It is time for the NFF to launch Operation Columbus

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Babadee
Egg
Egg
Re: It is time for the NFF to launch Operation Columbus

Post by Babadee »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:43 am It is time for the Nigerian Football Federation to launch Operation Columbus - An audacious attempt to win North America 2026 with an ambitious roadmap that looks something like this

Ayo Akinfe

[1] First and foremost, the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) needs the presidency on board. We are not a European nation where football is self-financing and is run professionally. If we want to succeed we need President Tinubu aboard

[2] We need to urgently recruit a world class coach like say Herve Renard, Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp, Zinadinr Zidane, etc

[3] President Tinubu needs to put together a consortium of sponsors who will meet all the financial obligations of this project. As happened in the US after the bombing of Pearl Harbour, the likes of Dangote, Otedola, Adenuga, Rabiu, Elumelu, Alakija, Onyema, Chukwuma, Ibeto, etc all need to be invited to Aso Rock and signed up to the project

[4] We then need to start the process of filling in the gaps in our squad. Two years is a long time in football and several of our current crop will be past their best come 2026

[5] One player we desperately need to woo is Michael Olise. This team desperately needs a genuine playmaker. This young man, who is currently being sought by Liverpool and Man United is still available as he is yet to play senior football for anyone else

[6] We have some good centrebacks but we desperately need to woo Tosin Adarabioyo. Apart from the fact that he is younger than the 30 year olds Ekong, Ajayi and Omeruo, we need his pace. Today, South Africa showed us that even Bassey is not quick, so reinforcements are desperately needed

[7] Personally, I want to see us revert to a 3-5-2 formation as it allows us to play to our natural strengths of pace and flair

[8] This 3-4-3 formation has shown that we do not have enough talent in the wingback positions. Not enough crosses are coming in from out wide, so clearly more talent scouting needs to be done

[9] Stanley Nwabali has proven that if we search hard, we can stumble upon good goalkeepers. More scouting needs to be done to uncover at least more keeper of such quality

[10] We then need to start a sensitisation campaign as to win the World Cup, we need to believe we can do it. How about coming up with a slogan that sounds like this: Operation Columbus to win the World Cup - A Task That Must Be Done
the only undefeated team out of 24 using 3-4-3 yet you ppl are never satisfied?

the coach will be stupid to change it back to 4-3-3 or 4-4-2

I think its time to focus inward and build a CHAN team that challenge SE. SA will most likely win the next chan because 80% of their team is home based.
NFF need to focus on u15, u17, u20 and u 23.

It sad that no u20 or u23 player can be drafted into this team like Kanu, Aghahowa, Mikel, Taiye Taiwo etc
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

olu wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:08 am I could see Tosin playing for us soon. Igo Ogbu and Gabriel Osho are two others we need at CB too.

Benjamin Fredrick and Abel Ogwuche from the U20 are two others we should keep an eye on
I predict Tosin will switch. Especially if we win. Bassey and Iwobi will go back and tell him how much fun they had and how Nigerians celebrated them. Tosin is the major missing link in that defence. Good size and good ball skills. I will then see Ajayi making way, either to the bench. Not sure if we can get a better crossing LB than Zaidu. Zaidu in my view is athletic, average ball skills and IQ (this is my own observation). He is good enough, so this is not as pressing but will sure like a left back that can whip a cross rather than lago!.

I'd like Ndidi in placeof Yusuf. FYI - check my post, I didn't fall for the Yusuf hype - I held him primarily accountable for the ECQ goal - He as positioning issues / aka not great at reading...this kind of issues are not what players improve upon at 23 hence his value. This is why he conceeded a pen against SA.

We need a good back up Goalie.

We can use a creative midfielder.

I'll start from here and then build out
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

icee wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:18 pm
olu wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:08 am I could see Tosin playing for us soon. Igo Ogbu and Gabriel Osho are two others we need at CB too.

Benjamin Fredrick and Abel Ogwuche from the U20 are two others we should keep an eye on
I predict Tosin will switch. Especially if we win. Bassey and Iwobi will go back and tell him how much fun they had and how Nigerians celebrated them. Tosin is the major missing link in that defence. Good size and good ball skills. I will then see Ajayi making way, either to the bench. Not sure if we can get a better crossing LB than Zaidu. Zaidu in my view is athletic, average ball skills and IQ (this is my own observation). He is good enough, so this is not as pressing but will sure like a left back that can whip a cross rather than lago!.

I'd like Ndidi in placeof Yusuf. FYI - check my post, I didn't fall for the Yusuf hype - I held him primarily accountable for the ECQ goal - He as positioning issues / aka not great at reading...this kind of issues are not what players improve upon at 23 hence his value. This is why he conceeded a pen against SA.

We need a good back up Goalie.

We can use a creative midfielder.

I'll start from here and then build out
Come the World Cup, I suspect our back three will be Awaziem, Adarabioyo and Bassey. In midfield, once we get Olise and Ndidi returns, we should be fine. It would be nice to have another Babayaro but I do not just see any on the horizon at the moment.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Operation Columbus has already failed. Any preparation for 2026 would be in its final phases now, having been effective for the best part of a decade.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

As for Olise, highly regarded by England and easy on the Dauphin’s eye too. Won’t be easy. England have a plethora of emerging wingers, it would come as no surprise were he to shun them outright and turn a Mexican standoff between the Algiers, France and Nigeria. Everyone pull the trigger, what’s the worst that can happen.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:10 pm
Dammy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:21 am
Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:43 am It is time for the Nigerian Football Federation to launch Operation Columbus - An audacious attempt to win North America 2026 with an ambitious roadmap that looks something like this

Ayo Akinfe

[1] First and foremost, the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) needs the presidency on board. We are not a European nation where football is self-financing and is run professionally. If we want to succeed we need President Tinubu aboard

[2] We need to urgently recruit a world class coach like say Herve Renard, Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp, Zinadinr Zidane, etc

[3] President Tinubu needs to put together a consortium of sponsors who will meet all the financial obligations of this project. As happened in the US after the bombing of Pearl Harbour, the likes of Dangote, Otedola, Adenuga, Rabiu, Elumelu, Alakija, Onyema, Chukwuma, Ibeto, etc all need to be invited to Aso Rock and signed up to the project

[4] We then need to start the process of filling in the gaps in our squad. Two years is a long time in football and several of our current crop will be past their best come 2026

[5] One player we desperately need to woo is Michael Olise. This team desperately needs a genuine playmaker. This young man, who is currently being sought by Liverpool and Man United is still available as he is yet to play senior football for anyone else

[6] We have some good centrebacks but we desperately need to woo Tosin Adarabioyo. Apart from the fact that he is younger than the 30 year olds Ekong, Ajayi and Omeruo, we need his pace. Today, South Africa showed us that even Bassey is not quick, so reinforcements are desperately needed

[7] Personally, I want to see us revert to a 3-5-2 formation as it allows us to play to our natural strengths of pace and flair

[8] This 3-4-3 formation has shown that we do not have enough talent in the wingback positions. Not enough crosses are coming in from out wide, so clearly more talent scouting needs to be done

[9] Stanley Nwabali has proven that if we search hard, we can stumble upon good goalkeepers. More scouting needs to be done to uncover at least more keeper of such quality

[10] We then need to start a sensitisation campaign as to win the World Cup, we need to believe we can do it. How about coming up with a slogan that sounds like this: Operation Columbus to win the World Cup - A Task That Must Be Done
I agree with you totally. I’m sure the FG has seen how football unites the country like nothing else despite the economic hardship.
The King of Morocco has given support to the national team and the results were evident in the last World Cup. He even speaks directly to dual nationality players and their families to convince them to play for Morocco. Tinubu or at the very least, the Sports Minister must be involved in speaking to our dual nationality players.
GEJ set up a similar group headed by the then Rivers State Governor, Rotimi Amaechi, which provided support for the SE in the WCQs for the 2010 World Cup

[1] In 2006, the Ivorian Civil War stopped as soon as the Elephants qualified for the World Cup
[2] Football was the only thing the Taliban could not ban in Afghanistan
[3] In 1969, El Salvador and Honduras fought a 100 day war over a football match

For a complex, diverse developing nation like Nigeria, football is central to out national development as it a glue that can hold so much together. Just imagine what lifting the World Cup would do for the Nigerian "feel good factor."

I can see it leading to an automatic 10% GDP growth rate. It would also attract some investors who maybe had no plans to visit Nigeria previously.
For someone that cannot see that Osaze is not a striker :taunt:

Our Contributing Editor at it again.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enyi wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:01 am
Ayo, everything you said made sense but it all falls apart at 3……

You want to generate money for corrupt individuals?
Which one of these is a corrupt individual?
Dangote, Otedola, Adenuga, Rabiu, Elumelu, Alakija, Onyema, Chukwuma, Ibeto
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

As per Olise:

He is not going to get into the England team
He is unlikely to get into the French team
Algeria is not going anywhere at the moment
His best bet of international glory is with Nigeria

Personally, were I the NFF president I would recruit President Tinubu to the cause. Imagine how honoured these boys would be if they got a call from Nigeria’s president.

Morocco’s recent success is no accident. All those their French, Spanish, Dutch, Belgian, etc players get personal calls from the king of Morocco.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:24 pm As per Olise:

He is not going to get into the England team
He is unlikely to get into the French team
Algeria is not going anywhere at the moment
His best bet of international glory is with Nigeria

Personally, were I the NFF president I would recruit President Tinubu to the cause. Imagine how honoured these boys would be if they got a call from Nigeria’s president.

Morocco’s recent success is no accident. All those their French, Spanish, Dutch, Belgian, etc players get personal calls from the king of Morocco.
Well, what about their recent AFCON failure? The king of Morocco must have neglected to give them personal calls❓🤔😀❗️

Cheers.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Lolly wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:57 pm
Enyi wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:01 am
Ayo, everything you said made sense but it all falls apart at 3……

You want to generate money for corrupt individuals?
Which one of these is a corrupt individual?
Dangote, Otedola, Adenuga, Rabiu, Elumelu, Alakija, Onyema, Chukwuma, Ibeto
:lol: :lol: Nigeria is truly a funny country. Do you know how these people made their money? I can speak to these:

Dangote - monopolizes market share through government stooges. He bankrolls government officials, who then stifles his competition. This is a fact.

Elumelu - this one was one of "Babangida's boys." During IBB's time, he had a couple of young guys who were bankers in his pocket. These guys helped him move his money. He made all of them absolutely wealthy. Elumelu one of them. Another man whose daughter I dated back in college was one of them.

Alakija - Was a hairdresser to the first lady. She was literally "dashed" her oil block. As in, she was the woman's hairdresser and became the woman's confidant, during the hairdressing. The woman then told her husband to give Alakija one oil block. That was how it happened. I also have first hand knowledge of how Shell almost stole the oil block from Alakija's husband, who was naive... but that is story for another day.

As for the rest, I cant speak about their wealth. I no know them.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Ayo Akinfe

You are a dreamer, and that is your misfortune.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If President Buhari had called Ebere Eze, do you think he would have opted for England? We have to get to grips with the realities of 2024, as dual citizenship is now a major factor in our football.

I firmly believe that it is time to rope Aso Rock in. Only the president can really get a player who has been visited by Gareth Southgate to change his mind.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:54 am This is symptomatic of the cluelessness that afflicts Nigerians; misplaced priorities.

Given the state of affairs in our country, football ought to be one of the last items on our list of priorities and our resources should be channeled to more important things like lifting all of our citizens out of the abject poverty they find themselves in today.

What we need to do, as a matter of life and death, is recruit a world class President, a world class National Assembly and a world class Judiciary and start to address our sorry state of affairs… only then should we turn our attention to football; not for the singular and extravagant purpose of hiring Herve Renard, Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp, Zinadine Zidane or any other imaginary oyibo savior but for the practical and noble
purpose of developing our grassroots football from the ground up, just like other countries do🤔❗️

Cheers.
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Post of the young year, and a proper response to those believing that the solution to all our issues
should be foreign. Imagine a Nigeria with stunning poverty and inflation, hiring a sports coach whose
monthly salary can fund a university staff or feed a hundred thousand hungry folks for same period.
Our 'ITK' local philosophers are quite delusional and they simply can hide the fact.

BTW, this AFCON is the distraction that helps our pretend leaders, and shade their lack of governance ideas.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:32 pm If President Buhari had called Ebere Eze, do you think he would have opted for England? We have to get to grips with the realities of 2024, as dual citizenship is now a major factor in our football.

I firmly believe that it is time to rope Aso Rock in. Only the president can really get a player who has been visited by Gareth Southgate to change his mind.
You think Ebere Eze would have been convinced by a genocidal murderer who in 2020 said that Ebere Eze's people should be careful because he will show them what he showed to Ebere Eze's grand parents during the civil war?

Sure! We lets have a drug dealer call players on our behalf. Someone who cant even call Nigerians in Nigeria and they will pick up his call. :lol: :lol:

You are always a funny man. :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?