For the FINALS, how do we approach the formation/tactics?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
For the FINALS, how do we approach the formation/tactics?

Post by Tobi17 »

It seems everyone is now critical about the 343 formation due to the high balls by the SA's that for once in the tournament gave us several uncomfortable moments...with the likes of Nacho and Moffi now tasting tournament action, should either of the two play alongside Osimhen in attack to give us more bite? which means we might have to go with 352 on Sunday against CIV...I think 352 gives us more attacking impetus as well as giving us a solid defensive shape. I think with that formation, Onyeka and Yusuf can anchor the midfield while Iwobi finally get a free role behind Osimhen/Moffi.

What are your takes guys
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: For the FINALS, how do we approach the formation/tactics?

Post by Undertaker »

And L O O K M A N????????
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

I think the issue with the long balls from SA was because Vic wasn’t fit enough to lead his usual intense high press which normally doesn’t give the defenders time to think of placing accurate long balls.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:21 am It seems everyone is now critical about the 343 formation due to the high balls by the SA's that for once in the tournament gave us several uncomfortable moments...with the likes of Nacho and Moffi now tasting tournament action, should either of the two play alongside Osimhen in attack to give us more bite? which means we might have to go with 352 on Sunday against CIV...I think 352 gives us more attacking impetus as well as giving us a solid defensive shape. I think with that formation, Onyeka and Yusuf can anchor the midfield while Iwobi finally get a free role behind Osimhen/Moffi.

What are your takes guys
Who is everyone and who in their right mind would be critical of our best formation in the last 4 years? :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

danfo driver wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:02 am
Tobi17 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:21 am It seems everyone is now critical about the 343 formation due to the high balls by the SA's that for once in the tournament gave us several uncomfortable moments...with the likes of Nacho and Moffi now tasting tournament action, should either of the two play alongside Osimhen in attack to give us more bite? which means we might have to go with 352 on Sunday against CIV...I think 352 gives us more attacking impetus as well as giving us a solid defensive shape. I think with that formation, Onyeka and Yusuf can anchor the midfield while Iwobi finally get a free role behind Osimhen/Moffi.

What are your takes guys
Who is everyone and who in their right mind would be critical of our best formation in the last 4 years? :lol: :lol:
The thing just Dey baffle me!!!!

Today we had some problems because we faced a team that tested us in multiple ways. We persevered and this really should have been a 2-0 victory.

We go with the same exact starting line up on Sunday even if Zaidu is fit. I think Aina and Osayi worked out the kinks as the match wore on. Adingra is now fit and will be a handful.

I’ve seen enough of Yusuf to know that he’s trouble. I said if after the EQG game. He runs too much and wants to mark everything. He needs to be more tactically astute. Iwobi gives us so much control in possession. He has to start. Onyeka is the engine.

Same formation, same line up. Let’s go.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ugbowo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:13 am

What are your takes guys
The thing just Dey baffle me!!!!

Today we had some problems because we faced a team that tested us in multiple ways. We persevered and this really should have been a 2-0 victory.

We go with the same exact starting line up on Sunday even if Zaidu is fit. I think Aina and Osayi worked out the kinks as the match wore on. Adingra is now fit and will be a handful.

I’ve seen enough of Yusuf to know that he’s trouble. I said if after the EQG game. He runs too much and wants to mark everything. He needs to be more tactically astute. Iwobi gives us so much control in possession. He has to start. Onyeka is the engine.

Same formation, same line up. Let’s go.
Yup. he is Not a DM. In a 3-man midfield, he was the box-to-box midfielder against EQG. In a 2-man midfield, he'd need a natural DM beside him, with fantastic positioning. Frank Onyeka is NOT that type of DM.

I truly want us to win this trophy and then celebrate for 2 weeks and thereafter, get to building on this foundation. I am excited at the possibility of what we could add to this team.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

What are your takes guys
I think Tobi is still crying in his car. Give him time.
OCCUPY NFF!!
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Nigeria needs to go with 4-3-3. South Africa saw that Nigeria sat deep and defended and pressed from the midfield so they opted to launch floaters to strikers to get between the lines. They positioned Tau next to Ekong who was targeted as the slowest CB and it almost worked.

Ivory Coast will be coming into the Nigeria match wiser. They will target the defensive hole in the midfield called Alex Iwobi.

Paseiro should go with this formation

---- Ajayi ---- Ekong ---- Omeruo --- Calvin ---

----- Onyeka ----- Iheanacho ---- Aina ------

---- Simon -------- Osihmen ----- Lookman ---
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

kali wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:53 am Nigeria needs to go with 4-3-3. South Africa saw that Nigeria sat deep and defended and pressed from the midfield so they opted to launch floaters to strikers to get between the lines. They positioned Tau next to Ekong who was targeted as the slowest CB and it almost worked.

Ivory Coast will be coming into the Nigeria match wiser. They will target the defensive hole in the midfield called Alex Iwobi.

Hmmm I like this formation
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:08 am
kali wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:53 am Nigeria needs to go with 4-3-3. South Africa saw that Nigeria sat deep and defended and pressed from the midfield so they opted to launch floaters to strikers to get between the lines. They positioned Tau next to Ekong who was targeted as the slowest CB and it almost worked.

With this your line-up, and if we are to go with it. I will rather play Lookman in Iheanacho position (attacking midfielder) in a slightly more advanced role when we are with the ball and attacking, then move Iheanacho to Simon position, then move Simon to Lookman position. Then I will swap Aina and Onyeka as Aina will be more productive from the right side of the midfield.

This is how I will use your line up

----- Aina ----- Lookman ---- Onyeka ------

---- Iheanacho-------- Osihmen ----- Simon ---
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

onovo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:25 am

With this your line-up, and if we are to go with it. I will rather play Lookman in Iheanacho position (attacking midfielder) in a slightly more advanced role when we are with the ball and attacking, then move Iheanacho to Simon position, then move Simon to Lookman position. Then I will swap Aina and Onyeka as Aina will be more productive from the right side of the midfield.

Here is why I chose that formation:

1) I put two good defenders on the left because CIV likes to operate from that wing. Aina and Calvin.
2) Reinforcing the left side with Aina would allow Lookman more freedom to play an advanced attacking role
3) Iheanacho knows how to play attacking midfielder and unlike Iwobi knows how to defend.
4) Simon role would be to combine/cross to Osihmen or run into the box with Iheanacho through balls.
5) In attack this is what you would see for more options in scoring:

---------------Onyeka --------------------- Iheanacho ----------------------------

------- Simon ---------- Osihmen -------- Lookman ------------- Aina ----------

Or

--------------- Onyeka ---------------------------------- Aina ----------------------

-------- Simon -------- Iheanacho --------- Osihmen --------- Lookman ------

Or

-------- Onyeka ------------------------------------------------------------ Aina -------------

------------------------------ --------- Iheanacho -------------------------------------------

--------- Simon --------------- Osihmen -------------- Lookman ---------------------------
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kash n' karry »

:evil: :twisted:
i wish it ain't CIV we playing in front of their home team in the finals for a revenge match in their minds
We have to include Iheanacho to shore up Osimhen's efforts. We will have to play very well in the early portions of the game and try to score 1 may be 2 goals to unsettle them in front of their fans.

Hints::: I personally think Osihmen and Iheanacho will be highly motivated to register their goals in this finals to break away from their goals droughts on the scorers boards.

This CIV that i have seen tends to start their games very slow and disoriented, the good thing is that CIV is not as good as Cameroun or South Africa and their keeper is not as good as the South African keeper.

We still have to work immensely on our offense bcos it is not precise and it is very wasteful.... :atc: Drills of positioning our forwards in strategic points as we dash forward towards the opponents box will have to be praciticed intensely. i am so glad we played South Africa in the semi's bcos they provided us with ample examples of (off the ball) strikers positionings.
==============================================================
Aaaaggghhh gaaddammnn ittt.... Wherez my Heineken + big wet pink bubble booty chics ??
:mrgreen:
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

onovo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:25 am

your formation makes sense.....nice one
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

CIV is still running on a high from their narrow escape. We just need to focus, play our game and dissect them by taking the oxygen away from them and the fans. If we do that in the first z35 mins, they will crumble.
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
Penarity
Egg
Egg

Post by Penarity »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:34 am

What are your takes guys
I think Tobi is still crying in his car. Give him time.
Hahahaha... The only Emir in town, you crack me up. Poor Tobi! He is as passionate as Osimhen.
There is nothing to learn from someone who already agrees with you.
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

Im glad some of yall aint coaches 🤧