SE vs RSA: What I Expect...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
SE vs RSA: What I Expect...

Post by txj »

1. A game of patience on either side.

SA like to build up to the final third and then play short combination passes in the final third.
Expect them to struggle to find space when the Nigerian block sets into a low block.

2. On the other side, expect Nigeria to orient the block and press from the center toward the flanks, allowing a 1v1 in wide areas, with the expectation that superior individual defending will triumph.

3. Based on its 4-4-2, expect SA to look for overloads, playing from wide centrally, to facilitate the short give and go combination passes.

4. For the SE, will require great discipline and quick transitions in the non-possession phase. Should be noted, the lack of searing pace on the breakaway by SA, but the movement is sneaky good...

5. Two main differences between the two sides.
- Superior Nigerian power vs greater endurance by SA
- Greater Nigerian explosiveness in attack, especially in wide areas.

6. Main Concern: Early start, re-Weather
- RSA successfully slowing the game down with numbers in a low-block vs SE getting anxious and forcing things...

Lookman and Alex will need to be on top of their game.
An early SE goal undermines everything...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
tedder89
Egg
Egg
Re: SE vs RSA: What I Expect...

Post by tedder89 »

So you’re saying there’s a chance……? :D
txj wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:55 pm 1. A game of patience on either side.

SA like to build up to the final third and then play short combination passes in the final third.
Expect them to struggle to find space when the Nigerian block sets into a low block.

2. On the other side, expect Nigeria to orient the block and press from the center toward the flanks, allowing a 1v1 in wide areas, with the expectation that superior individual defending will triumph.

3. Based on its 4-4-2, expect SA to look for overloads, playing from wide centrally, to facilitate the short give and go combination passes.

4. For the SE, will require great discipline and quick transitions in the non-possession phase. Should be noted, the lack of searing pace on the breakaway by SA, but the movement is sneaky good...

- RSA successfully slowing the game down with numbers in a low-block vs SE getting anxious and forcing things...

IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

ATF, this is some rocket science ish you just spewed right thurr.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Txj,

While I agree with what you mostly mention, I do not think South Africa will set up in a low block. They have not done so in multiple games and I believe the chances of doing that in this game is low and a risk. If they do, they will have to confront not only the crosses to Osimhen, which will become plentiful but they may face the danger of conceding several set pieces. Will that be a preferred option? I do not think so but we shall see.

Instead, I believe they will rely on ball possession particularly in the middle areas to try to lure Nigeria out of the latter's defensive block. South Africa can do this and they know they have the players in the middle to accomplish this goal.

In my view, the key is the pace in wide areas for Nigeria and the immense danger that Osimhen poses both on the ground and in the air. This may force South Africans into desperate defending as we saw Cameroon do unsuccessfully. In my view, it will be a tall task for the South Africans with their hope being to keep the ball in the middle and playing for set pierce opportunities around the Nigerian box.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:48 pm

Txj,

While I agree with what you mostly mention, I do not think South Africa will set up in a low block. They have not done so in multiple games and I believe the chances of doing that in this game is low and a risk. If they do, they will have to confront not only the crosses to Osimhen, which will become plentiful but they may face the danger of conceding several set pieces. Will that be a preferred option? I do not think so but we shall see.

Instead, I believe they will rely on ball possession particularly in the middle areas to try to lure Nigeria out of the latter's defensive block. South Africa can do this and they know they have the players in the middle to accomplish this goal.

In my view, the key is the pace in wide areas for Nigeria and the immense danger that Osimhen poses both on the ground and in the air. This may force South Africans into desperate defending as we saw Cameroon do unsuccessfully. In my view, it will be a tall task for the South Africans with their hope being to keep the ball in the middle and playing for set pierce opportunities around the Nigerian box.

RSA do not use a NOMINAL low block. I should've been clearer...
What I mean is that they will transition into it as phases of the game demand.

But the key thing IMO is that mid tempo possession game, and looking to string the game along without conceding and waiting for the break through as you noted above...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:48 pm

Txj,

RSA do not use a NOMINAL low block. I should've been clearer...
What I mean is that they will transition into it as phases of the game demand.

But the key thing IMO is that mid tempo possession game, and looking to string the game along without conceding and waiting for the break through as you noted above...

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Biko what does this mean? Playing from wide towards the center? Wetin?

Wha choo looking at?!
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Everything stays the same except that Mallam Yusuff will start!

Cmoke
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

I don’t think this game will be won on tactics or formation alone. This is football. Every team can come up with a good plan to beat the opposition but it comes down to who has the mental strength, endurance, character and who wants it more. It’s one thing to plan to stop a team on paper, it’s a whole other matter when the game starts.

Like Mike Tyson said, “ Every fighter has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”.
OCCUPY NFF!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:50 pm I don’t think this game will be won on tactics or formation alone. This is football. Every team can come up with a good plan to beat the opposition but it comes down to who has the mental strength, endurance, character and who wants it more. It’s one thing to plan to stop a team on paper, it’s a whole other matter when the game starts.

Like Mike Tyson said, “ Every fighter has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”.
seems you now know about mental strength, endurance, character and who wants it more.

Did you know about this before? for 5 years when you advocated learning? Or you have suddenly found these things?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:55 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:50 pm I don’t think this game will be won on tactics or formation alone. This is football. Every team can come up with a good plan to beat the opposition but it comes down to who has the mental strength, endurance, character and who wants it more. It’s one thing to plan to stop a team on paper, it’s a whole other matter when the game starts.

seems you now know about mental strength, endurance, character and who wants it more.

Did you know about this before? for 5 years when you advocated learning? Or you have suddenly found these things?

Nigeria has the superior power and pace.

Not sure SA has enough guile and talent to rope-a-dope...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

RE: Osimhen

In the event of Osimhen not playing, how do both teams react?

1. A lot would depend on what adjustments Peseiro makes, between all the options available to him.

Options as determined equally by tactical and fitness reasons, re Kele and Moffi.

- Onuachu: means he opts to retain the core Nigerian approach upfront. The key issue would be how mobile does he ask Onuachu to be in terms of where he receives the ball, and how close he asks Lookman to be as 2nd striker...

- Kelechi/Moffi:
---means a change in approach. But does he ask him to play with back to goal or run the channels to receive the ball?
How then does he occupy the CDs, which Onuachu can (unlike Kele) in order to enable SE sustain pressure on SA defence?

How does he structure the movements of the wide players relative to the CF?
-----a more fluid attack or simply more structured?

2. On the SA side:

- Perhaps push the D-line a little higher?
- Emphasize more possession and make Nigeria chase the game?
- Perhaps a chance to push Mudau further high and force the SE wingback to drop back?

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

El Xenophobico will be tentative from the touch of gloves, both slowly getting the feel of the ring and measure of distance. Patience will prove a virtue till the first opportunity to trim the length of her skirt, crop the top and pad the brassiere with a full roll of Andrex.

By rounds 2 and 3, the odd Wilderesque windmill, decent exchanges in the clinches, puffiness around all four eyes. Feet off the pedal 4 through to 6, then a proper tear up both 7 and 8. Three eight counts, a 10-8 followed by a 9-10, the secrets in the score cards. Going the distance? Hardly. Cut man in both corners double sided timesheet.

Seconds out round 10, “big left, big right, lovely uppercut, he’s up against the ropes Jeff; the refs moving in…he’s got to throw something back or this will be stopped”.

“Huge left Barry and he’s down, he’s down”.

“The counts at 8 Jeff, he’s still fumbling for his gum shield”.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

In lay terms, expect much of the same from both sides. The wide forwards will be a problem tactically for the Springboks, who checks their runs? If the fullbacks move in-field, the wingbacks have the wings lest the opposing wingers drop deep, in doing so, the attack and out ball for SA is lost. It would be within reason to move one fullback across to form a back three when the other goes forward but doubt this will be thought of. On the evidence of whats transpired thus far, SA will focus on the flanks with runners from midfield. Durability is certainly their advantage but breaking down a back five takes all manner of tactic and strategy. It'll be long shots and all manner of madness. Not expecting a chess game more two conkers on a shoelace, winner stays on.
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

txj wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:00 pm
danfo driver wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:55 pm

Nigeria has the superior power and pace.

Not sure SA has enough guile and talent to rope-a-dope...
completely agree man for man we are better then add the fact that we are playing as a team
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Coach wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:55 pm In lay terms, expect much of the same from both sides. The wide forwards will be a problem tactically for the Springboks, who checks their runs? If the fullbacks move in-field, the wingbacks have the wings lest the opposing wingers drop deep, in doing so, the attack and out ball for SA is lost. It would be within reason to move one fullback across to form a back three when the other goes forward but doubt this will be thought of. On the evidence of whats transpired thus far, SA will focus on the flanks with runners from midfield. Durability is certainly their advantage but breaking down a back five takes all manner of tactic and strategy. It'll be long shots and all manner of madness. Not expecting a chess game more two conkers on a shoelace, winner stays on.

That's why for me Onuachu starts in the absence of Vic.

Why rope-a-dope when you have a haymaker...

Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Much ado about nothing it seems...

[media]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFq34pFX0AA ... ame=medium[/media]

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

:clap: :clap: :clap: