament. Having said all that, the coach may start him based on what he is seeing in training and thinks Alhassan gives us the the best chance to win.
Last edited by Naija fan on Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

This is the knockout stage of the tournament and any coach worth his salt will not change a winning team. Right now, the gaffer will be looking to fine tune what he has, opposed to changing personnel, to build chemistry and consistency.

Onyeka will start, Alhassan may be introduced to replace a tired Onyeka (Angola are an upgrade on Cameroon) or for tactical reasons if we need to keep things tight in the middle and sacrifice a winger.