10 observations I made from the Bafana Bafana game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
10 observations I made from the Bafana Bafana game

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] Victor Osimhen has got to be the most unlucky player I have ever known. How many goals is VAR going to deny him?

[2] I am a bit concerned that Calvin Bassey is not quick like say Tosin Adarabioyo. With neither Ekong, Omeruo or Ajayi being pacy either, I do not fancy our defenders have to chase back from the halfway line

[3] Moving forward, we need an injection of pace into the back three. Awaziem and Adarabioyo come to mind

[4] Why was Alhassan Yusuf, so casual with that clearance? These are the kind of silly and needless mistakes we need to cut out of out game

[5] For me, a 2-0 victory would have been ideal. Winning on penalties took the shine off it for me

[6] How do we ensure Stanley Nwabali maintains the form for the next six years or so? In the past we have had good goalkeepers emerge but then fade away. He needs a good club career where he will get regular action in a major league, week-in-week-out to keep improving

[7] Why were Simon Moses and Ademola Lokman so ineffective yesterday. Neither of them really threatened

[8] I am pleased that whatever happens, Peseiro is going. Some of his substitutions yesterday made no sense at all. Maybe if he has kept Frank Onyeka on, we would not have conceded that penalty

[9] I hope we know that come the final, Ivory Coast will come at us at 100 miles per hour. They have been gradually improving and will be ready for a fight to finish. I believe the winner will be determined by spirit more than talent

[10] I think Peseiro needs to revert to 3-5-2 on Sunday. He needs Onyeka, Yusuf and Iwobi all in the middle of the park to avoid being over-run in midfield.
Penarity
Egg
Egg
Re: 10 observations I made from the Bafana Bafana game

Post by Penarity »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:27 pm [1] Victor Osimhen has got to be the most unlucky player I have ever known. How many goals is VAR going to deny him?

[2] I am a bit concerned that Calvin Bassey is not quick like say Tosin Adarabioyo. With neither Ekong, Omeruo or Ajayi being pacy either, I do not fancy our defenders have to chase back from the halfway line

[3] Moving forward, we need an injection of pace into the back three. Awaziem and Adarabioyo come to mind

[4] Why was Alhassan Yusuf, so casual with that clearance? These are the kind of silly and needless mistakes we need to cut out of out game

[5] For me, a 2-0 victory would have been ideal. Winning on penalties took the shine off it for me

[6] How do we ensure Stanley Nwabali maintains the form for the next six years or so? In the past we have had good goalkeepers emerge but then fade away. He needs a good club career where he will get regular action in a major league, week-in-week-out to keep improving

[7] Why were Simon Moses and Ademola Lokman so ineffective yesterday. Neither of them really threatened

[8] I am pleased that whatever happens, Peseiro is going. Some of his substitutions yesterday made no sense at all. Maybe if he has kept Frank Onyeka on, we would not have conceded that penalty

[9] I hope we know that come the final, Ivory Coast will come at us at 100 miles per hour. They have been gradually improving and will be ready for a fight to finish. I believe the winner will be determined by spirit more than talent

[10] I think Peseiro needs to revert to 3-5-2 on Sunday. He needs Onyeka, Yusuf and Iwobi all in the middle of the park to avoid being over-run in midfield.
Chief Akinfer, with the knowledge I have gained interacting with folks on this forum, you are wrong on at least three of your 10 points -- 3, 5 (a win is a win), 7 (did you not see what Lookman did on the way to the nullified goal and others), 8 (you are just so wrong on this).
There is nothing to learn from someone who already agrees with you.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:27 pm [1] Victor Osimhen has got to be the most unlucky player I have ever known. How many goals is VAR going to deny him?

Ayo

That #8 is not accurate. Onteka was still on the field when Nigeria conceded the pk. The manager took him off immediately after he was booked in extra time. On the contrary, Peseiro made good substitutions for that game except that some of the timing could be debatable.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

You have to give to these Melody Sundown boys. They refused to be intimidated by English Premier League and Serie A stars:
Penarity
Egg
Egg

Post by Penarity »

It is posts like this that make me doubt the sincerity of folks on this forum. Who cares where they play. Chief Akinfe, you do think if these Memelody Sundown boys had English Premier League invitations, they would decline?

We just don't seem to appreciate anything that is ours. Charity begins at home, Chief Ayo.
There is nothing to learn from someone who already agrees with you.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Make una leave dis tin alone. We done win finish. The only tin wey dey dia be how we go fit win CIV. For me, I say make we use dat awa 3-5-2 formation put Pepper for CIV eyes, dat's all
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Yusuf made the error mistake Ndidi used to make. Lack of concentration fir 90 min is an issue with both players.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

But Ayo you demanded Yusuf. We saw the drop in quality when he came on. Puts himself about but is a disaster waiting to happen. Almost cost us our place in the finals. Not yet ready for the big time.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

waka-man wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:03 pm But Ayo you demanded Yusuf. We saw the drop in quality when he came on. Puts himself about but is a disaster waiting to happen. Almost cost us our place in the finals. Not yet ready for the big time.
He was highly praised after his debut.
Unfortunately, I did not watch that match.
He does not have enough presence to play that position.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

waka-man wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:03 pm But Ayo you demanded Yusuf. We saw the drop in quality when he came on. Puts himself about but is a disaster waiting to happen. Almost cost us our place in the finals. Not yet ready for the big time.
I rewatched that game and I couldn’t believe how much foul Yusuf committed in a short time. He even fouled as SA player right before the penalty foul. The guy was running around like a rat on coke.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I am still a big fan of Yusuf and believe he has a lot of potential. He will have learnt a lot from this tournament and will cut out those he errors, hopefully, before the next World Cup.

If you ask me, Nigeria should play a 3-5-2 formation with a midfield trio of Wilfred Ndidi, Alhassan Yusuf and Michael Olise. If we start working on them now, by 2026, they would have come good as a unit
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

ANC wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:13 pm
He was highly praised after his debut.
Unfortunately, I did not watch that match.
He does not have enough presence to play that position.
Let us put everything into perspective now. Yusuf playing just ahead of Ndidi or Onyeka is a match made in heaven!
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:19 pm

I am still a big fan of Yusuf and believe he has a lot of potential. He will have learnt a lot from this tournament and will cut out those he errors, hopefully, before the next World Cup.

If you ask me, Nigeria should play a 3-5-2 formation with a midfield trio of Wilfred Ndidi, Alhassan Yusuf and Michael Olise. If we start working on them now, by 2026, they would have come good as a unit
Why do you always demand for players and coaches that we have no shot of getting? We had a better shot of getting Eze than Olise. The other day you were calling for your broke NFF to hire Zidane or Mourinho. You mean the same Zidane has turned down all the biggest clubs in Europe to take a break will agree to work in our high stress environment.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

packerland wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:28 pm
I do not believe in the word impossible!
Why do you always demand for players and coaches that we have no shot of getting? We had a better shot of getting Eze than Olise. The other day you were calling for your broke NFF to hire Zidane or Mourinho. You mean the same Zidane has turned down all the biggest clubs in Europe to take a break will agree to work in our high stress environment.

Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

packerland wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:19 pm
I rewatched that game and I couldn’t believe how much foul Yusuf committed in a short time. He even fouled as SA player right before the penalty foul. The guy was running around like a rat on coke.
Daaaaannnnggg bro.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

packerland wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:28 pm

Someone who dreams cannot be forced to stop—there are no limitations to dreams, because we do not own dreams, dreams are from God. Ayo Akinfe has always been a dreamer at heart :D .
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Ndidi-Yusuf-Olise will be our winning formula in 2026!