Chukwu allays fears over late arrival of players

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Adeolu Johnson - Punch sports today

Super Eagles coach, Mr. Christian Chukwu, has said that the decision to allow some of his players to come to camp before the middle of January will not hinder the team’s chances of playing well at the Nations Cup.

Most clubsides are reluctant to release their players, two weeks to the kick-off date of the Nations Cup as stipulated by the world soccer governing body, FIFA, but Chukwu told our correspondent that would not in any way affect the team’s preparations.

“These players are professional players who understand what it takes to do well at the big stage. I am confident that their arrival in January will not take the shine off our preparations,” he said.

Nigeria have allowed skipper Jay-Jay Okocha to play an extra match with Bolton Wanderers before linking up with the national team to prepare for the African Nations Cup.

The English Premiership club, angry at losing the influential midfielder for around six weeks in January and February, look set to have him in their team for the match with Blackburn Rovers on January 10.

Okocha will then leave to join Nigeria at their Portuguese training camp on Friday, January 16.

“In as much as we need these players, we have to understand that their clubs can only release them 14 days to the start of Tunisia 2004,” said Chukwu.

“We have to be seen as a responsible nation which observes stipulated rules so that we do not create this club-versus-country row.

The news came just two days after South Africa’s build-up to the tournament had been hit when veteran defender Mark Fish ruled himself out of contention after he failed to be granted permission to delay his departure from Charlton Athletic.

The 29-year-old asked to join the squad on January 17, after the club’s trip to Everton, rather than on January 7, which would have meant he was available for three extra matches.

But South Africa coach Shakes Mashaba turned down the request so Fish, who last played for his country more than three years ago, has decided to extend his exile from the national team.

“Unfortunately, South Africa just couldnt come to a compromise with me and that was what was required,” said Fish, who has 60 caps for his country and was part of South Africas 1996 African Nations Cup-winning side.
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

My question is when CCC will start decamping players that are sufficient to his requirements or is he planning on keeping 42 players throughout the training camp?
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

mister dolly wrote:My question is when CCC will start decamping players that are sufficient to his requirements or is he planning on keeping 42 players throughout the training camp?
MD:
Why don't you wait and watch? Or do you expect him to post that information on Cybereagles?! The MICROMANANGING that some of us CEs seek to indulge in is quite beyond the pale.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

By Jan the 10th, CCC would have sorted out the boys from the men and the squad will take shape.
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

Gotti wrote:
mister dolly wrote:My question is when CCC will start decamping players that are sufficient to his requirements or is he planning on keeping 42 players throughout the training camp?
MD:
Why don't you wait and watch? Or do you expect him to post that information on Cybereagles?! The MICROMANANGING that some of us CEs seek to indulge in is quite beyond the pale.
Gotti..you bet I'm watching alright..but won't be holding my breath.. :P