SE from the Point of View of Angola's Strengths and Weaknesses

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
SE from the Point of View of Angola's Strengths and Weaknesses

Post by anointed »

Strengths
1. Team work - Hardly a notable player in club football but they've got some slick passing and quickfire counter attack. Their midfield is well oiled. I perceive we will have issues here if we continue with a 2-man central midfield. A team that has won 3 games on the bounce are no jokers.

2. Tall players - Does well for them in defence and they are dangerous in attack. I guess it's probably why they play a lot from the wings

Weakness
1. Their defence isn't all that and error-prone. It led to the red card collected by their goalie. That defence for me is a kinda weak link. The central defence appears to struggle a lot. I noticed Namibia breached that defence a lot of times but was naive and not clinical in front of goal. We have been creating chances but the more we do that the better. We must, however, be clinical from the get go.

Summarily
Moses Simon hasn't been so convincing. Why not not pull him out and let Osimhen and Lookman remain upfront. Then introduce another defensive midfielder, probably Alhassan (if fit) or Onyedika to pair Onyeka. It will help the midfield flow and counter attack of Angola. It will also afford Iwobi the opportunity to take charge of playmaking better. Even in his deep role, he has made stuff happen each time he made forays upfront. He was involved in our second goal against Cameroun.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg
Re: SE from the Point of View of Angola's Strengths and Weaknesses

Post by nzeogwu »

Agree. But by adding Yusuf into the equation and using the last starting line up from the Cameroon game, we will therefore switch to a 3/4/1/2 with Iwobi being the free one and occupying the right wing and ‘roving right behind Lookman and Osimhen.

The holders become Onyeka and Yusuf and the wing backs in my opinion should be Bruno and Aina.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Thank God say no be una be coach sha. We do not play a two man midfield. Not even in the attacking phase.
The team will maintain the same formation. Depending on how Osimhen plays - similar to CIV where he held the line versus CMR where he ran channels and was the first pressing action, we might see Samu in for Moses. And of course injuries might force Uzoho on us.

Otherwise, expect no changes. Let’s see what the “slick” Angolan midfield can do.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

waka-man wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:53 am Thank God say no be una be coach sha. We do not play a two man midfield. Not even in the attacking phase.
The team will maintain the same formation. Depending on how Osimhen plays - similar to CIV where he held the line versus CMR where he ran channels and was the first pressing action, we might see Samu in for Moses. And of course injuries might force Uzoho on us.

Otherwise, expect no changes. Let’s see what the “slick” Angolan midfield can do.
Wakaman

LOL. It appears CE only understands midfielders are those who play centrally. Those midfielders who play in wide areas do nit count. That is primarily how midfielders is conceptualized by several persons on CE.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

waka-man wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:53 am Thank God say no be una be coach sha. We do not play a two man midfield. Not even in the attacking phase.

Wakaman

LOL. It appears CE only understands midfielders are those who play centrally. Those midfielders who play in wide areas do nit count. That is primarily how midfielders is conceptualized by several persons on CE.

It is the same false interpretation that you get when SE releases an invitation list if players.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

A 2-man central midfield, not a 2-man midfield.

When we have to defend, it shows.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:34 am

Wakaman

It is the same false interpretation that you get when SE releases an invitation list if players.
You jumped the gun here, Prof.

You are writing stuff not even tangential but totally off point. If we go by your thrust, then we can put Chukwueze and Simon in the central midfield and send Onyeka and Iwobi to the flanks.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...and folks still riveted and fixated with formation.
Just give me best, fit, and good 11 players.
They are not kindergartners, they know their roles, and have played the game many times before.
They understand the task at hand...win!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

anointed wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:40 am

In the transition phase, at least one of Lookman and Simon make up a third central midfielder, and often Bassey or Ajayi make a third in the attacking phase.

At no point are Iwobi and Onyeka isolated as a pair in midfield. It’s why we’ve always had the triangles to get out of tight spaces and lots of protection in front of the back four.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

The only thing that can stop the SE from beating Angola is complacency
I am happy
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Dammy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:39 pm The only thing that can stop the SE from beating Angola is complacency
Kpom!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

Dammy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:39 pm The only thing that can stop the SE from beating Angola is complacency
Finished, end of discussion, nothing more to add!

Position by position, Player strength by strength we are the better side.
I expect a tough game and 1 goal difference victory for us.
Peter Obi For President 2023
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

...And that will happen if we do not respect the opposition.

We cannot afford to be missing too many glaring chances, nor should we indulge
in Latin shenanigans with the Angolans who are the African version of Ecuador.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:33 am

Wakaman

Absolutely correct. Most people here only consider central players as midfield :) ers
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

waka-man wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:15 pm

In the transition phase, at least one of Lookman and Simon make up a third central midfielder, and often Bassey or Ajayi make a third in the attacking phase.

At no point are Iwobi and Onyeka isolated as a pair in midfield. It’s why we’ve always had the triangles to get out of tight spaces and lots of protection in front of the back four.
They often are though the opponents have been clueless enough not to know.

Matter of fact, we suffer from this too. In fact, there's no team in this world that doesn't fall prey to fast counters of not more than 4 touches from start to finish. Counters are a game of numbers except when clueless players like Simon wants to run with the ball instead of letting the ball do the running. Then backtracking players can deal with whoever is isolated.

Once a loose comes from, say, CK that isn't well defended and the passes are long and on-point, what you just wrote is pure paper work. Reminds me of Ronaldo, Rooney and Park vs Arsenal.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

We will lose to any team out of complacency.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

anointed wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:04 pm

Matter of fact, we suffer from this too. In fact, there's no team in this world that doesn't fall prey to fast counters of not more than 4 touches from start to finish. Counters are a game of numbers except when clueless players like Simon wants to run with the ball instead of letting the ball do the running. Then backtracking players can deal with whoever is isolated.

Once a loose comes from, say, CK that isn't well defended and the passes are long and on-point, what you just wrote is pure paper work. Reminds me of Ronaldo, Rooney and Park vs Arsenal.
You shifting the argument.
I didn’t say we can be over-run. I’m simply saying you’re wrong to think we only have 2 in centre mid. I suspect you’re just looking at diagrams on the internet instead of actually watching and seeing what’s actually happening on the field.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

waka-man wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:23 pm
anointed wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:04 pm

You shifting the argument.
I didn’t say we can be over-run. I’m simply saying you’re wrong to think we only have 2 in centre mid. I suspect you’re just looking at diagrams on the internet instead of actually watching and seeing what’s actually happening on the field.
Diagrams ko, diaphragms ni :taunt:
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

mcal wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:14 pm ...and folks still riveted and fixated with formation.
They are not kindergartners, they know their roles, and have played the game many times before.
Kpom! Kpom!
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

mcal wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:14 pm ...and folks still riveted and fixated with formation.

THANK YOU, SIR, I'M NOT OBSESSED WITH FORMATIONS EITHER

As you said, just give me the best (appropriate 11) and let their movement be dictated by the flow of the ball. Let the players play mostly instinctively instead of having their brains clottered with numerical permutations. I'm aware of no match won by a formation.
Bell
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

anointed wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:05 pm
We will lose to any team out of complacency.
I’m sure we all know that bro. The thread is about the match against Angola
I am happy
NationsCup
Egg
Egg

Post by NationsCup »

Good knowledge of the opposition is necessary to know 'good 11 players' that will feature in the team. The players need to know there role on the field.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Bell wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:30 am

THANK YOU, SIR, I'M NOT OBSESSED WITH FORMATIONS EITHER

As you said, just give me the best (appropriate 11) and let their movement be dictated by the flow of the ball. Let the players play mostly instinctively instead of having their brains clottered with numerical permutations. I'm aware of no match won by a formation.
Bell
Even if the best 11 are all strikers? How are you deciding on “best”? What qualifies as “appropriate”?