Some Nigerian Footballers Who Went Broke

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Some Nigerian Footballers Who Went Broke

Post by anointed »

Details in the link

https://fb.watch/pXjMOzBAdR/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Some of these stories are just heart rending, particularly that of Femi Opabumi. Was also aware of the efforts of Amaju Pinick to rehabilitate Wilson Oruma.

This isn't just peculiar to Naija billionaire athletes who hit hard times in retirement. Once did a study and wrote a paper on it. It's a worldwide scourge of sportsmen, whose knowledge of life is threadbare. Leon Spinks, a former heavyweight boxing champion became a doorman. The finances of several NBA stars, who were multi-millionaires just nosedived because of bad choices.

Someone in my locality tried to organize a workshop for sportsmen and women in order to prep them for life after retirement. None of the Sunshine Stars players attended. Some of them around the stadium hustling for little change by begging. I know of 2 who saw the signs. One of them got some training in landscaping and the other in aluminium roofing. I believe they are okay.

It's a microcosm of our former SE players. Some have invested wisely, whether in capacity diversification or business ventures and have transited into prosperous retirement but the others, not so well.

Some of these stories are gut wrenching but, apart from Opabumi's story, I don't know whether to pity them or not.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe