What Manner of Defence is Peseiro Putting Up for Zaidu?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
What Manner of Defence is Peseiro Putting Up for Zaidu?

Post by anointed »

Is he saying he's a left back [in his club] and cannot cope with the speed of being wing back?

Or it's the owngoal writeup that lacks clarity?

For me, it would seem Zaidu is not bad defensively but just pants going forward

https://owngoalnigeria.com/2024/02/02/w ... left-back/
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
olu
Egg
Egg
Re: What Manner of Defence is Peseiro Putting Up for Zaidu?

Post by olu »

Zaidu is not bad defensively but is doing poorly going forward. He plays better as a LB than LWB. I wish this team had a player like Victor Moses that is excellent in the WB role.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

He is happy with Zaidu. He has good positional awareness, athletism and a good engine. The problem is that he has been average to poor offensively, which I feel Peseiro can live with.

Remember the game Osayi started how annoyed Peseiro was with his positional awareness. Zaidu will always start for him.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

That's not what he said. He said the 3-4-3 system is not an easy system for wing backs to play because they have to sprint fully to support the attack, and run back fully to defend. He was speaking in general to explain why the reporter may have thought Zaidu didnt particularly play well.

I personally thought Zaidu defended well, but made a couple of poor decisions with the football on offense. He did shut down the Angolan right winger who had been one of their dangerous players until this game, to the extent he got subbed early.

It was a difficult game. The Angola game plan worked to disrupt our plans too. We have to give credit to our opponents sometimes
anointed wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:39 am Is he saying he's a left back [in his club] and cannot cope with the speed of being wing back?

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

It's not easy to cover 8 miles per game and Zaidu does that very well. Have y'all noticed that when the S Eagles are attacking, he is always up there with the attackers? It takes an immense amount of stamina to do that. And obviously when you have more players in attack, it makes it harder for the opposing team to defend the play.

The guy is an awesome defender and a player who always supports the attack. Also, keep in mind that Nigeria’s 3-4-3 system is quite hard to execute without players like Zaidu who have the stamina and fitness to be where they are supposed to be depending on the phase of the play.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Nigerians must always pick on someone
I am happy
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

YUJAM wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:42 pm It's not easy to cover 8 miles per game and Zaidu does that very well. Have y'all noticed that when the S Eagles are attacking, he is always up there with the attackers? It takes an immense amount of stamina to do that. And obviously when you have more players in attack, it makes it harder for the opposing team to defend the play.

The guy is an awesome defender and a player who always supports the attack. Also, keep in mind that Nigeria’s 3-4-3 system is quite hard to execute without players like Zaidu who have the stamina and fitness to be where they are supposed to be depending on the phase of the play.

Very well said. Many folks here just assume that if in their estimation player X is not playing well, just change him. They give no pause or thought to the overall team, available resources, chosen system, and the requirements for each role on the team needed to execute that system.

Is it possible to bring in another player that offers more offensive firepower on the left? Highly probable. Will that player offer the same defensive armor as the one you want to change out? Highly improbable.

Based on the press conference after the QF match, Zaidu is doing what Peseiro needs from him the most. And he will hopefully improve and get better in the important but lower priority areas of the role Peseiro wants him to play. The areas that he is not as accustomed to but is stretching himself to execute for the team. A stretch goal of sorts for him and so his manager understands that and is not just patient with him, but grateful to him.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Dammy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:58 pm Nigerians must always pick on someone
especially those from the north, this thread is a huge disgrace . YOu take ZAidu out the system will collapse , he will eventually get it right, They forgot his free kick as well. I tire for bad belle agents .
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

1naija wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:22 pm That's not what he said. He said the 3-4-3 system is not an easy system for wing backs to play because they have to sprint fully to support the attack, and run back fully to defend. He was speaking in general to explain why the reporter may have thought Zaidu didnt particularly play well.

I personally thought Zaidu defended well, but made a couple of poor decisions with the football on offense. He did shut down the Angolan right winger who had been one of their dangerous players until this game, to the extent he got subbed early.

It was a difficult game. The Angola game plan worked to disrupt our plans too. We have to give credit to our opponents sometimes
anointed wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:39 am Is he saying he's a left back [in his club] and cannot cope with the speed of being wing back?

Aina is playing in the same system and excelling. We can't whitewash the fact that Zaidu has had some shaky performances both on offense and on defense in pretty much every game so far. Even Peseiro highlighted the one big mistake he made early in the Angola game where he gambled and missed the ball and the Angolan created a chance that led to a corner kick.

He has been excellent for us in the past going both ways, but appears to be in spotty form at the moment. Whoever is behind him must be worse form than him for him to maintain the confidence of the coach.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Don’t understand the constant attack on our left back?

The team has only conceded a single goal and since the team changed formation they have shut all teams out playing with Zaidu.

He is a defender therefore he will make mistake when attacking as he doesn’t have a strikers instinct.

He plays at a higher level then the entire backline, has won the league in Portugal & the cup, is currently our only defender through to the knock stage of the champions league.

Are people suggesting that Bassey play the wingback role for 90mins in the heat??? How quickly we forget his performance against Ghana when Nigeria failed to qualify for the World Cup.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

metalalloy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:17 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:22 pm That's not what he said. He said the 3-4-3 system is not an easy system for wing backs to play because they have to sprint fully to support the attack, and run back fully to defend. He was speaking in general to explain why the reporter may have thought Zaidu didnt particularly play well.

Aina is playing in the same system and excelling. We can't whitewash the fact that Zaidu has had some shaky performances both on offense and on defense in pretty much every game so far. Even Peseiro highlighted the one big mistake he made early in the Angola game where he gambled and missed the ball and the Angolan created a chance that led to a corner kick.

He has been excellent for us in the past going both ways, but appears to be in spotty form at the moment. Whoever is behind him must be worse form than him for him to maintain the confidence of the coach.
Aina has a lot more experience as a wing back which was the main position he played in Italy and is probably where he's most comfortable in, the same can't be said about Zaidu who has practically been at Left back his whole career. IMO the main thing that keeps him in our XI is his workrate, his end product and technique might be subpar but there isn't a player in the team that covers more ground than him
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

He makes at least 2 really bad defensive errors in every single match he has played.

So far we have not been punished, but the law of averages says it will soon come back to haunt us.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:19 pm He makes at least 2 really bad defensive errors in every single match he has played.

So far we have not been punished, but the law of averages says it will soon come back to haunt us.
Like most defenders
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

anointed wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:28 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:19 pm He makes at least 2 really bad defensive errors in every single match he has played.

Like most defenders
Rewatch the Angola game.
Remember the close save by Nwabaili?
Watch it again!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Like most defenders
That is just a bold faced lie, especially given how solid our defenders have been at this tournament.

Troost and Bassey have literally not put a foot wrong in 5 matches.

Ajayi may have had one or two moments over 5 matches.

Aina has been outstanding.

Zaidu has had at least 2 VERY BAD mistakes every single match.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:41 pm

Like most defenders
That is just a bold faced lie, especially given how solid our defenders have been at this tournament.

Troost and Bassey have literally not put a foot wrong in 5 matches.

Ajayi may have had one or two moments over 5 matches.

Aina has been outstanding.

Zaidu has had at least 2 VERY BAD mistakes every single match.
You are the one that keep lying to look for something to biitch about, like fictionalizing a Lookman that waited for a Simon pass whereas he was running in at top speed. I know there'd be snow in Sahara first before you own up to that.

Most defenders make defensive mistakes in games. Our first goal against Cameroun was from their defender's error. Ola Aina made at least one against Angola, though he tracked back to make amends.

But neither Zaidu nor any of our defenders has made that serious defensive errors to warrant a goal concession. The only goal we conceded came from a midfield error. Even the Angolan ball that hit the bar was from another midfield error.

We also watch the games.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Dammy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:58 pm Nigerians must always pick on someone
Havent you watched Aina play the opposite position?

At least now you know why Zaidu’s performance has been under scrutiny …
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

I’m going to confess that before this tournament is never watched
Zaidu perform nor knew what region of the country he was from.
Unfortunately he’s not only a victim of his under performing play but it
gets highlighted even more in contrast to the rest of his defensive mates including the goalie.
Sorry it’s not a crime to be honest and observant.
He’s the weak link in an otherwise outstanding and well coached defensive back line
Last edited by Sleaky72 on Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

And by the way, some may disagree but if I’m picking the most outstanding player for Nigeria it would rank

1. Aina
2. Lookman
3. Osimhen
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:05 pm I’m going to confess that behavior this tournament is never watched
Zaidu perform nor knew what region of the country he was from.
Unfortunately he’s not only a victim of his under performing play but it
gets highlighted even more in contrast to the rest of his defensive mates including the goalie.
Sorry it’s not a crime to be honest and observant.
He’s the weak link in an otherwise outstanding and well coached defensive back line
?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

You are not qualified to say what a bad defensive error is. All defenders, during the course of 90 minutes, will make several missteps but his teammates are usually there to cover for them. That’s how a good defensive line functions. Even Aina himself was beaten on occasion but one of Ekong and Ajayi was present to diffuse the threat. You should stop picking on players you don’t like due to your ethnic biases🤔❗️

Cheers.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:06 pm And by the way, some may disagree but if I’m picking the most outstanding player for Nigeria it would rank

1. Aina
2. Lookman
3. Osimhen
1. Osimhen (key to the style of play)
2. Iwobi (key to the style of play)
3. Lookman (2nd best SE overall)
4. Ekoong (he should not retire yet)
5.Bassey (Solid)
6 Aina (bonafide superstar, I wish they would play him on the left)
7 Nwabali (Nigeria would have struggled without him)
8 Moses (I wish he would think to pass first rather than drible)
9 Omeruo (solid)
10 Ajayi (suspect)
11 Zaidu (perhaps he is injured)
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:31 pm

You are not qualified to say what a bad defensive error is. All defenders, during the course of 90 minutes, will make several missteps but his teammates are usually there to cover for them. That’s how a good defensive line functions. Even Aina himself was beaten on occasion but one of Ekong and Ajayi was present to diffuse the threat. You should stop picking on players you don’t like due to your ethnic biases🤔❗️

Cheers.
It's really pathetic to cry "ethnic bias"

Especially against somebody who has been screaming that Alhassan Yusuf be included in the squad and START matches.

Not only is it pathetic but makes you look foolish.

Zaidu has been the weak link of our team.

Many people have called it out.

Do you watch the games ?